Sustainable style - be a designer!

FastFashion-ThinkingQuestion-Banner

The average person only wears 20% of the clothes they own for most of the time.

This statistic shows that the average person owns a lot more clothes than they actually wear.

This got us thinking about how many items of clothing we really need.

We want you to tell us what you think is the smallest number of items someone should have in their wardrobe. For example, could you live with only owning ten items of clothing? Would you be happy with fewer? Or do you think more than ten would be more realistic? Why? Give us a list of what these items would be with a few explanations.

Tip: think about how an item could be used for more than purpose, such as a large scarf that could also be used as a blanket or skirt, and the materials that they could be made from to ensure they are long-lasting.

Remember to make the items you choose specific to the climate where you live. For example, if you live in a warm country, you might choose to have lighter items – but if you live in a cold country you might need something warmer in your wardrobe too!

Comments (96)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Mainly we all know the advice by now, but it might help to put some numbers on it. Well, apparently, you only need 149 items of clothing – across a whole lifetime. But you can also instead of having so many pieces of clothing you can have just a few that you like and that's it. T-shirts,hoodies,jumpers,shorts,trousers,jeans,socks,nickers and tights. probably, my clothes would be made from wool and they are very very long lasting .

1. That's interesting! Well done for doing your research. Could you share where you found that number so that others can decide whether they think your source is reliable or not?

2. It's interesting to know that we only need 149 items of clothing across our whole lifetime. Can you share more about your opinion on this statement? Do you think 149 items will be enough for you?

3. I'm not sure about this because you dont nessaseraly need 149 items of clothes to survive you could just have a small amount of clothes like some people dont have enough money to get a large amount of clothes plus its terrible for the enviroment because some people once they grow out of their clothes they throw it away in the dump

• About 20 because I think that is reasonable amount of clothes for a person to have.

1. Can you explain what makes this number "reasonable"?

2. Please why do you feel like 20 is the reasonable amount of cloths a person should have?

• 5 pairs of socks 4 pairs of underwear, 6 T-shirts, 3 shorts and 2 jumpers.

1. Would these suggestions work for all times of year in the UK, generous_physics? Why or why not?

2. I'm not sure about this because... what about the trousers. What if it is cold outside?

3. I think you would need more thanjust that what about trousers, jeans, jackets, coats,school uniform,joggers ext you need all of that stuff too it may be better for the world but not good enough for you

4. what if you what to go swimming you need a swimming clothes.

1. I think people agree that having the essentials is fine!

5. Do you feel this amounts of cloths so far is enough for you or anyone to survive with?

• The first question: How many clothes does a person need to own? only ten pieces of clothing in the closet; In order not to work on recycling clothes by transforming the piece into a small bag by redesigning it through the use of a sewing machine, to be used as a bag to carry clips and ropes or other purposes that may cause chaos inside the house, and may resort to converting a piece of jeans into a small handy bag or bag scholastic. Or when the housewife discovers that one of the pieces of clothing is no longer suitable for her child, she immediately gives it to her younger child and a size than him, and works to mend the torn parts so that her child can wear them. Buying ten pieces of clothes is better than buying more than ten pieces of clothes! The second question: What items will you choose?I would choose a large scarf that can also be used as a blanket or skirt, and the materials it can be made from to ensure it is long lasting. Because now it's winter we need a big scarf so I will use it to make more than one thing I guarantee it will last long .

1. I agree with your view point on transforming or mending a garment. How do you think we could improve people's sewing and crafting skills to encourage this positive behavior?

• Clothes suitable for human size, good size, type of material and fabric from which the clothes are made, even if they are of a rather high cost, make the clothes last for a long time. I think the presence of many pieces and wearing them appropriately and decently makes a person confident of himself

1. You have picked some very interesting factors for choosing clothing pioneering_orca. I particularly like your comment on quality to ensure clothing lasts for a long time. Do you think people currently value quality in clothing or do you think people are more interested in buying lots of different items?

2. Thank you for this good comment. Can you tell me what is the importance of fashion from my point of view, and do you think that clothes show a person's lifestyle, and show what is inside him, the form of expression

• I think that I need 20 pieces of clothes and I can use them in more than one way, for example, the striped sweater can be easily coordinated with other pieces of solid colors, as well as the jeans shirt. You can wear it with different pieces and the scarf can be used as a head covering, or wrapped around the neck or tied on your handbag and the white t-shirt can be coordinated with Any color or design of the clothes.

1. I like the way you have given some examples of clothing that could have a wide range of uses here awesome_sea!

2. In my honest opinion I think it is what an individual feels comfortable in that he or she will wear some people do not need up to 20 pieces of clothing they might just need 10 and they are good to go. In addition your environment affects your dressing.

• I really wouldn't recommend on the items of clothing a person needs to own because different people have different preferrences , different areas have different weather changes and different people have certain weather diseases that need them to have specific clothing ,this isn't a bad thing but rather some people just tend to have a lot of unnecessary clothes like during cold weather it is really unnecessary to stock the wardrobe with clothes that mainly help in the hot weather most especially if you have no specific reason for doing so. I want to conclude by saying that a person's number of clothing is determined by them and they have to make it count.

1. This is a very considered response precious_cat. I agree that the environment does impact how many different items of clothing someone might need. Great job!

2. This is a really good point - weather would affect the number of items a person would need to own. Are there any items that you think could be used for more than purpose?

• What will your clothes be made of to make sure they last?
    First, the progress of industry in its various fields has greatly helped humanity, especially in terms of the garment industry. Also, the fabrics in their composition, quality, quality and raw material have varied. Over time, it has become a matter necessary for humanity to know and know how they are made, what those fabrics are, how clothes are made of them, and what they consist of. Because as we know that we are not all the same in creation, and as we differ in the type of skin, is it sensitive skin or not, so there is a group of people who suffer from skin allergies because of the type of clothes, so clothes are manufactured for them that do not cause them allergies, and because our skin differs from one person to another, so it varied The fabrics used in the manufacture of clothes are converted into natural fabrics of plant or animal origin, and synthetic fabrics are not natural, and because the climate of my country is moderate in temperature, so it is cold in winter and hot in summer, so the mother knows what is best for her children. Our bodies are protected from the cold of winter, examples of which are the scarf that warms the neck, socks to warm the feet, and the hat to warm the head, and always focus on buying a made blanket. They are made of heavy fabrics to keep warm while sleeping, but in the summer they buy clothes with a light, soft texture that do not cause them to sweat during summer trips and do not buy clothes that cause them to increase their body temperature.

