Do you have to see it, to be it?

BillieJean-Banner

Billie Jean King is regarded as one of the greatest tennis players of all time. She is a women’s activist and a pioneer of equality and social justice. When talking about what inspired her most, Billie Jean King said:

I think you have to see it to be it. Althea Gibson was the first woman of colour to ever win a major. I got to see her as a 13-year-old and she changed my world because I knew what it looked like to be number one. She inspired me more than ever.

Billie Jean King

Comments (122)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I think Billie Jean King means you have to know and see what you want to be or what you want to do in life to be able to do what you want to do. Yes, i do agree with that statement because you can't be something if you don't know what you want to do with your life. I would like to inspire people to be themselves and follow their dreams also, the right path.

1. I agree with you. However, I think we also need to consider that not everyone has the same opportunities so it is not always easy for people to see it this way. For people to see it we also need to be responsible for giving more opportunities to people so that they can see it.

2. You've made some good points here entrepreneurial_swan! Can you explain HOW would you inspire people to follow their dreams?

3. I disagree because not every body who knowns what they want to do actually becomes what they want to be. Some people may know what they want to be but they dont have passion for it, inother for you to be anything in life you have to have a passion for it you have to love it and you have to be able to work hard for it. It is not just about you knowing what you want to do with yor life it is the passion and work that you put into it. So i would encourage those that know what they want to do with their life to put a lot of effort inother to make your dreams come true.

• In my opinion, I think Billie Jean King means that, if you notice someone making a difference in the world or being an inspiration to you , you could be that inspiration towards other people , for when you are very passionate about something you would probably want to be or do it , so this statement to me , is all about determination and self love , as these two things are very important for you to have. Today, you see people being interviewed since they have shared their thoughts and ideas , if you believe in yourself, you could be the one being questioned. For I have said this , I definitely agree with what has been said , because I always tell myself, that, in the word impossible , it really means I am possible , so I can always achieve anything I need to. Although I have been inspired by many kind words, I have been really touched by a book that I had read , which was about people , who had made a massive change to the world ( in a good way). However, when I was on my past page , it said.. "Keep your face always towards the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you."

• 1 What does Billie Jean King mean by *you've got to see it to be that* Do you agree?
    I definitely agree with this opinion, but this phrase means a lot to me because I have to be in the top ranks, i.e. first in everything, whether in school or work or anything else, and I will certainly be like Billie Jean King in particular.
    2 Can you give an example of a time when you were inspired to do something?
    Certainly that time in which I participated in a great competition that was at the national level and won the third place, but no despair, I will keep hope in front of my eyes because hope is an important thing for me and for you as well. is not it?
    3 What would you like to inspire someone else to do?
    I would like to inspire someone to do good, because next time he will find good in front of him and no doubt I will inspire someone not to waste time because time is an important thing as water is an important thing as was said in the popular saying
    (Time is like sword if you do not cut it, it will cut you).
    (Time is the mainstay of success).

• Can you give an example of a time you have been inspired to do something?
    Yes one day my whole family was not at home I am alone at home I watch t.v at home after a few minute I Saw a girl outside my house she was finding food in rubbish because she was so hungry so I open the door and gave her food and some money and also Gave her some clothes for wear so that was time that I have been inspired that I helped anyone because I feel happy when I help anyone

1. I really appreciate your kindness of helping someone. Please keep doing it and I am sure it would make you and the receiver happier. Apart from helping your neighbourhood, is there anything you can help in a community level?

1. yes i can help in my community by following
        1. By making a campaign for needy people where we could help needy people financially
        For example : In school level we can make a club in which we can help the students by providing uniform and other requirement which they need for school or giving them money to fulfill thier other daily life requirement
        2. the second thing which i could do is to aware people that helping not help the people but also gives pleasure to us

• In my opinion Billie Jean means courage of the Convictions.You practise what You take right let the world know what you are.There was a time when i was inspired to be the pioneer in my area for the poor people for creating "Wall of kindness".Where people used to put there discarded or extra things eg clothes,shoes ,eatbles

1. This sounds like a very thoughtful initiative splendid_potato. What did you do to become the pioneer? Who inspired you?

• Of course I agree with Billy, and I think Billie Jean King "must see" means one has to learn from her path, look at her life path, set a goal and not lose hope. I'm sure Althea Gibson has always been enthusiastic and positive. And do not lose hope and confidence and also adhere to the principles and goals...

• What would you like to inspire someone else to do? I am a student and I went through many competitions between students and it was a beautiful time and I think I will inspire someone else to succeed, achieve goals and stick to principles

• 1_ I think it means knowing what you want to be or what you want to do in your life so that you can do what you want to do and insist on what you want to do and put hope and optimism and make sure that we can do what we want .. I agree with it strongly because if we did not know what we like Or what do we want to know what we will become in the future? No one will come and discover our talents. A person must know what he wants to do in the future, and that it is impossible to reach something since you do not know what you want.
    2_ Yes, I was inspired by hope in the mathematics competition when I was 10 years old. I was then in the fourth grade when I worked in the schools of the sector in Gaza, a competition between schools. I succeeded in 5 competitions, but I lost in the latter. I was not much less than them, but by two or three marks, but it is okay that I did not focus on my loss in The last stage, but I focused on my five successes at a young age
    You do not know how much hope and optimism I received after this competition and that I can succeed, because hope is an important thing in our lives without it, life is like a body without a soul
    3_ I would like to inspire certain people to instill hope in their hearts and to have confidence in themselves that they can do whatever they want without fear or anxiety but they should work a little harder on themselves to get what they want and I am sure they will work hard and discover creative things
    I wish them and you good luck
    Bye

• I think Billie Jean King means that in order to become an inspiration one must imagine the imprints of success in first place by observing someone who sets and achieve the goals.
    Yes i completely agreed with the statement.
    Being a part of male dominant society i used to think that men are always better manager and administrator. I always been interested in leadership. I have inspired by my school leader and got the opportunity to become class leader and then school leader and felt that leadership capabilities have no gender.
    I would like to inspire my junior girls fellows that leadership is just God giftedness. If you have it then you are choosen to lead. In future i would like my daughter to born with the mindset of see herself as what she wish she could be not for what others think she would be.

1. I really like your interpretation of 'seeing it'. Many great leaders use visualisation to help them achieve their goals. I am also so pleased to see you have been on your own journey in leadership. What will you do to inspire your junior girl fellows to develop their own leadership capabilities?

2. I loved your way of writing. I used examples of things that happened with you beautifully and affected my opinion. But what do you mean by observing someone who sets goals and achieves them? Isn't it better to read about a successful person in his life?

• Yes, I do agree with Billie. She isn't wrong. In a world filled with teenagers that have their faces glued to their screens all day, waiting for the next Hollywood one-hit wonder to pop up, it is important to note how this affects them especially when all they want to do is be like their favourite icons. Nevertheless, seeing the people who inspire us the most can be quite the energy booster. I always wanted to be a small representation of Alice Walker so I think feeding the eyes would encourage anyone else to go for their dreams.

• I agree with her statement and what I understand is that when I see it and I understand better and interpret it correctly, regardless of what it may have looked or the way it may have been explained by others. When I was much younger I looked up to my mum because she inspired me a lot always full of energy and enthusiasm and was completely dedicated to being a doctor. Caring for her patients were priority no matter how tired she was she always tried her best and this ignited the passion in me and stirred me to wanting to become a doctor so that I can take care of her when she grows older. To inspire someone is not easy but I would want to inspire an individual to come out of their shell and face their fear of body insecurity making them confident enough to walk with others and not feel ashamed of themselves.

1. Your mum does sound very inspirational curious_contribution. You say that it is not easy to inspire someone. What would you do to start / continue inspiring others?

• 1. I agree with Billie Jean when she said "you have to see it to be it". You have to make out a well detailed plan for your future. If you dont see where the golden crown is in your life, youll be rendered as scalar because it only has magnitude no direction. You have to have a perspective of where you want to be, what you want to be and what you want to be known for. You have to have a role model who will guide you in the path you want to follow be it in person or your following the person online as far as you get something reasonable from the words. Billie didnt just wake up one day and said she wants to play tennis without even practicing and learning the skills required for it. She saw herself being a great person one day and decided to put in her best in what she knows. you have to think out of the box to succeed.

• I think Billie Jean King means like you actually have to be there to experience what it would feels like to win something and then be inspired to work for more and more wins. And I do agree with her because for example let me say that I am inspired to play football and my role model is Lionel Messi when you see him dribble through the other players on the pitch and score a goal you also get motivated to train and work harder not only to be as good as him but to be even better than he ever was.

I would like to inspire someone on the way I handle situations, act and how I never give up when I set my mind on a goal to achieve.

