Bug burgers and critter curries... delicious?

Topic2-ThinkingQuestion-Bugs-Banner@2x

Would you eat bugs?

By 2050, there could be 10 billion humans to feed – and experts have warned the global food crisis will get worse unless we come up with solutions.

One solution can be found by snacking on minibeasts, bugs, critters and creepy-crawlies.

Whatever you call them – insects are already being eaten by around 2 billion people around the world. They are healthy, easier to farm than bigger animals… and many people think they’re delicious!

Comments (175)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• It's good to be open to new ideas in life. I am just finding out that bugs are edible and I don't think it's bad to start consuming them as long as they are prepared hygienically and do not pose a threat to the health of humans, I think it is ok to start eating them. Its is indeed time for the world to change it's consumption habits towards a better and more sustainable future.

1. Thanks for joining the discussion, amazing_computer! Would you eat bugs yourself? Why or why not?

1. I would eat bugs if they are hygienically prepared and do not pose a threat to my health as I earlier stated. I would eat them because
        1. They are nutritious. They serve as a good source of protein.
        2. It would help to ensure that many more people in the world have more food to eat.

2. I agree because new ideas beacus new ideas equwols new life!!! so we will have food to eat

3. Thank you for this comment.....
      Do you think that insects are healthy, and if they are not healthy, how can they be cooked in a healthy way??

• Considering the fact that bugs will cure global food crisis I won't mind eating it. Bugs are usually eaten because they provide nutrition,protein,fat and mineral content. And how do I intend on going about this?
    Boiling the bug is a considerable method of eating the bug, also frying, roasting and heating over an open flame. Bugs are also eaten because of their taste so asides global food crisis I think eating bugs is delicious.

1. Thanks for sharing, outstanding_reindeer. Have you tried bugs? If so, how often do you eat them? Bugs and insects play an important part of diets for people around the world so it would be great to hear more.

1. I've actually tried bugs before but I don't eat them often I only ate bugs a couple of times when I was much younger. But bugs are actually nutritional and delicious. I recommend you try it someday

1. That's a good point @outstanding_reindeer! Can you give evidence of why insects and bugs are nutritious?

1. An example to prove that insects are nutritious is a grasshopper. Grasshoppers are very nutritious. They are about 40 percent protein, 43 percent fat and 13 percent dietary fiber. So insects are nutritious and can contribute to the growth and development of an individual or individuals.

2. I agree because first of all, they are nutritious meaning they will help in solving the problem of malnutrtion which could be a problem to mankind and then they are helping in solving the global food crisis and this is hitting two birds with one stone so why not opt for them ..

3. You make a really good point! Many people say insects taste disgusting but have never tried them. I ate some in Thailand and they actually taste good. And, as you mentioned, they're very healthy and nutrient-dense.

• I might consider eating bugs depending on how it is prepared I don't think that anybody would just start eating bugs just like that but according to the video bugs gives a lot of nutrient than pork or beef can ever give. Farming bugs is more easier than farming big animals, the require less land and even water, like in the video cricket powder was or is made from crickets and it is very nutritive when added to your breakfast and if it is healthy I don't mind trying out new things.

1. That's a great attitude to have, blithesome_engineer! Well done for paying so much attention to the video too - you summarised the information well. Are there any ways that you definitely would not eat bugs?

• Do insects eat? Answer: I don't know, but I will probably eat
    Because eating insects has its advantages, although some may be surprised by it. Many people prefer eating insects because of its many and important benefits for the human body, such as its richness in healthy protein, and the lack of fat in it, which makes it the most appropriate solutions for those who suffer from obesity or are trying Maintaining their weight, in addition to vitamin B12, which is necessary for the skin and hair, and it reduces the incidence of diseases compared to traded meat, and finally increases the human intelligence.

1. I totally agree with you it brings protein to our body even if I don't eat it

• According to a report by the Food and Agriculture Organization, insects can help end world hunger and reduce the world's growing population on intensive agriculture.
    Although the food is alien to Western culinary culture, there are Malay people in the world who consume insects.
    In the belief that one day it will become the daily bread of housing.
    And I don't hope so.

• I think my answer would be no; Because it is disgusting and in addition to that, no person from my country or community eats insects, this thing does not encourage me to eat insects, so my community does not eat insects.
    If there is someone from my country or my community who eats insects and they advise me to taste insects and they insist on that, I will have the desire to experience and taste.

1. Hi @bold_apple, that's got me thinking! Can you give some reasons why people would not eat insects in your country?

1. Because it is disgusting and harmful and prone to spreading diseases and other than that, our religion prevents us from eating it

2. Edible insects are still far from being an essential part of the diet because what we consider good to eat is a matter of cultural learning. We learn from a young age what food is acceptable, delicious and nutritious, and these foods become foreign to us and also in our childhood we know that insects are pests and transmitters of diseases.

• Do insects eat?
    No, for me, the idea of ​​eating insects is disgusting and therefore it does not fit with our religion and the culture of our societies, but this matter varies from person to person, but I learned from a young age that insects are harmful, that is, they cannot be eaten, but they are not only created for harm, It also has its pluses.
    Thus we conclude that the idea of ​​eating insects is not a solution to the food crisis, as these insects were created to carry out the tasks explained to us by the scholars, and that healthy food is eating plants, vegetables and meat that it is permissible to eat.

1. Hi @understanding_strawberry can you give evidence as to why eating insects are harmful?

1. I did not mean to say that all insects are harmful, but some are harmful, and eating them without cooking is harmful. Many studies and awareness-raising have warned of the dangers present in flies such as salmonella bacteria, as well as some insects that cause diseases and viruses such as mad cow disease and H1N1 virus, and this has been explained to us through educational curricula in schools as well.

1. Great research! But are these diseases spread because people have been eating those insects or because those insects spread diseases when they are alive? Which is more important to know for this discussion?

2. Can you elaborate more on your point that insects are created for harm? Is this true for all insects?

1. I did not say that insects were created for the sake of harm, but rather I meant that there are some harmful insects, and therefore they also have their advantages, meaning that they are a double-edged sword. Insects are divided into two types:
        A type that does not cause harm to humans, such as bees and butterflies, and a type that causes harm to it, such as poisonous insects, stinging insects and infection-carrying insects.

3. I do not think that eating insects is harmful, although I have not tried to eat them, but after I read about it and that eating insects does not negatively affect health, but it can be beneficial to the human body
      Since we eat insects without knowing it where
      There are many foods that we eat on a daily basis that contain percentages of insects such as broccoli, peanut butter and wheat.

1. This is a really interesting point agreeable_dusk! Especially when you point out that we eat insects on some of our foods anyway.

• From my point of view, I think that it's not that bad to eat insects but in some conditions if that insect won't harm me, infect me with a virus and it must be one hundred percent safe, because I won't harm myself and there's normal food to eat, but of course if I was facing death because of hunger like people in Africa, I will eat it directly. Although, insects are edible, they aren't going to be my favorite eating decision.

1. Hi @amazing_effort could you give some evidence or examples to support your opinion that insects cause harm?

1. Yes, sure I would. At first I have to change my way of thinking because if I just ate it. I will be disgusted and I will directly vomit. It's not that easy to eat an insect as you think.

• Insects are disgusting food that can't be eaten. There are countries that eat all kinds of insects. I don't know how they enjoy eating them. But this is their culture.

• Frankly, I do not eat insects because our religion Islam forbids it because it is harmful to human health. No one can convince me to change my mind because faith is in my heart. The highlight in the video is that a lot of people eat insects in order to save their food, but I honestly and honestly do not support that....

• We don't want to get rid of a problem to start a new one. We can't eat any kind of insects. They will become diseases. Let's ask what insects eat. They eat heirs. And let's not delve into this. It is a disgusting thing. Diseases It is not enough to fry or heat insects well We cannot get rid of germs with a score of 100/100 They still contain some diseases

Rather, we rely on canned food for times that last for many years to rely on it and meet people's needs, and thus we do not need insects.

1. Could you elaborate more on this? Do you also think we should not eat animals as they may contain diseases?

• Personally I am aware that people eat bugs, but personally I don't think I can eat bugs because there isn't much information about them out there for me. They are eaten I know but I don't just feel okay eating insects. Yes actually I could be convinced to eat insects depends on the taste actually and the disadvantage and advantages of them actually. Yes what stood out to me was the fact that they have a high protein rate, yes I was previously aware of that but insects are part of what save the world, I mean we already have so much endangered species, I don't think adding insects is the way to go.

1. These are great points @accurate_wombat. More research on the consumption of insects would be fantastic!

2. But when the world became extinct of all species in our future we will he eating insects to get more protein and to survive our life .

3. I agree because if we continue eating insects we might end up endangering them and we don't want insects extinct. Insects have a lot of importance to the world. They keep pest insects in check, pollinate crops we rely on as food, and act as sanitation experts, cleaning up waste so that the world doesn't become overrun with dung.so imagine we eat all the insects in the world how will the world turn out to be? and then how possible is it for us to eat all the bugs in the world?

• I cannot really voice an opinion on the taste of insects because i have no experience on eating such a specie, all I can say is that by whatever means necessary, humans need to survive and if surviving means coming to terms with the circumstances we find ourselves in, it becomes a state in which there are but few options to choose from. So whether or not insects are part of the menu in years to come, consuming them will help feed a particular percentage of the population and so taking care of hunger, an even greater issue to worry about other than the taste of a fried grasshopper.

• It may seem weird and disgusting at first, but if that is what the world is going to we just have to get used to crispy crickets in stews and grilled bugs on toast. I want to believe the video that we have something to gain by switching diets in the next 27 years, but I think it will take a while before I can start getting used to eating edible worms. Do veal and cockroaches taste the same. Mmmm... I don't think so.

1. Do you think we can learn to like new foods as we all have to taste food for the first time and our tastes can change?

• The foods that can be manufactured are olives and olive oil and the foods that are imported are cooking oil. It imports when it needs food, and this does not mean that it does not produce. Product development to compete with imported products.

• I cannot eat it because from my point of view it is disgusting, and it was created to live, not to be eaten, and it also causes diseases. Nothing can change my view forever. Yes, the thing that emerged to me from the video when they eat insects while they are alive, and also that they are kept in bags and that they have a large audience.

• Of course, we do not eat insects because they are harmful to health and disgusting and are prone to the spread of viruses and diseases. And eating insects is religiously prohibited from eating them

1. Hi forgiving_gazelle -- it seems you feel strongly about this! Can you give some evidence or examples to support your opinion? Insects might not be as dirty or harmful as you think (but of course you may be right about prohibitions in some religions).

• We do not eat insects in our country because we believe that insects cause many diseases and also the external appearance of insects is disgusting, so we do not eat them.

• _ When you are in a desert devoid of everything, there is nothing that exists out of nothing, and there is no one there but you, some insects and water, and there is nothing that you can eat, then you will be forced to eat these insects, even if you have not eaten them before, because our nature we humans prefer ourselves On others, it is not reasonable to die because you do not want to eat an insect.
    But this is different in reality, as there are many, many plants and animals that are eaten, I do not have to eat insects as long as you can eat something better, but if nothing of this, then we must do something, for example, instead of eating insects with Its disgusting form. We transform it into another form of food. Convert it into a form of crackers, but without bones or thorns. This is how many people will accept it, but I say this in the absence of all of the plants or other animals, but at present this is impossible.

