Stereotypes

We've seen Topical Talkers share stereotypes in several Hub discussions.

• Icon-Mechanic

"Men are better mechanics."

• Icon-Caring

"Women are more caring."

• Icon-Maths

"Boys are better at maths."

Stereotypes are bad because you might think they are facts rather than biased opinions. If you hear or see the same stereotypes a lot, you might start to believe them.

Sometimes they make people lower their expectations of themselves or live within imaginary boundaries of what they can and can’t do. For example, as a girl, you might start to believe you're not as good as maths – just because you're a girl. Or as a boy, you might think you're better at maths – just because you're a boy. In reality, gender is not something that makes you good or bad at maths at all!

Comments (90)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I personally believe gender stereotypes have developed over decades. My generation is slowly fighting against the stereotypes. When I speak of stereotypes I mean things like women being portrayed weakly and submissive in movies or TV-shows or men being forced to act emotionless meaning they’re not supposed to cry or similar things.
    I think we should fight these stereotypes by not reinforcing them and accepting other types of people like strong opinionated women or rather emotional men.
    In general, we should be more accepting and open towards changes.

1. I agree because Gender stereotypes have been prevalent since ancient times, and it is not fair. For instance, bike advertisements only feature men, and they do not employ women because they are considered weak and emotional. We should not believe in these stereotypes and work towards breaking free from them."

1. I agree with you because in my country, it is a new thing to see a woman riding a bike. There was a time I saw a woman riding a motorbike but she quickly went down when she realized that almost everyone is starring at her. I think that it is time to fight against gender stereotypes. Some women are not outspoken because they think that whenever they suggests an idea, their ideas are considered to weak. Women should stand for themselves and get some support from men.

1. Hello optimistic_meteor!!!
          I personally agree with you because majority of people who ride bikes are men you hardly find a woman riding a bike or driving a public car in my own country. I strongly agree with this particular point you've made 'WOMEN SHOULD STAND FOR THEMSELVES AND GET SOME SUPPORT FROM MEN'. Why i say this is because women have been staying under the shadow of men. What i mean by this is women rely to much on men and that is very bad because men end up disappointing them and they do not have a say on that. Anything you desire as long as you work towards achieving it you get. Women do not always have to be on the sidelines.
          THANK _YOU!!!

2. I agree with your opinion because it always happen and it is not fair.Because people think that women are not good in a lot of things.Also if things like this keeps going on women will not be represented in most of the things or activities.Just because they think that women are weak. It is just been gender basis to women which is not fair,mother's are caring but some are strong.

3. I agree with you because there is a lot a gender stereotypes in my country such as women should be in the kitchen while men should pay bills, associates some occupations such as childcare providers and nurses with women and pilots and engineers with men. We should not believe this stereotypes and work hard to stop them.

4. I strongly disagree with you, I say this because women also engage in advertisement that men do. For example, I was watching something on my phone and when an advert popped up , it was about phoenix a new app I saw a lady was driving a bike and promoting her job, I understand where you are coming from but now that gender inequality has been addressed more women are being encouraged to engage in jobs that men are well known for.

5. I agree with you because as people begin to see a particular stereotype over and over again they will begin to believe it. The problem with stereotypes is that they often come as facts. I think that stereotypes shouldn't be seen as facts for example" boys are better at math" and the stereotype "girls are better cooks" those stereotype are definitely not true because the person that wrote this stereotype hasn't seen everyone in the world to test who is better . I think that people shouldn't write stereotypes in the fist place because they do not know who would read it in the future.

2. I agree with you highspirited_mulberry, because I have seen these stereotypes in my life and it is not fair for everyone who is affected by it. Just like the examples you have shown it shows how they are affected and it should be fought against and not be accepted.

3. I agree with this because people have human rights and people have choices and can be whoever they want to be

1. I agree with because people have rights and make their choices by following the law of the country and there can whoever there can be. But in other hand, Women should have a right in the country more than men.

4. Hello,
      I totally concur with your valid and compelling perspective and I also believe that stereotypes have started to develop rapidly over the last few decades. Our generation has made several steps into their elimination, but this discriminations are yet to be vanished.
      People mustn't trigger stereotypes and they mustn't believe that they are facts when in reality they are just biased opinions. Besides everyone can do anything because of their charisma not because the stereotypes say so.

5. I agree because some people generally do not accept people who are different especially when it comes to stereotypes. There is a widespread belief that boys are stronger than girls. but this is not true because when it comes to lower body strength, girls and boys are matched but i cannot say the same for upper body strength. Nevertheless, with training, this stereotype can be diminished. Stereotypes also affect the society at large because the more women believe stereotypes, the les their potential is shown for example, it has been found that females tend to perform better on tests of verbal abilities and processing speed and females also have more endurance. events like ultra-trail running, males may complete them faster but females are considerably less tired by the end. in essence, I feel that stereotypes are wrong and we should make efforts to reduce stereotypes by all means.

6. I agree that gender stereotypes are bad. They have been reinforced the years that we have come to believe and see them as the truth and these are beginning to shape generation yet unborn. There must be deliberate effort in breaking the system. People must be accepted for who they are and the way the express themselves must be respected.
      I have some of my classmates, girls who are very good with numbers, so i wonder why people think boys are good with Mathematics while girls are not.
      I think, it is very unfair to classify people based on their gender.

7. I agree with you. This has been going on for a long while now and I believe that it is still going on in some places. We really need to fight against the stereotype because if can affect lots of people in many different ways and can be very difficult for them.
      We have instances like girls are better than boys in cooking because they are girls and it is part of their duties but as we have it today, it is a man that is better in cooking world wide.
      In conclusion, we should not believe in this instead give people the opportunity to prove themselves .

8. Hi,highsprited_mulberry
      I completely agree with you because stereotypes have been around for decades and are developing in many ways and is still developing .I think we should fight these stereotypes like you said by reinforcing them and i also i feel stereotypings are gradually expanding, and so we should also look towards some changes THANK YOU 🌸💐🌹💮🏵

9. I agree with you, the various forms of media who display women as submissive or weak and men as emotionless are the reason many still believe in stereotypes and gender biases. Its is very important that we accept everyone be it an emotional man or an opiniated women. Women should be accepted in the so called 'male roles' such as a woman confidently leading a project and a man on the team expressing his concerns with genuine emotion.

10. I absolutely agree with your persective and I also believe that discriminations should be eliminated. People should be positive towards someone different and they should accept everyone without a single exception. In my view, I think that there are stereotypes and in other things like sports where women are thought to be worse than men, depite this statement being false, like being the leader of a country and in the context of work. This has to be changed urgently.

• I think stereotypes are a big problem in this generations because people sometimes mistake stereotypes as the reality which causes problems in society.Sometimes people degrade themselves or think they are below other people because of a certain stereotype.Such as:'Men are better than women','pink is for girl and blue is for boys' or 'white people are better than black people'.In the media and tv shows women are mostly portrayed as the weak caring role or an all rounder who can take care of her family and work life perfectly.Also girls in school are expected to wear skirts and have long hair.Men are usually expected to do the more of the laborious
    and heavy duty work,while women are supposed to do the gentle jobs like nursing,carer or be a housewife.

1. I completely agree, stereotypes have become more a part of our everyday society which will lead us to face many problems in both the near and far future. These short and indirect comments lead to people stereotyping without them even knowing.
      The way we can fix this is by calling people out when they say these things, so they then won't say it again in the future. This will hopefully leave room, so we can try and demolish these unfair stereotypes.

1. I agree with your opinion because this has created lots of chaos and discouraged great minds into believing that certain things are meant for others or other genders like women do not see themselves as capable doing things like certain jobs which are male dominated like politics, pilots etc. Some of the stereotypes only increase gender inequality which has created lots of problems in the society by believing in these fake and unreasonable believes in our society. Also it will cause riot and corruption in our society.
        THANK YOU.

2. I agree with you on calling out people who unconsciously think one gender is better than the other, especially women. We need to deliberately challenge this school of taught because it has formed the mindset of the coming generation and this is not good for the development of the girl-child in particular who grows up believing her place is in the kitchen.
        A president of one African country alluded that the place of the wife is in the kitchen and this drew a lot of media attention. Someone with such a mindset would not make gender-balanced policies and people like that should not be allowed to lead.
        By whatever mean, this stereotype has to be challenged.

2. I totally agree. In most of the movies and shows, women are not given the main role, mostly they work as side actors, and they are portrayed as someone kind. They are also shown to build a perfect environment for the family and for each person in the family.

3. Hi charismatic heart.
      I agree with your opinion. it is true that stereotypes are becoming a big problem in the society and this stereotypes are mostly on gender. You are right, sometimes people classify things and jobs based on gender for example in my country people think only men can drive a motorcycle and women are the ones who cook, clean, and do other chores in the house or only women should work in the nursery school because they believe that women are better at taking care of children of that age group. But it is not supposed to be like that. If we allow stereotypes in our world we will have lot of sayings and believes that aren't true which will discourage people from giving their best to a particular thing because of the beliefs of people around them.
      We should not allow stereotypes continue but fight against it.

