Test your knowledge!

A new topic means a new chance to test your knowledge of the news!

This short quiz is a good chance to recap what you learnt in class if you did the Earth Day lesson. Don’t worry if you didn’t – you can also use this quiz as an opportunity to learn.

Can't view the quiz? follow this link: https://economistfoundation.typeform.com/to/CvmbTDUZ

Comments (94)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• In the quiz I scored 5, I also learnt what causes our planet to heat up which speeds up climate change and also the big effects climate change is going to have on the people

• My final score is 8 . I'm happy that I have learnt a lot and made only 3 mistakes .Ofcourse I came to know about myself

• In the quiz I got an 8. I learnt a lot of things. In relation I learnt that climate change can be harmful or it is an advantage to us. It was harmful in the start of the year 2008 and the New Zealand government wanted to eliminate and slash the tobacco retailers by 2025. Which is a good thing but this action was taken as a result of the toxic carbon released which changed the climate.

1. I agree because thanks to this quiz, I now know more about the carbon footprint and how New Zealand made an effort to reduce climate change and air pollution

1. I agree with you, beacause me too I learnt the same and how in New Zealand the people born after 2008 were banned from ever buying cigaratte or tobacco products because it can lead to lung cancer,damage of the brain and other diseases.

2. I took the test again and I am elated to say that New Zealand's attempts and effort to put an end to air pollution and reduce climate change has motivated me to implement a move that helps reduce pollution in my country.

3. Congratulations on your quiz score!

You bring up an interesting point about climate change and its potential effects, both positive and negative. While it is true that some regions may experience benefits from a changing climate, such as longer growing seasons or increased rainfall, overall the negative impacts of climate change far outweigh any potential benefits.

One example of a government taking action to address climate change is the New Zealand government's goal to eliminate tobacco retailers While this action was motivated in part by concerns about toxic carbon emissions contributing to climate change, it also has important health benefits, as tobacco use is a leading cause of preventable illness and death.

Overall, it's important to recognize the serious and wide-ranging impacts of climate change, and to take action at all levels - from individual actions to government policies - to mitigate its effects and create a more sustainable future.

• It's very interesting and it helped me to recollect all the points my mam had thought me in the session , and I scored 8 out of 11. But I don't know in which question I had made mistake ,if I know that I'll correct it.

• In the quiz, I scored a 9 but am happy as I have learned more about the carbon footprint of the devices we regularly make weekly and daily and that using non-recycle toilet paper is harmful to our environment, I think reliable orchard is right as I also learnt our actions speed up climate change.

• I'm not sad because I got an 8, I would have liked more. But I am at the same time happy because I got new and wonderful information. And I got this information by browsing through (Topical Talk) I was stunned by the fact that in 2050 people will be forced to leave their homes because of climate change. every problem has a solution . For example, moving away from carbon footprint generators such as reducing urban sprawl and planting trees, as we know that trees breathe carbon dioxide to produce oxygen.

1. I agree with your opinion because those are steps we can take to lowering climate change.

• In the test, I got a score of 7, but experience is about making mistakes and learning from them. This test is interesting and fun, and I was waiting for the next question to solve it and get more marks. During the solution, I noticed that I summarized all the information I learned about Earth Day and the danger posed by climate change and that it will become In the coming years, it is responsible for at least 150,000 deaths every year, which is a great danger to many human lives.

• I got a 9. I am happy with my score and have learnt about how dangerous climate change can be, some of the many ways carbon dioxide increases in the atmosphere and how our actions can have a huge impact on the way we live.

• I got a 7 in the quiz but from now on i will try to reduce my carbon footprints and also suggest my friends to do so.

• My score was 9 and I felt happy that I've learned a lot of new information about the climate change and the new laws regarding it. Moreover this good result motivated me to search more about this topic and get more good information about it which will widen my thinking to look for good and effective Solutions for this serious problem.

• Firstly, I haven't studied climate change in school but based on my research I was able to score an 8 on the test which I am ecstatic about because it helped broaden my knowledge about the carbon footprint and has also pointed out some things that I can do to help slow down climate change.

1. I also learned that as well as the effects of climate change.

• In the quiz I have scored 7 points. Really I have learnt a lot of information regarding climate changes and about carbon footprint during our discussion. The additional information I want to learn about is the various causes of climate changes and how it affects the country's economy and the life of people. Because my aim is to be an public authority. So these information and learnings can help me in future to solve the issues and problems regarding climate changes. And also to find solution for it .