_ The thing that surprised me the most in the video is that the powder is made from cockroaches. I did not know that, but that is a useful thing. As I said earlier, whoever cannot eat insects, the insects can be converted into something else that can be eaten. Such an idea, and since insects are very useful, it must be extracted because it is useful from them. And manufactured in the form of other things such as powder.

1. This is a really well thought out comment free_snail, I really like how you see both sides of the argument. I really like your point about converting insects into more palatable forms of food like crackers.

1. And not only that, we can also make medicines from them, as they contain many benefits that enable us to make medicines, and we can also use these insects to eliminate plant and animal pathogens, as there are some insects that eat others and some of them absorb corrupt blood from them. The body, and thus we can benefit from it in another way, and also can be introduced into the food industrial role, as there are some insects that can secrete edible substances that we can introduce into food and give a delicious flavor .

2. I agree because... I agree with you, surely I will not die starving seeing something eating in front of us, and this thing is not harmful, it contains protein, so I eat without hesitation, it also made me think about eating insects in my normal life, but not in their natural form and appearance, but If it is shaped into a powder or biscuit form

• I personally would despise consuming numerous packs of bugs. I mainly believe this because many species of bugs (especially creepy crawlies) can inject venom into one. Furthermore, one can never say whether a meal is prepared hygienically and not poses a threat to the health of humans when consisting of bugs withinn them. To continue, like wht we are doing to tigers, and other aimals, I am also not willing to risk more lives of the insects that dwell on our planet. If I were to think form a positive side, something which could change my mind, would be tasting a sample of our remowned delicacies packed with insect (preferably edible cricket) powder. What stood out to me immensely was the fact that there are 130 countries that actually consume insects for food.

Even though there are particles of insect in the meals and snacks we devour to this day, I am still not willing to take the risk of our lives (together has humanity).

1. A well-reasoned comment illuminated_newspaper

• I think that eating worms and insects is beneficial for health, but it is a culture that is specific to certain societies and it is possible to rely on eating insects and worms to eliminate the food crisis in the world, but this needs more time to change the culture of some peoples about eating insects and worms.

1. How could we make insects more appealing to cultures that wouldn't normally eat them?

• No, because insects are not something that looks delicious. This is my point of view, but there are many people who like to eat them, such as China, Korea and Indonesia. My opinion may change in the event of an increase in starvation and also about the types of insects that provide us with protein and vitamin. But for a moment, I remember that insects can become extinct when eaten. To be honest, I couldn't finish the video because I was disgusted. But I saw something in a box like pickles, but I don't know if it was insects

1. What about if insects were used as an ingredient in food and you couldn't even tell they were in it? Would you still be disgusted?

1. If I did not see that it was placed and added a good taste, I would certainly accept, because usually when I like something, I do not ask about its ingredients, but if I know that there is an insect in it, I may not accept.

• Some parts of the world see insects and worms as delicacies but in my personal opinion I do not think I would be able to eat bugs except they have really good nutritional value and at the same time would not give me any health complications. What really stood out for me is the creative idea of the museum to organize events that allow individuals to take sample of insects and see how good they can be, if I was opportune to be there I would definitely like to try out termites because i heard that they are really crunchy and sweet.

• I think that eating bugs has both advantages and disadvantages, the main advantage is that there's lots of them and they're easy to farm making them a reliable food source but as many people are vegetarian or vegan it means it would not feed everyone, another advantage is that they're high in protein this means that although in my opinion being slightly disgusting, they are good for us. I am aware that bugs are good for us but scuttling around in the dirt, flies contain viruses are they hygienic? Even though bugs are already eaten today personally I don't think they're the next step in human consumption as eventually they might run out and adding more species to the endangered list isn't the way to go. Another reason I don't think eating bugs is the next step is because taking them out of the wild and putting them on our plates may destroy the food chain and without eating things like cows and sheep in a couple of decades there may be too many to handle. In conclusion, I think that although eating bugs have many advantages the downsides out way them.

1. Hi shy_duck, well done for giving pros and cons for turning to insects for protein. Most cows and sheep are bred for farming, so it is unlikely that there would be 'too many to handle' in the future if farming moved in a different direction. What steps could insect farmers make in the future to be sustainable?

• I would not eat bugs if I had the choice. Since you can enjoy a delectable, vegetable-packed soup, why try bugs? The thought makes me cringe as bugs are vital to our ecosystem. Our ecosystem is like dominoes, if one falls, all of the others collapse. In reality, the same thing happens therefore I or even the whole world should stick to eating something else. Otherwise, more animals might perish faster than we think.

1. Hi brilliant_vegetable,
      I have comprehended your point and do understand what you attempting to convey, whereas, if the ingredients that one uses to create your delectable and devine dishes suddenly decline in number and all of our current foods cannot be made, then would you eat bugs if this calamity would have occurred.

Furthermore, I sincerelly understand how you believe that bugs could become extinct and as they play a vital role in our ecosystem and keeping the world together they should not perish, would you want to die with a click of a finger or eat the bugs. Many countries (approximately estimated to be 130 in number) do eat the gazillions of insects in our world, yet the insects number is not declining.

Moreover, you need to also remember that bugs lay many eggs - take the spider for example, as long as there is still 1 spider in the world, their number will not become a dmindling population but be vast and gargantuan.

Extra info:
      - Spiders can lay up to 4,000 eggs.

Even though spiders are venemous and are not primarilly consumed, at one point in time, they might just be.

Don't you agree?

2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, brilliant_vegetable. What if the bugs were specifically farmed to be eaten, just like people already farm animals like cows and chickens. This would mean people weren't taking bugs from the wild. Does this change your mind about anything?

• First, I don't prefer this idea as a s0lution to food crisis because consuming a great number of insects will affect the balance of nature . Insects are important to human as we get silk from the silkworm. Also they help in pollinating crops as beetles are responsible for pollinating 88% of world's plants .Moreover, without insects, there will be disruption in the food chain because many species depend on them for food . If the insects were destroyed, many animals will be endangered and soon extinct . We can come up with other solutions .We can provide people in urban and rural with ways for planting on roofs of their homes for example and this will help to secure food . We can use technology in finding techniques to enable farmers to do smart growing as we are facing climate change and we have to deal with the extreme weather conditions nowadays.

1. What about if there were sustainable ways to farm insects rather than take them from the environment? It is widely believed that insect farming could be much more sustainable that other protein sources.

2. It's interesting that you mention silkworms. To make silk, the silkworms must be killed - and often they are eaten! If you go to China or Korea, you can buy silkworms for food.

• Would you eat bugs? If yes, how? And if no, why not?

No, of course not, because I never like it and am afraid of it, so I can never eat it, and also in our country they do not eat insects, I mean, according to the food of our people as well.

Could anything convince you to change your mind?

Nothing can change my opinion because if I am sure of my opinion no one can change my opinion.

Did anything from the video stand out to you? What?

Yes, it occurred to me that they use insects for things other than eating, and this really amazed me.

1. You seem very fixed in your opinion here? Why do you think that is?

1. I think because I am the only one who can control my opinion and no one can control my opinion because no one knows what makes me happy and what makes me sad except myself and also no one knows my interest as much as I do.

1. Do you think learning more about things can lead us to change our opinions? For example, an expert on a topic can make me change my mind if they have strong reasons and facts.

• Do you eat insects? If the answer is yes, then how? yes I will eat; Because as I mentioned we will have to eat them in the coming years, I just found out that insects are edible and I don't think it's a bad idea to start consuming them as long as they are prepared in a healthy way and don't pose a threat to human health, I think it's a good idea to start eating them. It is already time for the world to change its consumption habits towards a better and more sustainable future. If we want insect-eating to become widespread in Western and Arab countries, we will need to move beyond it being a fad, and replace it with our meat products. They must also be reasonably priced to ensure that everyone has access to sustainable and nutritious food. Eating insects provides many of the nutrients needed to maintain a vegan diet such as iron, protein and vitamins. From another point of view I think I cannot eat insects because there is not much information about them for me. I know western countries eat bugs but I don't feel good about just eating bugs. Yes, in fact I can be convinced that eating insects depends on the actual taste and on its disadvantages and advantages in reality. Yes, eating insects provides a lot of nutrients needed to maintain a vegetarian diet such as iron, protein and vitamin B 12.

• The topic is interesting and you need to think about it in all respects, first of all, human nature will not be easy to accept, but if it becomes a dominant idea, people will get used to it. To supplement their diet, these creatures are low in fat and full of vitamins and iron, so Angelina Jolie eats them wow!! I believe that if it is cooked in a way that it does not appear in its realistic form, it will be accepted by people and will be a solution to a problem.

• We don't want to get rid of a problem to start a new one. We cannot eat any kind of insects. There are foods and foods other than eating insects in the future. In Palestine, we have our own foods that the rich and the poor can eat, including falafel: a popular Palestinian dish with a delicious flavor that has its own special character among the residents of the Gaza Strip who buy them regardless of their different classes. They are popular with the rich and the poor. Falafel is one of the old traditional meals for the people of Gaza, and it is very popular because it has a delicious taste and low cost. Maftoul is one of the popular Levantine dishes. It consists of small maftoul granules or balls that are prepared from bulgur, white and brown flour, which are prepared manually at home, or bought ready-made. And musakhan is a Palestinian dish of grilled chickenCooked with onions, sumac, peppers, saffron and pine nuts, served on taboon bread. These ingredients came from the agricultural environment in Palestine.

• Do you eat insects? Yes, eating insects provides a lot of nutrients needed to maintain a vegetarian diet, such as iron, protein and vitamin B12, but honestly, I do not eat insects because our Islamic religion forbids them because they are harmful to human health. No one can convince me to change my mind because faith is in my heart. A global shift that leads to eating less meat and more fruits and vegetables will be key to tackling emissions from agriculture. And for those who have switched to eating less meat for environmental reasons, they can replace that with insects for essential nutrients. If we want insect eating to become widespread in Western countries, we will need to move beyond it being a fad, and replace it with our meat products.They must also be reasonably priced to ensure that everyone has access to sustainable and nutritious food.

• First, I don't eat insects, they are disgusting and disgusting
    But I know that it is edible, and some scholars have seen that it is considered the wealth of food, and it is possible to eliminate the food crisis by eating it.
    And I will tell you why I do not eat them... since we were young and our parents told us not to eat insects because they transmit diseases
    But in some cities where there is a shortage of meat, they replace meat with insects to get the essential nutrients
    Second, I don't think I'll change my mind about it, it's disgusting
    But I think that if there is a food crisis in our country, I think that they will eat insects

• I can never eat any kind of insects even if they are delicious because when I see them I don't dare eat them and I don't think anything will change my mind because I know myself well but eating insects in reducing starvation would be good to reduce its effects but it would lead to the extinction of many of these Insects, so I think it is better to find another way to provide food for those suffering from starvation

• I can't eat it because I think it raises diseases and is not useful
    But I know that it is useful and that some insects are considered the lunch revolution
    Insects are an essential part of the diet in many parts of the world

• Yes because if it would keep me alive I would always try and do my thing to keep the Earth happy and keep myself happy.