• Personally, I do not think that you necessarily have to see it to be it. Take for instance, a kid who lives in a rural area, whose family may not be educated, may decide that he/she wants his/her life to be different. Having made such a decision,he/she will be determined to make a difference, to set an example, to be the change in his her family and get an education. Having the drive to be at the top, he or she may grow to be the best in whatever he or she does. With the goals I have set, I hope to inspire people that though we are not perfect and may fall at certain instances during our journey on earth, we should never forget to get up and keep moving, to be determined.

1. Great points made here resourceful_tomato. There will always be someone who is the first to do something. What do you think of the other points made in this discussion? Some have put forward a different interpretation of "seeing it" that focuses more on being able to visualise where you want to get in life, whether that is personally, educationally, professionally?

1. Having this in mind, I agree that people have to first make choices, set goals and envisage what or where they want to be before they can work towards attaining such goals or standards. Setting goals helps us plan for our futures and gives us the determination and will to keep going in order to achieve such aims.

1. That's a really great growth mindset resourceful_tomato.

2. I agree because I see what you mean resourceful_tomato. I’d like to add that these are the people who deserve all our appreciation, as they have to work 10 times harder than other people. On the other hand, I think that what Billie Jean King meant was that we shouldn’t underestimate the power of role models. I assume what made her put a lot of effort was the conviction that she could win. If a person from a racial minority won, despite all the obstacles that minorities were facing at that time, then there was no excuse for her not to do her best. So role models play an important part in our lives, because they show us that success is possible and help us overcome self-doubt.
      Also, role models help us learn because maybe the environment where we grow up does not help us learn much. We talked about intelligence in class and how that may not be something we are born with but something that is developed and that’s why our environment is so important and so are the people we look up to.

• Yes I agree with Billie Jean King ‘’you have to see it to be it’’because.I got inspired to do something too.I got inspired to do soccer because my dad plays soccer and teaches me to play the sport.I like too inspired my lit brothers to workout hay dot like to workout because he's said it to had to do.So yas i agree with Billie Jean King ‘’you have to see it to be it’’.

1. I like the way you have described passing on what you learn from your Dad to your siblings!

Do you see diversity in professional sports stars and does this help inspire people from different backgrounds, genders, race etc?

1. Thank you for reading my comments and yes I would read spod to your qashen.Yas i can see diversity in made sports.diversity can show people that deforestation people can work to get.different backgrounds, genders, race drow not made.That is mad respect to your qashen and thank you for reading my comments.

• I think Billie Jean King means that we need to see those people who inspire us so that we get to push our dreams the hardest forexample i got the best experience in life when i saw my role model the first time, i was always watching her from a far and that is on our television screen.It was that early morning when our school informed us about the meeting we were going to have in the parliament and this was to be shared by the speaker of parliament, honourable Alitwala Rebecca Kadaga. i remember that day very, i made sure that my school uniform is very clean,ironed,polished my shoes. Trust me i was very smart that day, when we reached the building, my heart skipped at first because i couldnot beleive it. When she arrived in the same building with me, it was another shock for me.Her speech is one thing i will never forget till now, it motivates me that i will one day be a leader with charisma like her. THE NEXT SPEAKER OF PARLIAMENT,I now believe it after seeing her

1. What an amazing experience jazzed_fact. What are you now doing to set you on your path to be the next speaker of parliament?

• Yes, I agree with Billie Jean King's statement " you have to see it to be it" it means that you get inspired by your role model, a person you want to become in the future you imagine yourself at that stage of life, and after working so hard you achieve your goals. Your life would be meaningless if you don't know what you want to gain in life. Your inspiration can be a person or a subject like mine is computers, I want to become a software engineer because I'm inspired by today's technology and I also wanna play a part in the future development of this field.

1. Lovely ideas delightful_road. Imagine now you are your future self as a software engineer - how would you inspire others to follow in your footsteps?

1. as my future self as a software engineer, I would like to inspire others but for becoming a software engineer you must have thorough and mathematical thinking to solve problems specified in coding or any other cause when you are designing or programming something you also face a few problems . people give up early and just leave their dreams unfulfilled. Focus on what they did wrong cause they think they're not good at it. You must work hard and be determined to achieve success.

2. Hi @delightful_road - great comments. Do you have any software engineers in particular that inspire you and why?

1. Yes, my uncle his hard work and determination towards his work inspires me the most to achieve my dreams and to become the person I want to be in the future.

1. Wow, what a great role model he must be! I wish you all the success in your journey to becoming a software engineer.

• What would you like to inspire someone else to do for me? I will inspire others to have a measure of hope, optimism and positive energy. Hope is the most important and influential emotional and human need in practical experience and the constant pursuit of achievement and progress.

1. I agree it is definitely important to have hope, optimism and positive energy, agreeable_dusk. HOW would you inspire others to have these things?

1. I agree with you that hope is an important thing in life. For example, a person has a dream and wants to achieve it. He stopped realizing his dream because some obstacles occurred in its path. So he should not despair of that. There is an emotion that is no less important, such as self-confidence. If you want to reach your goal, that is, your dream, for example: You dream of having your own business, you must believe in yourself and your abilities!

• “you have to see it to be it”
    I certainly agree with Billie that you have to see it to be it because in most cases, people need a push from a person they respect and think has achieved no matter the odds for example a struggling artist who has lost hope might watch an interview on YouTube about a famous artist who narrates his struggles to reach where he is right now, after listening to such a story this struggling artist would get motivated and inspired to work even harder so as to succeed like the other one. This way, this artist had to see it, to be what it takes to achieve it.
    Inspired to do something?
    Personally, I was inspired by Robert Kyagulanyi (bobi wine) a politician and activist in my country Uganda. He started as a struggling singer but found himself contesting for the presidency of my country and surprisingly in the last election, he took second place. His courage to stand for what's right in an unsafe country. Despite the odds and threats he managed to remain true to his cause of trying to change the leadership of Uganda. On the other hand, from a struggling singer to a rich, famous and loved artist and at this level, I could say he had gotten success. All this inspired me to fight for my future and i have also become the Head boy at school in order to fight for my and other students rights just like the heart of (bobi)fighting for Ugandans. Just like the way i was inspired to take part in school politics, I would like to inspire other people to do the same and come up to stand for their rights and fight for their future hopefully.

• If you know what definately you know and wherever to get it,you will get the the point . You have to realize your aims and what ways to achieve them.Some people insire us through their good behaviors and we immitate them as well.We influensed and inspired of them the most.
    I like to be an inspirable character to others through my brilliant drawings I made in the school gallary, I usuasly try to draw topics related to social justice and how to spread the culture of accepting the others, all teachers once told me,"you will be different and a great person".And I hope so.

1. Wow! Well done on your drawings relating to social justice, this is definitely an important topic. Can you describe what or who inspired you to create these drawings?

• "I think you have to see it to be it." This phrase carries with it many meanings, if you want to become an example for people to follow, you must see yourself while you are in this place. You don't know anything about him, no matter what others say, whether it's motivation or frustration, you must see yourself in the place you want, are you good for it?? Will you benefit yourself and benefit others?

When I was young, my mother always motivates me to read and does everything I ask to excel in my studies, but I was neglectful, I did not care much about studying, despite my high intelligence and superiority, so I got fourth place in the first year and then my mother grieved a lot and But she did not say, but I felt that, but in the second year, my mother would not return from her motivation, and I realized that I had to keep my lessons, and take advantage of my intelligence and my superiority in studies, until I achieve my mother's dream and mine, and indeed I have obtained First place in the study (the meaning is not only study, but persistence desire and inspiration )

I would like to inspire other people, especially the poor, not to give up on their dreams, no matter how difficult they are, because it will be their way to achieve what they wish for, and that everything does not come with complacency and dream only, but comes with determination, feet and determination, as the poet Ahmed Shawqy says: "And what was impossible for dreams people.... As their determination was their means of transportation "

1. you have expressed your thoughts so beautifully. And the quote you have mentioned "Determination is a means of transportation ' truly is an inspirational one

• I agree with her opinion because she motivates others to succeed, which is good, and her phrase carries a lot of meanings to motivate and encourage the arrival of peaks and brilliant successes in life, despite any circumstances.
    In my daily life, especially school holidays, I see myself having a lot of free time, so I work to fill it in any form, for example, I review and attend my lessons, learn new things, read and memorize the Holy Qur’an, also my love for science and technology inspires me for many experiences that I do at this time Such as industrial exploration, scientific research, inquiries and chemical experiments
    (Don't be afraid of great obstacles, for behind them lie great opportunities)
    I want to inspire the world to seize the available opportunities and invest them in what is best for the benefit of the person. These opportunities inspire me to take firm decisions that constitute my strength and success, and not to be afraid of any penalties facing these opportunities.

