How did the lesson go?

Festival2024_Expert-Topic-DiscussionBanners-2

Did you complete the lesson about the Indian election at school with your teacher? If so, we’d love to hear about any good discussions you had. You could tell us…

… about any good debates between you and your classmates. For example, about which electoral system you thought was fairest?

…how you changed your mind about something during the lesson. For example, did you end the lesson with a different opinion on elections than when you started it?

…about any information that surprised you.

If you haven’t done this lesson yet but you’d like to – let your teacher know. They can download the Topical Talk resources.

Ask your teacher to send us photos of the lesson in action for a chance to appear on our social media!

Comments (34)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• Hey Topical Talk,
    During my class discussion about the Indian election with my classmates, we had some very interesting and funny debates about which electoral system would be the most adequate for India as a high population densed country. We all split into 2 groups and the first group argued intensely for system that represents equality and justice, explaining requirement for clear representation of all voices of voters, while the second group urged for a winner-takes-all system, because of its straightforwardness and ability to produce clear winners easily. As the discussion moved on, my mindset initially was positioned towards equitable representation but I eventually reconsidered after hearing opposing arguments from the 2nd group. What shocked me overall was learning about the complex obstacles of conducting elections in India, from operational issues to ensuring tolerance in various areas and regions. In total, the lesson made me crucially listen and think more about the difficulties of democracy and the significance of finding fair and equal solutions for all citizens of India.

• Hey, Topical Talkers!
    In our recent class, we discussed the Indian election and had a debate about whether a country should have the same voting system. Some people said no, reasoning that most countries have varying populations, and the voting system would have to be different depending on the population. Others said yes, arguing that if they had the same voting system, the election would be faster and it wouldn't take that long for the winners to be announced. We also discussed whether there should be a percentage of voters in an election, and most people said yes, while some said no. Those who said no argued that if there was a percentage of people who are voting, it might be a small percentage, and they might not get everyone's opinion. Those who said yes argued that if there's a percentage, the elections will be easier and faster, which can lead to a winner of their election in a quick time. Finally, we had a debate on whether there should be only one prime Minister leading a country. Most people said no, reasoning that a single person may not be able to handle a large population like India's which is 1.4 billion people. Those who said yes, argued that the one prime minister has help from older people in the political party and can lead the population effectively. The class was so interactive we also had our election using the four methods of voting systems. Mrs. Aisha Evergreen won which was one of our classmates who acted as her. Thank you 😁

1. I agree with you polite_king, I can recall when we had that general class. A lot of us really learnt a lot from that one class.

2. Your absolutely correct we had a very interesting and interactive class it was really fun because everyone shared their points and talk about how they view it
      I whole heartedly enjoyed the class and my favorite part was when we tried the last voting system that we acted it and everyone voted for who they wanted and after that we some people were selected to count the votes "SERINA THUNDERSTRIKE" only got 9 votes, "BECK QUANTUM" got 11 Votes, "MAX HARMONY" got 36 votes as for "AYESHA EVERGREEN" she had the highest votes which was 63 because she's eco friendly and wants to paint more trees to reduce the problems of pollution. When Ayesha evergreen won everyone was so happy and everyone really cheered for her it was awesome thank you 😊

3. Dear, indeed, discussions regarding the conditions of our country are a beautiful and wonderful thing, although it is mentally exhausting for some time, because when you decide to choose a ruler for your country, here you feel as if you are squeezing your mind in thinking for fear that this choice will be wrong and instead of raising the level of the country economically and educationally and in all respects. Aspects, you find yourself going to the opposite, but in my opinion, a large country like India is supposed to be divided into two groups or states, and each group has its own ruler so that the ruler is worthy of bringing this country to the highest level of justice and is able to listen to everyone’s opinions, but All this huge number is governed by one person. I think it is not correct, and this is my opinion
      Thanks

1. I wholeheartedly agree with you because i was shocked when I was told in the class during the discussion that the India has chosen one prime minister to be the leader of about 1.4 billion citizens of India. The first thing that came to my mind was the fact that it is not possible because there is no way one prime minister will take charge of that kind of population. There will definitely be lots of disagreement in the country and that will be because one prime minister cannot oversee everything that is happening in the country and even though he should give order, people will go contrary to the order and will go punished and so people will keep on serving punishment but if they are like two or three, their law will be obeyed because people will be scared of them more than they will have been if its one person and will know that the business is a serious one.