• I think it depends on the kind of work, personality and social status of the person that determines how much clothes the person needs. Someone like a celebrity or a model cannot have only 10 clothes it will definitely get everyone talking while others like photographers may not need much. As for me I would choose to have more of jeans and casual tops with few jackets and under wears and the tops would be made of cashmere and cotton so that they would last longer.

1. For celebrities and party dresses, I have recently had one piece which can be worn on both sides. Each side has different color. Also this piece can be worn as a skirt, off shoulder dress and halter style as well.

• I think that the number of clothes that a person needs is 30 pieces, and the person goes from time to time to recycle these pieces to become more beautiful, because one piece can be used more than anything. Winter to wear when the temperature drops, and also summer clothes to wear when the temperature rises. I prefer wearing capoe pants, because they last longer, and wearing wool caps, because they also last. I like to buy sweaters made of satin wool, because it lasts more time and is easy to recycle

• The minimum number of clothes that can be owned is at least 10 pieces, including: a blouse, a jacket, pants, a scarf, and others. We should have 3 pieces of each type of clothing. I like the idea of ​​changing clothes from one shape to another, for example, turning the scarf into a dress. Sometimes I stand in front of the mirror and turn the scarf into a dress, so we can use the piece in more than one form. Palestine is hot in summer and cold in winter. It is possible to use the scarf in the winter and use the scarf as a dress in the summer. I prefer my closet to include dresses, T-shirts, pants, skirts, jackets, and scarves. I love cotton clothes because it is soft to the touch, comfortable to wear and long lasting, so I will make my clothes from cotton.

• I think that 15 items of clothing is enough for a person to own. Actually, going clothes shopping can be difficult and confusing.
    The items I would choose are ones that would fit me and look good on me. I wont always follow fashion trends because I may want to keep up with new styles, but if a certain popular look is unflattering on me, I won't wear it.
    I would rather develop my own style and only incorporate trends that fit it well.

I would want my clothes to be made of natural fibers such as cotton, wool, silk, linen, and cashmere because they generally a better bet when choosing clothes that will last. They are easy to maintain and lasts longer.

1. Following fashion keeps us gorgeous. Oversize clothes is a trend that helps us to buy less as we can keep these clothes longer.

• As girls, we are very interested in fashion and clothes and keeping up with them. I see that the clothes are not in abundance, but in the appropriate and appropriate pieces. As a coastal region, a temperate climate needs some basic pieces. For example, we wear wide pants, which can be recycled into a long skirt, as well as basic T-shirts such as white and black, which will be appropriate with all colors And the head cover can also be worn as a coat for the shoulders in the winter, as I need 15 pieces, a suitable number for me

• i feel like the number of items of cloth a person needs to own depends on someone's preferences for example there are some people who hate repeating clothes and in order to repeat a cloth it can take them like 6 months to do it so as me i think 40 items of clothing are enough where by I will have 10 boyfriend pants, 20 shirts which include crop tops, velvet shirts among others, 5 hoodies or jumpers, 5 sweat pants. I would love my clothes to be made from velvet, cotton, linen and silk in order for me to ensure that they are long lasting.

• About 20 cause i think it's the reasonable amount of clothings a person should have in the closet rather than having alot that you cann't consume and later are going to be destroyed

• I truly believe that a persons clothes anywhere in the world that you can have as much clothing as you want ! I would
    try to recycle my clothes but everyone has their own opinion ! it also depends what season your for such in winter you would wear warm and cozy clothes ! in the summer when it is warm I would where not a lot of warm clothing ! thank you for my opinion !!

1. Among recycling clothes. I love what my grandma used to do when I was young. She used to make cotton shorts for us from my grandpa's tops , pencil case out of my uncle's jeans and oven gloves from other fabrics.

• I always like to change and renew my clothes, and I think that a person does not like to wear the same clothes always, he loves to be distinguished and sparkling, so the number of clothes is more than 5.
    I always love to wear Light, loose clothes, but according to the weather, if the weather is warm, wear loose and light clothes, and if it is cold, wear heavy clothes.

• For a seson 7 pair of socks ,4 jeans 3 hoodies ,7 Tshirts , 2 pajamas ,3 shorts 4 jackets and some under garments and I think in summer :cotton is a good and long lasting stuff and for winters : woop is best and can also keep you warm and jackets can be made of leather

• Overall a person needs a minimum of six items in his wardrobe, but he has to use them cleverly. And you might be wondering what I mean by cleverly and I’ll explain it to you. By reusing and recycling your clothes and using them for other purposes that they weren’t t meant to be worn in such as wearing a dress in a form of a skirt , and a shirt. Using a long scarf as a skirt , t-shirt, for head coverage, as blanket, or as an overalls.
    And other pieces we need are: zip up hoodie, pair of pants, a comfortable pair of sneakers for daily use, and a wide comfortable t-shirt.
    If I’d pick the material of my own clothes they’d be made out of cotton for its high quality, and it is a long-lasting material as well.

• You should have at least 7 outfits to sustain you through one week. If you leave your home every day most of those outfits should be outfits for going out, however make sure you also have one casual outfit for when you spend time at home.

1. I agree because... this idea is less expensive and less time spend. Such an individual would not spend time on dry cleaning and arranging clothing instead he or she can spend it on more productive things . This individual will also not have issues with restocking and managing clothing.

2. I don't think having one cloth for casual outfit would be a good idea. For instance when the cloth is dirty and you want to wash it, do you now wear the cloth intended for your outing outfits?. You should have an amount of cloth that will serve as an alternative for another.

• How many clothes does a person need to own?
    I think if a person works and goes out every day, he'll need a lot of clothes, but if a person doesn't work and doesn't go out much, he'll need a little clothes What items will you choose? I will choose summer and winter T-shirts, jeans, cloth, summer and winter hoodies, jackets, fabric pieces for hijab because I am Muslim, shoes, summer and winter parks, and scarves

• We can also invest more in recycled fabrics such as recycled cotton, wool, etc. I feel these might be more accessible.