• I got an 8, for every question I waited a little to think about how to answer it. I was amazed by the law that New Zealand would like to implement, as it seeks to take a big step in protecting the climate, and it has also become able to differentiate even a little between carbon damage to our lives, and I liked the law of eating two pieces of beef throughout the month of the year, this is really what should be done and it should be made legal for all countries, I liked this test very much and learned from it too, thanks

1. I also got 8 scores im my quizz.. its nice expriment for me to learn about this topic then to test my knowledge.
      I agree with yoh that the law New Zealand is amazing if it's applicable. I hope this law will be implementd in my country. It will make big change and protect our health and the environment too.

• I got 7/10
    I am really happy that i have had the chance to learn all of these things about climate change.

• In the quiz I scored a 9. The quiz opened my knowledge about a lot of things like how climate affects our daily lives and our standard of living. New Zealand Government made a great impact to reduce climate change and its effects. We should encourage afforestation in our countries today to minimize the risk of climate change on us

• I have got 7 points . I was astonished by knowing that computers have a relationship with carbon dioxide . Really, I have learn more about this topic. Thanks a lot.

• On the test, I got a 4. I'm so glad I learned about the climate

• I took the test and got 9 out of 11, and I noticed during my submission of the test that I was skeptical about my answers, and this clarified to me an important point that I was ignorant of, that I have to review what I took previously so as not to forget it,And this test really helped me to install and save my information stronger

• After learning about the earth day crisis, I scored a 9.
    I have learnt that climate crisis is the biggest treat to the world. It is caused by carbon dioxide emitted from cars, motor bikes, air planes, generators, electronic devices and big industries.
    I want to learn more sustainable ways of managing climate crisis in order to enlighten people about the next step we need to take to prevent the negative effect of the carbon footprints.

• I got a score of 9.
    I learnt that experts predict that by the year 2050 a large number of people will be forced out of their homes because of climate change. This could be as a result of depletion of the ozone layer which causes floods and tsunamis. I want to learn more sustainable ways of protecting the ozone layer from depleting in order to protect the world from this crisis.

• In the Quiz I Scored 7, I also learnt about how carbon footprint is increasing heat on our planet. I also learnt that
    between 2023 and 2050 climate change expected to cause 250,00 death per year.

• I got 8 but I actually got a lot of information but it wasn't just information it was a great treasure
    I also discovered many facts that have benefited me in this life, so I thank those who made this wonderful project

• I scored an 8 in the quiz.
    I’ve learnt that carbondioxide is the major cause of the planet to heat up and cause change which can lead to additional deaths. With the evolution of digital world and the Metaverse, the use of computers will be on the rise high also contributes to the high level of CO2 emitted. I would like to know more strategic methods to use that will reduce this emissions so the the development of the Metaverse and other great digital experiences will not be stopped.

• I admit that I got a low score, but I was amazed at the information in this test and the amount of bad habits that I will start from today in order to change them. They leave carbon footprints. Using toilet paper and sitting on the computer are what I was really surprised by, and I was really surprised that the number of deaths will increase by an amount  150,000 loyalties, and this is a huge number, and a quick and immediate solution must be found. I was impressed by the law that prohibits smoking for those born after 2008, and I hope that the law will prevail for everyone

1. I agree because this law will ensure that the right thing is done in our society. However, will the law enforcers in our community ensure that netizens observe them? Will Netizens also adhere to them?

I believe sensitization or public education on the reason behind the law should be promoted. This will aid in the understanding of such law and what we gain when we follow them religiously.

• I received a 5 on this quiz, and I am glad I took it since I learned new stuff and about my carbon footprint. I also discovered that New Zealand does not allow children born in 2008 to purchase smokes, which is a heartwarming rule.

• I scored a 7. This quiz made me realize that little everyday activities like even using my computer right has a lot of adverse effects on my environment. I can't believe not many people know about this but I guess the good news is that we can use the same technology ruining our environment to build it up.

• I got 9, i also learnt to reduce our carborne footprint air pollution water pollution etc. because it causes climate change which heats up the world and causes major disasters which is affecting us not the world.

• In this quiz I have got only 6 points, but I learnt a lot of things from this quiz. The United Nations had stated that climate change is the biggest issue in the world. Carbon footprint is the major contributor of global warming and we should take necessary steps in the world.