2. I do agree learning and discussing about it is very fascinating but it is time consuming and exhausting deciding the correct candidate for a country is freighting because if you make the wrong choice it might affect your greatly just like you said instead of raising the standard of country or promoting the growth of your country economically your country might become less of what it is the country India should be divide into different sections it can be very stress full for a person to run the worlds most populated country in the world.

4. Yes, you are correct. In addition to the exciting experiences and excellent debate, the class was fantastic and we learned a lot. It was also helpful to see other people's perspectives and understand their motivations. Towards the end, the teacher and we also learned new information about the voting procedures and electoral system.

1. I too had a very goodtime on this topic. before this topic was out I didn't know a lot about election and how things run in the election office in this lesson I learnt a lot about my election and the Indian election and the need for there to be more than one leader in a populated country like that of India, China, and Nigeria.

• Hello everyone.
    My lesson with my teacher was great because there were some things that my class mates and I could not understand and then she explained it to the whole class so we could also understand. One amazing things I learnt is that India had over 900 million registered voters with over 600 million voting in 2019 poll. I also India has 543 constituencies and each constituency provide one representative that is part of the lower Parliament.
    It was also interesting to note that winners don't have to necessarily have up to 50% to win election. One you have the majority, you have won the election.
    There is no run-off like seen in most part of the world for the winner to have general acceptance. I'm don't particularly think this fair as the winner does not enjoy general acceptance from the voters. I support a system of election that eliminate candidates such the eventual winner will have general acceptance.

• Hi Topical talkers
    We had a great class with our teacher in our last discussion on indian elections. for me i have not heard anything about indian election but we they help of this topic and my teacher giving me the knowledge of indian election, i have a little knowledge of how many indian are and how the india practice their election.
    We heard a quiz with our teacher and we answered the question like how many people are there in india well i thought that the are like 12 million, as i answered the quiz, i realized that india are 1.4 billion people in india. their was a question that got me thinking and it was how many people that vote during the last election, i thought that it was everybody are meant to vote , but the answer came out and it was 80% people are meant to vote in the former election. And another question is that how many leader are meant to rule the indian and the answer came out 1 leader are meant to rule the whole indian, but why? because if their is over 1.4 billion people in india it is not suppose to be only 1 leader, their should have more than one leader to rule them or govern them, there should have more than one leader to rule them because it will be more stressful for only 1 leader to carry the burden of all the nation, but with the help of more leaders it will be easy for them to provide for the country.
    So i will like to know more about indian election and it will help me that want to travel to indian, will be able to vote in an election.
    THANKS

• Hello!
    We had an excellent conversation about the elections in India in our class.We discussed several voting methods, including the Indian first-past-the-post system, and how remarkable it is that the prime minister leads 1.4 billion people and we tried the Indian voting system and it is fast and fair.
    Thanks😉.

• well i have studied all about Indian election in my recent years and what debates we mainly held were regarding the amount votes which casted every year in India in accordance to population . We always found that from 140 crore people only 50-60 crore caste their vote which led us think that whether this this voting system is fair or not . but on the other side ethe there very benefits of this voting system , it keeps the government in check no hampering can be done to the results and the true trustworthy and hardworking government wins. I think is one of the most social country in the world with almost everyone having access to a mobile phone so a digital voting system will be most appropriate and the of our country is even working a project like this.

1. I respectfully disagree with you, because now things have changed, majority of the population cast their vote and they believe in Indian Voting System. I would have agreed that " from 140 crore people only 50-60 crore caste their vote" a few years back, but now situation has changed. Unlike other countries, where poor people do not cast their vote or they do not understand the importance of each vote, India is a country where poor people cast their vote, in fact sometimes it is observed that the percentage of people below poverty line is higher than others.
      Secondly, people attach themselves to elections, election campaigns and political parties/leaders, therefore majority people in India vote and feel that Indian voting system in not unjust.