1. Do you think there is enough representation of Muslim women in film, literature, sport etc?

• What does Billie Jean King mean by "you have to see it to be that"? do you agree? My answer is, of course, I will agree, because perhaps she means that we must learn from Althea Gibson and take her as an example that she chose what makes her happy and what she can do and become a person of great achievements and a source of inspiration to those around him.

1. Good ideas majestic_boysenberry. Can you describe a time where someone inspired you to do something?

1. Yes, that happened last year during a period when I was lacking in passion, so I watched a movie and saw the hero in it, how he was and how he became with his determination and determination and how he achieved a brilliant future

• I think Billie Jean King means that when you see someone who may be diverse to you doing something, it can influence you to do something too. I think it helps for this to happen because it does influence you, but at the start, the one person who was diverse could not look up to someone to influence them because they were the first person. So, I do not think it is necessary for this to happen, we should all be diverse anyway.
    I myself have been inspired to do things. In the previous year of Topical Talk, I wrote that my dream job was to be an architect. Zaha Hadid, a famous female architect inspired me to continue in doing this.
    I think I could inspire others, because I don't give up at the hardest times which think is important. Also, I am ableto be kind to others.

1. Why is it important for you to see female role models?

2. I like what aspects you brang to this comment, especially when you said that someone can influence others. Could you elaborate on what qualities you learned to acquire from Zaha Hadid or how your perspective or views have changed from Zaha Hadid?

• I think she didn't mean "you should see" to see the person or thing I want to be, but rather to make him an example for you to walk her own path, even if you don't see her, you may have heard of her.
    * At one point watching a YouTube influencer touched more than words from those around me, it gave me positive energy and told me I could do anything I wanted.
    * If I could inspire you, it would be love to experiment and to try. They are the path to all success.

• How did I become inspired? One day I was listening to my teacher very cleverly as she relates to us the story of someone who invented a thermostat, and this man was John Alby Spencer. He was working as a night watchman in a carpentry workshop when the original idea on which the thermostat was built came to him by chance and many questions. Curiosity was able to create the first thermostat for it and from that day on I was sure that I would become something great and that's how I took my inspiration from the story of John Alby Spencer that we should not lose sight of the simplest things. (Who would have expected that a person who worked as a night uniformed guard in a woodworking machine shop would become a great person?).

1. I like your comment very much. It is possible that anyone has done a good job by inventing and discovering something new that no one knew before him.

• You need to see people who have taken this path (which you are afraid to risk) and succeeded, I agree with her because I also want to become an ambassador, but because it is somewhat difficult, I have searched a lot for people who have done it and watched many success stories, until I became convinced that this dream would become a reality if I worked hard like them.

• I would like to inspire many teenagers to find their passion, and not wait until they reach the age of eighteen to decide that the person they represent now is the person that they will be at the age of eighteen,But if they develop their passion and turn it into a goal, not just a dream, they will reach and succeed

• Billie Jean King said, "You have to see her to be." Do you agree؟؟

, of course, I agree, because she urges us to get what we want, and she's one of the most effective women in society, because she motivates them to get what they want. For the Parliament Committee, most of the class chose me because I am able to take charge of the class, and I promised them and promised myself that I would not disappoint the trust between us.

• Inspiration and motivation are what we get from having a mentor, role model, or exemplar. We have these kinds of people to look up to because they influence us in our actions and beliefs. We feel that they are the yardsticks by which we are able to measure up. Having a person serve as a figurehead to us really encourages us to put in our best efforts in order to meet up to the expectation of someday, being like that person we really admire. I feel that having the ideal person serve as an inspiration is important for us to see our dreams reflect in that person. The beauty of inspiration is that it can come from anyone or anywhere. I find that with role models or mentors, we see our future selves.

• To see it to be it has both sides. I agree and disagree. I agree that role models are essential in motivating us to do our best in the expectation that we can one day meet up with or even exceed their accomplishments. But what about if we choose to achieve our own dreams by our own capabilities and potential and not just because someone else did something we admire? That too is also possible. It all matters that you have a dream or goal and you are willing to put in your best to see it happen. A model is admired for something commendable they have done, so why not we all become role models? We all can do something with our own proficiency and competence even when we do not seek to imitate the attribute of someone else.

• I think he means in this sentence that you have to see it in order to be that, you must see what inspires you to be yourself and your personality and there is one of my teachers who inspired me to smile in everyone's face and spread happiness in the hearts of those around me, and now I feel this achievement is showing in everyone around me, They have turned to me to give them a dose of happiness and I want to inspire people to be loving people and to show love to each other.

• To draw a goal in front of you to achieve your dream is not easy
    And if you plan to get what you want, the beginning of the steps of success, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
    I completely agree with the one who sets the path for himself and I encourage the one who makes himself number one in the field in which he strives, so look at your goal with a mirror of optimism and go on the path of thorns to reach the roses

• 1_ I think that Billie Jean was saying that we should see influencers and successful people and be influenced by them, to take from them our habits and ways of life, to emulate them and become like them.
    2_Of course I can give an example: When our school qualified for the global conversation competition with you and our school ranked first in the world last year, it was one of the happiest times and we were very proud of this position.
    3_ I would like to inspire someone to move forward, and I would like to say that the first ax strike on the ground is not an achievement, and that the first line in a book is not success, and what you do first is not a measure of your progress،Succeed and succeed and succeed and continue and do not stop at the first achievement and always be the best

• I think it means your goals and ambitions. You should always see them in front of you until you reach them and persevere to reach them. You will be nothing without setting your goals and dreams, setting the plan and starting implementation. I strongly agree with it because in the years of school dropout due to Covid 19, we did not receive the study well and almost non-existent and in light of Also, the electricity crisis in the sector is very difficult. Studying is very difficult, so I used to stand in front of the mirror and discuss with myself and explain to myself, so I was the little teacher, haha, for myself, so I was always one of the top performers, and my dream was to become a dentist, and there would be no difficulties in front of me. Favorable environment and atmosphere and acclimatization until you arrive

• I think Billie Jean King means that to become something you have to first see it for example before you become an environmentalist you have to first see that the activities that are being carried out in your community are degrading the environment after seeing this you will be able to became an environmentalist so the meaning out of this is you have to first see something to became it. In another perspective to be become successful you have to see the potential in your self for example to became a doctor you have to first realis that you have the potential so if you don't see or realize that you have the potential for becoming a doctor you won't be able to pursue it so in short term "you have to see it to be it". For me the time when i got inspired is when we had brass band training at school and the trainer could not give much attention to me yet i could go there every time there is training and at some point i felt like leaving the band but when we had a function there was a man who came to help on our band and he was playing a truppet like me so i had a conversation with him and after this conversation i got encouraged and after the next two training session i got the attention of the trainer and now i can really play this instrument. me too i would really like to inspire some to play musical instruments cause music is really good and profitable so they could also enjoy the passion of music.

1. It's great that you didn't give up the trumpet when you were feeling discouraged @victorious_goat. Thank you for sharing your story of a person who inspired you to persevere. Why do you think role models are so important? What other situations could this apply to apart from music and education?

2. I agree because... INDEED, seeing it may inspire the true being in you and you end up finding your true purpose and goals are in life and

3. I disagree because some people work based on their dreams and analysis and what they are told to do not because they see it rather because the society has made it look good and at the same time is killing their initiatives and passion.

4. Thank you, I was a bit confused when I saw the topic but not anymore. Most people in the world see before they become because you may have passion for something but you will have to see what people in that particular job do , this is why we have new evolvement and innovations because every one has his or her own perspective in life and when you see what people in that job do, there might be somethings that you may not like , with the education you have gotten you can change that things doing your time and people get to learn from you too

• What does Billie Jean King mean by “you have to see it to be it”? Do you agree?

Another understanding for "you have to see it to be it” is when someone grabs your attention by doing something they might inspire you to be what they are. Indeed i agree to the phrase “you have to see it to be it”.

• "You have to see it to be so.” I think she inspires us by seeing the diversity of the present, not only in soap operas and movies, but in fact, you must see who your real hero is in the dream, whether it is a human, a machine or even a book, you must define your goal The first is so that you can reach it and become one

The real person who inspired me is the scientist Marie Curie, who won two Nobel Prizes in Chemistry and Physics, although no one encouraged her.

I will motivate women who love to act and want, but do not have the ability, and I will encourage them to insist on their dream and not lose sight of hope and see themselves as successful actresses in the future, so that they can realize their dream of acting.

• I think the statement means that if you want to be like someone you have to observe them closely and investigate their attributes only then you can become like them.
    The person who deeply inspired me is "Jahan Sikandar" he is fictional character of a very famous Pakistani novel .I know he doesn't exist in the real world but he is intelligent , analytical and calculating person .
    He is a true patriot and never had betrayed anyone even though he was a secret agent .
    I want to be female pilot and inspire all the Pakistani girls to never feel that they are left behind men and if they are determined to do something they can achieve anything it's about determination.