• Stereotypes have been part of society for centuries and because of them people think they are less than . Personally, I think stereotypes only do harm specially in this context . Society often think that women can not do physical jobs or get payed as much and think that men can not do some jobs like nursing or carer . The new generation is pushing off the stereotypes and the misogynistic views against women but there's still some progress to be made .

1. Can you tell me how you think people should challenge such stereotypes?

1. Since the beginning of time a lot of people have supported various stereotypes, many generations have been born and grew up with these stereotypes, they have even existed for so long some people even begin to believe they are facts, but it is high time we made a change. We can oppose these stereotypes when one or more of us begins to stand up, prove these stereotypes wrong by rising up to the challenge and performing the tasks most people say are meant for certain genders or certain people. As said by Edward Irving Koch former mayor of New York City '' Stereotypes lose their power when the world is found to be more complex than the stereotype would suggest. When we learn that individuals do not fit the group stereotype, then it begins to fall apart.'' When we rise up to the challenge and begin to show the rest of the world that we are more than the groups we have been placed into and we are more than the stereotypes that have been placed in society then little by little the stereotypes will begin to fall apart.

2. I think the best way to challenge such stereotypes is to prove them wrong. Nobody, absolutely nobody's life should be bound by stereotypes. I feel that it is very wrong for a society to limit people's achievement based merely on assumption and belief.
        To challenge stereotypes, one has to stand up to them. We have to show that we are more than what people limit us to, and that we can achieve whatever we want to.
        In my country, for example, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti. She was the first Nigerian woman to drive a car, in 1951. At that time, the roles of women in the society were mostly confined to domestic and caretaking duties. The other, more prominent roles in society were for men. For her to take up driving, something that no Nigerian woman had ever done, she must have been bold. She was tired of the stereotype, so she challenged it. She set the ball rolling, and now, in Nigeria, women everywhere are driving. The most important thing is to believe. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

3. Hello Eva,
        Happy International Women's Day.
        In my opinion I think both men and women should challenge such stereotype by improving to society that men and women can be anything they what be. Looking stereotypes at face and saying, "No I can be anything", can also help both women and men express themselves. In my opinion I think both men and women should ignore the comments and do what they love, this can help encourage young boy and girls of our generations they can be endless possibilities if you believe. I think there should more activities and
        TV shows that can help show young boys that "Yes, I be a dancer just like Matthew Culter and showing young girls that "Yes I be a famous footballer just like Lauren James. In my opinion I think stereotypes is just a barrier blocking both men and women from becoming what they want to be.

4. There are ways stereotypes can be challenged;
        1. Equal opportunity during interview sessions rather than deciding that one gander is better than the other.
        2. Examination in school is already a challenge to checking stereotypes since all ganders write the same examination in schools.
        3. I think another way to solve stereotypes is having everyone is entitled to every any occupation they want.
        I think in conclusion, schools have major role to play in challenging stereotypes by deliberately speaking up about equality in life and find a way to weave it into the fabric of their curriculum.

• I think that if you want to stop the spread of stereotypes, you should start spreading the word. Why? Because the more people that spread awareness, the more chance of others not being stereotypical about things . However, not all stereotypes are bad. I am saying this because sometimes we fulfil those stereotypes. For example, there's stereotypes that kids from a certain country do better than kids from another.

1. I feel a stereotype like that may force those children into following them blindly without actually wanting it, it could lead to emotional problems among them and aside from that the children who are considered as less may feel deeply saddened that just because someone is from a different country than them automatically makes them smarter. It is the level of education and not the country of birth that guides some ones mind, John Dewey explains how saying "as the process of the reconstruction of experience, giving it a more socialized value through the medium of increased individual efficiency".

2. I totally agree because, some people don't care about stereotypes and they sometimes just take the action as that is something normal to do, so if people start spreading the word with facts and emotions, I think it will be a success to stop stereotypes. I agree that not all stereotypes are negative, since we complete some of those stereotypes.

1. Hi fiery_ lute.
        I disagree with you in the sense that, you mentioned that some of these stereotypes are positive, however, the case is that most of them are not true. We cannot continue spreading false stereotypes around and the most shocking thing is that although it might be positive, it can lead to someone's disadvantage which is not equally fair so I think that for someone to fabricate a stereotype, proper research should be done to approve it or better still, stereotypes can just be banned. Lastly, I think that it will take a long time before real stereotypes gets to everyone and it will obviously lead to someone's disadvantage so then it should just be forgotten about to ensure equality between genders, professions, etc.
        Thank you!

• I think that sometimes, we reinforce stereotypes in an unconcious way , as for example , when we think about a little girl or we see a little girl in the street, we associate her with dolls, the colour pink, kitchen , houses, etc. The same happens when we see a little boy or we think about one , we instantly associate him with action figures, colour blue, sports, dangerous activities or processions, etc.
    Something we could do to stop the spread of stereotypes is showing through media and other types of communications that this is a wrong idea and stereotypes are just a way to identify a large group of people or objets in a general way, eventhough even if you are involved in a group of people, everyone there is different, not only in a physical but also in the way of thinking, feeling, and also their personalities change depending on the person. Not everyone thinks as you, or like the same things as you and that is perfect, because if everyone thinks the same things as you , others perspectives of live will not be asked and it is necessary to have different opinions.
    If I spot a stereotype in a Hub comment, I would tell that person the phrase or sentence where it has identified something as an stereotype and I would ask why it has written that and not other thing or why it has identified one gender with that and not the other gender.

1. Stereotype is something that we grow up with it's something that have been constantly injected inside us. Children's are like unshaped clay and it's your duty as a member of the society or as parents to shape them however you dare to. But the problem is that we live in a society where we assume everything . Where free individuals but think for a moment are we really free , Because we are always expected to do certain jobs, like as a girl you should help your mom clean the house, play with dolls, talk in a soothing voice, be shy and cute etc. And as a boy you are expected to play with cars help your dad in the garage go for running playing Soccer and more. Whenever this particular preference we have because of our gender deviates even slightly from these specific stereotypes, we become weirdos. That is the problem. Yes biologically men and women are different and these particular stereotypes does sometimes come from that biological Bond but it doesn't mean that you cannot be different and you should be Limited . Stereotype is a huge problem it does not only keeps us limited but it also Affects our self esteem. So I think it's important to break the stereotypes and be aware of your preference and be open minded

• Hello,
    Stereotypes have existed for many centuries.
    I think that the younger generations are constantly trying to decrease and eventually stop these stereoypes, which of course is a good thing. A very characteristic example of a stereotype is that women are weaker or not as smart and capable as men, or that a slimmer man is inferior to a more fitted one. However, it has been proved that these "statements" are incorrect, and the only thing left to do is some people to actually accept this. I strong believe that when an offensive comment based of a stereotype is made, all of us should try to take action.
    In conclusion, it is important we start accepting people for who they are and it is crucial that the next generations will continue fighting in order to put an end to stereotypes.

1. This is so right! Women are always seen to be lower whereas men are always superior. From the beginning it has always been like this and mindsets have adapted to this. It has been unfair from the beginning and we need to make a change.

1. I agree with jubilant harmonica because women are always seen more lower while men are always seem superior. In my country women are always seen as inferior and men are always seen as superior. there is a big gap of inequality between men and women. And in Nigeria women are always seen as housewives and there is even jobs for only men like: politics, banking, driving, carpentry, scientists etc. while but women do jobs like: baking, cooking and even seen to be full time house wives. We need to break this and encourage women to participate fully in all the jobs that are male dominated because I feel some women have great potentials to do better than some male if given the opportunity
        THANK YOU!

2. i do agree these stereotypes are tradition and believes that has been past down from generations but i think in our modern day world gender inequality is the basic foundation for stereotypes often in different countries two or one of the genders may be facing inequality and the different gender think they are better than the other one then liken the situation to stereotypes the other gender thinks that they are better than the other, in different countries the different genders may be denied of there rights mainly because of the stereotypes. in politics women do not participate in politics for any tittle mainly because of the stereotypes and gender inequality when someone interferes or denies someone of their rights than that persons right is meant to be taken away but in the society of today no course of action or law is taken.

• I think that stereotype somethimg that is inside us thet we need to change,but is very difgicult because we have this very interiorized son we do It without thinking at all.With the pass of the time this have gone better but there still a lot of people that do no control their stereotypes

• I completely agree! Stereotypes are bad because we are exposed to the same repetitive stereotypes 24/7! As a result, our mind starts warping itself around these statements, believing them to be facts.
    A common cause of depression is continuous exposure to depressing statements, because our mind then releases self-depreciating hormones. So to say, our mind is VERY powerful! it can mould reality according to whatever it commences believing in...
    Continuous exposure to stereotypes is likely to convince us that we're not good enough indeed! And once that happens, we'll actually stop being good enough, because our mind has decided to shape it's future that way...
    It's no surprise therefore that society affects a lot of us.
    An ambitious, ruthless woman will soften, because she believes she is obliged to be caring, cuz "Women are caring".
    Are these stereotypes really harmful? YES! Because they are widespread. The masses believe them and it's hard not to trust majority... They make us forget who we really are. We change ourselves to match the societal definitions...
    "Every human is wrong. The one who is right, is the one who is less wrong" Let's tone it down...If we can't get rid of these stereotypes, let's reduce our belief in them. What we say, affects someone else, maybe negatively. Let's stop believing in gender stereotypes little by little. And maybe one day, we'll end up formulating the Eutopia of complete equality...