• At the outset, I would like to tell you a beautiful story in a reality that is not beautiful, but rather tragic, talking about the spread of eating insects in ancient China. The cultivation of rice spread and it was like bread for us, but there was a kind of bird that ate crops and reduced them. When the matter came to the ruler, he ordered to kill them all. But they forgot that it was also eating locusts, which launched attacks on their crops, so nothing was left of them, so the famine came upon the people of China, and they found nothing in front of them to eat except the locusts, and they remained in this state until the end of the famine, but they started eating insects for their love for them and not for the tires now.

No, I do not eat insects because their shape and smell and that they are mostly present and feed on garbage does not encourage me to eat them, and my fear that they are poisonous or harmful, and that some of them actually cause us harm, such as stinging and poisonous insects that spoil crops, makes them look like an enemy to me Therefore, I do not prefer to eat it as long as it is not raining and I am still surrounded by the natural food that I am accustomed to eat it.

Perhaps if I had to eat it in order not to die of starvation, for example, if the area I am in was dehydrated or lost in a desert or woke up and found myself the weakest in the chain and I am prey to many creatures, but if some of its descriptions were changed I would not have the objection because The reasons that make me disgust with eating it will disappear, for example, its shape, color and smell have been changed, it has been raised in a clean environment and its consumption has spread, or if it is placed in food in proportions that do not affect its taste and this is what we actually do, perhaps intentionally or unintentionally, for example chocolate

I was already aware that insects are an inevitable future. Hunger is spreading and the population is increasing, and it contains many benefits. It contains a protein equivalent to bovine protein, and it is easier to raise and requires less food. A cow needs 25 kilos of herbs per kilo of meat, but insects may They feed on rubbish. What intrigued me was that more than 1/5 of the planet feed on these insects without disgust, and that some of them prefer them and like to eat them more than ordinary plants and meat.

1. Lots of insects don't eat rubbish. Can you research and find what insects eat?

• I personally have not eaten insects all my life. Perhaps the most important reason is that they are not from our Arab culture in cooking, and that our ancestors before us did not do this. I think that if the habit of eating insects was inherited, it would not be strange at the present time. We cannot deny that many studies have proven Insects are a rich source of high-quality protein, which is easier to digest, produce less warming gases and ammonia than livestock, and amino acids, are low in fat, and contain fiber. So insects can be a qualitative leap in challenging and resisting hunger in the world and reducing dependence on agriculture. What if the food crisis forced us to eat insects? To what extent can individuals contribute to facing hunger by eating insects??

• As for me I don't eat insects because I actually live in a society that doesn't eat insects and when I eat insects and we have plants, animals and food resources, insects are the last thing I can eat and nothing can convince me to change my mind becauseI will not accept the form of insects to eat them, but if the matter is imposed, I can be persuaded to convert their forms into acceptable formsThey say that it is useful, but we do not know the disadvantages of eating it and the harmful aspects of it, so I do not sacrifice myself to eat insects and it has an alternative to eatingWhat caught my eye in the video is that there are really many people in the world who eat insects other than the countries that we know they eat, so this is very strange.

• Do you eat insects? No, because they look disgusting and unpleasant. When I hear the word insects, I feel disgusted and nauseous. I think there is another reason why I do not eat insects is that we have chicken and beef meat and also legumes.. so why do we talk about eating insects?!

1. Can you read the other comment to see why we're talking about insects? Why might insects be a better choice than beef?

1. I think we are talking about insects to educate people and tell them about the importance of insects and their many benefits and talk about eating insects. I think that insects are better than beef, because they contain protein, and because they match meat and fish in protein content, and there may be another reason why insects are a better choice than beef, which is that beef requires a lot of pasture to produce protein, and it will also cost more from money. As for insects, they do not need all these pastures.

• Can anything convince you to change your point of view? Yes, if I am in the desert and there is nothing to eat but insects, I will certainly not starve to death, I will eat them. Also, there is something almost impossible or impossible, which is the absence of all kinds of plants and animals in my country

• Did anything stand out to you from the video? What? Yes, some people feel nauseous just talking about eating insects because of their shape, but in the video he mentioned something very beautiful which is turning insects into powder, and this thing can make people talk about eating insects and think about them, and I also looked into this and found that there is a company A Finnish company that included grasshoppers in its bread composition in 2017, which made bread containing about 70 ground locusts to support the bread with protein, then a Norwegian company in 2019 produced bread containing wormy algae, and in the same year a British company produced a limited production of (crispy grasshopper loaf) , which contains about 336 ground grasshoppers, and in 2020, a Japanese company introduced a baguette containing grasshopper powder, and they also made a cake from it.

The burger is the most famous thing that is made from insects, where many mixtures can be formed from it, and it is an alternative to the famous burger according to the proponents of eating insects, and one of the first products in this is a burger slice produced by a German institution that contains insects with some vegetables in its composition, as well as grasshopper coffee, processed foods and others I was amazed and amazed

• Considering there's a situation where the world ran out of food to feed the people,it becomes essential to eat bugs as our diet even if we refuse to do so. Since human, from the start of his evolution, sustains on the eating the living things around him,it is common for us to live on the source which is available. I widely appreciate the fact we are already planning for the future needs and found a source that is easy to cultivate and farm. But there are a few things to be noted :
    *A right bug should be chosen which has no harmful enzymes in it( because most of the bugs creates and use poison for self defence and hunting)
    *Since there is no food left, the bugs with high nutrient content that can fulfill the nutritional needs of humans must be discovered and cultivated.
    *It would be hard for everyone to eat something that they are terrified to even be near to. Therefore processing it to an ordinary crackers or biscuits would help them to atleast feel it as a food.

• Even though it's a great idea to overcome food crisis, practically we would not be able to execute it. Because it will lead to extinction of insects. It's like killing a soul to make another soul live. Despite of normal fact that eating insects doesn't cause health issue, it's biologically proven that there are some kinds of bacteria present in insects that makes people sick. I sincerely agree that this idea could clear food crisis globly but it would also cause enormous damages to living kind. I thought to share some of my ideas about the reducing of food crisis.
    Ideas to overcome food crisis:
    1. Reducing food wastes- we need to teach every child about the value of good to overcome food crisis
    2. Increasing trade policies- it's necessary to maintain friendly relationship with other countries. Valuable trading is one of the best idea to overcome food crisis globly.
    3. Effective ruling- we came across that conflicts,wars,violence also leads to food crisis. So, being friendly and maintaining peace with others can be a effective idea.
    4. Maintaining population growth- the continuous rise in population rate leads to lack of food.
    5. Avoiding the usage of non-ecofriendly things- that damages the soil as well as leads to irregular climatic changes.
    These are the ideas I thought to share with you guys. I hope it's valuable

1. There are few incorrect bits of information here. As insects would be farmed, they would not become extinct. Not all insect would make you sick to eat, in fact, many insects are eaten all around the world already.

• Even though consuming bugs are disgusting and it's not our culture , to reduce the problems due to food crisis on world I would rather begin consuming them. As consumption of bugs can offset climate change in many ways.

1. I agree because... if you eat bug’s you could get sick but at least we won’t starve

1. Actually many people already regularly eat bugs as part of their diet. Many bugs are safe to eat and actually very good for you - and good for the planet too! Does this change your mind about anything?

• 1. No, I have not eaten it in my life because it is disgusting and disgusting, and because I feel goosebumps when I see it, and also because my religion, Islam, forbids eating it and allows eating some meat such as pigeons, chickens, ducks and other livestock, so I am careful as much as possible to avoid taboos and sins so as not to diminish my faith.
    2. No, not at all, because I am certain of my decision and I am firm on the rules of my religion and related to them as well.
    3. Yes, which is the large percentage of people who eat insects voraciously and on a daily basis.

• A: It's extraordinary that we can open up to new ideas such as this. This small feat could save up to 3 billion lives in the upcoming future. As we currently have a global food crisis eating bugs may be the only solution to this catastrophe. The thought of consuming bugs to me is honestly scary. I am already petrified of bugs. And consuming them... no thanks..... this ingenious edition to our food base has potential to become a national food dish.

B: Personally I am aware of people eating bugs but im a very picky eater and dont eat many foods.To change my mind, I would rather not notice I'm eating bugs I am rather screamish and may end up starving myself to death. If I had the right encouragement you may convince me to take a bite. I'm very hard to convince.

C: the cricket powder stood out to me the most because it is very unoriginal of making a fine powder made of insect remains and mixing it into liquid-like foods imitating an entirely different food brand made to withstand our global crisis. It is very interesting the someone had the sheer thought to consume bugs but in in a distant void with vast nothingness except the required recourses it will become a standard survival tactic.
    Could this be a common practise among nations?

Eventually, we will not have enough recourses to survive and continue our reign over

• I don't mind eating bugs I've tried some myself and they weren't that bad. I like the fact that different people around the world are trying or are already eating bugs as a source of food. I mean it makes sense that in like the next twenty years from now the world might be majorly feeding off bugs because it takes quite some time to grow poultry and livestock for meat production and with rapid rising of the global population it would be hard for poultry and livestock farms to keep up with the global demand of meat which contain proteins. Then that's where the farming of bugs comes because bugs don't really take that long to grow and they reproduce in large amounts so it would be easy to stock them in supermarkets. Plus bugs will still hold the same value as meat (proteins).

1. if the world in future will face hunger problems how will the bugs survive that hunger

• Luckily, I have been blessed to have come from one of the 130 countries that are already eating insects as an everyday and normal meal. personally , i have already gotten an opportunity to have already eaten 3 species of insects which include; grass hoppers, locusts and white ants and nothing would convince me to change my mind on the consumption of insects since they are very nutritious to ones body and considering the food crisis in the world I greatly agree with Dr. Eric McAllister who believes that the consumption of insects may be a good if not great way of controlling the ongoing food crisis . And with strong hope I am pretty sure that many people will grow to love the mesmerizing taste of the different species of insects.

• On my side, I would eat bugs because I have seen many people eating them and I would like to try. And to my surprise most people in countries like China, Korea and many others eat them daily. And in tough times like hunger and poverty I would eat the bugs because the situations will have changed my life. What stood out to me was that when you eat bugs they contain valuable things like proteins.

1. Hi unique_editor! It's great that you're so open minded to trying new things. Other than high protein, can you think of some more benefits to eating bugs?

1. Other benefits of eating bugs are,
        Some bugs contain vitamins like B12.
        Some bugs contain antioxidants which help in improving brain health, and in reducing oxidative stress.
        some bugs contain iron and fiber.

1. Hello again unique_editor,

Great answer to my question! Thank you.

2. I agree because... I always see them on documentaries hunting for them and eating them

• Do you eat insects?
    No, because insects are something we are used to being harmful, although I have recent knowledge of their benefits and why we should not eat them, I think, according to what we learned in childhood about food culture. So, what is good food and what is unhealthy food was determined, and when we were young we learned that insects are pests and diseases
    Can anything convince you to change your mind?!
    Probably not, because insects, as we were taught in childhood, will still be with us even at this age or older. This is first, and international food organizations say that insects are the future food wealth of this world, because of their benefits and advantages. A small percentage changed my opinion.

• In my opinion I would not eat bugs but if anyone likes eating them its not a problem because they will cure global food crisis.I don't think anything could convince me to change my mind but something that stands out to me in the video is that people don't moan that they have to eat bugs because of the global food crisis they just eat them because they know the crisis they are in.