• I got a result of 9/10.
    This is not bad at all and I had a great experience. In every question there are some easy questions, but there are also questions that make you think deeply so as not to make a mistake. I liked the result, but the thing that was making me puzzled was how using a computer can produce Carbon I searched on Google for the subject and I found that the amount of carbon dioxide that is emitted from the use of the computer is simple and not a big thing, but with the large number of people who use the Internet for work or research or anything else that may result in huge amounts of carbon

• I enjoyed solving the test and got 8 points. Indeed, the tests have great educational importance. This importance is not only in determining the fate of the student and crowning his efforts with success or failure, but it goes beyond being an important tool for learning. It is also a means of measuring and evaluating students' capabilities, and knowing their level. Achievement, this is on the one hand, and on the other hand, it is also mediated by standing on the extent to which behavioral goals are achieved, or educational outcomes, which help to raise the achievement competencies of students. I was also surprised by the solution of some questions. The question of toilet paper. We always use it in the bathroom and when eating, but it turns out that it contains a large percentage of carbon.I recommend raising awareness and education about the harms of using the toilet through social media, home, school and Friday, and guiding them about alternative ways to use water for cleaning and then drying with special cotton towels for each individual.

• I got a 9, but I did not think that the test would give me this amount of information because I did not know about this large pollution on this earth, and the truth is that we did not study it in schools, but I worked hard on myself and learned this information and I sat thinking about solutions to the test, but the law of New Zealand attracted me because if it was applied All over the world, it will give us the opportunity to reduce environmental pollution. Thank you for this useful information. I believe that my life will change for the better after this amount of information. I will try to guide my relatives with what I benefited from this experience and the many information that I knew.💜

• I got a 9 in the test. I am happy with this experience. I learned a lot from it. I learned about laws about the climate that I did not know about before, and I was amazed by them. I learned about the importance of every small action we do, how it affects the climate, and what is the importance of our climate, and I learned that we must kind people We talked about the importance of the climate and that we must protect the climate and the environment, and a lot of information I gained, and I will definitely share it with those around me so that they can benefit as well 👍

• Hi, I got an 8 on the test it's really cool because thanks to it I learned more about my carbon footprint. I also learned, through my participation, how to set laws and penalties, what are the things that harm the environment and increase the percentage of carbon, and how the United Nations was right when it said that climate change is the greatest threat, but I am not sad at this level, but rather happy because I want to gain experiences and spread them among my colleagues . I also learned that driving 8,000 kilometers a year using petrol cars carries a greater amount of carbon. I conducted research on that. It leads to environmental damage, especially in the seas, and its impact is local, such as noise, and global, such as the impact on the atmosphere. Thank you for this valuable information. I would like to know why using a computer for 59 hours increases the carbon content by 1.41 tons

• I got a 7/10 on the test. It's a bad mark I know , but I've learned that many of the things we're doing wrong are accelerating climate change and jeopardizing the protection of the Earth.

• I got 8/10. This is a good result. It is good. Of course, there was what I wanted to learn, which is that how did the experts know the people who would be affected by environmental problems, and how were they able to count the number? Are they from specific areas or different and random areas? All these questions revolve around My head and I tried to search on Google, but I did not find a clear and good answer that could help me

• My final score is 9 💙
    I am very happy to join because I learned a lot of things 💚
    I was really amazed when I heard all this information, working here is really fun and gives us more learning 🤍
    I learned that simple behaviors because they can cause destruction in our environment. I was surprised to learn that computer use, toilet paper that is not recycled and other uses that we do every day 😯
    Now that we know it's our turn to reduce these uses, and do the alternatives we talked about.
    🧐 Really, it's awesome 💜

• In the test, I got 6 marks, but I am happy because with the passage of time, I will learn more from the coming weeks. Nevertheless, this week was very useful for me, as I learned some new laws such as the law “At the beginning of 2023, people born after 2008 are prohibited from buying cigarette products.”
    I also learned our bad influence on the climate, and as for me, I try to stay away from things that harm the climate, and I hope everyone does the same.

Thank you for this project that benefits the world.🤍

• I scored 6 points.. But I'm happy, I knew the points I made a mistake and I'll do the research and learn them well 👍🏻
    also learned about the concept of the carbon footprint and its effects and I will work to reduce things that increase the carbon footprint personally and educate the people around me ✨
    I also learned about many laws that countries have put in place to protect the world.❤️

• after complete the earth day projet, i get 9 in the quiz, i feel very happy and i learned what carbon damage is ,and i knew about the attempts of countries to reduce carbon, and also new zealand . it has made many attempts to reduce carbon, it has made a wonderful ettort, i thank it for that , because it has protected its population from the dangers of increasing carbon ,and this is a great thing .