• I used to listen from my grandfather that he inspite of owning farmlands and great deal of money usually bought to set of cloths for every season. This idea for me was very unbelievable. For me like any young girls it was a dream to own branded cloths and makover etc.
    But after Covid-19 i have learned that i see food in the plate and being healthy are the only luxuries worth affording in future.
    I will buy only 10 items and most of them of linen as the material is more resilient and could be used in all extreme weather conditions.
    Linen is cheaper and reusable febric could be used as quilts and bedsheets as well.

• When you go out for an example with friends, what do you do? It's true that you wear makeup, brush your hair, put on some light makeup, and coordinate your clothes, and the clothes should be like this in the closet. The number of clothes I need is about 50%, because I will divide it into a section for going out with friends, a section for going out at parties, a section for home, a section for hot clothes, a cold section, and a section for education that is respectful, beautiful and elegant.
    I had the idea of ​​using some materials as a large piece of cloth to make it like a jacket in a very easy way, or a bracelet cut off my cheek. Bead it and put it as an ornament on your jacket or skirt.

• A person needs to own only basics and essentials , I would items that I'm comfortable in and can be worn outside and those which doesn't take much space in my closet, my clothes shall be made from long lasting fabrics which keep me warm or cold according to the weather and are soft and comfortable

1. Great ideas sincere_cherry! I like what you said about long lasting fabrics, why do you think that is important?

• What you can do for save your clothes for long time??
    We can do all that things to keep our clothes save:
    ##Take care of washing instructions
    ##Get it right in the washing machine
    ##Repair damage
    ## wash your clothes before storing
    ## cover clothing racks in breathable fabric
    ##Avoid over washing
    ##Try to dress up after doing makeup otherwise lipstick or mascara or other makeup items can untidy our clothes.

• think the appropriate number of pieces of clothes in the closet is 25 pieces of clothes, and I think that we need to wear them all on different days so that the person feels the change. We can wear the white shirt with light blue pants and the long jacket in the winter. We wear boots and a hoodie with it and wear a dark-colored blouse with white pants and with a light-colored blouse with black pants and wear a modern wristwatch with Converse or Nike boots. It will be a beautiful outfit The climate of our country is moderate. In the summer, we need light fabrics with bright colors, in which summer clothes are made, and in winter we need fabrics of dark colors, and the type of this cloth is wool or leather so that we do not feel cold

• Personally I think for a child to a teen no more than 70 clothes as they grow a lot but for an adult no more than 120 pieces of clothing

1. Yep, same for me lovely_heart👗👍

2. I agree because... you counted swimming clothes and tracksuits and when you get dirty and want to get changed

• I think that the appropriate number is 25 pieces because it is the most appropriate because I will use, for example, a white shirt and I will put a cute jacket on it in any color I prefer and on jeans or even I will wear it under a jumpsuit because it will be perfect. Two shoes on more than one wear.

• Shopping is a great activity for time pass ...In my opinion selection should b done very carefully while buying dresses .
    How many items of clothing I need .in pakistan we enjoy four types of seasons .. some cotton Tshirts are enough 2 Geans 2 shalwar qameez one sleeping suit 3 hoodies 3 woolen scarf one sports dress .
    My dress will b of cotton nd woolen for winter .

• I am not against the idea of ​​reducing the number of pieces of clothing, there are some people who own huge numbers of clothes because they are good at arranging and coordinating clothes with each other, but we must take into account that reducing the number of pieces we own saves a lot of money for us, I usually need To 25 pieces of clothing, I can use hoodies as pajamas for the house because now it is winter and the weather is a bit cold, and the scarves are like a hijab, so we can use a large shirt as if it were a skirt, and sometimes we use the scarf as if it were a jacket.

• In my opinion, a person should have at least 100 piecies of clothing, just in case. For example if some get torn, shreded, of destroyed. For the cloting, I would choose both pants and shirts because they are more important, in my opinion. Also, I would probably use Linen Fabric to make sure my clothing last a long time.

• A person does not need to have much cloths .Basically I feel cloth ownership is based on personality and profession. A model can have so many cloth because of his or her constant runway walks and also to make them stand out from the crowd it can also be seen as away to show appreciation to the designers. When it comes to personality some people have much or small cloths based on what they feel comfortable with .

If I am to choose cloths I will pick sweater and jackets because my geographical location is very cold and I do not want to get a flu, secondly I will pick black trouser that are plain so that I can wear them over again and use them for years and no one will know I am repeating them, I will also pick dull coloured shirts so that they can fit into any event.

My cloths will be made from linen because they can last a life time.

• A person does not need to have much cloths .Basically I feel cloth ownership is based on personality and profession. A model can have so many cloth because of his or her constant runway walks and also to make them stand out from the crowd it can also be seen as away to show appreciation to the designers. When it comes to personality some people have much or small cloths based on what they feel comfortable with .

If I am to choose cloths I will pick sweater and jackets because my geographical location is very cold and I do not want to get a flu, secondly I will pick black trouser that are plain so that I can wear them over again and use them for years and no one will know I am repeating them, I will also pick dull coloured shirts so that they can fit into any event.

My cloths will be made from linen because they can last a life time.

• A more basic women's wardrobedepends on the type of activity and profession, which determines the basic things around the external image, and all kinds of clothes.

The basic wardrobe for girls and women is assembled according to the principle - almost 70% of things are the basis of the wardrobe and has a color-neutral wardrobe, and style is less than valuable.

The remaining 30% of clothing are designer items characterized by originality, brightness and expression.

• Concerning the first question ,for me 15 pieces will be enough,where I will pick the most practical pieces. For example,two jeans one black and other is blue.I will pick shirts with neutral colours .Moreove.I will need socks and another necessary clothes.As.the weather in winter is clod .I will need two coats black and brown.

These pieces will not cost me alot,beside ,I will keep being good looking.Because of the simplicity of the colours and designs of my clothes,I will always be satisfied with my appearance.

Otherwise,I could use the money I saved in othet beneficial things

• As for me, the number of clothes you own depends on the kind of work you do, gender, social statues and how often you go out .A farm would definitely not have the same number of clothes as a person who works in an office . Not being bias as girls we tend to have more clothes than they boys .This is because we are more concerned with the way we look than boys .a boy can make due with at least 3 pair of trousers ,2 shorts and with 5 casual shirts .But the case is different for the girls who needs at least 3 trousers,2 jeans ,tights, under-wears and many more.If you are one to always go out you will need more clothes than a person who works from home .