• "You have to see it to be it" says Billie Jean King. I agree with her because seeing something can actually create a huge impact. But remember, you don't necessarily have to see it with your own human eyes, but can see through the eyes of your heart. What Billie meant was that you have to learn and understand the one who inspires you so you could get on the stair case of success as they did. See and learn about them by your heart.

I have been deeply inspired by Yunus Emre, a spiritual mystic. His poetry has a great impact on my spiritual life. The topics he chose were love, wisdom and peace. "The City of Heart" is his book that takes you on a mystical journey that enhance your moral and spiritual positivity. His words gave me an inspiration to spread love, diminish hate and simply become a positive output for the world. I got a chance to wake up from heedlessness and do something that may intensify spirituality.

You can't inspire someone by yourself forcibly. Your behaviours and character speaks a lot. I would always have the narrative and behaviour of love and tranquility that may inspire someone who has the thirst of peace.

• the statement that Billie said was very deep in meaning in my opinion it means that every person has some kind of inspiration in their lives to be like your inspiration the first step is to study the journey of their life and how they achieved the thing that you adore .
    Hellen Keller is the one who inspires me the most . When i first learned about her in my English textbook , i was amazed by how she managed to do the things that even fully healthy people can do . She was a lecturer and a great communicator . she didn't only inspired me but she is also an inspiration for my friends too . my uncle is deaf and observing his struggles in daily life i always think that she was deaf and blind but above all that she was nature lover she felt the textures of trees and flowers and felt the changing of seasons .I also adore nature .she proved that to be an observer you don't need eyes or ears.
    i want to be an inspiration too i want to teach yes, i love to communicate and in my coming holidays i am planning to tution the children free computer courses by making these small changes we can create a larger change . I want tell the world that never stop learning.

• To achieve goals in life we have to inspire from someone .
    as a student i have also my goal ,I really want to become a motivational speaker in order to motivate people as i also need motivation in my life.
    the one from which I have been motivated and inspired is "Muniba Mazari"
    she is a great motivational speaker.
    i really like that thing when she got accident she didn't loss hope rather she devote her life for herself and to motivate others .
    she is really an ideal for me that she even can't walk and paint very well but she didn't loose hope
    one of her lines that inspire me so much is ,
    " DON'T DIE BEFORE DEATH"
    she try to motivate her audience that failure is not the end but it is the beginning of new era , and i also think that the people who failed usually lose hope but the thing to understand is that " failure makes the man perfect" because from failure you could learn your mistakes
    Muniba Mazari also says that ,
    " PRAY FOR THOSE WHO SEE THEIR FAILURE IN YOUR SUCCESS "
    by summing up i would say that she is the light of hope .

• There are many foundations in different countries working for the welfare of people like Mother Teresa founded the Order of the missionaries of charity.It was delicated to the poor.
    In Pakistan, I am impressed by Abdul Sattar Edhi and Bilquis Edhi.
    Within four years they got three children and adopted another. In 1974 He registered the Abdul Sattar Edhi Trust and accustomed the Edhi Foundation. After a serious accident with his ambulance he protract his activities all over the country.
    After his death, his son Faisal Edhi took over as head of the Edhi Foundation.
    His wife Bilquis Edhi also runned her foundation.She was a Pakistani nurse who helped to save the lives of over 16,000 children.

What would you like to inspire someone else to do?

1) Set clear goals and strive to achieve them.
    2)Build up those around you.
    3)Be eager.
    4)Have integrity.

• Yes I agree that you have to see it to be it and i think what Billy Jean King means is that in order for one to do or become something you have to first see it and when you see it you will be inspired to be it which will give one the determination and spirit to work hard so that one can be it. When I was in primary top class i was inspired by miss world modeling competitions to become a model and i saw my self being it by then in my imaginations so i worked hard till I learnt something and also won like two competitions so far of modeling thou am not that perfect but atleast i saw it and i have tried my level best to become it. I would like to inspire someone else to follow their dreams cause i know each of us has ever seen themselves become what they want and since they have ever seen it with hard work and determination they will be it.

• I think it is important to see diversity in films because people are influenced by what they see. So when they see diversity being represented, they will start to think more carefully about it.
    Also, it is good, because the world is dirverse. People need to see the truth about what has happened through history in diverity. Everybody is different and we should be respected for this. But the truth is-not everybody treates others fairly. We all have prejudices that can influence us.

Films can make sure they do their representation right by giving both important and less important roles to different people. I mean, for example the heroes should be both Asian, European, African and American, in a balanced proportion. Also, people from different backgrounds should be given roles as lawyers, politicians, businessmen, scientists, so that young people understand they can become anything they want and that their background is not an obstacle.

• What does Billie Jean King mean by "you have to see it to be"? The phrase means you have to see your future and your dream and what it will be like to make it happen and be the person you dreamed of being a big thing in the future.Do you agree? Yes, I strongly agree with what she said.Can you give an example of a time when you were inspired to do something? I saw how people succeed and their dreams came true and it encouraged and inspired me to achieve my dream and it became a big thing in the future.What would you like to inspire someone else to do?
    I would like to inspire and encourage people who when they fail to do something to despair and say that we are impossible to succeed so you must fight and struggle and tire in order to realize your dreams that you were saying about it is impossible dreams to come true.

• What does Billie Jean King mean by “you have to see it to be it”? Do you agree?
    I comprehend this idiom in a manner of inspiration. According to me, She wants to convey, that to fulfill a dream, you have to or need to dream it. The representation of your expectations should be clear for you to fulfill, To be the person you dream of being.

1. Hi eloquent_nature,

Interesting interpretation!

In your opinion, how important is it to be able to see your dreams in order to achieve them?

• I have been inspired through the movie "Ánnie". Annie was a foster girl who stayed in an orphanage only for girls. They never knew who Santa Claus was because they couldnt get the opportunity to celebrate it since they were foster kids. There was a famous man who took her in because he found her personality pleasing and she changed him to be a happy person rather that being grumpy all the time. She is an inspiration because even when she tried and tried to find her parents she didnt give up and didnt become sad rather she strived. Even though she didnt get what she wanted she got something much better a father adopted her and loved her truly. She didnt allow the thought of being a foster girl change her happy, loving, caring and cheerful giving character to change.

1. You've drawn some great lessons from the movie successful_crow. What did the movie "Annie" inspire you to do? Did this inspiration result in any tangible actions?

• I was inspired by Funke Akindele a Nigerian actress who helps the needy, she inspired me to do something and that was to show love to orphans who where in need, I supported them in the little way I could, I donated clothes, little sanitaries and I also spent time with them playing, assisting them in places I could and having a nice conversation with them and I did it with love and affection in my heart. What also inspired me to help was because they lacked the love and support that parents show their children and I also wanted them to feel loved and know that they are not alone in this world.

• I do not agree with her opinion, people can draw inspiration from people who have passed through history and achieved achievements that changed the world, but he did not meet them, but we heard about their achievements, and other inspiring people in our societies, and we all try to surround ourselves with inspiring people, and stay away from people who exhaust our energy, for inspiring people are a treasure True because they find ways to strengthen us, and give us a model to follow...Here was my inspiration (Martin Luther King) a great person he had never met, who made a difference in his community by demanding an end to racial discrimination against blacks in 1964 and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, he is younger than He won it, he fought for freedom and human rights. I would like to inspire many to remain surrounded by people of different achievements so that the opportunities for inspiration are varied and varied, so that inspiration reaches all aspects.

• Can you give an example of a time when you were inspired to do something? Yes, that happened last year during a period when I felt that I was losing passion and surrendering to the future, so I watched a movie explaining a character whose dream was to become a doctor, and because she was in a poor family that did not allow her to study, and despite all that, she did not give up, but her motivation and determination made her a role model, and then I realized the value of To be a wonderful person with determination and challenge and I am now striving hard in my studies to achieve my dream.

• What would you like to inspire someone else to do? I would like to inspire all people to be diverse people, soft in dealing, to be a loving community and not to give in to despair no matter what happens.

• I believe Billie Jean King is meaning this statement metaphorically. I think her words are vital in remembering the key to success as when you really get to break down those words they mean you need to have a clear image of what you want to do and physically see yourself doing this. Hence, you can strive for your ambitions if you know the paths and actions needed to be taken.

A person that is an outstanding role model or inspiration to girls my age is Jk Rowling.
    Firstly, JK Rowling is at the peak of success as she has published the mind-blowing series of Harry Potter. This book appeals to all audiences therefore most people can really strive to write their own book sometime.

Secondly, JK Rowling has persevered through many hardships such as being rejected by more than ten publishing houses , yet she got back on her feet proving to the world she was going to become one of the greatest iconic authors of all time. And she did.

Lastly, JK Rowling is symbol of feminism. She is a divorced mother with three children yet she is still writing and attracting more fans than ever. This can encourage girls in my class to know they can be anything even in today's modern society.