• It is an important test because it informs us of the effects of carbon dioxide and climate change on the world. Also, one of the countries that I liked in trying to preserve the world is the country of New Zealand, which is trying to reduce the use of tobacco that contains a large amount of nicotine. And from climate change and carbon effects that will lead in 2050 to death Millions of people left their homes. My score in the test is 6, but I learned valuable information on how to reduce carbon emissions and climate change. I will suggest to my family and my region to preserve our society so that it lives safe... 😊😊

• I got an 8 in the test, but I benefited from a lot of information that I did not know, but it helped me in life and I learned a lot about the climate and its factors and the consequences of climate change. I would really like to thank everyone who participated in this wonderful and educated project around the world

• Hi💚💙
    I want to know a lot and a lot.
    No matter how much we learn, we will not be able to confine science to this big world.
    Even when we learn, your questions increase and we find solutions to our questions that make us wonder more.
    Therefore, there is a lot and a lot to learn. 🤨
    I was really amazed at my knowledge of the laws of nature, and how nature is affected by things that we think are very simple in order to meet our needs, because it is the easiest way for us, but now we see and you will see dire results that harm us and nature.
    That made me find solutions to avoid these problems.
    It made me wonder:
    🧐 We have the solutions, why don't we? And we found the solution.
    🧐 Why don't we use clean energy? And we found the solution.
    And other questions that occupied my mind and my answers represented my point of view 😌. Many of the students agreed with their points of view, but I see that there are many points of view that I do not agree with.
    ☺️ Like not eating meat and becoming vegetarians. 🥦

• I scored an 8 on the quiz.

I would like to know more about the strategic way of reducing carbon emissions because we want to save our planet for future generations.

Thank you

• I get 6 and lm happybecase this quize give me know new information and all this topic "earth day " make us proud our selves by get stars from topical talk we all happy
    EVERY THANKS FOR YOU !

• In this test, I scored a 7 and I am happy because I learned more about carbon footprint, how simple electricity being used frequently can affect the environment, and how New Zealand has made an exemplary effort to stop climate change which I suggest all countries follow. I also learned how eating simple foods with meat can affect the climate. I also realized the amount of carbon dioxide admitted daily into the atmosphere that is causing great pollution and depleting the ozone layer causing harsh weather conditions and even worse health issues like skin cancer, and asthma I was happy I got to test my understanding of climate change its causes, the harmful effect, and even how to stop it through the test.

1. I agree with you storytelling_dog, why? because I too learnt about how carbon footprint can be caused and tested my self in arranging from the least to the biggest carbon footprint. On the same note, I wish the governments to come up with the possible or alternative ways of controlling the rate at which the carbon footprint will be minimized hence addressing the climate change.

• I scored 7, I learnt climate change and how using a computer for work and at home (59 hours per week) produces 1.41 tonnes of CO2 and using non-recycled toilet paper for a year increases carbon footprint.

• I believe the test knowledge is a great summary to what we appreciate on the topics given in a week. I will urge all to take the test to ensure that they have apprehended enough to move on to the next topic.

Lastly, it is facilitates the entire process by making concepts settle and practical. I have learned and unlearned a lot after this session. I am hoping to learn enough.

• I will give score is 6 for this quiz. And I would like to learn about climate law. It is very interesting and also it is social information

• My score is 8. I would like to learn more about the carbon footprint. This is going to help me understand, how I as an individual reduce the rapid climatic changes. It's truly mind blowing to know the kind of life we would loose and the displacement of people from their homes due to climate change.

• I received a good score in the test, but all I care about is increasing my knowledge of the carbon footprint. I was surprised that toilet paper, telephones, factories, cars, fast food, planes, and petroleum increase that footprint. Also, in the year 2050, the number of deaths will increase to 25,000, and this is not a good thing, so you people should preserve yourselves. As for the law of becoming vegetarians and not eating meat, I did not like it. From my point of view, there are many people who suffer from diseases, so they must eat meat in large quantities, and also that not eating meat leads to iodine deficiency and deficiency of vitamin D and vitamin B12.

• I scored 6 on my quiz, and even though I am not happy with what I got, I have learned a lot of new things. I haven't been taught climate change in school, but due to my research and discussions I had with my classmates and teachers about the topic, I could acquire some knowledge, thus I was able to score a six. Imagine how I would score if I had already learned it in class and added my research. The piece of information I have learned from the test is what carbon footprints are and that New Zealand does not allow children born in 2008 to purchase smoke. This quiz has made me learn a lot of new things about climate change, and how our everyday activities sometimes cause climate change. Due to this test, I have also learned that using non-recycle toilet paper is harmful to our environment which is a new piece of information to me.