• The items one would choose all depends on the place he or she lives in and they kind of cloth they feel comfortable in . As form me who is dominantly in a cold area and experiences heat once in a while I would probably need,hoodies ,shirts ,skirts ,socks,head-warmers,jumpers ,jackets and jeans.

• My clothes would preferable be made up from natural sources because they last longer than synthetic materials ,and people don't tend to react to it .

• The first question;How many items of clothing does a person need to own?People own an average 148 pieaces.the average women has 103 items of clothing in her closet.but she only wears around 10% of them and considers 21% to be unwearable 33% too tight and 24% too loose.The second question:what items would you choose? I choose to wear cotton clothes and light colours in summer because cotton is a good absorber of water since we sweat a lot in summer cotton clothes absorb sweat from our body and exposes the sweat to the atmosphere making its evaporation faster.I choose long shirts and trousers.and in winter i choose wear woollen clothes because they do not allow the transfer of body heat to the environment and leeps us warms.i also choose to wear jackets shalls and long shoes etc.

• Mainly we all know the advice by now, but it might help to put some numbers on it. Well, apparently, you only need 149 items of clothing – across a whole lifetime. But you can also instead of having so many pieces of clothing you can have just a few that you like and that's it. T-shirts,hoodies,jumpers,shorts,trousers,jeans,socks,nickers and tights. probably, my clothes would be made from wool and they are very very long lasting .

• Normally, people do not need like 1000 types of clothes and don’t really wear them because in that way, it wastes money and worst of all, ( if you are a child) your body grows bigger and bigger and the clothes you brought in the past might not fit anymore.
    The clothes you brought can actually brought by somebody else too and don’t buy too much clothes though, so you can leave some to others. In my opinion, I think cotton and Kevlar is one of the strongest and long lasting fabrics for clothing. They are made out of high quality and the cotton is perfect for (a little bit) cold countries such as the UK and much more. Kevlar provides a strong protective barrier against slashes, cuts and punctures. This strong fabric is inherently flame resistant - protecting against thermal hazards up to 800 Fahrenheit.

• The number of clothes depend on a person personal needs,hygeinic atmosphere.Since in my area,lot if dust,i need separate school clothes,varied home clothes and similarly occasional clothes.Yes,in my locality the rich people rarely using their bought clothes.Mostly,clothes being used in ceremonies rarely get their expiry and we change them instantly.I feel we are showy and try to impress others by wearing variety of clothes.So i would prefer to buy seasonal clothes wool,cambric,lawn and viol and to keep them long lasting,i will use mild detergants.

• How many clothes does a person need to own?
    I think that everyone is according to his opinion and taste because no one prepares his clothes and because there are people who like clothes and care about appearance, but there are those who do not like to care about the appearance or their clothes, whether they are good or not, even if they have as many clothes as possible

• I think the number of clothes needed is 25, and one of the clothes that the Abrahol cares about in the summer we wear it on its own, but in the winter we put a jeans jacket on top of it, and also a jeans jacket that can be used in the winter and summer, and jeans can be used at all times and all occasions, And a bag that I can put things in, and I think it must be made of natural materials and live for a long time so that we can preserve it

• In my opinion a person should own like 2400 pieces of clothes. I would say that because there are 4 seasons and I would say like 60 pieces of clothes each season. I would choose a little cowboy clothes because I like that type of wear. Also like t-shirts to go to places that aren't important and some jeans because i'm a jean guy. My clothes would be made of cotton I love comfy clothes and also silk long sleeve shirts. And I love linen shirts short sleeve they match with jeans. And I hope you like my opinion.

1. Wow- that's a lot of clothes! Why might people argue that is too much?

1. They might argue that's too much because they probably use the clothes more than 5 times i guess. And I say that amount because the people would wear it 2 times.

• I would say a pair of culottes and a sweater would be enough for me. I think the fashion industry has to consider the negative impact it has on other sectors or industries in the world, for instance, agriculture should should be focused on in order to solve the increasing problem of world hunger. Instead of using 4 hectares of land on farming cotton, that piece of land could be cultivated to yield some corn or oats. That's a better approach. Clothes may be long lasting but hunger goes a long way.

• In my opinion, the issue is not the number of clothes, and it is very clear that no one counts his clothes, but the reasonable amount is what fills the cupboard and drawers, no more or less, Because some people like their favorite piece of clothing, so they wear it more often.Other than that.. the thread and wool do a good job in making clothes, and there is no problem with that, in addition to the fact that dealing with thread and wool is very simple, and we can use them to make a small rug, or even a hat.As for the used clothes, we can make beautiful and functional clothes out of them using a simple tool, scissors.

1. I agree because Your comment attracted me very much, I see that you are right 100/100 and I think you have answered my questions and thank you.

• hello every body this is ambitious_engine (wish I could change the name 😡) if you know me (wich you probably don't)you would know I love fashion but I absolutely hate some of the stuff it is made of such as the basic material animal fur it is so soft but it is it harms animals and do not! say this is a vegan teacher kind of stuff but I do really care about animals so not having recycle-able or animal friendly fashion that is (this is a bit of an exaggeration) INDISCRIBEABLE how wrong it is.But I have seen people acting to try fix it such as one day I was in Battersea power station and saw this shop that had these recycle-able t-shirts that they were tiny but if you stretched them they would turn any size you want it like went from size 0 to size like 50 (I can't measure sizes).
    Bye bye signing off ambitious engine!!

1. That sounds like a great idea, clothes that can fit all sizes.

• i think a person can need only 20 pieces cause a person doesn't need many clothes a person can re wear the clothes

1. Thanks for sharing authentic_history, which 20 items would you choose and would this change or stay the same throughout the year?

• So if you don't wear the same clothes a lot of the time all off the people who don't then you can keep the receipt and put that piece of clothing back and don't forget you don't all ways need to use fast fashion

• I think the required number of clothing we should own is 190. I feel this number is reasonable because we need clothes for occasions, casual hangouts and to just wear at home. One cant wear joggers and a hoodie to go for a gala party. It will tag you as an unserious person or so. We need sufficient clothing according to the events we have and for the season change. If I only own 5pairs of socks, 2 dresses, a pair of trouser, 4 shirts and one hoodie. During the summer ill have to wear what i have in my wardrobe and it will make me feel uncomfortable since it is summer and im wearing a hoodie and a trouser which will generate heat to the body. In my opinion i feel we should just have the appropriate number of clothing that will suite the event at particular time.