• I think that proving stereotypes wrong is a good way to prove the people that created them wrong. There is no good stereotype for anybody. To stop the spread of several stereotypes people should do whatever they please to with their life to be unique from anyone.

1. Hi placid night,
      I strongly agree with you because I think to stop the spread of several stereotypes people should not say what that feel ,think and belief about ,if not it would be like they are using their own knowledge to give other people what the think and feel about stereotypes. I also agree with you that stereotypes wrong is a good way to prove the people that created them wrong which means the person that made stereotypes should be proved wrong by doing this; for instance, a typical African stereotype is that 'women are the weaker vessels and their place is in the kitchen and home'. Most African women have done so well for themselves and have taken up even jobs that are male dominated and they some even do it way better than their male counterparts. In my country Nigeria, we have Ngozi Okonjwela who defied all odds and is not the DG of WTU.
      THANK YOU!!!

• there is no real way to stop stereotypes for good there will always be some person trying to spread fake rumors around

• I think that stereotypes have been around for a very long time, but now this generation is trying to decrease the amount of stereotypes there is, for an example in a movie a woman is 'dumb' because she is blonde and that's a stereotype.

1. That's a great comment! How do you think we can rid society of stereotypes? What other ones can you think of?

• I personally think stereotypes have become a really big problem and we need to fix it men usually stereotype woman for example they say they are stronger , or pink is for girls and blue is for boys , and another one that we hear a lot is " men are better than woman " and a lot of people think as woman in the media or tv shows that they portrayed as a weak role and doesn't care or that they are to lazy or that they have to stay at home and take care of their children" for their perfect life ". Woman also get a lot of hate for wearing to much makeup or less makeup or that they need to dress appropriate or that they also need to wear inappropriate clothes and that makes woman really confused and sometimes they even surfer from mental health problems .

Thank you.

1. Great comment! Can you think of any other stereotypes?

1. The society we live in has made stereotyping seem normal, these standards or conventional ideas have been with us for so long we even unconsciously begin to deem them fit. An example of these common stereotypes that the society has adopted is that women are permitted to show emotion, but men should not show their emotions because it is a sign of weakness. As shocking as it might seem in some cultures it is even a taboo for men to cry but this is totally unfair and biased because everyone whether male or female has emotions, and they deserve to express their emotions whenever they deem it fit. Crying doesn't mean you are weak, neither does it counter one's masculinity. It is okay for everyone to cry whether male or female. Also, if we go according to the stereotype that men should not express emotion, how exactly will we know when they are going through emotional problems they will just continue to die in silence and no one will know just because of some standards that have been placed by society

2. Yes, these are one of the main stereotypes that have been around for the longest time. It was always women being "too much" or not "enough". Women have always been a stay at home and would be considered housewives. Women are usually the ones doing the "easy work" while men do the "harder work".

1. This is totally true because, a lot of people think that women are really inadequate. An instance could be seen in my country, lots of women have been subjected to being in the second place even at the job front. take for instance in the security environment, a man will be given the front line because they believe that her physical strength is inadequate. It is really not fair because everyone has the right to do and be whoever the want and who said a woman must be at the second place and not at the frontline?
        I know for certain that women are hard workers and can excel anywhere they find their selves! women are good people and they should be allowed to show that the can be thrive at odder jobs that men are doing, women should go out and work not just to be housewives.
        THANK YOU!

• There are multiple stereotypes because of our own actions. The stereotypes we make are based on what we have seen in our own daily lives. Most people know that what they are about to say is stereotypical, but say it anyways. What others and myself can do is not to think how we see things and how others would feel when we say that.

• I personally believe that when dealing with a problem such as stereotypes, we should face it head-on because stereotypes are nothing but baseless assumptions about both gender and especially in Ghana, although people are trying to have an open-mind, they still believe in many stereotype such as 'girls cant play sports', 'boys cant cook ' and many more and I think that if we want to stop the spread of stereotypes, we should engage in activities that are 'meant for boys' as females and vice versa because a lot of talent has been killed because of stereotypes. I also think that if we want to be well respected and recognized countries, then we have to abolish any form of stereotypes or bullying based on gender.

1. I agree, if we want to bring stereotypes to an end, then we should take a stand, and let others know, that there stereotypes can't affect us or present generation, it's only affecting them, because they are constantly repeating and discouraging themselves. I strongly feel, that if people understand the significance of women is equal as men, they can build a peaceful society. I don't understand why people think that women are ought to look after their families, if it is a work of women then it is of men too!

• Sometimes, our actions can unintentionally support stereotypes by making assumptions about people based on their race, gender, or other characteristics. To combat stereotypes, people should actively question and challenge these assumptions. For instance, one could speak up when hearing a stereotype or educate others about the harm stereotypes can cause. If you notice a stereotype in a comment, it is important to address it respectfully and provide factual information to challenge those beliefs. By taking these steps, we can help break down stereotypes and promote a more inclusive and understanding society.

• I just don't know but, the way the issues has been going on since about discrimination of women, women being weaker, women seen as the weaker gender because they are very emotional, they react differently to situation than the men. So, it is like this thought went around to everybody like a spirit, this went to people's head and created a mentality in their mind. So, therefore, this mentality were created in the minds of men, this led to thinking their are more stronger than their women. So, it was reinforced due to the past of people, their action created a very bad impact on the future people. This was another factor that sometimes reinforce stereotypes. So, with that, the solution is to educate the people, teachers and guardians should educate the future leaders to have better impact in the future.

1. I also believe that stereotype is the root cause of gender inequality as many people believe that specific jobs are only meant for a particular gender, which is not true. In my locality people find it strange when they see a woman riding a motorcycle all Doing jobs that are typically associated with men.
      However if my family my parents are trying to fight against such stereotypes. Although I am a boy I help with household chores like washing dishes, cleaning the house, cooking and doing laundry. Whenever guests see us doing these chores they tell us to stop saying that it is a woman's job. But my parents always remind them that anyone can do any job regardless of their gender.
      So we as people need to stop stereotype right from home and then it will extend to the outside society.

1. Well said.

Gender inequality is often perpetuated by stereotypes that suggest certain jobs are reserved for specific genders, a notion that is incorrect. In my community, there is surprise when women engage in activities like motorcycle riding or occupations traditionally associated with men. My family is actively combatting these stereotypes. Despite being male, I assist with household tasks such as washing dishes, cleaning, cooking, and laundry. Guests sometimes comment that these chores are typically women's duties, but my parents challenge this belief by emphasizing that any individual can perform any task, irrespective of gender. It is imperative for us to eradicate stereotypes starting from within our homes, leading to broader societal change.

• In my belief, gender stereotypes exist from the ancient times, and were evolving over the years. I do think that those stereotypes can be refered as a part of racism. By saying for example that "men are better than driving" or "women are better at cooking" we are underestimating the opposite gender, which is unethical. It is better to say that anyone can get any skill they fight for, than compare the two genders just from a skill average that doesn't really matter in life. Generally, it's better to not criticize someones skill from their gender.

• In my opinion I strongly disagree to stereotypes, everybody is unique his/her own ways whether in sports or academics. If women want to boxers they can be boxer or if men want be dancers they can be dancers , don't listen to what other think of you and don't let them plant this mindset that men should businesses men and women should be housewives, be your own person and do what love. Here in Ghana many men and women going through stereotypes a lot, men always have in their mind that have to businessmen, police officers, soldiers or any our job that require them to show that they domineering, but job like dancing , singing and jobs that allows them to express their talent is forbidden, same for women , they are not allowed to be boxers because they think women are weak, or not allowed to run a mining businesses because people think women don't have the capability and skills. This unfair and it strongly affects the next generation, in my opinion I think both men/women should ignore these stereotypes , if doing these jobs and make up happy , then look stereotype at the face and say "NO I can be anything". The stereotype on the Hub comment that say "Boys are better in math", I disagree because girls can also be better in math and some boys can come for lesson and explanation from a girls, in my opinion I think stereotypes is barrier to many men and women who want to follow there dreams, and only way to stop stereotypes is follow your dreams and ingoring the criticisms.

1. I agree because there are many taleneted people who are out there in the world who are forced back because they dont fit the stereotype that society has given to them, there are many boys out there who want to become singers or dancers but they know that if they do they wont fit the stereotype and might end up getting bullied for it. Same thing goes for girls so many girls want to do things that dont fit their stereotype but they can't because the world won't accept them for who they are, but from they way I see it and how the world is developing, sterotypes are slowly going down and the world is coming to accept people for who they are now.

2. Hello zestful_artic_fox, I agree with you because everyone could do anything they want to do even if they put their time and dedication into it even with the harsh stereotypes around whenever it is with a women or men they are still waiting around.

• Stereotypes oftentimes have an impact on people's choice of career.This issue could be challenged by a more neutralized language when talking about certain jobs and at the same time encourage all genders to make their choice according to their interests and wishes for their own future,instead of following the stereotypes of society.