• I personally would despise consuming numerous packs of bugs. I mainly believe this because many species of bugs can inject venom into one. Furthermore, one can never say whether a meal is prepared hygienically and not poses a threat to the health of humans when consisting of bugs within them. To continue, like what we are doing to tigers, and other animals, I am also not willing to risk more lives of the insects that dwell on our planet. If I were to think form a positive side, something which could change my mind, would be tasting a sample of our renowned delicacies packed with insect (preferably edible cricket) powder. What stood out to me immensely was the fact that there are 130 countries that actually consume insects for food.Even though there are particles of insect in the meals and snacks we devour to this day, I am still not willing to take the risk of our lives (together has humanity).

• At first glance, it's hard to accept nibbling on a burger made with mashed crickets or eating flour worms with rice, but even if the thought of eating bugs makes you sick right now, the truth is that bugs can be part of our diet. There are some researchers who would like this to happen, and since you are disgusted, you should know that people have been eating them for thousands of years, insects have become a common diet in the world, and there are about 2,000 species of insects that are eaten, mainly in Asia, Africa, South America and Thailand. Fried crispy locusts are sold in stacked trays. In fact, nutritionists encourage eating insects because of their high nutritional value and consider them a complete food in just a small handful. Despite all this, I don't imagine myself one day eating insects, so please don't force us to.

• No I would not eat bugs because they are very disgusting to eat but if we had nothing else to eat I would probably have to eat it. There would be no other option.

1. This made me think! There are millions of people around the world for whom bugs are a big part of their normal diet - they certainly wouldn't say that they are disgusting to eat. I wonder if there are any foods that you eat that someone from a different place or culture might find disgusting?

2. I think you feel the same way many people do! What is it about insects that you think is disgusting? I wonder myself how much is taught to us by society - for example, we eat shellfish (and fish), but in many ways they're disgusting too! Some cultures don't eat pork and some don't eat beef, whereas in the UK we eat a lot of both.

• As we all know that nowadays, almost every developing country is facing food crisis. In this situation if eating bugs and insects can overcome the food crisis then I think it is a really good idea. But eating bugs also depends on the food culture and religious perspective of every country. According to the report of World Health and Food Authority, in upcoming decades eating bugs and different insects could decrease the risk of food crisis. It would be really helpful for those countries which are already eating bugs curries and different recipes made with bugs but it may cause problem for those countries where the cultural and religious values don't allow them to consume bugs as food. In my opinion as if I would ever eat bugs then I will say that "No" because my culture is totally different in terms of food and religious values. But somehow if ever in the future I would have to eat them, then it will totally depend on how serious the situation is. But in general term I highly appreciate the idea of eating bugs to overcome the food crisis in the world because it has so many benefits for those who consume them as well as for the economy of these countries.

• I think if we can eat bugs we have not information about yet and we couldnot information about how to eat bugs? and another question is when we eat insects to fulfill our meal it must be in huge quantity not in small because insects are small in size and we require many of hundreds insects to fulfill our meal there are the problems when we eat insects first if we want to eat insects we make a cage to hold insects in this way we got many efforts to fulfill our meal so a man who survives on simple meal not do this effort and buy meal from market in some money which he gets no efforts

• Before even thinking of making protein powders or noodles from insects, it is a question that, "has the plant and animal food became critically unavailable?" There are people around the world like Beargrills in the wild and even countries that consume insects. I would never think of eating an insect because:
    1. Humans along with insects are a part of ecosystem. It is injustice to cultivate and kill a community for human sake.
    2. We are just exploring insects as option for food. We are not proximate of the health issues that it may cause in the future.
    3. According to the energy flow rule, insects are not direct producers. They do not have much energy and have more toxicity than plant produces. So, insects can never become a staple food. If it becomes so, then it means people are unhealthy.
    I have seen people adding circket powder to their cakes. As an individual I would never be convinced to consume insects. But it is all a matter of evolution that humans may develop to become insect eaters in the future.

1. Thanks receptive_mandarin. How do you think people consuming insects makes them unhealthy?

1. Generation after generation, we eat less nutritious and less quality food. These junk food have become more common food in many countries. Switching to Insect food as a main source of food, cannot provide us all nutrients. Hence, we will become unhealthy or weak than our ancestors.

1. What about if insect food wasn't the main source of food but a source of protein?

1. Yes, it could be a source of protein. But plant protein are always the best.

• First of all our relegious obligation is that we can't eat bug's because It is not allowed to eat. But in some situations as we are in war so we are not able to made food in some situations in this type of situations we also depend on bugs and other things which are able to eat. Even in our regular basis we can't allow to eat bug's because it is forbid in our religion. I think that it's good to eat even I can't eat it ever I think that some bugs are also good for health because I read that there are to much proteins in bugs.

• Today hunger is one of big problem. Many people of countries of Asia and Africa are leading life of poverty,barbarism and sleep in hunger. I think it would be a good idea to deal with hunger. Bugs are full of proteins and other nutrients ; required for life. Already approximately 2 billions of people are dependent on insects. I haven't experienced the taste of bugs till yet and also it is not non-traditional in my culture. But i would prefer these species if it can be helpful in decreasing hunger ratio. Now a days; cultivated lands are going to destruction because of less water,bad irrigation system and less managements. Bugs have too much advantages. Today they are present in enough quantity to feed mouth of whole world up to many years in future. So, it is a good idea to eliminate hunger upto a big ratio.

• Today hunger is one of the big problems. Millions of people of countries of Asia and Africa are leading life of poverty, barbarism and sleep in hunger. According to my thinking point of view; it is a good idea to deal with hunger at global level. Eating bugs is not new. About 2 billions of people are already dependent on insects. Bugs are full of proteins and other nutrients which are required for life. I haven't experienced the taste of insects till yet. It also depends upon cultures and religions that they may prefer it or not. Now a days cultivated lands are going to destruction because of less water,bad irrigation system and less managements. We can survive many decades upon eating bugs. So, eating bugs is a good idea to eliminate hunger upto a big ratio.

• In my opinion, i think that eating bugs is a last resort for food. However, i know that bugs are high in nutrients and are easy to produce.

1. Hi serious_rabbit! Your comment got me thinking. You say that bugs are high in nutrients and easy to produce, so why do you think that eating them should be a last resort?

2. Yes they pretty much are nutritious and, in some people's opinions, delicious yet they don't really have appealing or appetising looks so sticking a cockroach in your mouth probably won't be someone's first thing to do in the morning.

3. I'm not sure about this because... I want eat that because i will be sik

• As we know that every country is facing the problem of food crises then we should eat them.But our culture do not allow us to eat insects . If we cannot solve the problem of food crises then we can eat them

• As we know that the world is facing food crises so in this condition if eating insects and bugs can reduce food crises then it is an excellent idea but in some religions eating these insects is not allowed because of this many people won't eat them .in my opinion I would eat insects if they would be allowed in my religion but generally I highly appreciate the concept of eating bugs and Insects to overcome food crises and the best contributers would be those 2 billion people who are already eating these

• I think it is good for hummans. This is the solution of the problem hunger. Those peoples which have less facilities of food they can live on bugs. Bugs present all around. There are lot number of bugs in the world. Some are good for health and some are bad for health.
    I think they are better in taste. But many insects have viruses and diseases in them . So where they have advantages there they have many disadvantages.

• In my opinion eating insects is not a bad idea.
    I have never knew that there was advantages of eating insects. I was so fascinated when I knew that there were people who ate insects. The most important thing in thing in insects in my opinion is that they contain protein so from today if I was forced to eat insects I would definitely eat them better than starving.

• Eating insects and bugs is not as bad as it is considered many people of world are eating it and the idea of eating bugs to overcome food crises is really good in my opinion I would eat bugs if it be the last option for survival and the people who are already eating can contribute in this but mostly people due to their religious facts they won't eat these insects and this is not the the proper solution for global food crises.because there is enough food to feed everyone but the main problem is affordability of food

• Critter curries and bugs would be delicious, I don't know but if I got the chance to eat them I will surely try because they are full of nutrients, protein and minerals.
    Nowadays, almost 2 billion people eats 2100 edible insects of world. In Europe, insects eating is moving a comeback as people have started to realize that they are full of nutrients. Many insects provides twice the amount of protein than many animals.
    According to ( FAO) of United Nations, the world's population expected to grow to 9.8 billion by 2050. So, the problem of shortage of food is still a very serious issue so how to eliminate it's deficiency at that time will be finished. Eating edible insects is the best solution of this problem.

• according to me bugs are really ok to be eaten by people since they are eaten in our country and people are always eager to receive them for example grasshopper this makes me really think that people all over the world can have this as food because even they take little time to mature so keeping them could really improve on the food supply on market since the available food like poultry and cattle take moreover a year to mature so if people agree to have this as food it can really improve food crisis and malnutrition since they are really rich in proteins so they don't have much sideeffects.

• As we all know that The World is facing the shortage of food and it will be gonna more with the passage of time. We should be looking at some solutions for this issue. And I think that eating Bugs and other insects can be a wonderful idea. Some people may not agree with me but in my opinion, if you're in need of food, and you aren't getting it, then eating those insects or bugs which don't have adverse affects on human health could be a solution to this Worldwide upcoming issue!! Also, bugs contain rich sources of vitamins and nutrients which can be helpful for human health!!

• Although many people eat bugs around the world, still this idea is not appealing for me because through magical thinking I have associated it with a feeling of disgust. Moreover, many religions including Judicism Christianity and Islam forbids many insects to eat. Further, since they fly over contaminated surfaces and we as Pakistanis don't have much resources to make them germ free and to eat ,therefore it is a bad idea for me to eat them. However, if they are the only thing left on earth to eat then never mind eating them.

• I agree with your statement but that there are enough bugs and critters to eat but some people doesn't like to eat these things.According to there tradition they discourage this act such as my country Pakistan and middle east Asian countries and some other Muslim countries.
    However some countries like CHINA and other countries encourage this act.They should do this to minimize this problem.
    It is concluded that Somehow problem can be solved doing this but not all.

• According to my information, there are a large number of people around the world who eat insects, and insects are the food of many places and countries in the world, and it is their main diet; From my point of view, I think that this custom is related to the popular culture and religious belief of those peoples as well as from the tradition that there are restaurants in these countries that serve insect meals. Environmental scientists recently studied insects, are they a solution and a new food alternative, insects in general cause feelings Disgust and filth in some of us or all of us, and are you shocked by the strange facts that the world has deduced from the benefits of eating insects..!! This habit is very disgusting as it contradicts our beliefs.

• I remember being late in August, because this topic is very exciting. Reading about this topic, I found a recent meta-analytical paper published in Environmental Research Letters Dec. 22, PhD student Mackenzie Wade, at the University of California, Santa Barbara, explores. And her colleague Jeffrey Hoyle some of the reasons for this. Wade says edible insects are still far from being an essential part of mainstream diets in Western countries. Because what we consider good to eat is a matter that we learn culturally. We are taught from a young age what food is acceptable, tasty and nutritious and these foods become familiar to us. "The cultural knowledge that we often receive about insects from a young age is that insects are pests and vectors of diseases," she says. I find her words very logical.

• To cope up with the lurking danger of food,the consumption of bugs and insects can be the best option. As bugs are easily available and low cost food.These edible bugs have also good nutrients for human health.But in my country due to our religion and culture,bugs usage as food can be a taboo. But yeah if the situation becomes worse, the option can be used.