1. 190 seems like a high number! Are you sure you couldn't get it any lower?

1. 190 pieces of clothing is not too much in my opinion. Having 190 clothes is not too much because as i said above you have to have different clothes for various occasions. You cant go for a casual outing with your friends and keep on repeating the same thing over and over again. When one goes to a clothing store he or she sees beautiful' fascinating clothes that he or she may like to buy and has the money readily available he or she can purchase it. One thing with fashion. When you see a beautiful design the urge for buying it increases because you feel it will look nice on you. Having too much clothing is not bad but when you hoard it and have it in excess its when it becomes a problem. One thing i have learnt is that when you notice you have small clothes and clothes youre not wearing again you are supposed to wash it and iron it and give those in need or make a sale out. After this you can restock your wardrobe if you want to with new sizeable clothing.

2. I disagree because you do not need 190 pieces, because of the different occasions, so there is something that can be done, for example buying jeans that fit over all the short and long blouses, and you can go with them to any place you want, and the striped blouse that you can wear on more than one occasion over more than one pants, and a black blight if you want to be in the winter, black is appropriate for all colors

• I am sure that every raw material you want to use must be simple, inexpensive and environmentally friendly If we go back to the distant past, the ancient man only needed two pieces, and there are still tribes in our time who wear only two or three pieces, yet they are fine, adapting to their climate and circumstances. I am in favor of reducing the number of worn pieces, in a simple way, from five to ten pieces, which is enough to prevent them from being crowded, or if you need another wardrobe and spend more and more, thus creating more space. We live in a temperate climate and need a cotton flaxseed fabric that helps retain body moisture, absorbs perspiration and feels soft against the skin.

• I think that we only wear 20% of our clothes in our wardrobe. This may not be a good thing for our planet cause it puts the pollution problem in first place.
    I read on ,,Laurie B Style" that we throw almost 80% of our clothes whiteout even wearing them more then one time.
    A lot of studies show that we are wearing just 20% of our clothes. I think we are doing this beacuse :we do not like the material, how they look, how they feel on our skin etc.

• People don't need to many clothes as you waste your money and then you might not even wear any of the clothes you bought. I would choose: a coat; dress; jeans ; and a few t-shirts. My clothes would be made of silk and wool to make sure my clothes are long- lasting.

1. Hi Exhilarated_Elderberry - it's interesting to think how we could live with less clothes. Can you think of any downsides of such a limited wardrobe?

• I think people only need a maximum of 10 clothing items. Because you don't have to wear something else every day. For these 10 items, I would choose 2 pairs of shoes, 3 T-shirts, 3 pairs of trousers and 2 jackets or coats or sweaters. My clothes I think, to be able to last long they should be made of cotton because it's a very good material and it's got great quality. However maybe organic cotton is a better option as this is more sustainable.

• Most people love to keep up with latest fashion so for example if a brand like Channel is meant to bring out a latest brand of cloth a lot of people who love fashion would love to get it that particular dress and most times it could be for different reasons, either they want to keep up with latest fashion or they want to feel among and you find out those kind of people have nonstop existing cloths that most of them don't wear or end up wearing it once and that's it. And again I feel like people can buy as much clothes as you need depending on if you have enough resources to get them.
    Secondly everyone has different taste, style or however you want to put it, my style of fashion would not be your style they way I place my colors or what I decided to wear for different occasions can be different from yours. And I have a believe that no matter how beautiful a dress is once you don't feel comfortable in it you shouldn't wear or even think of getting it in the first place, you should get clothes that makes you feel bold, smart, beautiful, and yourself not sophisticated dress that you wear just because you think they are nice or look good on someone else. For me now I love comfy dress, baggy clothes and clothes that brings out my styles and the true me.
    Thirdly I guess everyone loves dresses that last and don't wear off with time, I would use my country now for example here we have fake cloths here that a group of people produce and there is normally a name attached to it we call it here "Abba" clothes and this clothes are not the original but most people buy them cause its cheaper than the original one but with time it fades, wears out and I ask myself why don't we just buy the ones that last even though they are expensive at least they last. As for me I love the material leather cause it is one of the most popular long-lasting fabrics. It is easy to maintain and becomes softer with age. If you have pets, their claws cannot easily tear up leather. This fabric is considered as an all-around material.

• Well in my own opinion, I think it actually matters on the kind of person you are that determines the number and style of clothes you are willing to coup with in your everyday life and also the colour that will suit you best while dressing, we should also consider the fact that people either likes to repeat clothes when wearing at least more than three times and those that does not at all. As for me, I am a very jolly and happy person in nature and having 20 clothes isn't a big deal for me. For example on a normal day, a dark coloured light T-shirt with a fine dark coloured jean trouser with a puffy dark jacket with a comfortable dark coloured pair of shoes and to complete the look, additional accessories of my choice. Linen clothes are the best for me both in long lasting and attractiveness.

• You should have at least 7 outfits to sustain you through one week. If you leave your home every day most of those outfits should be outfits for going out, however, make sure you also have one casual outfit for when you spend time at home.

• i think that a person need about 15 clothing item, for each one to be wore twice a month. for me the items i would choose are, first 3-5 chimese than can be differently styled, in summer they can fit with a shorts or a jeans, in winter with a wide leg pants and a coat, so to have 2 jeans 1 legging with white and black wide leg pants in addition to 4-5 coats for the winter and 3 scarfs for summer. Lastly, i thinm that clothes can be made of elastic and jeans materials for summer and wool for winter.

• I think having a reasonable and decent collections of clothing items depend on countries climate that country to country varies I live in pakistan here four seasons trend to bring diversity in our clothing .Besides, culture also matters inhaving clothing items. in addition to seasonal clothing here is trend of some " fancy and cultural dresses " having beads pearl and emberiodery that are used on weddings functions and cultural events Ineed to own 15 items. 2 fancy one for wedding and one for the cultural events in school and community.4 T shirts with half sleeves that can be used inners in the winters and outers in rest of seasons 3 hodies that can be used in winter ,2 genes. 3 pairs of socks and 1 shalwar qameez. That is our national dress and used at the time of " ibadat" my clothes would be of cotton, silk and wool.