To conclude, although I do understand what Billie Jean King is trying to convey, at the same time, sometimes your image of what you want to achieve can become a blur if you are stuck in situations such as being rejected by more than ten publishing houses. The most important thing however is to rise even if some things can be an anchor weighing you down. Sometimes, you do not have to see it to be it, you need to be it to see it.

1. I really enjoyed reading your response to the questions posed brilliant_vegetable. Really good job.

I often modify the statement to "it's easier to be it if you can see it" as just knowing something is possible and achievable can help that person decide to take the first steps towards their goals. But there will also be those that have a clear view of who or where they want to be and they create their own path.

1. Thank you for the thoughtful comment Jen. Personally, for me I always see the bigger picture whenever I am physically in that position whilst not being in the position makes that clear picture more vague and faded.

• Yes I agree with the statement of billy Jean king "you have to be see it to be it" It means that "Any personality which inspired you which change your life you have to study there life that how he /she reach at that level to follow her pathway
    There are many personalities for inspiration but the personality that inspired me the most is Surgeon general Nigar Johar in the Pakistan army.Nigar is the first and only women in the history of Pak Army to reach the rank of lieutenant general. Nigar Johar was National icon that symbolize the empowerment of woman
    She give a message of hope that the women are not less powerful than men Every person has power to reach there goal If we do hard work we must reach our goal .We don't have to lose hope and confidence and adhere to the principals and goals.She inspired me more than ever When ever I see like this personalities my strength and spirit increases

• I will put a question out there. Suppose that you were Althea Gibson. How can you "see it to be it" if you are the first?

• After I read what Billie Jean King wrote when she said it to become something you have to see.
    Her phrases stopped me, for example. In order to become a distinguished and successful teacher, you must take many courses in your specialty and adopt new approaches. Also, in order to become successful, you should think about what you need to develop your abilities. For example, I had always aspired to make my calligraphy unique, so I was inspired by the calligraphy courses, and indeed I joined them during the summer vacation and felt proud that I had achieved what I had aspired to. To achieve what we aspire to and work hard to get what helps us achieve.
    Now I aspire to become a doctor, but I have so many possibilities that qualify me for this dream.
    And if I achieve what the writer said, I will fulfill my passion and prosper my future.

• I would like to inspire my friends to read the books I read because reading helps the students improve their language especially the middle schools and high schools student and to inspire them is to persuade the authors to write the books with language of the teenagers and the topics that would attract them according to each age or the culture of each country

• The player Billie Jean King meant by (you have to see it to be like that) she meant you should know what you want to become and what you want to achieve and do in your life you will be able to achieve it so we must plan our future in order to achieve our dreams I inspired my time to think about my future and my accomplishments that I want to do it. I study hard because I want to become a criminal inspector in order to catch criminals and hold them accountable for their actions. Any criminal must be arrested, even if he is from a rich family, because people are equal, and any criminal must be punished for his actions, regardless of his residence or nationality. This profession is like when a crime is reported, they tell us so that we can arrest criminals so that we can live in peac

• I think she means that you must see the amount of hope and optimism that you must have in order to reach it, and at the same time see the fatigue and hardship while not giving up in order to reach what you want

• I think Billie Jean King means if you see something yourself, you will believe it to exist or be true, despite the fact that it is extremely unusual or unexpected. Yes I do agree with her because there are many things that I have done either right or wrong because I have seen it happening. I never believed in myself, I was insecure of many things till I met an old friend who inspired me and now I feel like nobody can make me feel insecure about anything again. I would love to inspire someone who is facing the same problem I faced to never doubt his or her capabilities and reach out for the best.

• 1.) Do you have to see it to be it? I am not sure if you have to see it to be it. Everyone has their own interpretation of what they hear or say. I say I am not sure because, on one hand, you can say that you do not have to see it to be it just like in the movie Black Panther, Chadwick Boseman might have not seen himself being one of the few black actors to experience diversity as the storyline of movies. In the sense that he was given to act a hero role in the movie even though he was black. He also might have not seen himself acting in a movie where blacks were well represented. In the movie, Wakanda was a technologically advanced place and the black people acted in good roles which is something that is not so common nowadays. He might not have pictured himself acting in one of the most talked about movies at the moment. He probably was just diligently and faithfully doing his work and never expected to have been graced with such an opportunity.

On the other hand, Chadwick Boseman might have seen himself acting in a movie highly appreciated for its amazing level of diversity and representation for him to have worked towards it. If he didn't have that picture and determination in his head all the way, he might not have had the courage to carry on to achieve his goal despite the slim chances of him achieving his goal.

1. Can you find any interviews or quotes from Chadwick Boseman where he discusses his views on these things?

• I think that Billie Jean King is completely true. Even I agree in the statement “you have to see it to be it”. This line or phrase tells us that first you have to see, analyze, evaluate, think and learn about it to achieve it. To be a teacher, we just can't go teaching like that. First we need the proper education for it. There are many more examples of it such as:-
    ~ We have to learn science and mathematics to be a scientist and also we should get some inspiration from other scientist, we should see to be!!

• When she says to have to see it to achieve it I take two meanings from this ''perception is what becomes reality'' you can imagine yourself becoming a doctor, treating patients and being well known before you become a doctor or you see your passion for it not your perspective you need to have passion for what you want to be that way you will be able to see it and achieve it. An example was the time I saw that I could play badmminton I just saw it as an easy sport and felt I could play it I lost my first match but when I sat down to analys the sport i saw that it was just a simple game to keep the cok in the air I practiced very much and now i am in the final. So to all those out there I do not want you just to see what you want to be and relax you have to see it and then work towards achieveing it.

• When you hear about someone's accomplishments, you feel that it is exaggerated, but when you see it with your own eyes, you involuntarily feel the feeling that makes you risk that you can do it.
    At first, I thought that diving in the depths was boring and did not suit me, but when I saw the joy and laughter resulting from the adventures enjoyed by the deep-sea divers, their photos, and even video clips, I felt forces pushing me to enter this field despite the risks and obstacles, and despite that, I did not reach where I am today.
    I want to say that this is a moment in life that is not repeated. Learn from others, trust yourself, and do not think that you cannot, because you did not try to see that

• I met Billie Jean Jake about two years ago when I was obsessed with tennis. In Covid 19, I entered the Tennis competition and I searched for the best player, and the name Billy appeared to me, which I knew nothing about. I watched some videos of her and she impressed me with her skill. I am pleased to talk about her today because I consider her my role model in the field of tennis. Now she is 78 years old. It is considered a pioneer of diversity and equality.

• First, I agree with Billie Jean King when she said that you have to see it to be like that. It is a correct statement, so every person in this life must have an ambition and a goal that he wants to reach, but on the condition that he has capabilities and capabilities that help him achieve his goal. For example, in order to become a scientist, you must have higher thinking capabilities In order to be distinguished and reach your ambition, you have to strive and collect as much information as possible because success is an essential and important element in achieving the goal.

• Yes, I strongly agree with what Billie Jean Kong mentioned. I believe that an ambitious person should see his ambitions and dreams in front of him through learning, training and experience. A person can see his ambition as a reality little by little. The mood of a person, inspiration may come to a person at any time and any circumstance, and it is not linked to good life conditions, meaning that there are inspiring people who came out of the worst circumstances, and I think that a person may be an inspiration to others if he comes with an experience or work that no one preceded him to, or he comes out with a wonderful work from an environment It does not help him to be creative, or the person may have provided humanitarian services that benefited humanity without discrimination (inspiration and creativity have no limits).

• I think Billie Jean King means that if we see someone achieve the impossible , it inspires and motivates us also to do the same . If we see someone like us follow their dreams and accomplish what they want , it makes us believe in ourselves .
    I do believe inspirations play a major role in shaping our future . However , I do not agree with this statement . In my opinion , we don’t need to see someone or copy them to make ourselves better , if we make our mind to achieve something it doesn’t matter if we see someone do it or not .

A few months back when I met an international scrabble player from my school , younger than me , I felt inspired and impelled to learn about it and participate in such competitions .

I would like to inspire others by spreading information about more such competitions like scrabble which is usually played as a game for fun and many have never heard of its competitions also .
    I would also like to inspire people in future by setting an example of be your own inspiration .

• Billie jean king is saying that we should know about the one who inspires you. I think that it is right. We have many good examples around us as Abdul Sattar Edhi . He was very courageous and kindhearted. He helped orphan children, widow women, accident patients and some other works.
    He showed that name does not matters that one is very famous. He helped humans of all religions,races,colors through his special campaign system.

• A things that has become familiar for people of color is low representation in films and in older films people of color in the US were portrayed as criminals and thugs but what people of color need is representation, black panther in which the protagonist(Chadwick Bosman) was an African American and the movie featured many African actors it was the first of it's kind, it portrayed Africa in a positive way it was the first of it's kind to hit the mainstream.
    Yes minorities need equal and fair representation in films in media because films are a big cause of stigmatization of races.