• In the quiz, I obtained a 8.
    I also learnt how other countries are fighting the rate at which the carbon footprint is produced in their countries by giving the proposed rules or laws hence fighting the O zone layer which causes the largest climatic change through green house.

• I got a 6 I'm not sad because I learned new information about the carbon footprint in our world and how New Zealand has done its best to reduce pollution by eliminating or reducing people who sell tobacco

• How is the use of biogas environmentally friendly?

• In this quiz I scored 7 but I am really happy of myself because now I know more about carbon footprints and non recycled toilet paper is very bad for the environment.

• Today we learnt about fast fashion in our live lesson, fast fashion is cheap but stylish clothes. They are good because poor people can afford them. In the lesson I voted yes they should be banned. The reason they should be banned is because they increase carbon emissions when they are being made. Lastly because they are cheap people do not donate them out rather they throw them out. Fast fashion might look nice but it's very harmful to the environment.

1. We have learnt about fast fashion in our class in the past. I agree with your statement that it is very harmful to the environment. I think there are so many things people can do to change the fact that fashion negatively affects our environment. First of all, I don’t think large fashion retailers should engage in fast fashion or even encourage it. I believe that people can find nice clothes that are at an affordable price without using fast fashion brands. They could take time to find an item of clothing that they really like, from sustainable companies. I personally think its better to buy something slightly expensive that you really like, rather than buying something cheap and unsustainable. Items of clothing that are expensive are also usually excellent quality and you can wear them for a long time. I found from my own experience, that cheap clothes from fast fashion brands typically get worn out or damaged quickly. This means you will have to buy new clothes, and therefore in the long run fast fashion is not as cheap as a lot of people may think it is. They are almost never recyclable and this results in large amounts of landfill and waste. I have also found that clothes from actual physical shops and sustainable companies can be more unique and personal. A lot of clothes from fast fashion websites are quite similar. Like you have said, the production of fast fashion releases large amounts of carbon emissions, which seriously harms the environment and drastically increases levels of climate change. This is because large amounts of cheap fabrics have to be produced, which are often made from plastic, like polyester, which is one of the cheapest materials on the market (this is why it often dominates fast fashion production), which then causes the factories in which they are made to produce colossal amounts of greenhouse gases. Another reason why fast fashion is unethical, is because most fast fashion brands’ factories are located in places where people live in extreme poverty. The majority of fast fashion companies support and use child labour in their factories, where children are forced to work for long and hard hours. About 160 million children ages 5 to 17 around the world are engaged in child labour, working in jobs that deprive them of their childhood, and education and that harm their mental, physical, and social health. These jobs are often difficult and sometimes even physically demanding.

For all of these reasons, I strongly believe that fast fashion should be banned in all countries and that it should be considered a serious crime against the environment, and humanity. It is unethical and is immensely harmful to the environment and our planet.

1. As you said fast fashion might be cheap but since they get worn out easily you keep on buying new clothes to replace worn clothes. Are the fast fashion brands doing this purposely so that we can buy more clothes? I don't know.
        In Nigeria, our tranditional fashion attires are made from the fabrics purchased from the market and sewn by our local tailors. The design are unique and the fitting is custom made. We use these clothes until we out grow them then we hand them down to our younger family members or friends. Even if they get torn the tailor can fix them.
        Fast fashion should be banned and the companies should change to making higher quality clothes.

• i got 7/11 i didn't know some of them but hopefully i learn it soon

• I got 8 now i know some new things thanks

• I got 6 but I am happy I got 6

• My score was a 8, I learned that New Zealand banned selling tobacco products to anyone born after 2008.

• I scored a 7. I was able to learn that even our most frequent everyday things people do such as using non-recycle toilet paper, eat meat, and play on devices can leave carbon footprint.

• My score was a 7 and during this lesson I learned how much of an affect climate change can have on our lives in the near future. I also learned that the things we do in our normal life may have a bit of a small carbon footprint but it is still contributing to the world's carbon footprint. It truly shows how us as humans should start changing our behavior to save our earth or we can suffer or the people that are less fortunate will suffer even more due to climate change.

• I scored a 9 on the quiz and I have learned a lot about the Earth and how climate change is destroying it. I learned about how 1.2 billion people will be kicked out of their homes because of climate change. I do see an exploit with what New Zealand did to prevent cigarette emissions. The person born during or after 2008 could just ask someone born before 2008 to get the cigarettes for them.

• I scored a 9 on the quiz, and I am happy that I learned more about the carbon footprint we leave by doing small everyday things. Like using our phones for a long period and using non-recycled toilet paper, I also learned that our actions speed up climate change.