• of view, I consider that owning more than piece of clothing will make the person happier and have wider options, but addiction and overabundance in buying clothes is a bad thing, especially fast fashion clothes.

• Lebanon has a moderate climate. For this, it is worthwhile for us in Lebanon to bring winter clothes and summer clothes. So the least may be two home pajamas made of satin, because satin is very popular, and clothes made of satin are Beautiful . Also we shoul have at least 3 pieces to wear when we going out from home, is better to be made of silk, as silk is an amazing summer fabric, it has antibacterial properties and a natural protein texture that allows for easy ventilation, silk is believed to be a climatic fabric due to its ability to regulate Temperature, Silk also absorbs moisture, allowing your skin to breathe.
    The same amount of clothes for the winter, I like it to be made of natural cotton, but as we know, fabrics made of cotton are damaged after several washes, and the colors of the dress begin to fade. So it would be better to make them from polyester, which is an artificial fabric that is not natural. Polyester fabric is very resistant to natural conditions, so it stays for very long periods. And this is the secret of its use for some long-term industrial applications. Among the characteristics of polyester fabric is that it is durable, resistant to chemicals, and resistant to wrinkles, shrinkage, stretching, and scratches, and that is why washing polyester fabrics is very easy, and it is a strong fabric, it is lightweight. It is easy to dry and retains its shape for a long time, so it is easy for you to wash and dry it at home, also that it dries quickly.
    But polyester has several drawbacks, it is considered a pollutant for the environment due to the difficulty of its decomposition and because of the materials it is made of.

So and from my personal point of view, I consider that owning more than piece of clothing will make the person happier and have wider options, but addiction and overabundance in buying clothes is a bad thing, especially fast fashion clothes.

• I think about 150 items because you can just wear something for a few days and then you can put it in the wash I personally wear stuff for about two days

• hello,i love fashion and having new clothes and the more interesting is going shopping and seeing the new designs and pick what i think is nice and fit me most i have about 120 item of clothing in my wardrobe but i don't like clothing materials that are made from animals skin or fur i think i have a lot of clothes so i donated the and gave some to my sister i also donated jackets because its the winter season in my country i think keeping up with the latest fashion and buying designer items clothing can be expensive it better to buy them time to time than everytime you go shopping . and you should have a verity of cloth and good material in my opinion the best clothing item is or organic cotton because its soft and i think people should have at least 30 items of clothing. bye

• I can't tell you a specific number of clothes that everyone owns, because this number varies from one person to another according to the  Economic situation , the general taste, the preferred style and the personality of this person.  But I admit that I have a lot of clothes that I don't use because they are uncomfortable and beautiful for my taste, but some of these clothes I can't do without like : hoodies and the wonderful wide pants that are in fashion now.  And these I can coordinate completely differently from what they are, and there are many accounts on Instagram and YouTube channels that help us with this;  For this reason, these clothes can stay with me for long time, because they can be coordinated, as I said, and also have great quality, and other than that, they are fashionable at this time, and I do not think that they will become a cringe thing in the near future.  What I'm saying is that I can cheat with a few clothes but depending on what clothes they are

1. Do you think that the accounts on YouTube and Instagram that you follow can encourage people to be more sustainable?

1. I cannot determine that, but whoever goes for their help is the one who can determine.

• It is not possible to determine how many pieces people have because of the different nature of their lives, such as when comparing the category of adolescents, who needs more clothes because of the number of times they get out of the house.While other students have fewer clothes because they do most of their work from home such as online courses and home studies, expect average pieces in the 10 summer:Jeans, canvas trousers, black trousers, shirts, two pyjamas, blouses. In winter we can use some summer pieces with the addition of a wow jacket and scarf in a different way.I prefer to have my clothes in a neutral balloon so I can easily coordinate them in more ways than one way.

• As someone who doesn’t care a lot about having lots of cloth i find that i need about 7 items of clothing. But when you think about people who love clothes and different types of fashion, i would say that they will have at least 15 items which are completely different from each other, because these people might want to be able to wear different types through out their week. Also, some schools let you wear what you want so these people might want to have lots of cloth, so they can switch between these clothes.

• When buying a shirt from somewhere like Primark you wouldn't buy a cheap plastic one because that is very bad for the seas and animals . As brands always want more money it is not fair that they use plastic which is bad , they sell it cheap and that's why a lot of people buy their clothes from that brand . To make my clothes long lasting I would buy my clothes from a shop good for the world and make sure not to throw clothes away and waste them !

1. What materials are more susatainable?

1. Young and leading fashion designers in India have opted for more sustainable choices. They use natural dyes made from barks, leaves, and petals and organic fabrics like bamboo, soyabean, and banana to promote recycling and upcycling. These are good quality and long lasting clothes. If we could have special labellings for these so that the consumers could be aware of this and buy these more, we could make a great change. These would create less waste as well for they can be recycled and upcycled.

• I think you need about 30 pieces of clothing because you only need pants , socks , trousers , t shirts , jumpers and 1 swimming costume you don't need lots of things these are the things you will need.

• i think you need about 40 clothes when your a child because children get dirty easily and when your an adult 60 or 70 because tracksuits and swimming clothes

• 50 if they are a fashion designer 20 if you need and 8 if you don’t like clothes

• I would pick 5 dresses 10 tops so with the ready all together it would be 70

• Personally, i think that we should give some of our unwanted clothes to charity or to people in need because if we only wear 20% of our clothes we might as well give some of them to people in need. It could make someones day amazing if they went to a charity shop and picked up pieces of clothing they needed and love, and just knowing that it can make someones day completely would also personally make my day entirely too. It would also make an affect on our lives by freeing up space in our homes, so you arent hoarding clothes and things you dont really need. With the cost of living crisis at the moment taking clothes to a charity shop would be extraordinary for a person that isnt as fortunate as others in our community. Also, taking things to a charity shop could help less fortunate people spend less money on clothes they actually need instead of expensive shops . Sometimes its nice too have nice, fancy, expensive clothing but sometimes you need to think of other people as well as yourself. Obviously im not saying that you cant buy expensive and nice clothing but you dont need as much clothing as you probably think.It can really have a huge impact on someones life by just getting a simple a simple t-shirt or jeans. I quite often donate clothing to people, but most of the time its clothing that doesnt fit me anymore or is just not my style. This may not accord to you but when i do something nice to someone else it makes me equally happy or even happier. Think about other people sometimes and not just yourself. some clothing arent as affordable as others, so sometimes going to charity shops is better becuase you can get second hand clothing instead of spending a fortune on clothing from Zara, new look, river island, gucci. ect/. Just remember too sometimes think about otherpeople and not just yourself.