• I think the characters of gender are sometimes being restricted by language, when saying a person is "girly" or "boyish". But what supposes to be “boyish”? Which kind of act should be identified as girly? We can say a man is careful and emotional, we can say a woman is strong and rough, and terms of words shouldn’t limit female’s or male’s feature.
    I would also say colors are also one of the aspects which reinforce gender stereotypes. For instance, girls’ color should be pink and boys’ color should be blue. However, this situation is improving in our generation, “International Day of Pink” is the best evidence. This is an event which support a boy who wore pink shit was bullied, since then everyone would wear pink at that day, in order to speak up for them. Even though it is an anti-bullying event, but still this reflect from the side, that people are being more aware of gender stereotypical topics and are trying to fight against it.

• Hello
    I think stereotypes are a big problem because many people of my age still think that women are better at taking care of little kids, and that men are the only ones who can teach math or build cars. But I think that little by little we are improving and there is more gender equallity, because stereotypes are disappearing.
    I think that for stopping stereotypes, TV programmes for kids could help by introducing new characters such us woman being mechanics, men being babysitters, or girls playing with trucks and boys dancing ballet.

• I solemnly disagree with stereotypes; being stereotyped is just a way to overlook a person based on their gender, race, tribe, etc. Yes, being stereotyped is not only between genders. In my country, Ghana, there is a stereotype that claims that girls should know how to cook and manage a house, and they shouldn't take their education seriously as they are likely to be housewives, while boys, on the other hand, should study hard and find a job as they will be the faces of the earth. This is just a stereotype between genders. In Ghana, stereotypes have been used in various cultural settings and permeate many aspects of everyday life. Racial or ethnic stereotypes are often used to describe or differentiate between groups of people in Ghana. For example, a common stereotype is that Hausas, who are one of the largest ethnic groups in Ghana and are predominantly Muslim, are lazy, and all they do is eat Waakye, a popular Ghanaian dish, and sleep during the day. Another popular stereotype is that people from the Ashanti region, the most populous region in Ghana, are greedy. Such stereotypes have not only defined how these groups of people are perceived but have also shaped how they interact with each other in Ghana, not to mention the many households in my country that use this stereotype training in raising their kids. One thing I'd like to see in my country is equality for all and an appreciation of citizens, tribes, and races in my country; hence, I disagree with all the stereotypes on the hub. Girls can become math teachers if they want; most boys I know are very caring, and women in my school help fix the school buses when they break down. So, there's no shame in appreciating the progress or success of both genders. It doesn't have to be one.

• For me I believe that gender stereotypes are getting better over time for example according to phys.org A new study finds that gender stereotypes are as strong today as they were 30 years ago, and that people are even more likely now to believe that men avoid "traditional" female roles. This research is out today in Psychology of Women Quarterly (PWQ).
    And if people keep saying them the are going to make some people believe them

• I believe people should challenge stereotypes by Identifying their own stereotypes, educate themselves about diversity, and engage with diverse people and perspectives.

1. I agree with you but the issue sometimes is that people don't realise that they are buying into a stereotype so are not able to educate themselves because they don't realise they need to learn. Stereotypes must be challenged but there are many people who grew up being told something, which they will now see as the truth rather than a stereotype. For example, if you were raised by a family who believed men and women had certain roles, you may not realise that this is not right and may find it hard to be challenged on this. I think people our age now are much better at challenging certain stereotypes like gender inequality, but still have some way to go with other stereotypes that may be linked to sexuality or culture. I think this needs to be tackled from all angles - educations, social media, the media, government, parents etc... This can make sure that, over time, many of the stereotypes are not passed on and then, as you said, people can start to engage with diverse people and perspectives.

• I totally agree that we hear different stereotypes almost everyday and most of us might have considered these stereotypes as genuine facts. These stereotypes are really dangerous for our society and therefore we should try to avoid these as well as try to break them, the perfect solution for which is to challenge these stereotypes by scientific facts. For example by showing the scientific results that mathematics has nothing to do with gender we can break this stereotype.

• I think our actions might sometimes reinforce stereotypes by making programs in schools based on gender, for example some schools may host some extra activities like clubs or programs for example cooking or mechanics and restrict it to only one gender like for the cooking they may say it is only for girls and the mechanics is only for boys even though if a boy wants to learn how to cook or a girl wants to know how to fix cars, and this can influence children who are in the clubs by making them believe in the stereotype that women are better at cooking and men are better at mechanics since they don’t see any other gender in each club.
    I think people can challenge stereotypes by asking for proof that a specific gender is better at something than another gender or by challenging the people by giving examples of people who excel in the activity were they say a specific gender is better at it than the opposite gender.

• It is very clear that gender stereotypes have always existed. But just because they have been around for a long time, doesn't make it right. The belief that germs didn't exist was around for quite a while but that doesn't mean germs don't exist. Gender stereotypes happen to everyone many boys are affected by stereotypes like a well known phrase "boys don't cry" and girls with the phrase "women belong in the kitchen". Statements like these tell children that they aren't allowed to show emotion or that they have to do certain things just because of the way they were born. This is harmful and can change children's outlook on life as they grow older crushing their dreams thinking they are made for something or trying to hide there emotions on fear of being bullied or being told their being over emotional and boys and girls both suffer with these issues girls also have to deal with trying not to be overemotional and boys also feel they can't take a certain career. Most of the time when they are picked on for things like this it's because of it her children's parents teaching their children these stereotypes and when they see something different that their gaurdians didn't teach them about it confuses them so they try to get rid of it which often results in bullying or children being left out. No child is born sexist. No child is born knowing stereotypes. This is an issue caused by adults, people who are supposed to be trusted. We need people to know exactly why this is happening. I'm glad things like this are being posted more and more often on social media, it spreads awareness which is exactly what we need to get people to sort themselves out for their child's sake.

• In my own understanding I believe that stereotypes have been in existence since immemorial and of course it is not good which means it needs to be stopped.
    Now I will like to say that one of the ways by which these stereotype concerning gender inequality will be stopped is through the combined effort of both individuals, communities and at large the government.
    Individuals has a vital role to play in terms of stopping the spread of this stereotype by telling themselves the truth which is believing that women should be given equal rights just as men in the society.
    Communities have a crucial role to play in this by allowing women view their opinions in the society when they come together or gather to deliberate on a particular topic, why I said is because most at times women’s are not been valued when it comes to participating in gathering or for them to share their opinions.
    And finally, government can help to stop this by allowing women participate in politics. For example when a male president is been elected, he is supposed to elect women as their ministers, this is to balance the equation and to it will help to reduce the rate of stereotype concerning gender inequality.
    I will like to conclude by saying that in other to put an end to this gender inequality it requires the effort of both individuals, communities and finally the government at large.
    THANK YOU…..

• Stereotypes are a plague on our society and they still remain imminent on the tongues of people from all edges and ages of the Earth. Whether it be for gender, race or religion, they all disgust me. It's becoming more a problem due to social media platforms using racism and sexism as "dark humour" and it's increasingly becoming more of a problem for the youth. I don't need to list all these stereotypes, but if you've heard what comes out of people's mouthes and what they post on their social medias, you'd understand. But for those who aren't aware, here are some examples. Dark humour stereotypes surrounding 'black people' with the use of racial slurs and degrading "jokes." Also, people using "dark humour" about Muslims and the 9/11 attack. A final example of this "humour of stereotypes" is women 'only belonging in the kitchen' and more. The list could go on, but my advice to you all is not to joke and mock people on stereotypes and avoid racist and sexist humour because it isn't a joke. We need to break free from these stereotypes (this is coming from someone who faces these "jokes" daily) because it's no longer okay. It never was. And if these stereotypes are what the youth are going to grow up finding funny and saying to others, then I worry for the fate of our nations.

1. How do you think we can all challenge these stereotypes?

1. I believe that to challenge stereotypes within the youth of our society is to get this message to parents and have more awareness to it in schools as well. Another way to challenge these stereotypes is a world wide restriction to social media platforms (such as Tiktok or Youtube and more) to children under 16 or at the least have more regulations and checks as to what people are posting online. First of all, in my experience and opinion, your parent(s) or guardian(s) are the people who make you who you are. They are also the individuals who are responsible for what you consume (information or media wise) and your attitudes/mannerisms. So in most cases, if a member of the youth has this sense of 'humour' or is positively highlighting this type of mindset, then it's a reflection of what they've been taught, shown or allowed to consume in the home setting. However, this is also down to social media companies at the end of the day (Youtube, Instagram, Tiktok etc) as it is their platform and they regulate what is and what is not allowed on their platforms and will demonetise or delete particular videos that only mildly cross their TOS's yet when certain content creators cross the line of the guidelines entirely, like my example of racism or sexism, they are still fully monetised for spreading a toxic mindset to the masses that it means more 'clicks, likes and subscribes' on the content creators works. This means more money for the creator, obviously, however the service also makes profit from of this to.

I'm sure that there are more ways to stop this insurgence of 'stereotype jokes and edgy dark humour' among the youth but this is what I thought would be the most effective. As I say, "you must cut the weeds before they grow." And to stop a corrupted, ignorant mindset from 'growing' in the minds of the youth, you must 'cut' it down from the source (in this case the home setting and social media platforms.)