1. I also respectfully disagree because... although the media and the newspaper or the social media are showing us that things have changed and now more and more people go out to vote, this is all just easy ways to manipulate the truth what is happening is 65%-67% of 140 crores cast their vote although this might seem to be a big number when you see the past statics you'll find that these are directly proportional and the amount of people casting vote is growing with population again leaving us at point that poor still aren't aware enough or they don't care about what government will rule the country, they everyone will bring out schemes for them and they'll go on to receive their daily wage.

• Hello,
    in our class we talked about the indian election and the diffrencies our country had . At first we found out the system that india used was similar system with greece but what impresed me was the difrence in people, about 1 billion. We also had an activity where we could vote a canditate. The canditates were 4 and each one had an entire different personality and beliefs.At the end we counted the votes and we found out it was really close.in After this we had a talk about the importance of a blank vote and its penalty.

• Well, in my class we had a good time and discussion on how different countries especially India are having real Democratic issues.
    We talked on how some of these Democratic issues come to pass because of something called UNDERAGED VOTING in our opinion. This is a problem that a lot of countries are facing because some people are going under the law and they are illegally voting before the age of 18 which is the standard age for voting in the word's view. 18 is the most common voting age in a lot of countries. But in some other countries, 16 or 17 years olds can vote in some certain elections. Places like Argentina, Ecuador, Cuba etc. are places that 16 and 17 year olds are allowed to vote in at some times, it also depends on the election.
    Another thing that we talked about was whether countries that has a massive population should have more than one representative. Most of the answers were yes and the explanations were given.
    It was a really nice and educational session to listen. It made me want to know more about elections world wide and whether most of them are corrupted or not.
    THANK YOU.

• Hello topical talkers
    I and my school mates had a debate about the different things that are happening in India. Part of the debate we had, there was an activity to sit if the number of people in India are lower than 1.4 billion, and stand if the number of people in India is higher than 1.4 billion. There was a lot of people that stood up and I also stood up. I really enjoyed the activity we had and I learned that India is larger than England. I really want to have this conversation with other topical talkers again.

• HELLO everyone
    There are some surprising information about Indian election that I have learnt during the lesson that is India has the largest number of people living on earth, they are going to have there election this year 2024.what's surprise me is that how can one person lead 1.4 billion people.one person cannot lead a lot of people in a country. the need at lest three prime minister, but on the order hand if the prime minister is able to make peace rain then one prime minister can rule up to 1.4billion people. I think that one ruler can lead a lot of people only if there is perfect understanding.

• Hey Topical Talk,
    I think the live lesson that occurred on Monday was really good and I enjoyed it very much! I took a lot of notes about what I thought was important to remember or just facts I thought was very interesting. I had a lot of fun but I do wish that when we do another live lesson, you could maybe ask the schools for their opinions and ideas to maybe it would include ambiguous thoughts and it would make the live better!

Please take this note and my ideas into consideration and maybe include this in your next lesson:)

1. Thanks for the feedback!

1. No problem Olivia!😊 I am happy to help!!

• I great time with my class today. We made the decision that the first past the poll election system was the fairest system, and I have to agree. It is an accurate representation of the opinion of the people of the nation (in this case the Republic of Eldoria). Everyone is fairly representative, and if your candidate lost, too bad. The winning candidate won fairly.

I personally enjoyed the activity of electing the candidates. My pick was the second person, I can't remember his name, but he was going to lead Eldoria into the future. Sadly, only two other people picked him.

What surprised me the most is how big India is compared to the United Kingdom. I thought it was about seven or eight, but no, it's 13!

This lesson was one of the better ones I've had in a while! I'm happy and grateful that I was able to do this lesson.

Thank you for listening.

1. this sounds like a fun lesson! This sounds like you had fun while learning important things.