• I think personally that in your lifetime you would need about 20-50 items of clothing , but because prices are getting less affordable for people to buy people can't buy that much . To be honest ,it would be easier if people living in the crisis of expense could go to the charity shop because if you buy clothes from like, new look, river island ,Zara and many more the clothes they are selling are just going to get more expensive and these people aren't able to heat their homes,feed their family, pay rent or pay to keep their homes running.

• A person on average doesnt need to got to the clothing shops everyday but some people do.You don't need to have 20 peices of the latest clothes to keep up on the trend because it just does'nt matter clothes are clothes,and they all do the same thing.Don't they? Plus if the don't do the same thing,what do they do? Do they feed you or keep you hydrated?Do they make your vision better,give you money(some peices of clothing waste your money)give you tickets to the best concert ever? No it does'nt! they all do the same thing so if you see something nice,Get it!But just don't keep returning it and returning it.If it does'nt fit,then then sell it or give to someone who would need it.

• For me as a student and on school days, I need about 7 to 9 pieces of clothes… For example, I need 2 school uniforms to switch between and 3 pajamas to get my things done at home, as we spend 6 hours at school. As for vacations, I must have a jacket, shirt, and a white bag that I use with all clothes, and black shoes in addition to white school shoes. As for trousers, I can also use school pants. I prefer all my clothes to be in black and white.

• I can't estimate a nomber of items clothing, because we're different in things what we need ,but I see that we can buy some items that we can from it decorated a wonderful outfits for example in winter:one jacket,two jeans , 1 or 2 shoes , 3 golf T_shirt in different colours, 2 hijap if you wear it .In summer 2 t_shirt and 2 slippers and we can use two jeans . I saw a video about the clothes and because our body size be different from year to other they faced a big problem the clothes be small so they think to have a solution and they suggested with their friends to exchange their clothes with their selves and like this we can faced q big problem and we help our family even a little.

• I think I should not have more than 50 pieces of clothing .I would have a few basic t-shirts, a little black dress, a blazer, hoodies, two pairs of well-fitting jeans, a skirt, tank tops,socks, and a knit sweater. I wish to wear clothes made of cotton as it is more sweat stain resistant. They have a unique smoothness and a finer drape. Also, are much more breathable than polyester blended fabric.

• Half a dozen undergarments, few t shirts and trousers made of good cotton, and 1 or 2 woolen clothes is what is essentially needed for me. However, I own much more. After reading this topic taken for discussion, I understand how much I too have contributed for the disaster caused by fast fashion.
    I think I would reduce the purchase moving forward.
    Since we are a tropical country, we need clothes made of good cotton mix. That would last long. Woolen clothes especially for southern part of India is of no use. Since there is hardly any winter here.

• I think that we only need around 30 pieces of clothing because you could always adjust the size or use it differently. For example, you could take an old scarf and make it into a fashionable shirt, use a shirt to make a sustainable shopping bag, or make mittens out of socks. The list goes on and on. There are many ways to use an old piece of clothing and make it a sustainable object with just a sewing kit or machine.
    Generally, natural fabrics like organic cotton or linen (made from plants) are more sustainable than man-made products like polyester and nylon (which are petroleum-based which takes hundreds of years to biodegrade.

1. What do you think would help convince people to start using their clothing more creatively as you suggest @contemplative_signature, and buy less fast fashion?

2. I disagree because... when it comes to fast fashion, I believe that time is not really taken to develop the clothing so it is barely even sustainable, when we talk about other type of fashion fine 30 pieces of clothing might be enough but not when we talk about fast fashion I do not agree because time is not taken to develop those clothing

• For me i dont need much clothes i rather style what i have better than buying new ones every week or when the new ones i bought are already used, growing up my dreams has always been the same which is to become a model designer.I think 30 pieces of clothes would be more than enough because you can style one piece in more than one way.

• I think that we only need around 20 pieces of clothing because you could always adjust the size or use it differently. For example, you could take an old scarf and make it into a fashionable shirt, use a shirt to make a sustainable shopping bag, or make mittens out of socks. The list goes on and on. There are many ways to use an old piece of clothing and make it a sustainable object with just a sewing kit or machine.
    Generally, natural fabrics like organic cotton or linen (made from plants) are more sustainable than man-made products like polyester and nylon (which are petroleum-based which takes hundreds of years to biodegrade natural fabrics also tend to be soft and smooth so they could really make my clothings the other thing is that they are also elastic that they can expand if I also expand in size so I it could really take a lot of time for a clothe made of natural fabrics to wear out. According to me I could choose sweater pants, pajamas, T-shirts, jumpers and at some point jeans because in these I can put on some in the coldness and some are truly light so that I can wear them at any time.

• It depends on your climate and temperature. If you live in a hot climate like Spain, you’ll probably have less clothes than someone up north. I would say you’ll need about 60 pieces of clothing in a hot climate and around 175 pieces of clothing in a cold climate since you’ll have to wear many layers of clothing to keep warm. In a hot climate, loose and thin clothing is important because you don’t want to make yourself hot.

• _ Personally, I think we should give some of our unwanted clothes to charity or to the needy because if we only wear 20% of our clothes, we might as well give some to people in need. It can make someone's day amazing if they go to a charity shop and buy items of clothing that they need and love, and just knowing that this can make someone's day can make my day personal too. It will also affect our lives by freeing up space in our homes, so you can't store clothes and things that you don't really need. With the cost of living crisis right now, taking clothes to a charity shop would be unusual for someone who is not as fortunate as others in our society. Also, taking things to a charity shop may help less fortunate people spend less money on clothes they actually need rather than in expensive shops. Sometimes it is good to have beautiful, fancy and expensive clothes but sometimes you need to think of other people besides yourself. Obviously I'm not saying you can't afford expensive and beautiful clothes but you don't need as many clothes as you think, they can have a huge impact on people's lives just by getting a simple t-shirt or jeans. I often donate clothes to people, but most of the time their clothes no longer fit me or are not my style anymore. It may not work for you but when I do something nice for someone else it makes me happy or even happier. Think of others sometimes, not just yourself. Some clothes aren't as affordable as others, so sometimes it's better to go to charity shops because you can get used clothes instead of spending a fortune on clothes from Zara, new look, River Island, and gucci. Etc /. Just remember to also sometimes think of other people and not just yourself.