• In my opinion As long as they're cooked well, sure! Some people are squeamish about eating bugs, but they can be a nutritious (and sustainable) source of protein. Curries made with insects can be just as tasty as those made with more traditional ingredients - it all comes down to the spices and seasonings you use.

• Yes, I would eat bugs . I have ever experienced the taste of bugs and they are not that bad. Some people are just ignorant but they don't that bugs are actual delicious. I also think like 20 to 30 years from now bugs are going be eaten regularly.
    First of all, nothing and no one can convince me to change my mind because in countries like Afghanistan is a desert country so people in this country are affected with poverty and famine . I give them advise that they should withstand with the current situation and try eating bugs because are not harmful like ants.

• I think that eating bugs has both advantages and disadvantages, the main advantage is that there's lots of them and they're easy to farm making them a reliable food source but as many people are vegetarian or vegan it means it would not feed everyone, another advantage is that they're high in protein this means that although in my opinion being slightly disgusting, they are good for us. I am aware that bugs are good for us but scuttling around in the dirt, flies contain viruses are they hygienic? Even though bugs are already eaten today personally I don't think they're the next step in human consumption as eventually they might run out and adding more species to the endangered list isn't the way to go. Another reason I don't think eating bugs is the next step is because taking them out of the wild and putting them on our plates may destroy the food chain and without eating things like cows and sheep in a couple of decades there may be too many to handle. In conclusion, I think that although eating bugs have many advantages the downsides out way them.

• The bugs and critters and other types of this sort are best for those who are already eating and using them in proper diet like New Zealand,Australia,Central and South America But what about those countries which can not only think about it Due to cultural and religious perspectives But in serious conditions we can take it as diet

• As we know there are millions of people who are facing hunger crisis in the world. Due to lack of food, People have started eating insects. This method will prove to be a good way to solve the food crisis in the world, but some religious do not allow eating insects. The number of insect eaters is about 2billions. I estimate that in a few years the number of insect eaters will increase and become in the world

• Eating bugs is also a new idea to temporarily solve the problem of food but this is not permanent solution. It is also source of nutrition. Bugs have lot of nutrition so farmers nourish bugs instead of animals. Bugs have lot of vitamins and for mental health. If through this we can resolve solution of food crisis then it is best compliment to food.

• It would depend on the bugs that I eat for example grasshoppers and white ants, these are the most edible bugs which have no harm so I would only eat these bugs.
    I would get these edible bugs and fry them then put some salt for the best taste and I can eat them dry or also drink with something, I can also eat them with some food and these bugs are easy to find, they also help in your health like they strengthen the vitamin in your body.

• First of all, it is not easy for Human Nature to accept eating bugs and critters but in my opinion, after giving a little information to the people about bugs, then we can understand their importance. According to a survey,eating bugs provide vitamins and nutrients which are in larger quantity than that of eating beef or pork. We must develop this concept in the people. And this could be a wonderful and excellent idea to overcome the upcoming worldwide food crises issue!!

• I agree the world is facing a problem of food. I understand some bugs can provide vitamins and they're not harmful for human But many insects are harmful effects of humans. In my opinion the insects are not made for eating purposes.

1. Are any animals made for eating purposes?

1. No none animals are made to be eaten but sometimes we just cant help ourselves.

• In my opinion There's no denying that some people find the idea of eating bugs to be a little bit off-putting. But there's also no denying that bugs are a nutritious and sustainable source of protein that could play a big role in feeding the world's growing population. So, if you're not squeamish, why not give bug burgers and critter curries a try? They might just surprise you with how delicious they can be!

• Today hunger is one of the big problems. Millions of people of countries of Asia and Africa are leading life of poverty, barbarism and sleep in hunger. So we should eat insects. Eating insects and bugs is not as bad as it is considered many people of world are eating it and the idea of eating bugs to overcome food crises is really good in my opinion I would eat bugs if it be the last option for survival and the people .

• In my opinion, eating of bugs and insects is not a bad idea. Though I don't support it . if eating of bugs is taken into consideration by most countries affected by food crisis, it wouldn't be that helpful. For example the edibles that can be made from bugs are mostly snacks and if one is hungry l don't think they can consider eating a snack. ln my country most people are not allowed to eat some bugs because of their totems like me myself l don't eat grasshoppers. Most bugs an insects in the environment are useful and since bugs are eaten in large amounts it might lead to there extinction in some particular countries e.g. the bees they pollinate flowers and they provide honey. Bugs mostly those that fly help to disperse seeds. So imagine a country with less of such bugs, it wouldn't be good for the country. And I don't eat bugs because they disgust me and they don't look to taste nicely. I don't trust eating bugs because some of them are poisonous and l don't think drying or frying of them removes the poison from them. l don't think anything can convince me to eat a bug. The video is interesting, the flour made from the bugs can be very useful it can be used to bake bread, cakes and others.

• I would not like to eat bugs nd insects rather I prefer to eat herbs and tree leaves . By educating people not to waste even a single grain until the time of crisis. Everybody in the world tend to save money why we cant save our resources. Affiliation with resources must be given priority . So in my opinion say no to bugs even if there is food crises

• I agree with the above statement that bugs can be eaten instead of burgers as it a solution to global food crisis. It has good effects on health as it has proteins and vitamins in it which increases our metabolic rate and help us survive more better but the problem is that their are vegan people and many other religious region issues. According to me, these issues are right as it has many disadvantages such as fungal , bacterial diseases which can harm us in a very different way and I don't want another Covid-19. We have enough food to survive but who have no way to channelize it around the globe due to many issues i.e. Poverty, Climate changes and many more. The conclusion is that if we are left with no food then we can eat bugs and insects to survive. But for daily use it is not so easy to have them in the plate for breakfast and I don't recommend it but in next few years we might have to shift to insects. The world is changing day by day and I know that their will be a day when it will be happing in an open way but till today it is nearly impossible to take it to the whole world as no one will accept it as a source of survival but they will understand it by time . We have to work more on it to make it possible to be eaten as breakfast.

• As we know, world has been facing the food crisis. In this condition, if eating insects can reduce the food crisis, then it is a brilliant opinion to eat them.

• As we know there are millions of people who are facing hunger crisis in the world. Due to lack of food, people have started eating insects.The number of insect eaters is about. I estimate that in a few years the number of insect eaters will increase and become in the world.

• Munching on insects is disgusting to think but so is killing chickens, goats, fish, etc,.. cutting them up and eating. But cooking them makes it good to eat. So, disgust cannot be the only reason for why we won't eat insects. Edible insects who are pollinating agents such as bees, caterpillars,etc, shouldn't be eaten because they are the reason for most of the world's food supply and we cannot risk it.The feed conversion efficiency of farming insects is four times more than that of cattle. Plus they contain more minerals and nutrients than a steak of beef. Insect farming needs less resources compared to animal farming. So I think it's better to start consuming insects to reduce the risk of food insecurity in the future.

• I don't eat bugs but I have heard that many countries eat bugs and they are their favorite food.But I don't prefer eating but they are rich in protein which can support our immune system. So eating bugs is good for health and I just imagine if all the organism become extinct in future because of climatic changes we should start eating insects in future to lead a healthy life and to survive too..! So I am thinking eating bugs is a good idea and now we all are not eating but in future there will be a situation where we will be eating insects just to survive our life .

• I have listened about this idea a couple of years before and i watched some videos on culture and insect industry. At that time this idea for me was less appealing because i hadn't idea about the hunger and starvation situation of the world. Now at this forum i was enlightened about the current situation of Food Crisis. I have come across the fact that we already used to eat bugs in bread, lentils and many cereals. Actually nature aleady know that they are good source of protein so their nutritional values equal to cereals and lentils.
    Now the idea of bug eating is less disgusting for me. And the people who are conscious about the diet they would very much like this idea because bugs have almost fats free. Bugs also used in medicine and supplements we consume on daily basis.
    Personally if i would have food in my plate i will not likely to go for this choice i.e. eat bugs etc.
    But after participating in this festival i have learned about the value of all the food industry and reasons to create them.
    I wouldn't mind to consume bugs if i am already consuming them alongwith wheat bread and lentils rice i will prefer the less appealing choices in need of the hours of Food crises. i will go to the option of survival. Eating values comes from ethnics, social and religious backgrounds can be compromised when the humanity need to survive in the wake of alarming situation for the survival of human race.

• Bugs are filled with "Protein" and "Amino acids" I think that's why people mostly eat bugs.
    Usually the people of Africa, Asia and Latin America mostly like to eat bug

• "It's good to think about new ideas but I am kindly in the middle I don't agree to eat bugs or disagree because bugs have important scene in our life for the ecosystem there are many bugs and worms who help farmers to get rid of harmful plant waister insects so if this bugs and worms were eaten many plants will be waisted as what happened in the Great chinese famine in the period of 1959 and 1961, It is widely regarded as the deadliest famine and one of the greatest man-made disasters in human history, with an estimated death toll due to starvation that ranges in the tens of millions (15 to 55 million). It is because of it is because of killing insects who helped in preventing harmful insects so the harmful insects wasted many plants and food that caused the great famine.

1. You've made a really interesting point about how insects can help other areas of food production as well!

• Eating Insects?

As scientists believe that there will be 10 million human mouths to fees by 2050, we will require more than one insects each (if we decide to eat them). What if we eat all the insects - what will humans eat then?

To add to that, insects have family and lives too. We can't kill insects for our well-being - how would you feel if your family member was eaten, without even a piece of their body left? That is how insects probably feel if their friend or family member was crushed into powder or eaten.

However, the thought of not eating bugs and insects plain makes me feel a little bit better. If we ate, for example, bug milkshakes and not bugs as they are now, I would still hesitate but I would eventually try it.

But, what about vegetarian households? There are approximately 1.5 billion vegetarian people - if we eat bugs what will they eat?

I am vegetarian myself - that is why I am (frankly) a little bit disgusted by the thought of eating live (or used-to-be-live) things.

One last question - as the people in the video make cricket powder, do they include the eyes, face and bones along with all of their limbs?

Thank you.

1. I really like your point about humans potentially eating all the insects too, you have shown great problem-solving and ability to think ahead into the future. I also really like your point about vegetarianism and how this much be a problem for vegetarians.

• I think it is a good idea but it doesn't help vegetarians or vegans so at the same time as exploring new animal products we also need to be thinking about new sustainable plant based products. I probably wouldn't eat insects mainly because I love insects.

1. You show great creativity by mentioning for whom eating insect may be a problem.

• Yes I eat bugs and insects, when there is a insufficient food in the world we all need to eat bugs which contains 80% protein , which can be used as an energy to do day to day activity. When we farm insects it will be more useful at the time of food crisis it would be act as an alternative one. Eating bugs and insects does not cause harm to human. But some bugs and insect may cause harm to us . Some countries are having insect market in which they are selling different kinds of insects such as cricket , meal worm and grasshopper. Farming insects are very efficient when compared to cattle , poultry and piggery which require more amount of water and large land but insect farming requires only less amount of water and small area for producing them. Insects are packed with more nutrition and protein when compared to other meat products.

• With population every increasing, it's important that we find ways to feed more. While I am a vegetarian who haven't tasted anything that has eggs, meat or seafood or chicken, yet when I discussed some of the options with my friends, this is what I could conclude.