• What does Billie Jean King mean by *you've got to see it to be that* Do you agree?
    I definitely agree with this opinion, but this phrase means a lot to me because I have to be in the top ranks, i.e. first in everything, whether in school or work or anything else, and I will certainly be like Billie Jean King in particular.
    2 Can you give an example of a time when you were inspired to do something?
    Certainly that time in which I participated in a great competition that was at the national level and won the third place, but no despair, I will keep hope in front of my eyes because hope is an important thing for me and for you as well. is not it?
    3 What would you like to inspire someone else to do?
    I would like to inspire someone to do good, because next time he will find good in front of him and no doubt I will inspire someone not to waste time because time is an important thing as water is an important thing as was said in the popular saying
    (Time is like sword if you do not cut it, it will cut you).
    (Time is the mainstay of success).

• Billie Jean King meant when you imagine and dream what you want to be and looking at the compassion you want to be, you can follow it. When I was young watching youtube I saw people being a youtuber and I said "I want to be that job!" SO I am waiting for an opportunity to do it. I will inspire other people to do something they like and ignore what the person wants you to do and just always follow their own dreams.

• According to my knowledge Billie Jean King means first we have to see something which we want to do.Ya agree. Recently I had inspired about the article writing.I inspired by the articles written by our school chief principal madam.I inspire someone else to be brave and self-confident . And should have the mindset of facing the struggles.

• Yes we have to see it to be it. We should try to be better than inspirer. I like Barack Hussein Obama.Being black he served both black and white. He showed equality in his reign.

• I agree because seeing people can inspire others even if they're different and you will be the first of your heritage do it if you really want to.

• I agree because seeing people can inspire others even if they're different and you will be the first of your heritage to do it. if you really want to.

• No we should make ourselves to make us able to follow.

• I don't think you have to see it because you can be anything you want to be.

• I think Billie Jean King means you have to know and see what you want to be or what you want to do in life to be able to do what you want to do. Yes, i do agree with that statement because you can't be something if you don't know what you want to do with your life. I would like to inspire people to be themselves and follow their dreams also, the right path. So l think

• Yes i agree with billie Jean King because sometimes you do have to see it to be it because when you wanna be it its harder to be it whenever you cant or dont see because when you see it it explains more then you not seeing it does that is why i agree with Billie Jean King and another reason why i agree with him is because sometimes you cant be it if you dont see it that is why you have to see it to be it . I also belive that Billie Jean King is trying to say and explain it bassicly saying its easier to be it if you see it .

• 1.) Do you have to see it to be it? I am not sure if you have to see it to be it. Everyone has their own interpretation of what they hear or say. I say I am not sure because, on one hand, you can say that you do not have to see it to be it just like in the movie Black Panther, Chadwick Boseman might have not seen himself being one of the few black actors to experience diversity as the storyline of movies. In the sense that he was given to act a hero role in the movie even though he was black. He also might have not seen himself acting in a movie where blacks were well represented. In the movie, Wakanda was a technologically advanced place and the black people acted in good roles which is something that is not so common nowadays. He might not have pictured himself acting in one of the most talked about movies at the moment. He probably was just diligently and faithfully doing his work and never expected to have been graced with such an opportunity. RIP CHADWICK BOSEMAN

• In my opinion, I think Billie Jean King means that, if you notice someone making a difference in the world or being an inspiration to you , you could be that inspiration towards other people , for when you are very passionate about something you would probably want to be or do it , so this statement to me , is all about determination and self love , as these two things are very important for you to have. Today, you see people being interviewed since they have shared their thoughts and ideas , if you believe in yourself, you could be the one being questioned. For I have said this , I definitely agree with what has been said , because I always tell myself, that, in the word impossible , it really means I am possible , so I can always achieve anything I need to. Although I have been inspired by many kind words, I have been really touched by a book that I had read , which was about people , who had made a massive change to the world ( in a good way). However, when I was on my past page , it said.. "Keep your face always towards the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you."

• in my opinion i think billie jean king means, that you have to know or see something to be it because if you want to be something and you dont know what the job is like or what to do then you cant work there. and it could also help you to get motivated or inspired to do the job or follow your dream. so yes, i do agree with billie jean king.

1. I agree because, most of the people i know do not really know what to be, instead of working hard and do more research on what they want to be or do, they end up seeing their follow pressure groups we like to call "Friends" deciding on what they want to do, they follow and they finally find out what they are doing is regrettable and they end of regretting and wishing to go back and decide better on their own . The moral lesson of this event l learnt is that it is not everything you see that you are meant to be, you are meant to take your time and continue to stay motivated and most importantly never to give up and keep having good visions of what you are meant to be and when time has it, your season to shine well eventually come.

• My favourite super hero is SPIDER MAN
    * He is a brave and also a a man who never ever give up.
    * He is helping a lot of people but he won't be proud and always have a humble attitude .
    * He is physically and also mentally strong which inspired me a lot.
    * Not only me but also a lot of children like him.
    * Though the situation goes worse he never loose his confidence

• In my most recent internship, we had a project that had a fixed delivery date, since it was tied to the release of another product. As we approached the delivery date, it became clear that one of the deliverables was going to be difficult to complete. So I organized a scrum meeting with our team and we decided that a team pizza party would be our motivation and reward for completing the deliverable. By working together, we not only delivered on time, we actually beat the deadline. And yes, we did have our pizza party together as a team.

• I definitely agree with this opinion, women's accomplishments are not documented, published or promoted, it leads to a lack of role models for girls and women to emulate. As American tennis player Billie Jean King said, “You have to see it to be it.” Female role models act as critical inspiration for girls and women by showing what is possible.

1. Interesting point eager_speed. Before role models what do you think motivated these women towards these achievements? How can we replicate those motivations today?

1. women's have alot of achievements motivation in her life example can be a person who is striving to become a manager of a sales company. This person is likely to set small realistic goals monthly. These goals would show actionable steps to improve one's craft. Striving to work towards that goal is imperative in achievement motivation.

1. Thanks for your response eager_seed. I agree having a goal to aspire to can be motivation in itself!

• To me Billie Jean King means that you yourself will have to experiance something to be a change or a change maker. She means experiance brings transformation .
    I partially agree with this because seeing things cause us to act .Though there are examples for that for instance the Father of our Nation Mahatma Gandhi experienced discrimination while travelling in a train in South Africa wanted to bring in equality .To give respect to diversity he reprecented the same by the way he dressed himself . But to me if we can feel connected with the idea of respecting diversity we would try to appriciate reprecentation of the same.
    Reading news items on Srilankan power crisis with the people of the country suffering 8-10 hours of power cut .i have started to work on conserving electrical energy .i do not know if this would in anyway help those who do not get electricity but am happy that this has brought in an awaress in me .
    I would like to inspire others to empathise with people and things to respect diversity.

1. Your comment also shows the power of news reporting, @receptive_mandarin, because after hearing the stories of how people live in other places it can give us a new perspective on how we live ourselves. Billie Jean King is also particularly talking about how seeing someone like yourself succeed at something you didn't think was possible for you before can inspire you to achieve your ambitions. Who inspires you in that way? How would you like to inspire other people?

• I fully agree with Billie Jean King's statement "You have to see it to be it". What she means to say is, if you see someone with whom you can relate with doing something phenomenal, you also start to believe that you too can do and begin to work towards that goal.

For instance, the film King Richard gave a completely new perspective to Tennis. I could feel the pain the family had to go through not only for them to get represented in a game that they are passionate about, but also to be a representative for the entire community from where they come from. The pain one goes through and the subsequent success they taste, would inspire many more from the community they represent and thus, creates a platform for all, for everyone from diversified background with similar talent to participate.

What an inspiration the William sisters have been to many young girls from their community to dream, work and achieve. When the young ones see such success, they want to be it!

I am not an avid reader of books. Years before my mom gifted me a book "BOOK THEIF" story about a young girl living in Nazi Germany. But never felt the need to read this until recently. This book changed my perspective about life. Under unimaginable situations Ms.Leisel learnt to read, read books, and finally wrote books and became an accomplished author. Here was a girl, who wanted to read but couldn't, yet overcame all struggles, difficulties, challenges and she read. This book inspired me to develop my reading habits.

And I want to inspire more to read. I am initiating a project for the under privileged through our school so that even those housekeeping staff are given opportunity to learn to read. My 2023 resolution is to help and inspire many more to learn to read.

1. Hi charming_weaver, I also read the Book Thief this year - a fantastic book and an insight into adversity, perseverance and community. Why did you feel the 'need' to read the book recently? Do you have any particular ways you will inspire others to read, as today we have so many options of how to spend our time?