Thank you for your time, I enjoyed broadening my point to you.

2. However, a point to challenge gender stereotypes (as I mainly focused on how to stop racial stereotyping humour) is for people to understand that men and women both have their strengths and weaknesses. However we have to bare in mind how from person to person that in biology, mentality, mannerisms, attitudes and a lot more - how people of the same gender differ.

For example in a classroom we may all be taught the same topic, but we will all take it in, learn it and believe in it in different ways. Even if it's just the smaller differences or the bigger ones . This is an analogy for how we're all born a part of the human race, but our experiences and abilities will be the difference between you and the next person. Even from man to man, or woman to woman we're not all the same. We aren't all equal in many aspects, but we are all worth the same at the end of the day as members of our society and people. One man may be able to cook a dish that's simply exquisite, while the next couldn't cook to save his life. But the next man will have an ability or attribute the man before him wouldn't. So ,before we even begin to look into how women are treated without equality compared to men, men technically (by ability) aren't equal themselves, but by their worth they all will be the same. And the exact same can be said for women, one woman may be able to lift a heavy weight, while the next cannot do so. We all come from Earth, right? It's just like how in packets of apples, they all may be from the same tree, but they won't all be the same. But they will all still be treat as apples. The same should be for all of us humans.

So ,to conclude and to put a way of challenging stereotypes across, if we *stop* teaching our children and the younger generations to come that we judge by ability then the whole 'inequality of men and women' (and inequalities of race as well) would most likely be challenged and forced to come to a stop. As well as between a man and another man or a woman and another woman. As the 'Declaration Of Independence' says (as written by Thomas Jefferson) - "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal..." And in the past we all know this has not been the case, or even in current times, but maybe if we all start to treat people by their worth as humans rather than the labels or abilities they have, then maybe we could challenge all stereotypes to come to an end...

Thank you for your time again.

• Stereotypes is something built into you by your parents, you grow up with it shapes into your mind. Adverts of childrens toys are very clearly stereotyped- for example girls toys will be linked with babies(dolls) , kitchens and cleaning things and most probably will involve the colour pink or cute pastel colours - where as adverts for boys will be sports, actual games or action figures and again will also involve blue or duller colours.
    The media is a big influence in stereotyping women and men - women are featured as caring, kind and one who doesnt work as much as men and men are hilarious, rich, hardworking.
    Overall, the media need to look at what they are putting into the world and we need to stop latching onto their every words

1. Yes!! I totally agree with this. Everything comes with a mindset. Girls are more known to have more soft and colorful things and easy stuff whereas boys deal with more manly, physical stuff. Women are always seen to be lower and men are always higher. This discourages a lot of people. There are many changes we as people need to fix.

1. Almost like there's a hierarchy between men and women. Men will be known to have more bigger or stronger challenges, whereas women will get ,as I agree with you, the easy things. Bringing my mind back to primary, the teachers would always say "I need some strong boys to get this for me". This honestly made me believe I would never be as strong as a boy and sometimes upset me and it boosted the boys ego in primary because they could carry the benches and the girls were never allowed!

• HELLO!
    With my little knowledge on stereotypes they are bad because they are beliefs on particular type of people. it discourages others on the activity and makes the people doing the activities focus only on the activity.
    THANK YOU!

• Stereotypes in my mind are reflecting past opinions of past generations but unfortunately they are transmitted to younger ones.
    However the country someone lives, the community someone belongs, or the friends they have around them can stop spreading the stereotypes.
    I personally believe there is a long road ahead of us but the future seems promising.
    Women are already in the workforce and men seem to share their roles in the house.
    For these reasons hopefully in the near future perceptions will change and bias will stop .

• I believe that gender stereotypes are a serious issue in today's world. They have developed over decades. The more stereotypes that were being said, the more people believed them. When I go on social media, women aren't really seen as real people, especially in podcasts. They call women weak but there are very strong women in the world. There are also racial stereotypes and they aren't true. We could try to stop the spread of these stereotypes starting with social media. People could post that these aren't true or maybe an influencer can post that these aren't. Then if that works, it might be able to spread to the news to inform people.

• Our actions can reinforce stereotypes by making them more true than they actually are. What I mean by that is for example, let's say you have a brother who is careless and dirty but you're a girl who is very caring and is very clean and neat, that shows that the girl in that situation is more cleaner and caring than the boy which is not true for every boy in the world. I also know that this is just a minor scenario that many people don't mind or pay attention to, but many sexist people say things like to males or females just because that's how they grew up or that's what they been hearing about other people. My second reason why our actions can reinforce stereotypes is because of how judgemental and self -centered people are. People make and say scenarios based on what they only see or heard which isn't accurate for everybody in the world.

• I think stereotypes can be really harmful because the don' t consider individual differences. They aslo can lead to misunderstanding and unfair treatment. Stereotypes create barriers between people and we jugde someone before knowing them. I think it's importat to know and treat peope as individual.

• I totally agree that we hear different stereotypes almost everyday on different topics and most of us don't even realize how we are reinforcing these stereotypes in our minds without even realizing. These stereotypes have a impact on our day to day, from choosing a career ,to marrying, to our beliefs everything is being controlled by stereotypes !! We think science as a stream is better then other career options, we think that beauty refers to the fairness of skin ,We think that boys should not cry. These ideas are fed in our minds from childhood and if we have to break these stereotypes then we first have to change the way of parenting, we have to make people aware about the difference between stereotypes and facts and have to make sure that children from the very start are not exposed to such stereotypes, only then we can insure that such meaningless stereotypes completely vanish from the minds of the future generations.

1. Great examples of stereotypes in society. Where do you think these come from and how are they maintained?

1. In my opinion these stereotypes were originated due to the lifestyle that was prevailing during earlier times and the conditions that the people were exposed to which gave rise to them. For example in earlier times the people who found out about new things and invented new things were respected in the society and therefore parents wanted their child to be one of them which lead to the glorification of science stream and men were usually responsible for handling their family and therefore they didn't wanted to be vulnerable in front of them which gave rise to the infamous phrase "Men don't cry". BUT now times have changed the world itself have changed the society not only need scientists but good businessmen, professionals, chefs, politicians etc. and everyone has a important role in the society, Now men alone no longer bear the responsibility of their family it has become an joint effort but people are yet to realize this, the times have changed but the people have not and that's the reason why such stereotypes are still prevailing and maintained in our society.

2. In my opinion these stereotypes were originated due to the lifestyle that was prevailing during earlier times and the conditions that the people were exposed to which gave rise to them. For example in earlier times the people who found out about new things and invented new things were respected in the society and therefore parents wanted their child to be one of them which lead to the glorification of science stream and men were usually responsible for handling their family and therefore they didn't wanted to be vulnerable in front of them which gave rise to the infamous phrase "Men don't cry". BUT now times have changed the world itself have changed the society not only need scientists but good businessmen, professionals, chefs, politicians etc. and everyone has a important role in the society, Now men alone no longer bear the responsibility of their family it has become an joint effort but people are yet to realize this, the times have changed but the people have not and that's the reason why such stereotypes are still prevailing and maintained in our society.

• Gender stereotypes have been an unfortunate constant throughout human history. But is interesting to see the constant evolution of things such as "gendered behaviours". Which, just like gender stereotypes and even gender itself are social constructs. It is nice to see my generation fighting to destigmatize and even break such stereotypes and norms because they are old, and in need of changes for our rapidly evolving world.

• Hi, from my point of view, stereotypes are a problem which is very common in our society, and they appear the day we just born, as boys, are asociated with the colour blue and with adjectives such as strong or big; while girls are associated to pink and with adjectives such as beautiful or delicate. I think we can fight against estereotypes in two different forms:
    The first one includes our parents, which have to let us know about estereotypes and how to prevent them.
    The second one could be having different conferences about this topic in our schools or watching videos on internet.
    However, I think that it is goin to be immposible to remove estereotypes from our daily life as they are very normalized.

• I agree with the stereotype "Women are more caring". Women are definitely more caring than men, I believe that men don't care so much about something because they rely on their wives for most of it. Women always think about everything and always know what they have to do. They are more sensitive in every sense.

• I do not agree with the stereotype "Boys are better at maths". This is a common stereotype that I don't think has any meaning because I don't think men are necessarily better at math. Anyone can know math better and it's not nice to name gender about something like that. For example, I know several women who are better at math, and because of that, we shouldn't think like that either.

1. How can this stereotype be challenged?

• Stereotypes have been created centuries ago, which makes it hard for people to change their view on certain topics since they've been taught biased stereotypes from early on. Gene-rally, family plays a huge role in the development and processing of judgement towards other people. If parents grew up with a very traditional view on life it may be hard for the child to accumulate to modern life views.
    However, it is really important to adapt to our current societies view, for which many people have fought for. The de stigmatization and feminist movements have made it able for people to express themselves without being limited to their stereotypes. Whether it's young girls playing football, men wearing skirts or women in the workplace with their husbands doing housework, individuality has been rising since.
    Nevertheless there is still a long way to go. Society is slowly adapting but at the same time, some people are regressing when it comes to accepting people. Especially for example very religious people or narrow minded individuals find it hard to understand why it's so important to de stigmatize gender roles and social aspects. It's not that hard to change. All that is needed is an open minded view on life. Every person has a story, why should we judge them and limit them on their abilities just because years ago it was seen as necessary? The beauty in our lifetime is that we are able to change.