Few years back when I was visiting Vietnam, Cambodia with my family, the tour guide explained about the Vietnam war - its effect on common people, and he also added that since many had to fend themselves from the disastrous situation, they were facing due to war, they started eating bugs and more bugs for survival. Today, we can see exclusive bug markets in Cambodia and Vietnam, which has become part of their staple food. Thus, eating bugs had saved several of the people during such a difficult situation they faced due to internal and external war that these countries were going through.
    There are many insects that are edible, and which possess lot of nutrients and proteins. For those who consume meat this definitely could be a good alternative source for eating healthy food.
    Today, we find that these edible bugs are converted into different forms so that one doesn't feel squeamish to consume. The resources that are to be used rearing cattle is much more compared what the bugs need to use.
    Thus, the bugs would produce much lesser greenhouse cases compared to the farm animals and also augments the efforts to control the food crisis prevalent across the globe.

• Nope , I don't eat bugs as it is not a part of my own culture . If there is no food, no choice, I should eat it .

• 1. Would you eat bugs? If yes, how? And if no, why not?
    If I cannot even stand the sight or touch of a bug what is the probability I would consider eating them. In other words my answer is a huge NO! I know what a ram or cow eats basically grass but, bugs? I have no clue what they eat they could be eating poop for all I know. I would rather not take the risk.

2. Could anything convince you to change your mind?
    I have asked myself this question over and over again. If the shortage of food was drastically high and there were no other option but to start eating bugs would I eat them? The answer is NO! I still have my trusty plants as my last resort if available. Did you know with water only, but no food, survival time may extend up to 2 to 3 months within that time there is bound to be available food.

3. Did anything from the video stand out to you? What?
    Dr. Erica McAllister has a drawer filled with various kinds of insects. I have seen people place all kinds of things in their drawers but not insects-in such an arranged manner. Making insect flour or pasta scares me, it can be so deceitful especially when you are not told the ingredients.

• Big "No", I wont eat bugs, because in my country, bugs are usually linked with dirty places and garbage, and the most common bugs are flies and cockroaches which eat dirt and spread diseases, this is why I find myself not accepting eating bugs in any way.

However, in some Palestinian villages near Hebron, some people actually have a habit of eating snails, but even in their case, they usually feed them cucumber to empty their bodies from dirt and then wash them many times, before finally cocking and eating them... But this is an exception, and for most of my county the culture is not accepting the idea of someone eating any kind of bugs. But this is different for some other countries, where they have different cultures and for some of them, its acceptable to eat bugs! But again for me and honestly, I don't think I will ever be convinced to do so.

• Yes I would eat bugs because then I would get the protein I need and the calories I need to stay alive.

• 1.Would you eat bugs? If yes, how? And if no, why not?
    2.Could anything convince you to change your mind?
    I wouldn't eat bugs. I wouldn't eat bugs because I personally I'm vegetarian and I wouldn't dream of eating critters and by the way eating these many of these bugs feed decaying matter which can be a threat when ingested into someone's blood stream and might cause different diseases like Lyme disease, plague and many more
    nothing can convince me to change my mind

• I think that bugs can be eaten only if they are prepared in a hygienic and safe way then they are definitely edible. If the world's population will increase by 2050,then we will have to deal with a load of problems.
    Also, bugs contain a lot of protein and nutrition,so this will give an immense boost in our heath. We need to deal with problems.We need to take action. We need to start facing numerous problems.

• I would eat bugs as they are nice and tasty however what about people of faiths where you don’t eat any living creature? And what about vegetarians and vegans? Are bugs vegetarian/vegan?

• Personally, I think that the idea of making insects as a source of food for future life is a good idea. But, some insects aren’t edible and they may not be as good as the food we eat today, but thinking in another way can make me believe that the food we eat today may not last, so in order to survive for later, this is a good idea.

1. I disagree because food will last forever, scientists found that the world population could be too big to feed itself by 2050. by then, there will be almost 10 billion people on the planet and food demand will have increased by 70 percent compared to 2017.

I think that eating bugs has both advantages and disadvantages, the main advantage is that there's lots of them and they're easy to farm making them a reliable food source but as many people are vegetarian or vegan it means it would not feed everyone, another advantage is that they're high in protein this means that although in my opinion being slightly disgusting, they are good for us. I am aware that bugs are good for us but scuttling around in the dirt, flies contain viruses are they hygienic? Even though bugs are already eaten today personally I don't think they're the next step in human consumption as eventually they might run out and adding more species to the endangered list isn't the way to go. Another reason I don't think eating bugs is the next step is because taking them out of the wild and putting them on our plates may destroy the food chain and without eating things like cows and sheep in a couple of decades there may be too many to handle. In conclusion, I think that although eating bugs have many advantages the downsides out way them

• I personally would despise consuming numerous packs of bugs. I mainly believe this because many species of bugs (especially creepy crawlies) can inject venom into one. Furthermore, one can never say whether a meal is prepared hygienically and not poses a threat to the health of humans when consisting of bugs withinn them. To continue, like wht we are doing to tigers, and other aimals, I am also not willing to risk more lives of the insects that dwell on our planet. If I were to think form a positive side, something which could change my mind, would be tasting a sample of our remowned delicacies packed with insect (preferably edible cricket) powder. What stood out to me immensely was the fact that there are 130 countries that actually consume insects for food.

Even though there are particles of insect in the meals and snacks we devour to this day, I am still not willing to take the risk of our lives (together has humanity).

• I think it is a good way to get protein because bugs are a natural way to get protein it is also a easier way to get protein powder also some countries are already eating them so why not try.

• I personally would not eat bugs because they look disgusting! If they are going to be a new source of food,what would the vegetarians and vegans eat?

• I’m glad we have found something else to eat but it sounds gross 🤮
    I would not ever try it

• I would not eat insects because they would be very disgusting! Also the texture would feel very strange.
    Who knows what they could taste like? Not many people would like eating insects.

1. Would you be more tempted if they were crushed into an ingredient and made into a nice tasting smoothie for example?

• i would never eat bugs in my life NEVER!

1. I agree because... because bugs are disgusting and I would NEVER ate bugs again

2. I agree because...it is discussing

• I wouldn’t eat bugs because I ate a bug before and it was disgusting and I nearly through up and my sister did not eat it because she was so scared I was just laughing the hole way and my cousin ate one as well and the same as my sister done the same and I was laughing.

• This seems disgusting, but in reality this may be better for our planet, as well as all of us, my opinion on this is that it absolutely horrifying. Its good too be open to new ideas on life, but i have a estimation that having bugs in food or just in general will end up having problems with our future. for example, it could end up with people getting ill because it may be poisonous or could contain ingredients people could be allergic to. I personally do not want to eat bugs, because they seem a weird thing to eat, but i feel that our future will not be great if we eat critters, insects, bugs etc. The fact of eating bugs would be revolting, but i think everyone could get use to eating them over time. Some people may think that it is okay to start eating them. Its indeed ti me for the world to change its consumption habits towards a better and more sustainable future.

1. I agree because... i think eating bugs is horrible and i think it will effect all of our futures badly.

1. Does everyone feel the same, that eating bugs is "horrible"? Actually, millions of people around the world already have bugs as an important part of their diet and experts believe that even more people will in future!

2. True maybe it might be better for our planet but I would not ear bugs

3. I agree because... I have ate bugs befor and it was disgusting and I nearly threw up

4. I agree because It is good to be open with ideas, especially as life is in a crisis of food and in the future bugs may be our only source of food. But there could be some bugs that poison and could cause allergies.

• I wouldn't want to eat bugs because it could make you feel unwell and ill.

1. What about if they were an ingredient in something and tasted nice?

1. If they made it as ingredient and they put it in my food and I liked it I still wouldn’t recommend eating it.

2. I agree it would be gross to eat it will make everyone ill

1. Is this a fact or an opinion, glorious_raspberry?

• If you raise meal worms as food then you still need a source of food for them which means more mono-cropping of corn which has lots of problems in itself. That same land s Could be converted to ruminant foods and rotationally graze on it which helps lock up carbon and can restore biodiversity in the soil. There is a pretty interesting book by Robb Wolf called "Sacred Cow" that is worth a read!

• I do not recommend eating insects as basic food directly, but insects are considered as natural fertilizers or nutritional supplements for human consumers, where insects can be raised more and used to contribute to the production of plants and food more through the process of (insect pollination)

• I do not recommend eating insects as basic food directly, but insects are considered as natural fertilizers or nutritional supplements for human consumers, where insects can be raised more and used to contribute to the production of plants and food more through the process of (insect pollination)

• As an palestinian I do not have a problem with eating insects if their price is low and it provides a healthy nutritional value.. and prevents poverty and hunger.. beside definitely changing its shape.. through industry as powder or incorporating it into commodities such as pasta, flour, etc.

I hope that palestinian investors will start producing this in palestinian and exporting it to Asian countries that need it, and trying to convert it into any food product accepted by the palestinian will solve huge problems.

Even Islam does not forbid eating insects as

food.

• 1_ Do you eat insects?

I cannot say the definitive answer, but there is a 50% chance that I will do it and 50% I will not do it because we know what will happen in the future, but I am optimistic and sure that we will not need to eat bugs in the future and we will find a very nice solution

2_ Can anything convince you to change his mind?

I don't think so, everyone of us has his own decisions and convince himself, and if others can convince each other, I can say this is very good.

3_ Did anything stand out to you from the video? What?

No, nothing came out to me, but I said before, each of us has his own decisions, and if I will eat insects or worms recently, this applies to what will happen in the future, and I hope that we do not tempt ourselves to eat insects and find the appropriate solution

• I don't have anything against bug eatars at all.(In fact, Im secretly tempted ti eat my hedgehog's meal worms now)
    But....
    Imagine_Bugs don't exactly have "meat" When you eat that bug, your eating the brain, the eyes, the mouth, the stomach, the intestinea, the reproductive organs-EVERTHING. And if it's dried? Well, I noticed my hedgehogs dried meal worms have a long dark string that looks like intestines

• It would be a great help to the environment to make eating bugs on a regular basis commonplace but due to squeamishness and the fact that many people have the economic ability to buy more socially accepted foods for a higher cost, it is unlikely the switch will occur.
    To overcome the squeamishness, producers would have to make the bugs less like bugs, most likely by grinding them up and using them as a supplement to other foods, which would most likely increase the cost and still wouldn't reduce the consumption of those other foods, effectively diminishing the main benefits of eating the bugs in the first place.

• Through my reading and my reading, I've had a change in my diet. A young female entrepreneur in Zimbabwe with an agriculture degree went to fight malnutrition in her village from a edible insect farm, The cockroaches that she breeds contain high quality protein from the village. So that insects can help eradicate world hunger and reduce the dependance on intensive agriculture. Although this food is exotic in Arabic culinary culture, there are two billion people who eat insects, so I have a belief that it will one day become the daily bread of the people. Insects are low in fat, they contain fiber, they lack meat, and they have Vitamin B12,which is not found in plant-based foods. Insects protein are easier to degest than leguminous proteins, and in a view, insects are no worse than shrimp and snail, and they are easier to breed.

• Eating worms and insects is considered a reasonable food alternative in light of the current global food crisis. And insects have an important healthy nutritional value because they contain a high amount of fatty acids, minerals and fibers. And protein, meaning it's not much different from meat. But this requires us to change people's negative perception of eating worms. And setting up restaurants that prepare worms dishes in different ways in order to become more familiar among the communities.

