Take Action in Eco-anxiety!

This post was written by a student. It has not been fact checked or edited.

TopicalTalk-Festival-Standpoint-Images-3

Have you ever felt a deep worry or fear about the future of our planet? That feeling is called eco-anxiety, and it's becoming more common as we learn about the serious problems facing our Earth. Eco-anxiety starts when we see things like forests burning or polar ice melting, and it can make us feel scared or sad. Some people see it as a huge problem that we all need to solve together, while others don't feel as worried. But no matter how we feel, climate anxiety reminds us that we need to take care of our planet and work together to make things better for the future. It's important to understand that climate anxiety affects people differently - some may feel overwhelmed, guilty, or even hopeless. However, it's also a powerful reminder that we all have a role to play in protecting our environment and creating a sustainable future for generations to come. By recognizing and addressing eco-anxiety, we can inspire positive action and make a difference in the fight against climate change.

Moreover, climate anxiety affects people of all ages, backgrounds, and communities. Some individuals, especially those living in areas vulnerable to extreme weather events or environmental degradation, may experience heightened anxiety and stress due to the immediate threats posed by climate change. Others, however, may not feel as worried, believing that technological advancements or government policies will mitigate the impacts of climate change.

From a different perspective, skeptics of eco-anxiety may argue that it is exaggerated and unnecessary, viewing it as a product of media sensationalism or political agendas. They may believe that humanity has faced environmental challenges before and has always found solutions, so there's no need to panic now. Additionally, some individuals may prioritize economic concerns over environmental ones, fearing that efforts to address climate change could harm industries or livelihoods. These contrasting viewpoints highlight the diverse range of opinions surrounding eco-anxiety and its perceived significance.

In my view, climate anxiety is a natural response to the clear evidence of environmental harm caused by climate change. Look at events like hurricanes and wildfires; they're happening more often and are more severe due to climate change. It's not just about the environment either; it's about people. Low-income and minority communities are hit the hardest by pollution and other environmental problems. Ignoring the emotional toll of climate change doesn't help anyone. It's important to talk about climate anxiety because it shows we care about the planet and the people living on it. By recognizing and addressing climate anxiety, we can work together to find solutions that make a difference.

Comments (16)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Hi everyone.
    I would like to say my opinion.
    Eco-anxiety refers to a chronic fear of environmental doom, a condition that is becoming increasingly common as more people become aware of the environmental challenges facing our planet. It's characterized by feelings of helplessness and despair about the future due to climate change, biodiversity loss, and other ecological crises. Addressing eco-anxiety involves not only acknowledging the legitimate concerns it's based on but also promoting positive action and resilience-building within communities to foster hope and collective effort towards sustainability.

1. Yes!! Knowing more about eco-anxiety may scared people often, but what matters is that people put their efforts into helping. Even if it is a small contribution, small things matter. We should learn more about eco-anxiety to learn about its effects and help do something about it!

2. I agree because it is characterized by feelings if helpness and despare but the future climate change biodervsirty loss

• There are many solutions to improve the environment around us. I agree that we should work together to make a change. I get that there are many people who are afraid, but being afraid and doing nothing may cause more harm in the area around you. We need to step it up and make a change!

1. Hi jubilant_harmonica;
      I think you are right. I believe that we all have to work together to protect the environment. But many people are afraid. But the bigger problem is our busy schedule. Many of us are so busy with our work that we don't pay attention to the condition of the environment around us. We don't get time to think about nature. Actually the main problem is our laziness and thinking. In my opinion we need to put more emphasis on protecting the environment. Only then can we succeed. Do you agree about this?

• It's the high time we take actions to protect our climate and environment. We have already been so much careless about climate which has brought us to our present context where climate change has become a threaten for us. If we still neglect it, then who knows what destructive nature of climate is waiting for us. Some people still thinking about economic benefits over climate. But did they forget that if we failed to protect the climate then there is no use in thinking to build a wealthy future? Climate change will affect not only the low-income people but also people of all class of life. People are already suffering from eco-anxiety which shows that they are thinking about climate. We don't need to do much to protect the climate. All we need it to just switch to an eco-friendly lifestyle, avoid cutting down trees indiscriminately and stop doing thing which affect the climate. If all of us become conscious and aware now, then still we can protect our beloved environment and our climate. Let's take a pledge to protect our climate from our individual's perspective. There is no need to think that your individual steps will not come to any help. Several bricks combinedly from a pillar. Similarly, individuals' measures will combinedly help to protect the climate. Firstly, you take steps to protect the climate then inspire other to take step with you to protect the climate. I believe that we together can easily fight against climate change.