• I believe that the middle stereotype is both wrong and right as men understand men's problems while women understand women better

• i personally believe that stereotypes do not matter because the reasons for the stereotypes have been develop over a long time and people should just forget about them now

1. Thanks dazzling_photograph! I would like to know more, how do you think we should forget about them?

2. This is an awesome comment Dazzling_Photograph, I also believe that stereotypes should just be forgotten. Many stereotypes have been disproven and inaccurate.

• I think that gender stereotypes are bad as it is make people think that they are not as good other even though that we are all equal and we should all be respected no matter our gender.

1. Thanks centered_drawing! I am interested to here more from you, what could you say or do to stop the spread of stereotypes?

• stereotypes can be a big problem for a lot of people because girls/boys might become insecure about things because stereotypes would portray women as weak and some stereotypes portray men as useless

1. Hi sensitive_walrus! Do you think there is something that can be said or done to stop the spread of stereotypes?

• I believe that gender stereotypes have grown every year. In my opinion, gender stereotypes are bad because if you are a women and you are seen playing, for example, football, everyone is going to stare at you because football is mostly known for men, same goes with men. I think everything is for every gender, and there are no rights or wrongs.

As a world, I think we should be more open and accepting to other people.

1. Thanks grounded_environment! It would be great to hear if you can think of any examples of what you could say or do to stop the spread of stereotypes

• Personally, stereotypes have been developed over time and that they are slowing fighting/getting rid of stereotypes.
    Although it wasn't as bad as before it's still in existent. For example: Parents.Nowadays still continue to think that the living female species are better at looking after children, which can be true in some cases but not true in others. This generation cannot be controlled of stereotypes although you could stop stereotypes for the new generations,for example teaching kids young that a colour doesn't resemble your gender ( like blue means boy and pink means a girl) anyone can like any colour. Girls aren't supposed to be a stay-at-home mum and boys can be a stay-at-home dad while the mum works. Boys crying doesn't mean they are childish (anyone can cry if they want) it doesn't make them less of a man. Girls can do heavier jobs ( they are capable) ,men can be a nurse if that's what they desire. Some different types are like race, skin doesn't determine your worth. In conclusion, stereotypes should be stopped, just because they have been around for along time it doesn't make it right.

1. Thanks quiet_goat! I like the example you gave about teaching kids when they are young that a colour doesn't resemble your gender. I was wondering if you had any more examples on how the spread of stereotypes can be stopped?

• I personally believe that stereotypes are not a good thing in any way, especially gender stereotypes. It isn't good because if someone is exposed to it too much it can lead to them believing the wrong thing because they have been influenced by others, a good way of handling this issue is to explain to people who believe in these stereotypes that they are believing the wrong thing. This can be done by saying that just because a lot of people apply to this stereotype, it doesn't mean that it's true. Stereotypes are a big issue and they can also ruin people's lives.

1. Thanks consistent_juniper! I wonder if you have any examples of what can be said or done to stop the spread of stereotypes?

• I think stereotypes are something that has developed over the years and we have slowly learnt to accept it as if it was okay, and the worse part of this is that we reinforce these stereotypes sometimes with our own actions and without even knowing it. we do this even when de gender of a baby is revealed, we use the color blue if it is a boy and pink if it is a girl.
    I think we should change this by not giving ouropinion or not commenting someone's way of being, dressing, etc. because doing this, that people stop feeling safe and good with who they are and start becoming someone else.
    To stop stereotypes we should embrace, accept and respect everyone's way of being without thinking if for example a dress is justfor girls. And I think we should start by teaching our kids that stereotypes are not okay and there are nospecific clothes for boys or girls, or works where only men can work.
    very cmmon stereotypes are that pink is for girls and blue for boys, women can't play football, makeup, dresses and nail polish are just for girls, and many more.
    Despite all of this and although there are still a lotofstereotypes in our society, I think we are finally improving little by little and making these world a better place.

• i think that stereotypes aren't as bad as they used to be since men used to do more of the 'manly' jobs like fixing cars and heavy duty jobs but now some women do jobs like that now

• i agree because i know that gender stereotypes have already developed from decades like things like women being portrayed weakly.

• Actions that can sometimes reinforce stereotypes are making jokes about yourself. I know many people make jokes about their race and things similar to that which can often instigate people to start stereotyping people of that certain race since it is just a "joke". People should be more aware of who they are around and stop making these harmful jokes and some things bystanders can do is to tell the instigator to stop making those jokes. I have yet to spot a stereotype in a Hub comment but if I do I would likely reply to their comment talking about how those stereotypes could be harmful to a group.

• I think stereotypes have grown over the years, but have become less notable. As the stereotypes grow the more people want to combat them. This goes for women especially. I have seen more women doing more "manly" jobs. This proves that not all stereotypes are true and just because something is said doesn't mean it's true.

• In my country, stereotypes affect the life of every individual in the country and when you try to stand up to such stereotypes you are stigmatised by society. I feel like one of the biggest stereotypes in my country is the belief that women belong in the kitchen. Due to traditional and cultural beliefs many generations including mine that it is unacceptable for a man to be doing household chores such as cleaning, cooking and even washing their own clothes. These stereotypes have caused women to limit their capabilities thinking their abilities are limited only to the household. Although many people are trying top fight these stereotypes, they are still rampant all over the country. I feel like in order to overcome such stereotypes women need to be educated and encouraged in order for them to discover their true potentials.

• Hi everyone!
    I think sometimes our actions can accidentally reinforce stereotypes. Let's take a look at a situation: imagine there's a boy who's naturally good at academics, while a girl struggles a bit. This might unintentionally make people think boys are just better at math, even though we know that's not true. It's just one scenario, but it can make a big impact.

Now, here's my take: instead of letting stereotypes dictate things, I believe we should put in the effort to challenge them. For example, if I see someone assuming boys are better at math, I could work extra hard to show that anyone can excel in the subject—it's all about dedication, not gender.

Unfortunately, in my school, there are times when stereotypes play out in unfair ways. Some teachers think boys are naturally better at sports, so they give them more training opportunities. It's not fair, and it can really sadden
    girls who love sports like me.

It's not just at school, either. Around 32% of people believe boys are better at sports. It might not seem like a lot, but it can really sting for us girls who love getting out there and playing.

And then there are some comments that hit close to home. I remember this one time, charming artist made a comment suggesting that girls are more emotional because they cry more easily. But let me inform you, as the oldest girl in a family of boys, I've learned to keep my emotions in check just like anyone else. It's not about being weak; it's about being strong in different ways.

Absolutely, I'm with Highspirited Mulberry on this one! Stereotypes have been around for ages, but you know our generation is really stepping up to fight stereotypes. It's inspiring to see so many of us working together to push back against these old ideas which judge people without knowing what they are capable of, and make the world a more inclusive and fair place for everyone.
    Thank you!!!

• I really disagree with gender stereotypes because I think every person is good in something and that's not defined by their gender but their abilities. I also disagee with the statement that boys are better at maths than girls. There are so many girls that are extremely good at maths and the best example for me is my older sister who is a math and physics professor.

• Because of stereotypes young people can think something is not for them just because they are a boy or a girl. When someone says that women are more caring, boys who are kind and also caring can feel left out. If we keep talking like that, boys and men won't be caring anymore because everyone says so, and that's sad because men and women should be caring for each other because we are all human.

• I will deny option c from experience in school. In my own class, the girls are always the first to fifth in mathematics. Because of that our class teacher is always in a eager to choose the female gender to participate in a competition. There is also this stereotype that has been bothering me. It says that women should stay at home and work no matter their qualifications. This is not right. What is the use of going to school if you don't use your knowledge? It is time women stand for their rights. This fundamental right are not only for the male gender but it is for both gender. And this question has been bothering me It says:who said that there is a particular job for women and men. It is not your gender that determine your job but it is your skills and talent that determines your job.

• From what I've read most people can agree that stereotypes are not good. When you look more into stereotypes, it is either about race, gender, or age. I feel like we can stop these things by educating the people we hear that are saying a unfair stereotype. For example, if you were to hear someone talking about how a boy shouldn't cry or that a girl should like pink, it may be best to step up and try to give a better approach even if its just a joke. If more and more people become educated, I feel like stereotypes will not be heard of as much anymore.

• I think stereotypes have been rooted in our society for so much time that, as we try to get rid of them, some people might critizise us just for trying to change the pattern and "boxes" that we've been put in. If you hear something that your parents, your teachers, or your friends say, you'll often believe what they say, which could only be a stereotype or prejudice.
    As a person who lives in a society with quite biased opinions, I usually get angry when people talk about genders or communities only based on stereotypes, and I often tell them off. With the time, I have realised that this doesn't help them to understand why do people get angry or upset at their comments, so I try to explain why is that a stereotype and how can you change that.