• I believe what Billie Jean King means by "you have to see it to be it" is that you must first envision something before you can be that thing, that is, you must first see it in your mind's eye before it can become a reality. To succeed, you must first believe in yourself. To be a great basketball player, you also must see it before you can become it, and then you must train and work on yourself and your skills until you are it.
    I've seen my father working on his computer, doing things like coding and assisting people in building their websites. I became fascinated by it and told him about my desire to learn and do the same. The way he encouraged me inspired me to believe that even women can achieve great things; as a result, I am currently learning about coding and other computer programming concepts.
    There is no diversity in the world of recycling, for example; someone once stated that it is dominated by whites rather than blacks. Some people appear to believe that nothing good can be created from waste because, after all, it is just waste. We have been learning and attempting to create a variety of items from waste materials at my school. I believe we can raise awareness and educate people about waste reuse and recycling. This can be accomplished by establishing clubs in which people can come to see what can be made from waste materials and then be taught how to make new products from waste. Many people are unemployed and struggling to make ends meet. Instead of sitting at home doing nothing or waiting for the job of their dreams, we can encourage them to pursue opportunities like this, which may help to increase diversity in the industry.

• In my opinion what she meant by " I think you have to see it to be it" is having a vision and a goal before you can achieve your aspirations. I have been inspired to help little children that do not have the opportunity to go to school, learn how to read and write. If I was to inspire someone I would like the person to help the less privileged children to achieve some of their goals and also be an environmentalist.

1. emotional_meaning that is an interesting perspective! How do you set your goals? Do you think you could use a better method?

• I think what Billie Jean King meant by "you have to see it to be it " is that to be what you want to be you have to first know what it feels like to be what ever you want to be like for example to be an engineer you need to know their work requirements, what they go through everyday to make a living. Basically you just need to be aware of what you want to be.

• She means that to become anything you have to first see it like for example incase u want to be a footballer you first get the interest after watching a football match and you spot out the person who seemed to play very well and you follow him up and that person inspires you to be a footballer. Then in another perspective when someone comes and tells you that you are good in this like for example he or she says are good at football you join an academy and get more training so as to become an international footballer then you also realize it in you that you are good and you decide to work hard and become an international footballer.
    Like for me there was a time I was inspired by a certain Ugandan gospel artist who explained his story of how he became an artist he said "He had to do dirty work just to get money to pursue what he loved and that was music" And since I love music it inspired me to put my talent into good use as earlier as possible so that I won't hustle in future when I don't have my parents to provide for me.
    But all in all as to me I would like to inspire someone to do what he or she is good at, loves and what makes him or her happy.

• I think Billie Jean king wanted to encourage us to know what we want, in order to work on our self to reach our goals. Also, to ask our self: why we are on this planet? Why god had created us? And when we answer these questions we will know what we want and why we are living.

• Diversity is an important part of the African culture, and most people disregard the pride and joy of being an African because of the under development in major parts of Africa and when movies are displayed then they would be a sense of African pride within them, to inspire them to know that they are Africans and whatever they do or think can never change that .

• I do believe that we have to see it to be it because people don't just decide to be something unless the see someone do it or be it.

1. Interesting perspective blithesome_engineer - what about when there is nothing to 'see'?. In the absence of role models, what do you think drives someone to do something 'first' e.g. Apple creating the iPhone, it had not been done before.

• Billie Jean simply means you always have to imagine, have a picture or vision on what you want to do, and your passion.
    And a typical example of when I was inspired was when I really wanted to study textile and fashion design but
    I didn't know how to sketch or anything about drawing but deep down I knew that was what I really wanted to do. And I decided to make a research about all the people who made it to where they were now and I realized I had a chance to make my dreams come true and I decided to learn how to sketch and I started watching You tube videos on how to draw and am doing pretty good.
    I would love to inspire people realize their purpose, their gifts, talents and what they love to do the most. A lot of people these days don't follow their dreams cause they don't realize what they really want to do, and you find out they follow someone else's path and I would love to change that about someone.

• I agree with Jean King Because whoever wants to continue and succeed in any field, work, or idea, must first think long before starting, and set the necessary goals and plans that oblige him to know whether he will continue in it and succeed, or he will oppose his goal and dream and stop and look for others. Whoever sets a goal for something does not look at the words of the frustrated or the competitors, turns a blind eye to all the things that will hinder his career until his success continues and he achieves his goal. And if he fails once, this does not mean that he lost, and this is the end of the world. On the contrary, failure is the basis of success that motivates continuity.
    I say to everyone that not despair generates positive energy in a person. Earlier, the teacher asked me to draw, and I did not care about drawing, so the drawing was not beautiful, and this happened more than once. I found the teacher's interest and motivation for the other students, so I became jealous of becoming like those girls, because I am not inferior to them. I began to take an interest in drawing time after time until I became one of the distinguished in the field of drawing. The ladder of success requires us to climb step by step, in order to enjoy the moments of success and its pleasure.

• I agree with what Billie Jean King said, "you have to see it to be it" I agree because a proverb says seeing is believing. You have to see people doing what you want to do because it will serve as an inspiration for you. Seeing people do what you want to do teaches you a lot especially the fact that you get to learn from the person's mistake, and you can come up with solutions for future purposes. An illustration is about our individual religions: the Christian's look up to Jesus as their messiah and the Muslims look up to Mohamed as their role model. I would love to inspire people to gain or acquire skills in programming

• I think that it should stay as it is so that it gets money and that it brings joy to people, and it should be child friendly what I mean is no swearing as it has a lot of swears so if there is no swears anyone could watch it and it could be a bit better not judging by the film, I think the film is great, but it could be better than it is so if the people who made Wakanda forever could see this it would be great bye

• My parents have inspired me to learn and read as when they were younger, there parents weren't educated and they weren't either however they did not want me and my brother to struggle like they did. Now I am a keen learner and a bookworm!

• I do not agree with this saying if it means that you have to see a person who has had the experience that you seek, so that you can also have it,You can be the beginning of every new experience
    Every invention now was once impossible, although Edison never saw a lamp like his lamp, but he made his dream all that he sees and made it a reality.

1. I completely agree broadminded_memory - Edison had a breakthrough in improving the functionality of the light bulb. What do you think inspires individuals to invent something new or improve something that already exists?

1. Thank you for your response and for opening a discussion between you and me with this question,Next time I will employ the skill of good listening to have a cross-talk like you did!
        I see that inspiration comes after meditation, when we contemplate the universe around us, we will find many simple inventions that we humans have invented! It does not consist of huge generators and tools, but of simple things, but they have made an impact, and among the simplest examples of this organic fertilizer,Animal excrement and the excesses of our food needs and a few materials that we find anywhere, and this is how we invented fertilizer for our sheep, even if a little bit by using chemicals,But is our discovery of this method of compost formation sufficient to make us neglect the development of our thinking about it?Of course not. In the previous year, two university students, one who owns a project of selling sanitary napkins and one who sells figs, the first succeeded in her project and the second failed and the figs rotted, and they used the concept of meditation and reached a solution,They made compost out of the blood coagulated in sanitary pads and rotten figs, and so they earned both from products we thought useless.
        For example, I will give you an example of using meditation to create inspiration. The idea of ​​the plane came from the bird and its flight. Humans tried to build a wing that resembles a bird’s wing, light and balanced in the air.
        Many ideas come to our minds when we meditate, but we often ignore them. But if we look at the saying, “Every invention was initially an idea.” We will see that if we take the initiative to give importance to a fleeting idea that will have a great impact, as today we have the plane, tomorrow we will have your idea as an invention!

1. Absolutely no problem broadminded_memory and thank you for such a well thought out comment. Yes, there are a lot of nature inspired inventions and indeed through 'meditation' and taking a moment to really look around us, we can be inspired. Your final paragraph is definitely inspiring and a good sign of a growth mindset. Keep up the good work!

• I think when Billie Jean said " you have to see it to be it " is that let's take for example seeing successful people ...don't you want to be like them ,when u actually see them in real life.
    Like I know that you can see them on social media , but these days not alot of people even believe what they see on social media ..why?
    Catfishing and trying to look as if you are successful.
    So seeing actual people who worked hard to represent what they got and what they have ,and show the world that they can do alot.. can inspire alot of people.
    For example me...I saw alot of amazing artists on social media ,but who knows if they were the ones who drew it?
    But here years ago I met a girl who was amazingly talented!!
    I used to watch her draw for hours and not get bored ..that's when she told me that I have pretty good taste in art and I started drawing day by day I got better and better !
    And guess what now ..? I get chosen to participate in competitions.
    So if I get to inspire u in something as a complete stranger from distance is try to do thing .. don't be like "oh yeah she is pretty good at it" .."lucky her!" No go do something ..try it ...give it a shot.