1. I did, energetic_expression ! All the time we had was great fun! I was actually one out of four people my teacher asked to count the votes for three out of four of the election systems. I also had a good time with the sit down or stand up trivia activity, other than India being 13x bigger than the United Kingdom, I can't believe that it takes so fast to elect a prime minister, only about a week. Over in our USA, it takes at least 1.5 - 3.5 weeks.

Thanks for reading!

• Hello people of topical talk,
    Within our work session we talked and tried the four main different types of voting systems including the ones that the U. S., Australia, local small governments, and even other countries may/do use. As we went through the different systems, we constantly questioned how people could feel if their candidate didn’t win. In hearing this you can instantly relate this to the people who vote independent parties, and when these people feel this way they most likely will not vote the following year. This was proven when we found that in 2022 the United States voting rate was much higher than it was in 2023 with it being only 66% of people voting. If people continue to not vote than many people could be pressured and easily convinced to vote for one candidate.

• I was amazed about this lesson and was also surprised. We discussed how the voting system and I was insanely surprised! This lesson was a 9/10. I learnt much from this lesson, so thank you! It is surprising that the prime minister leads 1.4 billion! Thanks! 😊

• During class there was a discussion on Which candidate we wanted to be voted. At first my group voted on one person that we all agreed we wanted to win but when the voting came people changed their minds to another person so the votes were all over the place. I stayed with my original vote and others did too but the rest of the group voted for someone else. Even though I wanted my favorite person to win they didn't but that's just how voting is. Even if you want someone to win it might only be your vote against way more people.

• The lesson wen't great we listened to four types of people to see who sounded suspicious . After listening to all four we were split into two groups but in the end some people could not agree with their group so we did a separate vote and Beck got the most vote's to be the none suspicious one. After that we were still saying no I think it was this person and this person so we came to a stop after finishing our lesson on Topical Topic's and came to write our post.

• Hello! Today, my class was AWESOME! First, we played this game where we had to stand up or sit down for higher and lower numbers for population and other things related to political topics. Then, after that, we split into 2 teams and we had to choose a candidate for an election in a fictional country. My team was all over the place, nobody could decide on just one person. There were 4 candidates, each one with their own story and why they wanted to rule over our pretend country. One wanted to lead our country to victory and things like that. Another wanted it to be peaceful. And one, I just couldn't understand. He sounded like the villain of a superman cartoon. And the last candidate wanted to end eco-anxiety. The candidate that sounded like a cartoon character was elected. After that we discussed different political systems and if they are a good decision or not. The lesson was overall THE BEST YET!

• Today we first Wach a video about people that vote. Then the teacher took a quize on the video. We had to stand up or stay seated for the answer. Then the teacher put us into 2 groups to vote. We saw 4 different types of canes and we had to vote bewien them. My team did not agree with me and each other because some people said a man and others said a girl but the man won and he had the most votes. Also we had to vote if one person can vote for billion of people. This lesson was so fun and nice I got to learn more about the outside world.

• Good Afternoon Everyone!
    In today's Gifted lesson we watched a video about the Indian Election.
    Then we had a little activity when we would stand up if the answer to the question was higher and we stayed seated if we thought the answer to the question was lower.
    The last thing we did is that we had to discuss with our group if we should vote for those 4 candidates and many disagreed with other people's decisions. Many people chose Aisha Evergreen. Other people chose Serena Thunderstrike. I chose Beck Quantum and plenty of other people did too. But less people chose Max Harmony but I liked him too. Me personally I loved the lesson because I learned many things about what's happening in India.

• Hello Everybody!
    I would say that the lesson went really well. First, we watched a Topical Talk video about the Indian Election. Then, we did an activity called "Sit down or Stand up". The rules of the game is that somebody gives you a sentence about a topic and it has to include a number. Next, you determine whether that number should be higher or lower. You stand up for high, and stand up low. After that, we listened to 4 pretend people who are running for candidate in the pretend country Eldoria. The 5th thing we did is we were split into 2 groups and we decided which person we would want for a candidate. The options were Aisha Evergreen, Beck Quantrum, Max Harmony, and Serena Thunderstrike. When my group was discussing it, we voted for Aisha Evergreen but when we shared half of the group said Beck Quantrum. Lastly, we were asked to talk with our group about if we agreed that 1 person could represent a billion people. I said yes and so did the rest of my group. In conclusion, I think this lesson went pretty well like I said earlier.
    Peace out people!