• It's true that stereotypes influence our life in many ways. From the young age, I'm hearing that I'm a girl and I can't do many things. As a result, I haven't even tried to do the things which has already been tagged as a boy's work. This is how social stereotypes prevent a girl from doing many things and break their will and confidence before starting the work. The most common stereotypes present in the society is boys are better at math. So, whenever I can't solve a math problem, the thought came in my mind that maybe I can never be good at math than a boy. As a result, I lose hope and the determination to be good at math than a boy. In this way, by creating stereotypes, the society is putting restrictions over the action of the girls. They are making the girls believe that no matter how much they try, they will never be better than a boy.
    Now the question come that how can we fight against those stereotypes. Indeed, to fight against the stereotypes we need to work together. We need to prove ourselves by breaking the stereotypes. We will take it as a challenge and show the whole world that we the girls can also be able to do many things. We have to be the one so that the stereotypes can eventually be proved wrong. We should not let the stereotypes decide what we should do and shouldn't. We are independent and will choose our own career. No stereotypes can interfere in my way of doing any things. If we think in this way, then we will be able to protest against those prevailed stereotypes and proved them wrong.

• I belive that stereotypes have been in our society for decades and this have provoke a lot of social problems. They'are stablished in someone's mentality when they're born. 'If he is a boy it might be blue and if she is a girl it might be pink', to avoid or to change this I think that we should start by opening our minds and start accepting that the only thing we get are problems and generate insecurities to young people. Besides we should stop thinking that boys are better in some things than women. We can just do the same things, the only thing that may vary is that you can be more skilled in some things than other people no matter if you're a boy or a girl. This is difficult to change, but I think that we've already improve in those aspects although there are too much things that they haven't been change yet.

• Stereotypes,a belief of our society,we have them for almost everything,for example,ethnicity,or in this case, gender.
    For centuries,we were subjected and have the need to follow them,stereotypes are created by the lack of knowledge we have on something,so we create a fake idea of it,simulating we know about it and for not to feel scared for something unknown.
    In this case,we idealise men and women,not only women,we made a fake profile,in which men are strong and must work for protecting his wife,and where women lives under the controll of men,in which she is just fragile and is only available for taking care of home and her children.
    We have developed since then,stereotypes are still alife,and I hope they die eventually,we are eliminating them by showing what woman can do,and having support for men who are also sick of this stereotypes and constanly expectation of them being a "real men"

A woman can be a good at mechanics and a man can be good at painting,and is just a fact that stereotypes are a lie.

• I think that people who encourage such stereotypes are stuck in the past when women had no rights and when society thought their only role was to take care of children. But we as a society must help such people, to not make mistakes we made in the past. But to learn something from it and to make change in their behavior.

• Actions in the media can sometimes reinforce stereotypes about women by portraying them in limited or stereotypical roles. This can perpetuate harmful ideas about women's capabilities, appearance, or behavior. It's crucial for media to showcase diverse and empowering representations of women to challenge these stereotypes and promote gender equality.

• I think that stereotypes have developed over time. Decades ago people's life was much more influenced by stereotypes, but nowadays people are fighting to stop their spread and the situation is improving. However, to continue this battle against stereotypes, I think that the most important thing is to educate new generations telling them what stereotypes are and why they need to avoid them. It's essential that these generations know what stereotypes are because although they have to disappear, if they don't know what are they they can be supporting those stereotypes without being conscious of it and don't do anything to stop it, therefore, although they have to disappear, children need to have a knowledge about the topic. In this education that new generations need to have, adults play a great role because children learn from their parents, and as adults, they have to be responsible of their actions, since children are going to copy them. For example, to stop the stereotype that women are better at cleaning the house, while men can't do it, I think the best thing that parents can do is to divide the tasks that have to be done at home, so that the children can see that men can also help, and when they grow up they can spread the same idea. In that way, little by little, the idea is spread and the stereotype can be eradicated.

• Our actions might sometimes reinforce stereotypes, by females believing stuff that others might say to them or what they might see, this happens when other people say males are better at something than some females, or even when sometimes information about something will be on the news or any other channel, saying discriminative stuff about some females. This will cause the female to be discouraged and believe the talks about males being better at doing something than a female. I think women can do whatever men can do, and they should also be praised for their hard work.

• Sometimes, we say stereotypes without realizing. Firstly, we should tell it to the person. Tell the person not to say that thing, because you don't like this type of comments. I don't understand why people say that things. The stereotypes have no sense, usually in topics in which gender doesn't have any effect. When I hear someone saying a stereotype, I begin to tell facts and the person can't answer. I make the person feel shame and apologize for their mistake.

• I think stereotypes are something we carry from decades ago and which develop with the pass of the time. In my country, we are fighting against stereotypes, but they are so psyched that It is complicated to avoid them. These days, we are talking a lot about women stereotypes in diferent situations. Women were mostly seen as the ones Who care about the children and the house, and the one Who works was the men. That is a great stereotype. I am Lucky to be in a country in which that type of stereotypes aren't so normal. We are constantly fighting against this types of stereotypes, but in here, the stereotypes aren't so radical and with every day fight, they are been eliminated. One problem of stereotypes IS that they are introduced to our minds since we are little, bye your parents, teachers, social media, goverment, etc and that makes you believe in that thinking which in reality they are rong ideas.

• In some society, stereotypes have created really big problem. Stereotypes can be harmful as they can lead to unfair treatment, discrimination and perpetuation of societal inequalities.

So, I think that there are many things, we can do to stop the spread of stereotypes. Mainly, we can be mindful of our own biases and assumptions, and work towards unlearning them. Speaking out against discriminatory behavior and engaging in constructive conversation that promotes better understanding and empathy are essential steps in stopping the proliferation of stereotypes. Through these types of efforts, we can foster a more inclusive and accepting environment for all individuals, regardless of their background or identity.

I haven't spot a stereotype in the hub comment but if I ever spot them in the hub, first of all, I would address them with challenging assumptions, highlight individuals diversity and promote accurate and respectful representation.

Thank you!!

• From my point of view, stereotypes are still present in our society, although we do not think so. For example, in Gender Reveals, if the color is blue is a boy and if it is pink is a girl, and I do not agree with this because we can use more colors for revealing this, and we are like saying that men is related with the blue color, and women with pink color, and could have other ones. I think that we need to stop this, mainly by publishing things in media or in TV, because we are saying that particular things are for women, and others for men and this could have a problem in our society. I think that we need to face this, which mainly can stop the progressing things that we are doing in our society, and could have serious consequences.

• I think stereotypes are a huge problem in the world. Stereotypes can make people feel insecure or uncomfortable. When reinforcing a stereotype, sometimes you don’t even notice. An example of a stereotype could be assuming that an asian person scored good on a math test. A way stop or slow down the spread of stereotypes is just to know that everyone is different and unique.

• I believe stereotypes should be fought against because your gender shouldn't classify what kind of person you should be. For example, not all men are violent and emotionless like you see in the movies and not all women are submissive and dependent.

• Actions can sometimes reinforce stereotypes when people engage in behaviors based on those stereotypes. For example, if a parent discourages their daughter from pursuing a career in science because "girls aren't good at science," it reinforces the stereotype and limits the girl's opportunities.

To challenge stereotypes, people can take several steps. They must learn about the harmful effects of stereotypes and the importance of equality and diversity. They have to understand that stereotypes are not accurate representations of individuals or groups. They should reflect on their own beliefs and attitudes and work towards to challenge them. They should express disagreement and provide alternative perspectives based on facts and evidence. They could encourage media, literature and other forms of communication to portray diverse and non-stereotypical characters. They must encourage others to question and analyze stereotypes.

There are many people who said that Boys are better at maths than girls. But,we have to believe that It’s just a stereotypes because research shows that mathematical ability has no correlation with gender. Stereotypes like this can discourage girls from pursuing math and limit their potential. It's important to recognize that individuals' abilities are not determined by their gender.
    Thank you

• Stereotypes are a big topic today. Some of us agree that pink is a girls colour and some disagree that football is a men’s sport. The most of us know the meaning of stereotypes lost importance and is a wrong perspective of thinking.
    A fundamental fact is that not everybody recognises the injustices that stereotypes create. Actually for some of us it may be a matter of course. In conclusion, we have to find solutions for that but at first we have to get to know the lack of acceptance people have.
    One example for this misunderstanding is that we have to understand people of different ages grew up in a different environment and a different point of view on the world. Years before we were born, people had diverse standpoints and believed in what others said. So now its our task to help people understand the problem and show them a open-minded view.

• I believe that gender stereotypes are beginning to come to an end for this generation. People are beginning to stereotype less by not viewing women in a mannerism of not being independent or less capable of accomplishing things on their own. Generations before have always believed that men are more powerful, strong, intelligent, etc, this has always been because of society being constructed this way. It is now normal for women to overpower workspaces like men have always done, businesswomen, female bosses, etc. Men aren't fully thought of as the providers anymore, for women get jobs more often. Social media and feminism have structured the change for
    gender stereotype, this is because there is a larger community in these industries and movements.