• It sparked my thinking to bring up the discussion about eating bedbugs.
    I find the thought of taking it for me personally is something that disturbs my mind.
    I don't think out loud with you about bedbugs
    We all know that the world’s population is increasing frighteningly, and this is what made there a big problem in food. Some peoples make the bug dish an official dish on their table. Perhaps scientifically, the body of bugs contains some nutritional compounds that are useful to humans, but let’s imagine that we made it a meal for everyone and we wonder.
    Ants, for example, contain proteins and minerals, so what if they disappeared after that? How will organisms decompose after their death if we eat worms? What will happen to our bodies if we eat scorpions? We find the answer difficult for us, as ants and worms are important for the decomposition of dead living organisms, otherwise diseases will spread and people will die not from starvation but from pollution.If we eat scorpions we will die from poisoning.
    I find myself answering that I cannot eat insects and bugs, no matter what it costs me.
    This universe is for every living creature a function to keep our planet in peace according to an integrated biological system.

• Frankly, I don't know if I ate bugs or insects in my life or not perhaps i ate them without knowing if the food i ate consist them but it is prohibited in our religion and tradition so I'll not eat them with my desire
    I hope to know if it is healthy honestly I don't know who can prove that for me
    In any way if i forced to eat them in hard conditions i consider them just like a medicine but i hope not.

• yes, I would eat it because it contains a source of protein which is considered low cost. Can anything convince me to change my mind? No, because it can be a food source in the world food crisis. In the video I didn't realize there was a powder made from cockroaches that really surprised me.

• Eating insects is one of the solutions in some countries to reduce the food crisis, and it's a good idea,They consider insects a main meal in their food and thay love it, and many scientists said that insects have a lot of proteins, But in some countries thay do not like to eat them and consider them disgusting food, and I personally will not eat insects as the religon of Islam urges us.

• eating bugs is a great alternative to eating meat from mammals or poultry. It saves water, space, nutrition which would be fed to cattle etc. And imagine that a bug farm would be far less cruel to animals. Bugs don't need much space and nutrition and only need to live for a few days to be eaten. Bigger animals like chickens or pigs suffer their whole lives physically and psychically.

So, yes, I'm really curious to eat some bugs.

• Whenever we read a topic about eating insects, the Lion King comes to mind when Timon and Bumba try to convince Simba to eat insects and how he felt... I think that one day we will have insects in our diet, and that is not impossible.... Recent studies have shown that many times more vitamins, protein, and minerals are useful to some insects in our daily diet.... Many countries use this method as a form of nutrition to combat malnutrition. But the question is, can we put it in the diet? Since this is hard for most people to accept, there are many ways in which insect larvae can be harnessed before they grow and blend in with the food... grinding and adding insects to the food such as breads and pastries can also be added to juices.... It can be added to chocolate and peanut butter, for example, to make children like it. Those who didn't eat the honey, who didn't realize its tremendous benefits, and we all know it's made of bees, let alone insects themselves... When we see the devastating effects of what we are going to be in the next few years, we have to accept this idea, and insects will be the food of the future.

• Some regions and countries follow religion to consume food items while others without any obligation to a belief. For example some parts of the world population is vegetarian and other is meat eater.
    I would not eat bugs of any kind but only one -locusts - allowed in my religion - Islam.
    Yes in dire need I can eat to save my life even the things not allowed usually - as per my belief.
    The fact in the video that bugs are produce more efficiently, and without much expenditure - is a point to be noted.

• We all know that there are developing countries and there are famines and food crises because of their poverty, but insects will help get rid of this crisis, and therefore I do not mind eating insects, but if there is something to do with religion or culture, it is possible that my culture and my religion do not allow me to eat insects And insects, but if I would have to eat with difficulty. I would have done in order to save my life, too. The thing about whether insects are poisonous or not, I have to first know if they are poisonous or not so that I can eat them because if they are poisonous and I don't know they are, my body and my health will be in great danger. Insects are also associated with agriculture. There are some insects that help farmers grow plants. They can overcome agricultural pests. These insects cannot be eaten because they help in agriculture. I read about the famine that happened in China from 1959 to 1961 because the Chinese were eating insects that help in agriculture, and it caused famines and many, many people died. They died because of eating these insects, which led to the damage of crops and agricultural lands, which led to starvation.

• I do not eat insects, they are harmful and cause diseases, but they have some benefits, as some of them kill insects harmful to plants, and I can be persuaded to eat them, but according to the method used to turn them into delicious food, there are many people who like to eat insects, especially because they contain proteins
    Some insects are rare, such as luminous flies, which help in lighting, and some are on the verge of extinction, such as dragonflies and the most amazing thing in the video is how to turn cockroaches into food, but this is possible and we can also extract medicines from them so that we can discover healthy medicines and vaccines, and also some insects have a voice Lovely, comforts the heart, likeNight cockroach and insects form when food spoils. In my opinion, we should not offend insects, as they are part of nature

• I am aware that people eat bugs
    but personally I don't think I can eat bugs ,but asking this question made me wonder are we about to suffer from a catastrophe of hunger, so I searched more for these insects and found many positives for them, It is also rich in protein and nutrients، Eating insects can help us secure food for upcoming generations and Insect farming can provide a stable income.
    But the European Food Safety Authority warns that there are biological, chemical and environmental risks for us to consume insects as a common food
    Therefore, radical solutions must be found to eliminate the dangers of eating bugs and make them safer to eat

1. I agree because... we do not know the harm they my course to us and the world is busy trying to solve so many problems like gender equality, racism, food crisis and so many more.

1. You agree with which part? And you say that the world is busy solving problems such as the food crisis....but bugs could help with that!

• It is good to ring the alarm bells to be aware of evil before it occurs. If we find appropriate solutions from now on, there will be no food crisis in the future, so that we do not resort to eating insects. Because the food that is beneficial for our bodies is vegetables, fruits and meat Not the insects that are on the garbage and in unknown and unclean areas. Food from its appearance opens or closes the appetite. How do you feel when you are presented with a plate full of insects? This is very disgusting and I do not like to eat that at all. God Almighty has honored man above all other creatures in all things, including food, so we must eat and drink what is more beneficial to us.

• I believe that eating foods and deciding what to eat and what not to eat are determined by social custom, habit, and cooking culture. From a young age we learn that bugs are pests and transmitters of diseases.
    For example, if you were born and lived in China, you will be raised that eating bugs is normal, but if you live in an Arab or European country, you will consider bugs as disgusting food. Therefore, I can't eat bugsdespite my knowledge of the benefits of this type of food, but I hope that eating it becomes part of our culture because bugsare the link between the two systemsIt is also considered the next sustainable food revolution because it requires much fewer resources and produces fewer emissions of greenhouse gases. bugscan be raised on a small portion of water and feed, and it can be used to recycle and reduce food waste by feeding them excess food instead of throwing it away
    My grandfather's generation would never have eaten sushi. It takes a long time to convince consumers
    It also needs creative ideas in introducing bugsto people, for example, adding them to their usual food, such as chocolate and peanut butter, and making sure that they are suitable for human consumption.

• 1.I probably wouldn't eat bugs, unless it was cut into chunks, because: it would make me want to not eat the bug if I was eating when it still looks like a bug, instead I would eat it cut into meat chunks, because that way my mind is taken off the fact that it is actually an insect.

2.Yes, you could cut it into chunks, like I mentioned in the first paragraph

3. The fact that people do eat insects really surprised me. Some people even like eating them.

• I am not really sure if will and if I want to. Firstly research has that insects provide more protein than even meat and chicken eggs and they contain nutrients such as iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, sodium and zinc which are good for the body but if we start eating insect some insects will become extinct like animals . I may be convinced to eat them only if it is the only cure to an illness and also depending on the taste. But I do not think it will be a good idea.

• I can't say anything about eating bugs but that thing is clear that i will not eat bugs directly. May be i could eat if they are mixed or added with some thing. And one thing i would say that bugs are in already used by many industries like bugs and insects are being used in bread,bakery items and medicines.
    For example I don't like to eat cream or butter directly on toast or something else but if they are added to custard or something else like this i always eat it.
    Same is the case with bugs. Being honest when i was seeing the video i just really want to vommit by seeing people are eating insects directly although they are a source of good protein and are almost fat free but i cant eat because not only i hate insects but i am also a bit afraid of them.
    And the question that can anyone change my mind.
    I can't say that clearly but i would say that it totally depend on my choice nd no one can convince me
    At this time i would like to stay hungry but can't eat bugs and critters, otherwise it totally depend on future crises .

• Historically, many cultures in different parts of the world have made insects a part of their diets, approximately 2 111 species of insects are consumed in about 140 countries. But coming from a biological point of view different kinds of bacteria that are known to make people ill have been found in insects including E. coli and Campylobacter. I personally discourage the consumption of bugs.

1. don't forget to cite your sources, emotional_meaning!

• This is a stage where we are compelled to think about eaing bugs. It does not mean that some bugs can not be consumed but their consumption should be our option and not a compulsion or replacement instead.
    Yes, I would eat locusts being halal but not other bugs being not allowed for consumption in my religion.
    Nothing but need can change my mind.

• No, It would make me lose my appetite. Even if they are healthy I wont open my mouth for one of those creepy-crawlies.

1. The world is receiving knew ideas and it is not bad if you open up to some in addition bugs are highly nutritious.

• Would you eat bugs? If yes, how? And if no, why not?

Depends , I would not eat bugs if I had food bugs carry diseases such as malaria, yellow fever, Zika, dengue, chikungunya, and Lyme , Yes they carry lots of protein such as high levels of vitamin B12, iron, zinc, fiber, essential amino acids, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and antioxidants , Also lots of people are allergic to bugs .

Could anything convince you to change your mind?

Maybe , if I didn't have food then most likely I would not have a problem with eating bugs but , if i was hungry I would not just say "lets go eats some bugs"

• It is the most discussing thing ever why would you eat it!

• it may seem duscusting but it could happen to us i would rather not to eat bugs thow i would stay with normal food for now.

1. What does "normal" food mean, free_goji? Can you think of any things that are "normal" to you that people from other parts of the world might find strange?

• The consumption of bugs is not a bad idea but in my opinion instead of eating bugs, bugs should be used for making drugs. Since bugs are rich in protein, iron, fats and calcium they can be a good ingredient in making drugs mostly supplements.

• well I think that we should eat them because then we would not run out of food esier. But what will change my mind would be if we eat ants because I like them alot. When I wathed the video the part when they had a muzime and how they alouded people to have a tast test of the bugs.

1. Glad you enjoyed the video vibrant_grape! Would you try bugs if you were offered the chance?

• I HATE ETING BUGS YUK

• I most probably wouldn't eat bugs , unless I am starving because, lets be real , eating bugs isn't the nicest of things. But some people are forced too, but it is a sustainable supply of protein😃 Some bugs may taste nice to some, but in my opinion, their not the best.

In some foods there can be up to 8 insect legs, because sometimes its intentional, others its accidental, but either way , there is pretty much bugs in every meal and snack you eat (Apart from freshly picked fruit)

So what's your opinion?