1. I do agree not all of us use all the clothes we buy and it would be nice if we give some of our clothes to people in need it would make their day and put a smile on their face and they will finally have some better clothes and nice clothes they would be so happy, so the clothes we don't use or don't need we should give them away.

• I think a person needs to own a minimum of 4 shirts, 2 pants, 4 pairs of socks, and unlimited underpants. I would want my clothes to be made out of cotton cause it last longer than normal materials.

• A person would need to own at least one pair of clothes, some shirts, pants, and a load underpants, so about 15 items of clothing at the very least. I think it's better for a person to own more clothes for hygiene, but some may not be able to afford much but a few t-shirts and a pair of pants. Of course, a person would need to buy more clothes after growing out or getting it damaged or unrepairable.
    Personally, I'd prefer to own a jacket, pants, underpants, shirts, sweaters, socks, and a pair of slippers or shoes.
    To ensure my clothes are long lasting, I'd be sure to check the material it is made of. There are many types of fabric or clothing material, but specific ones like linen and polyester tend to last a longer time, and depending on what material it's made from, it's also less likely to shrink when being washed. It's best to avoid washing them in hot water or high dryer settings, people often find troubles with wearing their clothes after it shrunk after being washed.

• A person should own at least 100 pieces of clothing. I would choose underpants, shorts, shirt, skirt,shoes,jeans, leggings , jacket, coat and of course footwear. I think that these items are important to have because you never know what could happen especially in today's economy, including climate change. Personally I'd own Shirts , jeans, jacket and footwear, and underpants. Those are the main items I feel like they're are essential. My clothes would be made out of recycled nylon ,organic hemp, and recycled polyester.

• For me, I think a person needs to own 50-100 items of clothing, because it is important to not only have clothing that you like, but it's also important to have clothing that fits the weather, like for example, you may want to wear a long-sleeve shirts and sweatpants on a cold day. The clothing should be made out of wool so they can last for a pretty long time.

• I think that we need way more than 10 items of clothing .I think that because most people wear an outfit for a day don't even go out of the house then claim that its dirty and put it in the dirty clothes basket and that is really just a waste for clothes.I also think that people don't need a lot of clothes because they'll just sit in the closet .

• Everyone needs to own 10 pairs of clothes.I would choose 10 pairs of dresses with 10 pairs of heels and shoes 10 pairs of shorts to.They wood all be made out of wool so they can last very long.

1. Why is wool a good material do you think?

• Personally, i think that we should give some of our unwanted clothes to charity or to people in need because if we only wear 20% of our clothes we might as well give some of them to people in need. It could make someones day amazing if they went to a charity shop and picked up pieces of clothing they needed and love, and just knowing that it can make someones day completely would also personally make my day entirely too. It would also make an affect on our lives by freeing up space in our homes, so you arent hoarding clothes and things you dont really need. With the cost of living crisis at the moment taking clothes to a charity shop would be extraordinary for a person that isnt as fortunate as others in our community. Also, taking things to a charity shop could help less fortunate people spend less money on clothes they actually need instead of expensive shops . Sometimes its nice too have nice, fancy, expensive clothing but sometimes you need to think of other people as well as yourself. Obviously im not saying that you cant buy expensive and nice clothing but you dont need as much clothing as you probably think.It can really have a huge impact on someones life by just getting a simple a simple t-shirt or jeans. I quite often donate clothing to people, but most of the time its clothing that doesnt fit me anymore or is just not my style. This may not accord to you but when i do something nice to someone else it makes me equally happy or even happier. Think about other people sometimes and not just yourself. some clothing arent as affordable as others, so sometimes going to charity shops is better becuase you can get second hand clothing instead of spending a fortune on clothing from Zara, new look, river island, gucci. ect/. Just remember too sometimes think about otherpeople and not just yourself.

• Personally, i think that we should give some of our unwanted clothes to charity or to people in need because if we only wear 20% of our clothes we might as well give some of them to people in need. It could make someones day amazing if they went to a charity shop and picked up pieces of clothing they needed and love, and just knowing that it can make someones day completely would also personally make my day entirely too. It would also make an affect on our lives by freeing up space in our homes, so you arent hoarding clothes and things you dont really need. With the cost of living crisis at the moment taking clothes to a charity shop would be extraordinary for a person that isnt as fortunate as others in our community. Also, taking things to a charity shop could help less fortunate people spend less money on clothes they actually need instead of expensive shops . Sometimes its nice too have nice, fancy, expensive clothing but sometimes you need to think of other people as well as yourself. Obviously im not saying that you cant buy expensive and nice clothing but you dont need as much clothing as you probably think.It can really have a huge impact on someones life by just getting a simple a simple t-shirt or jeans. I quite often donate clothing to people, but most of the time its clothing that doesnt fit me anymore or is just not my style. This may not accord to you but when i do something nice to someone else it makes me equally happy or even happier. Think about other people sometimes and not just yourself. some clothing arent as affordable as others, so sometimes going to charity shops is better becuase you can get second hand clothing instead of spending a fortune on clothing from Zara, new look, river island, gucci. ect/. Just remember too sometimes think about otherpeople and not just yourself

• if you have quite a lot of clothes and you want some new ones instead of buying them you can design the clothes that you already have and make then unique because if you want a cool design on your jeans or something you can use stickers pens anything you really want and then keep the ones you like and recycle the others.

• Everyone needs to own at least 40 pairs of clothing , I have a whole entire wardrobe of clothes that I don’t even wear . All of my clothes are mostly summer clothes so I will normally just stay in my pyjamas all day 😄. Personally my clothes would be made out of silt or cotton because both of those materials are really long lasting and really comfortable. I would choose dresses , shorts and maybe LOADS OF PYJAMAS !! I would choose jogging bottoms for indoors and a comfy shirt , for outside i would wear a nice fluffy coat to keep me warm with some leggings and a shirt .