• I think Billie Jean King means that in order to become something you have to see first for example before you become an environmental expert you first have to see that the activities that are being carried out in your community are degrading the environment after seeing that you will be able to become an expert in Environmental protection, so the meaning of it is to see something become so. From another perspective to become successful you have to see the potential in yourself, for example to become a doctor you first have to realize that you have the potential so if you don't see or realize that you have the potential to become a doctor you will not be able to pursue it, so in the long run The short "You have to see it to be". For me the time I was inspired was when we had brass band rehearsal at school and the coach couldn't pay much attention to me and yet I could go there every time there was rehearsal and at some point I felt like leaving the band but When we were having a job there was a guy who came to help out with our band and he played an instrument like me so I had a conversation with him and after that conversation I was encouraged and after the next two rehearsals I caught the attention of the coach and now I can really play this instrument. I also like to inspire some to play musical instruments because music is really good and profitable so that they too can enjoy the passion of music.

• In my opinion you don't have to see it to be it because a lot of people have not seen things but became those things
    with hard work and dedication.

• I dont have a yes or no answer but what i have to say is maybe. Some people need to see it but others can just be hopeful and just know that it can happen. I feel like it would definitely make people confident and make it easy to believe that it would happen if people could watch and see it happen but other people can just feel it or just know.
    if i had to choose one i would say yes.

• 1. Billie Jean King means you have to see something to do it. I agree because when you try to learn something, you have to be taught it before you start. You have to learn to crawl before you walk. You also can't talk or share opinions on something such as diversity until you know what it is.

2. I have been inspired to do things by my friends, if my friends can do something then so can I, for example one of my friends was doing a martial art, so I asked my parents if I could join and they said yes. I was inspired to start a martial art.

3. I would love to inspire my friends to write a book with me and we could cooperate to make an amazing book.

• No you don't need to see to be it.

I have been inspired by people doing football training.

• Yes I do agree with blilie .she isn’t wrong. When she says about disabled being in the background maybe one day the disabled can be a main character in a film

• I think Billie Jean King meant that you have to picture it in your head, or you have to know the subject to be able to believe and become it. Once, when I saw my dad working in his office at a T Mobile center, seeing how important his work was, I wanted to have a job that was that important or one that affects lives.

• Billie Jean King means if you see something you want to do you can do it. I agree but you can still be anything you want without seeing it first like sometime's you can be a doctor and you don't even know what it looks like and still be a successful person. I have been inspired to do my work and get good grades I want to be like one of the most successful people in the world. I want to inspire people to be kind to one and other because there's not a lot of people who are being kind but I will change that.

• In my opinion, Billie Jean King might be right because if you see someone you could be inspired by them.

• I think Billie Jean King means you have to take inspiration from others. You don't have to see it to be it. A lot of people want to achieve the impossible, although what's even impossible these days. People have tried so many things and have sometimes been successful no matter how ridiculous their plans seemed to others. Those people end up being the examples of today's society.

• I believe that Billie Jean King's statement means that you have to see and believe that you can do or become something. I strongly agree with this statement because If someone didn't see and believe that they could do something then we wouldn't have half of the people that we do in this world. I would like to inspire people to keep trash in trash cans and keep food on peoples tables. Helping people is the best thing for the world and I believe that everyone should help and save.

• "You have to see it to be it." I agree with this statement because you can't really be something--for example, valedictorian or a nurse--unless you've seen it, but in some cases you can be something through plans and imagination. If you know it's achievable and you've seen it happen before, it's clear you can be whatever it is as long as you put work and effort into it. If you planned something to become a reality, I think if you can believe you can achieve.
    Something I've been inspired to do was be a better person. When I was little, I used to always look up to my older sibling. I always noticed how kind and generous they were, so ultimately I strived to be like them.
    Something I'd like to inspire someone else to do is to start reading and studying. Depending on what genre of book you read, these books can help open your mind and what you see. It can also open your comprehension and lexile level the more you read. In addition to this, studying helps build personal skills. People tend to become more confident, productive, have greater thinking skills, and more just by studying.

• I think Billie Jean King a tennis a players and a women activist meant that before you can be able to do something or be a winner in short terms having a role model or an inspiration so I think she meant that you have to first be insipired by someone or something inorder for you to be able to be that you want to be for example a child can't be in a school full of polite and humble students and for him he becomes or remains unruly so if that child's sees everyone polite he or her becomes also polite so that is what Billie Jean King meant by you have to see it to become it.
    The time I was insipired to do something was when I was in primary where I was going to do my final exams and I felt like Kiswahili was burden to then at home I had a big brother there and he was in University but he was able to teach some foreigners Kiswahili and he told me some time back I was struggling with Swahili but with time and persistance, persivere I was able to excel in Swahili those were his words I was even on a verge of leaving Swahili and ready to fail it but after his words and his success I became persistent to Swahili and now I can speak it and make a speech in Swahili. I would like to insipire some one to be able speak different language and be perfect like the way my brother insipired me.

• Actually, I disagree with this. It is always a first time to invent something new. For example, a long time ago, girls weren't allowed to wear pants. They could only wear dresses. However, there had to be a first girl to stand upon this ridiculous rule. Of course other girls saw her, took her as an example and followed her. But in order to see someone doing something hard to achieve, but super successful and take the example and be it, there has to be a person doing it for the first time. It is true it is pretty hard to be the first person doing something. You might fail, you might succeed. But you don't know what is going to happen. Another thing is that it is posible not to happen when you do it. It may happen after 20, 50 or even 100 years, as it happend with some writers and artists. Their work became appreciated by people after they died. It will always be hard to become, to invent something new, but it will never be impossible. There will still be a chance you can do it, even if it will be very small.

• What Billie Jean King means is that you have to know and see what you want to be or what you want to do in life to be able to do what you want to do. Yes, I agree with that statement because you can't be something if you don't know what you want to do with your life. I would like to inspire people to be themselves, follow their dreams, and live every day as if it was the last.

• I think it means experiments. We really have to see it closely. I don't mean to watch. We have to try everything and know if it's really worth it or if it will be considered just an experiment that will either fail or succeed, so we must explore first.

• She means that if you want something you have to see someone accomplish that thing then you can too. I disagree as if you really want something you just have to believe you have it then you would soon get it.

• I think what Billie Jean King meant was that you cannot do something without have an example for example if you are a black American and you want to become an aero engineer but you have never seen any black aero engineer you might end up not completing your dream that is what I think what Billie Jean King meant by saying that “you have to see it to be it” and me I interpreted it as you can't do something without an example.
    I think if you can believe you can achieve.
    Something I've been inspired to do was be a better person. When I was little, I used to always look up to my older sibling. I always noticed how kind and generous they were, so ultimately I strived to be like them.
    Something I'd like to inspire someone else to do is to start reading and studying. Depending on what genre of book you read, these books can help open your mind and what you see. It can also open your comprehension and lexile level the more you read. In addition to this, studying helps build personal skills. People tend to become more confident, productive, have greater thinking skills, and more just by studying.

• I fully agree with Billie Jean King's statement "You have to see it to be it". What she means to say is, if you see someone with whom you can relate with doing something phenomenal, you also start to believe that you too can do and begin to work towards that goal.

For instance, the film King Richard gave a completely new perspective to Tennis. I could feel the pain the family had to go through not only for them to get represented in a game that they are passionate about, but also to be a representative for the entire community from where they come from. The pain one goes through and the subsequent success they taste, would inspire many more from the community they represent and thus, creates a platform for all, for everyone from diversified background with similar talent to participate.

What an inspiration the William sisters have been to many young girls from their community to dream, work and achieve. When the young ones see such success, they want to be it!

I am not an avid reader of books. Years before my mom gifted me a book "BOOK THEIF" story about a young girl living in Nazi Germany. But never felt the need to read this until recently. This book changed my perspective about life. Under unimaginable situations Ms.Leisel learnt to read, read books, and finally wrote books and became an accomplished author. Here was a girl, who wanted to read but couldn't, yet overcame all struggles, difficulties, challenges and she read. This book inspired me to develop my reading habits.

And I want to inspire more to read. I am initiating a project for the under privileged through our school so that even those housekeeping staff are given opportunity to learn to read. My 2023 resolution is to help and inspire many more to learn to read

• Most people are motivated to do better in life by two considerations.
    First, to improve the quality of their life in earnings, career progression, social status, self-confidence, job satisfaction etc. The list of possible motivating factors is endless. Whether these hopes and aspirations are fully realized in practice is another thing. But unless you try you will never know.
    The second factor is the competition we feel with our family, friends, colleagues, and peers. We may outwardly appear to be pleased to hear of their success stories but often inside we’re seething with resentment and jealousy. “Why can’t that be me? “ “Right I’ll show them what I can do” are common responses to not only compete but to exceed their achievements.
    These competitive responses are natural and have been the driving force behind humankind’s progress over the centuries.