• In the quiz I scored a 7. A piece of information I learned is that in 2008 New Zeland government wanted to eliminate and slash the tobacco retailers by 2025.

• My final score was an 8. Even though I didn't get as I expected on the quiz, I learned more about carbon footprint and what causes most of it. I didn't know that beef and toilet paper was any form of carbon footprint and the usage of cars proves that people around the world need to cut down on driving cars every day of the week. I think it's important for people to know the ups and downs of carbon footprints so the earth can become better.

• i liked this quiz because it didn't about climate change :)

• i scored 8 is there any way to see what you did wrong?

1. Unfortunately not, you will only see your final score

• My score was 8 and I learned so much from this lesson

• In the quiz I scored 7 I am happy with this result because I felt that I learned a lot from this quiz and I will never forget it

• In the quiz I got 7, I learned in 2008 the New Zealand government wanted to ban all tabacco products which is a good thing because there bad for the environment but it probably affects many people.

• I scored a 7 and I also learnt that people's lives are highly vulnerable and they live in areas where they have lots of climate change.

• I suggest that people sholud be aware of the problems that are coming from the usage of plastics. Because now a days plastic is the main problem of the earth. The earth is all over covered with plastics and that plastics takes much time to decompose, so many plastics without decomposing it is directly going to the ocean. After it reaches the ocean many sea animals are eating it and dying. So plastics are the main problem. So this should be the piece of information that many people should know.
    THANK YOU.

• I got a 9, and I learned about the effects of our carbon footprint and how using everyday items hurts the environment. I also learned that climate change will force people out of their homes, cause additional deaths, and affect people's lives.

• I scored an 8 on the quiz, and I learnt that the climate on earth plays a huge role in everyone's life. I also learned a lot about carbon footprint, this lesson helped me to know a lot more than I already knew about earth, i'm interested to learn more!

• I scored a six on the quiz. From the lesson I learned 3 main things:
    1. Each individual human releases many tonnes of carbon by themselves.
    2. Many actions are being done in efforts to conserve and prevent more devastation.
    3. The ocean can absorb carbon itself.

• I want to learn how beef can increase the carbon footprints in the atmosphere. I really don't understand how it increases the carbon in atmosphere. Can anyone help me?

1. would you be able to find some evidence based research that supports the theory of an increased carbon footprint by the consumption of beef? Have you considered the agricultural production process or the methane that is emitted from the animals?

2. I think I could help you.

The more often people eat beef, the more cows farmers need to produce. Cows release high levels of methane (which is a greenhouse gas), mostly through burping/belching. As grass and other vegetation ferments in their stomach, it produces methane, as well as other byproducts. According to unep.org, “Livestock emissions – from manure and gastroenteric releases – account for roughly 32 per cent of human-caused methane emissions.” According to theguardian.com, “Cows and other farm animals produce about 14% of human-induced climate emissions, and it is methane from their burps and manure that is seen as both the biggest concern and best opportunity for tackling global heating.”

There have been multiple studies conducted on ways to reduce methane emission levels in cows. According to an extensive study conducted on cows in Straus Family Creamery, an organic dairy producer in Marin County, California, the addition of a seaweed-derived feed additive called Brominata in a cow’s diet has proved very effective in reducing the levels of methane produced by cows. Brominata is made of a red seaweed, Asparagopsis taxiformis, and is one of a class of feed additives that, when given to dairy cows, helps to reduce the amount of methane. The addition of the seaweed to the cows’ diets on the Straus dairy farm proved effective, showing an average of a 52 percent reduction in enteric methane emissions, with one cow’s emissions reduction as high as 92 percent.

Another study on ways to reduce methane emission levels in cows was conducted by researchers at an experimental farm run by Scotland's Rural College. According to cbsnews.com, “Researchers believe that they have found a way to satisfy the world's ever-growing appetite for beef, while also producing less methane. Rainer Roehe, a professor of animal genetics and microbiome at the college, has been studying the digestive process in cows and has found that microbiome at the college, believes that one cow is not like another. He's found that the microbes in their stomachs not only vary from cow to cow, they determine how much methane the cow produces. “

Interestingly, so far New Zealand has been the only country to pass legislation to cut greenhouse gas emissions from livestock. This is interesting because I have learned from the quiz that New Zealand has also banned people born after 2008 from ever buying cigarettes and tobacco products.

Hope this helped!

1. Thank you trusting_moose. It really cleared my doubt !
        But I again have this doubt.
        CO2 is also a greenhouse gas. As all living organisms emit CO2, it is emitted more than methane from cows. Do you know about any preventive measures to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere?