• eating insects would I do it yes because it has it's advanteges and it's good to open to new ideas in life i would eat them if they do not pose a threat to humans it would be okay if we did start eating them and they're not going extinct because there are trillians allive so much bugs (I hate bugs bye the way )

what's your opinion

• I would say even though its discusting I would eat bugs because they say they are filled with nutreince and vitimense that is good for us. I could change by if they made ants in the bug eating thing because I love ants and nature. My fivrete part of the video was that they were in a muzime and there were letting people to have a tast test. I think tis becase people should be saving food better and they would make less rubish in the ocene and it would not be as much palooted and that is all but I want to see other coments later and I will get to see what you made. So I hope you like it.

• Some scientists believe that edible insects are the next sustainable food revolution and could be a meal for people in the future

Although insects have traditionally been a staple part of the diet in many parts of the world, there is an aversion to eating them as food for the vast majority of people. But what is the reason behind this, and is eating insects different from eating beef and lamb, for example, and why do scientists consider eating insects the best in the long run?

Edible insects are still far from being an essential part of the diets prevailing in Arab countries. Because what we consider good to eat is a matter we learn culturally. We learn from an early age what is acceptable, delicious and nutritious food, and these foods become familiar to us. And she adds, "The cultural knowledge that we often receive about insects from childhood is that insects are pests and carriers of diseases." And I do not think that my opinion will change in the future.

• Okay maybe some people like to eat bugs but I my opinion i would not eat bugs because if they were to be eaten then they shouldnt be found in the dirtiest places although they have high protein but we don't know what they eat what they left in their stomach and what they are consist of.

• Yes I can change my mind in a way that maybe I'm in a challenge and I'm blind folded so they put in my plate a dead bug without knowing what it is and I eat it and i found that it taste delicious when I open my eye I will know that it's a bug and I will eat it again!

• I know that many countries deal with insects, but personally I don't like that, but I prefer collecting and analyzing them.
    Why don't I prefer eating insects???? I find it disgusting rather than that some insects may be poisonous and dangerous and may affect the long term.
    In addition, do you know what insects eat??? It eats waste and dead animals and lives on excrement.
    Although insects contain proteins and may help reduce starvation and others, I do not prefer eating them in their original form. Perhaps it is better to change their shape as mentioned in the video and make them in the form of pasta or a mixture with chocolate, as long as the smell does not differ from it, so perhaps I can accept the matter.
    And in the event that I was narrowed in one of the nomads and ran out of supplies, I might resort to eating insects to survive (as happens in the desert and prairie)

• Human and his innate nature
    He may eat anything he sees in case he feels hungry and knows that he is unable to find food.
    From my side, I do not eat critters and creepy-crawlies or any insects like them for a very simple reason, that I am fifteen years old, I live with my family, I eat what they eat, and these kinds of foods never entered our home. And I haven't had a chance to taste it, but in case I get a chance to taste it I won't object, I like to try new things and since it's harmless I won't have any problem.

• As far as eating insects are concerned it does have some negatives . Though it might be a solution to solve the hunger, it does have some conflicts.

Infact I come from a country where eating beef itself is seen as doing a crime since we worship them..... but beef is considered as a dietary meal in some countries. Like this there are still countries like us who cannot adopt to new eating habits like eating Orthoptera eventhough they we some countries have already started eating them.

Speaking of the negatives, if insects are consumed there are high chances of getting disease..... as these insects have various kinds of pathogens in them and they also cannot be cleaned like others meats. Due to their small size they cannot be cleaned individually and hence they are eaten as a whole.

What we eat must be 100% safe and edible. Having risk factors in consuming anything is not a good sign for the humans. Since the world is not ready for another pandemic

1. Thanks for your comment caring_banana. We don't know if there is a high chance of getting disease from insects for sure. If you knew if there were health and safety food standards applied to insect eating would this influence your thinking?

• I believe that eating bugs is a good thing due to the fact that they are good for us such as minerals and vitamins - like vitamin A. Another good thing about eating bugs and small beasts is that there are a lot of them and they are easy to farm compared to animals, like cows and pigs. Also, growing bugs will have a lower carbon footprint that will be great to fight against climate change. So in my opinion, eating bugs can fight world hunger and contribute to fighting climate change, and if all farmers farm bugs it will force a positive impact on climate change and food hunger.

• I think its healthy to eat bugs because their are fulled with protein.

• Normally I would have eaten the bugs if they looked more attractive to eat or even packaged. But eating bugs without cooking or frying is not very nice according to my research in my community. I have also tried eating it because I wanted to try something new. And there was nothing good about it to me. The only thing that can convince me to eat bugs is if the bugs are packaged in a way I wouldn't know it is a bug. What I learnt from the video is that bugs especially termites are good sources of protein and we need it to complete our balance diet and I also learnt that buys are easier to farm than large animals.

1. What about the nutrititional value and sustainability of bugs as a source of protein?

1. Yes bugs do have nutritional value, they are proteinaceous in nature, they also contain zinc, calcium, magnesium, and iron. There so many things about insects that we do not know, insects provide us with complete protein that's similar quality to meat. They are also environmentally friendly, they require less resources than plants and they are even able to convert organic food waste into protein. If I boil or fry a bug it's nutritional value will still be the same as eating it raw.

• I don't think we should be eating bugs because they could be carrying diseases and that would not be a good thing in our bodies . Also if we do some how use all of the bugs and eat them it won't be very good for our planet because bugs play a big important role here on earth!

1. The bugs would be cooked and prepared so they wouldn't make you ill and they would be farmed, not taken from the wild. Does this affect your opinion?

• I think it’s ok to have different opinions but eating bugs is disgusting. Restaurants like McDonald’s, dunkin donuts and others throw away millions upon millions of food even though we can give it to people who eat bug curries. This has been going on for a very long time but we can change this! Some bugs may be healthy to eat but most can be venomous, poisonous and just bad in general. It can start many many many diseases, it can spread around the world and start a new virus which I think no one would really want to get. I get they are easy to hunt but it will cause viruses no one wants that!

1. This would be extremely unlikely. The bugs would be prepared in line with food rules to make them safe to eat.

• I heard about this idea a couple of years ago and watched some videos about culture and the insect industry. At the time, for me, this idea was less attractive because I had no idea of ​​the state of hunger and famine in the world. Now in this forum I have been briefed on the current situation of the food crisis. I came across the fact that we are already used to eating bugs in bread, lentils and various cereals. In fact, nature knows very well that they are a good source of protein, so their nutritional value is equal to grains and lentils. Now the idea of ​​eating insects is less revolting to me. And people who are diet conscious will love this idea very much because the bugs are almost fat free. Insects are also used in medicines and nutritional supplements that we consume on a daily basis. Personally, if I were to have food in my plate, I wouldn't be likely to go for that selection, i.e. eating bugs etc. But after participating in this festival, I learned the value of all the food industries and the reasons for their creation. I don't mind eating bugs if i already consume them with wheat bread and lentil rice, i would prefer the less attractive options you need for hours of food crunch. I'll go for the stay option. Eating values ​​come from ethnicities, social and religious backgrounds that can be compromised when humanity needs to survive in the aftermath of an alarming situation for the survival of the human race.

• No, I would not eat bugs. I understand bugs are good for you and are made with a lot of protein but I would not eat a bug even if it was for a million dollars. Many people prefer eating insects because of its many and important benefits for the human body, such as its richness in healthy protein, and the lack of fat in it. Most people only eat bugs because of their culture. All bugs are either nasty or good to eat but they all have their benefits.

• Personally, I would not eat certain kinds of bugs, but I am open to trying new things. There are various bugs that contain a large amount of protein, but are not appetizing. For example, mealworms. According to what I read online, mealworms contain a lot of omega- 3 fatty acids, proteins and vitamins. They can be eaten raw, or cooked. I would not eat them raw, but I might try mealworms if they are blended up into a smoothie. I also have the same opinion for other bugs.

1. Great points jazzed_strawberry!

• Bugs burger and critter curries.... delicious. Ew!! For me though I find that eating bugs are disgusting, but it's also a great idea to start eating bugs they have a lot of nutrients and protein just like food we eat, you can properly cook them and eat them in a lot of different ways but you'll have to wash them them properly. I also heard that they have vitamins that help with skin and hair and it also increases human intelligence. Although I find eating bugs revolting I do admit that bugs have their advantages.

• I would not eat bugs unless I have to because they are my last option. First I wouldn't eat bugs because I think they are disgusting. Second I wouldn't eat or support the idea of eating bugs because we could cause many bugs to go extinct because of the higher amount we need to eat for the right amount of nutrients compared to plants, animals, and alternative foods that available now, but we can cause other animals to go extinct.

1. You make a great point about it causing other animals to become extinct. Bugs are an important part of the ecosystem. What effect do you think humans eating bugs would have on this?

1. Thank you for reading and replying to my comment, I think that humans depending on bugs for food could cause them to become endangered and possibly extinct. I think this because of the higher amount someone would have to eat daily for the right amount of nutrition you need to survive but, there are some bugs that don't have this problem which remove the problem of having to eat an excess amount of bugs. I think that us eating bugs and eventually could cause a possibly bigger problem to the environment but, i'm not completely sure so and feed back on this response you have I will gladly read and understand.

• I don't find bugs appetizing at l, but I've already known that there are bugs in modern american food, even burgers. And I find burgers are delicious.

• In my opinion I wouldn't like to eat insects as I have tasted them before and they are horrible.The only thing that would make me eat insects is if people put them in food that blocked out the taste of them and making them into pasta and things like that.

• think that eating bugs has both advantages and disadvantages, the main advantage is that there's lots of them and they're easy to farm making them a reliable food source but as many people are vegetarian or vegan it means it would not feed everyone, another advantage is that they're high in protein this means that although in my opinion being slightly disgusting, they are good for us. I am aware that bugs are good for us but scuttling around in the dirt, flies contain viruses are they hygienic? Even though bugs are already eaten today personally I don't think they're the next step in human consumption as eventually they might run out and adding more species to the endangered list isn't the way to go. Another reason I don't think eating bugs is the next step is because taking them out of the wild and putting them on our plates may destroy the food chain and without eating things like cows and sheep in a couple of decades there may be too many to handle. In conclusion, I think that although eating bugs have many advantages the downsides out way them.

• Personally I am aware that people eat bugs, but personally I don't think I can eat bugs because there isn't much information about them out there for me. They are eaten I know but I don't just feel okay eating insects. Yes actually I could be convinced to eat insects depends on the taste actually and the disadvantage and advantages of them actually. Yes what stood out to me was the fact that they have a high protein rate, yes I was previously aware of that but insects are part of what save the world, I mean we already have so much endangered species, I don't think adding insects is the way to go.

• As we all know that nowadays, almost every developing country is facing food crisis. In this situation if eating bugs and insects can overcome the food crisis then I think it is a really good idea. But eating bugs also depends on the food culture and religious perspective of every country. According to the report of World Health and Food Authority, in upcoming decades eating bugs and different insects could decrease the risk of food crisis. It would be really helpful for those countries which are already eating bugs curries and different recipes made with bugs but it may cause problem for those countries where the cultural and religious values don't allow them to consume bugs as food. In my opinion as if I would ever eat bugs then I will say that "No" because my culture is totally different in terms of food and religious values. But somehow if ever in the future I would have to eat them, then it will totally depend on how serious the situation is. But in general term I highly appreciate the idea of eating bugs to overcome the food crisis in the world because it has so many benefits for those who consume them as well as for the economy of these countries.

• I wouldn’t eat bugs because it would be discussing.I don’t like how other people have to eat them.

I don’t think it is very nice.