• The lesson went very and I really liked the discussion and the topic. The first thing that we started off with was watching a video on India and its government system. We were also split into groups and had a pop quiz over questions of the population of India. The teacher split us into two groups and told us to choose a person who would be a good prime minister for India.Lastly we got split into four groups and shared if we thought that there should be only one prime minister and why.My group decided that there should only be one prime minister because more than one would be too many and some of them would just run for president for the money and not actually because they care about the citizens . Overall I think that the lesson went great and I really enjoyed the topic.

• In my class we had discussed if we voted for some candidates and whoever got the most votes was candidate that was chosen.We also did a quiz and we had to stand up if we thought it was higher or stay seated if we thought it was lower.

• Hi topical talkers,
    My class lessons was actually one of its kind,
    But in all , I grabbed some few points, which are...
    The people's choice are the best, and any country that's wants to select a leader should go for the people's choice if not the country is going no far without the people's choice in the equation.
    After all democracy is best defined as government for the people of the people and by the people.

• Good day topical talkers,
    In my class lessons I also learnt that in India there are over 1.4 billion people and they still use of being rude by a person as a leader or the presidents which is quite stressful so I would suggest that India with its population should at least be rude by two or more leaders because of the high population and secondly the government or leader can't know all the wishes of the people that he or she is ruling, therefore with the help of other people selected government officials or assistance of other leaders the country can move on with the people's choice in corporation.

• In our class we engage in the different types of voting system in order to find out how elections feels. Many students voted difference people according to their own opinion and perspective about a particular individual. We particited in a different types of voting system about particular individual characters which really amazed us, it went to an extent that we started a debate on the person who we loved and why we loved. It was an interesting debate that we all enjoyed Indeed.

• I learned something new. I always had the misconception that a party's slogan is what helps them win, but I realise this was wrong. Slogans are actually powerful tools in campaigns. But I have come to the realisation that a party’s success is not determined by just it's slogan. Slogans are not the main deal. They are just like ornaments decorating a political Christmas tree. They catch our attention, evoke emotions, stick in our minds and tell us what the candidate is going to do when he or she is in power. They might be attractive, but do they do not mean absolute victory. Slogans are pretty attractive but citizens do not want an attractive party but one who's stance on critical issues is grounded. A catchy slogan won’t fix crumbling infrastructure or address income inequality. Voters are critical thinkers. They go through a party’s previous achievements and its candidate's integrity. A slogan cannot past failures or create future success.
    Proof though is a factor that is important for winning an election. Voters seek clarity on a party’s stance regarding crucial issues like healthcare, education, and the economy. A well-thought-out policy framework resonates more than a slogan. They need to have proof that the candidate can do what their slogan says. I have really had a change of mind.

1. This is a well-thought out comment, articulate_moment. Well done. You've earned two stars!

• If I speak the real truth, I must say that our class on Indian election was very interesting and informative. I got to know about the difference between direct election and indirect election. I think that citizens can choose their leader through direct elections. Therefore, in most countries of the world, direct elections are supposed to be held. But during the lesson I saw that most countries around the world hold indirect elections. This intrigued me. I want to know why indirect election is given more importance than direct election? What is your opinion about it? I hope that I have been able to make my views and questions clear to you.
    THANKS.