1. You are so right! People need to realize the effects of climate change. They need to know more about eco-anxiety. Without knowing what it does, how will we know or learn how to help? People not putting any efforts can only make it worse for the environment and for them. Contributing will help us become stronger and help us put more efforts into helping the environment.

• In my opinion I think taking action now is important to those with eco-anxiety, it help them see that eco-anxiety will be apart of you so embrace an let the possibilities of protecting the planet. We must all come together as one the plan effective ways to help stop climate change. Planting more trees , recycling and reusing plastic, reducing screen time, and walking and riding bicycles can help reduce carbon foot print. We must all come together to stop climate , Afterall it takes all of us to save the planet.

• Protecting environment is everyone's duty. Without environment we can't survive . There are many ways to protect our planet, we can start by eco-friendly practices like reduce, reuse, and recycle. Also, we can make compost heaps which is very easy and cheap for everyone to make. Hence, composting is a good way to recycle food scraps and manage wastes. Also, we can build healthier soil without using fertilizers and pesticides. Saving environment ensure better health to us, let's start together to make sustainable future.

• I also think that eco-anxiety is something that people should talk more about and it's an issue that requires awareness. I didn't know what eco-anxiety was before topical talk even though I had felt it many times in my life, I told my friends about eco-anxiety too and they didn't seem to know either. That means that there isn't much awareness of this issue. I think this is because people don't talk about mental health as openly as other things. Also I have seen people consider anxiety as a bad emotion, maybe because it makes you feel overwhelmed, fearful and nervous. But I believe that anxiety is a good thing, it makes us realize that something is wrong and also forces is to make things right. So yes, talking about eco-anxiety and spreading awareness about it could be a great solution for the climate crisis.

• A lot can be done to improve the environment. Regardless of the anxiety and being scared, because you do not have to worry! You can do a lot without even having to be out in the city. You can plant trees, maybe go outside on your bike to reduce pollution, and you can also lessen the products you use in a day. Let's improve the economy together!

• Hi everyone,
    First, separating environmental waste inside homes by making dry materials alone and liquid materials for recycling. Secondly, planting many gardens within residential cities and planting trees on both sides of the streets. Third, making filters for violations in factories and cars. Fourth, place signboards everywhere urging the preservation of the environment.

• Hello Topical Talkers,
    I agree that people should start addressing eco-anxiety more often. I have found out that in 2023, about 21 animal species went extinct due to climate change. Due to things like this, people should start caring a lot more about climate change and eco-anxiety. Climate change has a lot of emotional impact on lots of people, especially those in areas prone to extreme climate. I believe that everyone should start working together to prevent effects of climate change such as animal species going extinct, because we should all care about the planet we live on, and get food, water and shelter from.

1. Thank you for this comment. Can you think of some actions people can take to help with eco-anxiety?

1. Hi Henrietta@ The economist
        In My own perspective i believe Feeling worried about the environment is totally okay, especially when we hear about things like forests burning or polar ice melting. Some might want to do something about it, like using less plastic or planting trees. Others might feel really overwhelmed and not know what to do.
        It's important to understand that climate change is real and is affecting our planet. But instead of feeling scared, we can turn our worries into action. We can talk to our friends and family about why it's important to take care of the Earth. We can also learn more about climate change and what we can do to help, like recycling or saving energy.
        It's also really okay if some people don't feel as worried about climate change. What's important is that we all work together to protect our planet. By taking small steps and working together, we can make a big difference and create a better future for everyone.
        THANKS 💝❤️