1. No problem active_moon!

Living organisms emit CO2 during respiration, or breathing. When they breathe in, they inhale oxygen. According to gml.noaa.gov, the oxygen then combines with food in the cells to produce energy for daily activity and then gives off carbon. The carbon combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide (CO2) and is released back into the atmosphere as a waste product when they exhale. This happens when people breathe as well.

The level of CO2 released into the atmosphere through respiration can be slightly to moderately decreased if we eat less meat. Just like methane levels in the atmosphere can be decreased by eating less beef. There will be a smaller demand for meat, therefore we will not need as many animals. Of course, humans, and animals that we don’t eat, like lions or hedgehogs, will still produce a lot of CO2. So how can we reduce the level of CO2? Unlike animals, trees absorb CO2, and then release oxygen into the atmosphere. This happens through a process called photosynthesis. The tree’s leaves absorb carbon dioxide and water and use the energy of the sun to convert this into chemical compounds, such as sugars, that feed the tree. Oxygen is then produced and released as a by-product of this chemical reaction. So a reasonably simple way to decrease the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere would be to plant more trees. Cutting down trees is really bad for the environment, because it destroys animals’ habitats and causes some animals to become endangered, or even go extinct. Cutting down trees is known as deforestation, and when trees are cut down they release the carbon dioxide they store into the atmosphere. According to wwf.org.uk, an organisation dedicated to protecting wildlife and our planet, forest loss and damage is the cause of around 10% of global warming. They say: “There's simply no way we can fight the climate crisis if we don't stop deforestation.” Also, if we cut down lots of trees, they won’t be able to absorb CO2 and produce oxygen anymore. According to ourworldindata.org and weforum.org, 10,000 years ago 57% of the world's habitable land was covered by forest. That's 6 billion hectares. Today, only 4 billion hectares are left. The world has lost one-third of its forest – an area twice the size of the United States. This is devastating and is having a colossal effect on global warming and climate change. We need to take action and make a change.

However, living organisms producing CO2 through respiration is not the big problem. Human activities such as the burning of oil, coal and gas, as well as deforestation are the primary cause of the increased carbon dioxide (and other greenhouse gases) concentrations in the atmosphere. According to che-project.eu, 87% of all human-produced carbon dioxide emissions come from the burning of fossil fuels like coal, natural gas and oil. The remainder results from the clearing of forests and other land use changes (9%), as well as some industrial processes such as cement manufacturing (4%). We could change this by using renewable energy more often, such as wind farms, solar panels, or tidal energy. We could also help change this by using electricity for light and heat instead of coal or gas. We should use plastic less often, and recycle everything we can. We should try to reduce the amount of paper we use.

According to greenschools.net, as you read the next paragraph, a forest area the size of 20 football fields will be lost for paper production use alone. This is an extremely large and upsetting statistic. We should try to reduce the amount of paper we use. Schools and offices are the largest contributors to paper waste. According to theworldcounts.com, 50% of the waste of businesses is composed of paper. Recycling 1 tonne of paper saves around 1400 liters of oil, 26,500 liters of water and 17 trees. Packaging makes up one third or more of our rubbish. We should take measures to reduce paper consumption and waste at home and in school. We should always recycle everything we can, and we could have a separate bin or box for paper waste. We done this in my old primary school, and we would put all our scraps in the paper waste box. We would do this after we done arts and crafts, or after we finished using sheets for work. Then, all of this paper got recycled.

We should print less sheets for school, but you might be thinking: “How do we do our work?”
          Well, we could use tablets or laptops instead. In my opinion, this would be a great and highly beneficial investment for schools. We could use online learning management systems like Google Classroom, or Seesaw. It would be used in a similar way as when we learned from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our school uses Chromebooks for online learning, and they are also very beneficial for research. We use Google Classroom.

According to greenschools.net, in landfill, where 80% of discarded paper ends up, the decomposition of paper produces methane, a greenhouse gas with 21 times the heat-trapping power of carbon dioxide. The EPA cites landfills as the single largest source of methane emissions to the atmosphere (meaning it also produces more methane than cows do!) with paper representing about 38% of the municipal solid waste stream. Within schools the percentage of paper in the waste stream is even higher, almost 50%! If we were to recycle the paper we use, it could be reused and recycled over and over again. We wouldn’t need as much paper, which means that we wouldn’t need to cut down as many trees!