• Hello, there.
    I have already finished a wonderful and interesting discussion about India's elections with my classmates with the help of the teacher. This discussion has changed my perspective on India's electoral system and methodology. There was an extraordinary debate in the classroom about "what kind of electoral system should be in a democratic country". Through this discussion I also learned about the steps taken for fair, free, secure and participatory elections.What I found most interesting in this discussion was that in 2024 more than eighty countries will participate in the elections. That means this year is going to be a very participatory election. Also my most surprising point in this discussion was "First Past the Post Voting". It is an election system in India. In this system only one party wins the election. In this election system, not more than half of the votes are required. "Whether the number of leaders depends on population" was another debate. I think every country should have one leader. The leader will run the country through his proper leadership. One must have the skills, qualities and abilities to properly govern the country. So I think the number of leaders will not depend on population.
    Thanks.

• Hi topical talkers,
    I haven't done this lesson in my class but the way you guys have described your comments is making me understand
    the topic. I am so exited to learn this ; I am so glad to be here thank you. I truly agree with all of you, the people that has said it is funny yet interesting trustworthy_music. I wish I learnt this before because it sounds like an amazing topic to learn.Thanks for reading this comment.
    Yours faithfully,
    caring_dove

1. If you'd like to do this lesson in class, try asking your teacher to download the resources.

1. Hi there Katie,
        I have done this lesson and it was really fun, thanks for wondering. It was a very good lesson and I wish to do more like this in future. Sadly, this was the last lesson in topical talk, well done to everyone who has completed the previous topics. It was interesting to learn about how prime ministers get elected in other countries. Me and my classmates have had a debate on who should be the prime minister of Ecuador. I would like to say happily this is a great fun way to learn about new things we haven't learnt about before.
        Yours sincerely,
        caring_dove!

1. Hello caring_dove,
          I am in the same class and I truly agree with you.It was interesting and so fun! I love how we learnt about all other countries; debate on how to get new prime ministers in Ecuador. Same thing here I would love to learn more about things related to this.
          Yours faithfully,
          loving_seed!

• Hello, topical talkers I recently had second thoughts about taking over a country. Although I listed many drawbacks, there are also some benefits because I was a citizen before, so I would be aware of all the issues and know how to address them. I would also make the nation developed because if I were president, there wouldn't be any homelessness and I would work to ensure that everyone had a job.
    Thanks

1. It's great to see that you were able to change your mind.

1. Thank you! I believe that having a second discussion can improve your mind.

• Greetings, Engaged Conversationalists! In our recent session, we discussed about the Indian electoral process, taking part in a informative debate regarding the diversity of voting systems. Some contended against uniformity, citing the diverse population sizes of nations necessitating tailored approaches. Conversely, proponents advocated for standardized systems, touting efficiency and expediency in result declaration. The discourse extended to the necessity of a minimum voter turnout percentage, with assent leaning towards its implementation for streamlined outcomes, albeit met with dissent over potential marginalization. Furthermore, deliberations on a singular prime ministerial leadership yielded divided opinions, with skeptics highlighting the challenges of governance over vast populations, while supporters underscored the collaborative nature of leadership within political frameworks. Our class further enriched its understanding through a simulated election employing various voting methodologies, culminating in the victory of our teacher, embodying one of our classmates. Gratitude for the lively exchange!

• Hi, I discussed this topic with my teacher and the discussion changed my entire thought process on elections. You see, earlier I used to think that the people cast their votes and according to the majority, the prime minister was decided. But I was astounded when my teacher told me that the people's votes decide the ministers who elect the prime minister. At first, it seemed quite unusual or odd but as I searched for the same on internet, I found out how practical and affable this system was and how I literally knew nothing about the election system. Now, I have started working on my general knowledge in this field by contributing half an hour of my everyday routine on listening to different types of news channels and reading news papers. I've started to develop an interest in this and I'm noticing the increase of knowledge about the happenings in my surroundings in me.

• I’m my opinion I think that it was good to see other peoples opinions and decisions as well as your own and I think it was helpful since we learned so much and we got to debate on what was the best voting system, it was a very great experience!

• I think the lesson went amazingly as our class was in a very heated debate also we tried the voting systems and saw which one was the fairest.In the end we decided and we voted who should be our Indian president and with the different voting techniques got a different president and I think we all had a wonderful and educational lesson