• As humans we treat nature like a credit card with no budget or limits and the fact that we are the cause of every disturbance and problem that occurs across the globe is a testament to how we as humans continue to neglect the planet. An eco anxiety is a result of this neglection. We should not be surprised about the fact that we are suffering because we are the cause for this suffering. Guaranteeing the prosperity of our environment and climate is significant. It's disturbing the way that we've been dismissing these essential issues, driving ourselves into an overwhelming circumstance where environmental change risks all that we love. Assuming we keep on overlooking the signs, who can say for sure what sort of obliteration looks for us? There are still some who focus on transient benefits over the drawn out strength of our planet. However, in my view, they're feeling the loss of the master plan. Monetary increases lose their significance without a steady environment. In addition, everyone, regardless of background or wealth, is affected by climate change. The rise in eco-anxiety demonstrates clearly that we are all deeply concerned about our planet's future. Safeguarding the environment doesn't need to be advanced science. It begins with basic activities like living more reasonably, supporting reforestation endeavors rather than deforestation, and staying away from rehearses that hurt our current circumstance. In the event that every one of us assumes liability and does our part, we can in any case have a huge effect. I'm by and by committed to assuming my part in protecting the environment, and I solidly accept that each individual activity matters. I can recall taking part in a project to clean up my neighborhood. We made a significant difference just by picking up litter and ensuring proper recycling. Furthermore, when we set a model and urge others to participate, our aggregate impact develops. In my view, in the event that we join together and make a conclusive move, we can totally defy environmental change head-on. This is why my dear friends and you all need to talk about eco-anxiety, climate change and environment related issues more often because at the end of the day it doesn’t matter whether you are fighting for racism, poverty, feminism or any form of struggle critical. Overall equality because if we don't save the earth and planet we will be equally affected.

• Hello everyone
    I have never felt eco-anxiety but I do know how to take action and help reduce the amount of people who have eco-anxiety. Eco-anxiety is where people become worried and depressed because of climate change and the environmental issues. We can take action by preventing climate change so that forest fires and ice melting can stop happening. How can we stop climate change? We can stop it by maybe walking to school if we can instead of driving every day. We can save energy/electricity at home by turning the lights off when we are not in our rooms or turning the plugs off when they are out of use.
    Thank you for reading.

• I deeply resonate with your standpoint that to save our planet, more of our actions must speak louder than our words. This also has to be a collective activity because climate change doesn't only affect one place; when an African country might need help, a neighboring country can help provide it. For instance, back in the old age, Ghanaians needed lead to help produce pencils for students to write and learn, so they went to ask a neighboring country to provide a bit, and students were able to write until Ghana started producing. This is to say that in helping save the planet, when a country needs help, she must be bold to announce it, and countries should be able to chip in because teamwork makes the dream work.

• Ways we can take action is giving people the space they need letting them take their time in any subjects because not everyone can project their voice. This is because of fear of being made fun of which stress's the person out.And fear of being bullied.This is why all of us need to take things like this seriously.

• I agree with you, we need to take action on 'Eco-Anxiety'. And, I have a feeling that with increasing eco-anxiety, and increasing public awareness, people surely will take action. I feel, because of social media, people are aware about things which are taking place all around the world and so, according to my observations, people have subsequently changed and they have started taking some certain small measures but some certain measures, and if everyone takes small steps, we can actually try to prevent pollution and eco-anxiety.
    But, I think, in many countries, people don't think so much about the environment and so it is important for people like us, which have ample knowledge about the subject to make them aware. Consequently, we don't have much time, but yes, we can still make it if everyone just think regarding what nature gave and is giving us, and what humans did in response.

• I feel that we need to further inform people who are skeptical about the sincerity of eco-anxiety and climate change that it is not just a political agenda or a marketing scheme. Climate change is very real and it can be seen in our everyday lives! We cannot change everyone's opinion about environmental issues but we attempt to change some with further clarification regarding the situation.

• I think that getting worried about the world is normal, but it is just the way that we think about it that might change our feelings towards it. For example, if you think about it too negatively, it might affect your mental health and this could mean that you struggle to concentrate on other things. But, also there are things that you cannot change, like how the weather or how the climate is affecting different places in the world. Like methodical_kiwifruit said, people may fear more if their country is under pressure and is changing and having to adapt because of climate change. That is okay but they need to talk to a trusted adult or anyone who they trust to let their feelings out. Hopefully, by doing this, they will feel better towards it and see some of the benefits.
    I do think that people need to be aware of the climate and need to be aware of what is going on so that more people take action and at least attempt to help global warming and the wonderful world they live in.