As you can see, living organisms naturally producing greenhouse gases are not the main problem. Most of the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere come from human activity, such as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation. According to eea.europa.eu, greenhouse gas concentration levels in the atmosphere have increased during the 20th century and the first part of the 21st century, mainly as a result of human activities. The increase has been particularly rapid since 1950. Around 1970, the carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration in the atmosphere reached a level of 50 ppm above the pre-industrial level of more than 200 years ago. There are so many small and simple individual or household changes we can make to help slow down global warming, like using less paper, recycling more often, eating less meat, and walking or cycling when possible. All we need to do is consider the planet, and make that change. We need to stop thinking about it and take action.

Again, I really hope this helps :)

• I scored 7 in the quiz. I am satisfied because I have learned so much interesting information from this quiz. I was intrigued about the fact that that New Zealand has banned people born after 2008 from ever buying cigarettes and tobacco products. I think other countries should consider this as well. So many people struggle with addiction to cigarettes and tobacco and I think there would be a much smaller chance of young people becoming addicted too if they weren’t legally allowed to buy cigarettes and tobacco products. According to cdc.gov, cigarette smoking is responsible for around 480,000 deaths a year.

I have learned much more about our carbon footprint and how so many simple everyday things can produce so much CO2. I learned that making small and manageable changes can help prevent or slow down global warming and protect the planet. Even something as simple as eating large amounts of beef, or spending lots of time on your computer can affect levels of greenhouse gasses and harm the environment. I would love to learn even more about our individual carbon footprints and what small steps we can take to protect our planet.

• I received a 9 on the quiz, what I would like to know more about is the law in New Zealand about banning people born 2008 and up not being able to buy cigarettes, I think this is an intelligent idea.

• Do you know why is earth day celebrated? Is that the day of awareness about the climatic changes? I asked this question because yesterday was the earth day celebrated and my teacher talked mostly about the awareness.
    THANK YOU.

• In the quiz above I scored a 10 and I am proud of that because now I know that New Zealand became the world's first country to ban smoking for future generations , 1.2 billion people were forced out of their homes because of climate change and that between 2030 and 2050 climate change is expected to cause approximately 150,000 additional deaths per year. Also, I would like to learn if eating a large cheeseburger (beef) twice a month for a year creates a bigger carbon footprint than using non-recycled toilet paper for a year and if using a computer 59 hours per week for a year creates a bigger carbon footprint than driving 8,000km (about 22km per day) with a car per year in an average petrol car .

• On the recap quiz, I got a 7. From this lesson, I learned about carbon footprints, and how even minimal things can produce a lot of carbon and can cause damage.

• My score is 8, i'm pretty suprised. I didn't know it would be 8, but not only that, it was 2 points away from goaling a score of 10.

• I scored 9. I learnt a lot when my class did the Earth Day lesson. I enjoyed learning about carbon footprints.

• i have finished the quiz and i got a 9 out of 10 this was really fun and is a challenging thing to do i can`t wait to look at some more information on here .

• I made an 8 however, to be honest I already did it with my class so of what I learned that eating beef can release CO2 because of cooking it I think and I did not know a car can release that much gas, I just look at the gas and said "That is just a little bit of smoke, it can't hurt the earth that much."

• In the quiz, I scored 6 I think i could have done better but hey i did great for my first time

• My final score was of 6, and although it could have been much better, I know that this will encourage me to research more about climate change, and how does it affect our society. I am sure that for the next time I will obtain a higher score!

• In the quiz i have scored 6 , i have learnt about the rule New Zealand put stopping people of their country born before 2008 from buying ciggarrets and tobacco substances in order to control air pollution

1. I agree because... Yes, in order to preserve air pollution, cigarettes and cars that emit smoke must be prevented. Other than that, they care about the health of some people, and so the country is clean, like many countries.

• In the stupendous and fantastic quiz, I got an 8. I learnt that eating a large cheeseburger(twice a year) has an even more abysmal influence on our beloved environment. Moreover, cigarette and e-cigarette waste can pollute soil, beaches, and waterways. This is dreadful because it could contract the proportion of dioxygen in the air. Also, I want to assimilate what other threats attack the environment in a very perilous way. Why do people throw rubbish into the River Thames?

• I got a 5 on the test. I have learned a lot from it. I have come to discover that environmental change is a major issue on the planet. Things that cause environmental change incorporate air contamination, water contamination and land contamination and a host part of different things. Stop cutting down trees, burning bushes, and reducing our carbon footprint are some ways to prevent this from happening. Reducing the number of cars on the road is one way we can reduce our carbon footprint, especially in Lagos State. Commutators can join government-possessed public vehicles as opposed to driving their vehicles to work. We are aware that the traffic situation in Lagos State is stressful and exhausting due to the long wait times in traffic.