• Stereotypes are bad versions of past beliefs for me. Fortunately a lot has changed since then but there is still a lot of progress to stop Stereotypes .
    We can also note that Stereotypes are different according to the country people live.
    Gender does not indicate what we can achieve and how powerful we are.
    Our inner strength, our capabilities and our dreams can determine how high we can go.
    So I would say to everyone to stop Stereotypes that each of us is unique and noone can force us to limit our strength and capabilities.

• I think stereotypes come from a tendency of humans to generalize things. For example, someone might have seen a particular guy be better at math than a girl and they generalised that all boys are better at math. That is the problem with stereotypes that they make people think every one type of person is the same but nobody is. In this world everybody is different whether they are of any gender, color or origin. I think, to challenge stereotypes, an effective way could be making people realize that everyone is different. For example, if we need to break the stereotype that boys don't wear pink, a boy should wear pink. A star or an actor can do this as they have a stage and an audience that gets influenced by them. There still might be boys who don't want to wear pink but doing this would show that every boy has a different choice. Another way to challenge stereotypes is to question them. "Why can't a boy wear pink?" "Why can't a girl be good at mechanics?" "What makes you think boys aren't caring?" " What makes you think girls aren't good at math?" Usually people don't have an answer for them and it also makes them think whether there is any fact to back up the stereotype and when people don't find an answer they tend to stop thinking that way.

• Stereotypes are nothing, but just the misconceptions. we should not mind them and should always see that is it the truth or false . We should always go to the centre point and see what’s real. We should not believe what I see, and we should not only agree to the point that someone is telling something and we believe it, but on the other hand, we should always go and see what’s the reason behind it and question it. And as Boys are better at maths so how is it possible? Can’t a girl be good at maths. so as this wrong thought is not having any reason behind it so why should we believe it.
    When something comes, it also comes with the answer. So whenever someone believes on a stereotype that’s unreasonable, then we should accept it as a challenge and always find a way which opposes stereotype and makes it false . We can do many things in order to oppose the stereotype, but the only thing is to come together and raise the voice.
    Because unless unity comes, there is no victory, and we will not be able to find the success until unity is achieved.

• First of all, I think it's outrages that some women are expected to stay at home, or wash up, and men are 'the only ones' who can do physical jobs, or jobs that require strength. I think it is not ok to set stereotypes, as it doesn't let people make their own decisions in life. Setting stereotypes can make feel sad or upset about they are, which of course is not alright, because people shouldn't be ashamed of their gender, or their appearance. To stop the spread of stereotypes, it is important to make sure that people are aware they don't have to follow a path that's not their own. If you were to stay on the path that you don't want, then nothing will ever change, that's why sometimes it's alright to be the person you wan't to be!

• A stereotype is often known as a belief in a particular thing or idea from a group of people that may sometimes be true. So, from this perspective, stereotypes are facing and discrimination against women.
    I think that before people believe what stereotypes say, they should first look deep into the information and ask people about their various perspectives and ideas.
    So, if the stereotype problems are stopped it will be by the people so that they will be able to filter the information that they hear all the time.
    THANK YOU.

1. I agree with you because when people judge others based on the stereotypes , this can be a disaster because they do not know if the information is true or false. I think that if people want to know if something is true or false, they should research and dig deeper into the correct and more reliable information sources for a better perspective on people from what you have seen.
      These are a few tips that people should look into before they know if a stereotype is to be believed or not so that they will have good perspectives on people if true that. Sometimes you have people judge them even when they have not had a head on head discussion or chat with the person or have seen physically.
      For instance, you want to employ an engineer, you quickly shorlist only men because you think only men make good engineers. These examples abound in the work space.
      I think people should be given the opportunity to prove themselves instead of classifying them based on their gender.
      THANK YOU.

2. Hello optimistic_cymbals
      I agree with you because some people look down on young people because they do not have what the other people have or is just like saying a certain tribe or race cannot jump. however, i feel it is unacceptable and I think that people should stop stereotyping.
      THANK YOU VERY MUCH

• If we see a stereotype such as 'men are better mechanics' we could acknowledge the stereotype and help to inform the individual that stereotypes are harmful and formulate an appropriate response, i.e. that ability in mechanics is based on hard work and effort, and not based on things like gender.

Another prevalent stereotype is that 'women aren't good at football', we should challenge these stereotypes when they occur and help to prove that these are not correct, for example by showing the achievements of the English Lionesses in the Euros and world cup.

• I agree with option B that women are more caring. This because inbuilt in women is the ability to care and nuture, that is why they are the ones that give birth to children. When a woman has a family, all she does daily is care for her family. Even if a woman does not have her own family yet, she cares for the people around her. A woman can comfortably go hungry just to see her children eat. This caring nature of a woman will make her go the extra mile to get things done just to bring satisfaction.

• Challenging stereotypes requires both awareness and action. By being mindful of the language I use, educating myself and others, and actively learning about different cultures and backgrounds I can help fight stereotypes. Furthermore, I believe its also about speaking up when you hear someone make a snap judgment about a whole group of people, once during our lunch break I overheard someone judging a whole group of people based on a movie they saw I then decided to head up and have a chat with them, a few minutes later they realized how ridiculous the stereotype actually was! The thing is it's very possible even for me to make these judgments not even realizing that my thoughts are just stereotypes. In the end by taking action, big or small, we can all chip away at these outdated ideas and make our world where everyone is seen as an individual, not just some category in someone's head

• In my perspective, stereotypes still prevail although there has been actions for their elimination. People who witness gender discriminations should keep a neutral attitude and when possible they should take steps in order to zeroe them. This will help create a health environment for everyone where stereotypes not only in gender but in other daily things will be eliminated and a better future will be ahead of us.

• Hi everyone!
    The "Ladies in Media" program in our country is a shining example of breaking down gender barriers. It encourages young girls and women with a passion for media to pursue their dreams, challenging the traditional roles that confine them to cleaning and washing. This initiative sends a powerful message: while tradition holds significance, so do individual aspirations. It empowers girls to believe that their desires and ambitions matter just as much as societal expectations. 🌟 At my place of worship today, since I was the only girl, I was always tasked with cleaning up the place while the boys sat down and did nothing. Today I tried to explain to my teacher how unfair it was, but she silenced me and called me a bad example towards feminism. This really hurt me because I was just trying to defend myself and advocate for gender equality. 😔 When it comes to Hub comments, some users like Charming Artist and Rational Sealion have made comments that really hurt my feelings as a female and sports enthusiast. I replied to a certain comment by Charming Artist and told the user about the offensive statement they made. In my classroom, many of the boys watch videos made by a YouTuber who treats women badly and encourages others to do the same. One person made a mean comment directed towards women. This just shows that stereotypes are everywhere, and it is our responsibility to fight them. ✊🏽

• With gender stereotypes, it has been a growing matter throughout the years. During the 1890s-1920s, women decided to have enough and have proved that women are as good as men. African American women, however, receive even more hate than other women on this news. African American women are treated differently because of their gender and race, which makes them have less benefits. In order to stop these stereotypes from spreading, you have to show that men and women are treated differently in your area. One way is to make pay equal for men and women. If men want to change the fixed price of a car, then women should also have the ability of choosing a fixed price or a car. Stereotypes are still a problem in today's day and age, and we all need to fight to stop it.

• I think that gender stereotypes are a lot less prevalent than they were 50 years ago but they are still relevant today. For example, boys are pictured to love football, have short hair and be brave, and girls are pictured to love pretty princess, play with dolls and have long hair. All of these things could be the opposite, boys could play with dolls and have long hair if they wanted to and girls could play football, have short hair and be brave. School uniforms are usually girls wearing dresses or skirts and boys wearing trousers and shorts. Why should girls not be able to wear trousers? Why should boys be forced to play rugby and football and girls be forced to do dance and gymnastics?
    Did you know Barbie was first created because a daughter was jealous her brother playing with action figures? Barbie was first made in a swimsuit, but as time went on she became a doctor, an astronaut, a vet and many more things. This shows that over time things have changed for the better. I hope in the future that there will be no stereotypes and people will be free to live however they like.

• In our group we have selected the statement "women are more caring". and we believe everyone should be treated equally due to the fact that most single mothers care for there child but single fathers can also love their child regardless of the parents gender. The second statement is " men are better mechanics" and in our collective group we have decided this statement is wrong because both genders are equal, just because men are known to do more handy work it doesn't mean that women cant do it too these stereotypes make us women seem more vulnerable to men this is shown in old fashioned movies when the women is expected to stay at home on the other hand some people might disagree because some people may think men are better mechanics because they are supposedly meant to be smarter however the "boys are better at math all depends on the education of the person is going.

• I feel that each gender could be equally skilled at anything, but stereotypes are just the thing why people would disagree with that. People thing that men are strong so they should do the dirty work, while women work at clothing stores and nail salons. People should be able to work wherever they want without being judged because different people are skilled at different things. There are also many different kinds of stereotypes that just need to stop like, "pink is for girls and red is for boys", or " All black people like watermelon or fried chicken" which is kind of racist. But the main reason for these stereotypes is that people judge way too much because if they see a gender mainly doing that it's their thing and the other gender can't do it. Like how people say video games are for boys not girls, some girls may like video games, it doesn't make them wrong to like it. The main thing is that people need to change the way they think about certain things.