Reformation

Lots of Topical Talkers have explained how an important purpose of prisons is reformation. Reformation is when prisoners learn how to be better citizens. Here are three examples of reformative programmes.

UK flag

Clink Charity in the UK trains prisoners in cooking and hospitality skills.

Singapore's flag

Yellow Ribbon project in Singapore helps prisoners find housing after completing their sentence.

New Zealand's flag

Youth Court in New Zealand allows victims to confront the prisoner and for the prisoner to make amends.

Comments (87)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I think the best option is the Yellow Ribbon project in Singapore, because it helps them after their prison term greatly, many prisoners have found living outside prison walls extremely difficult as some might be abandoned by their families, lack enough money to sustain themselves and most times have to indulge in crimes again due to starvation, neglect, homelessness and poverty. These reasons are one of the main causes of crime, and this reformation programme will best aid outgoing prisoners in the start of their lives as better citizens and might even be what inspires them to change positively.

1. Though you have a point, i don't think it is completely valid. You see, if a prisoner spends a long time in prison and they get released finding a job or housing will be really difficult because the criminal record. Don't get me wrong, helping them find housing is a really good thing to do but does it really achieve the entire purpose of a prison. If a prisoner walks out of a prison exactly the same way they walked in, finding housing for them won't help in any way. In fact it will give them a base to continue their crimes if they choose to. I don't really think that programme will be really effective in the aspect of reformation. Housing will serve as more of a way to show the prisoner that they are loved, though it won't really be effective in reformation.

2. I'm not sure about this because... this program doesn't really look forward to the improvement or let's say reformation of the prisoners. From my perspective I think that this program just eases the pressure of these prisoners after they are released by providing them with housing. From the information we were given we see that the yellow ribbon duty is to help prisoners find housing after completing their sentence, this means that there could be no possible correctional action carried out after these prisoners are released. I would rather recommend the Youth Court in New Zealand as this program helps to find out the reason of the prisoner's offence and as it is said "a problem known is half a problem solved, hence the prisoner can be corrected.
      The work of the yellow ribbon is good but can still be improved on because... we have to remember that we are handling people who also have issues like every other human being.

THANKYOU.

1. Why might having a safe place to stay be an important step in making positive decisions and changes?

1. Hi Tiff @ Topical Talk
          Well, this question is very tricky, but I will try my best to answer this. A safe place firstly gives room for critical thinking. Us as topical talkers need safe places to apply our topical talk skills and bring solutions to answers, same also applies to everyone else. Let's use the prisoners as an example, when they are released, they "need these houses to settle down and think of the next move", and this is where the problem comes in. This move could be either negative or positive, unlike the prison where they were they were previously kept they now have exposure to things and are not being monitored by anybody.
          Safety also helps one to relax from issues. Being in a safe place can influence positive as well as negative decisions. Negative in the aspect that people when in safe places can oppose this positive environment. To me this is the major disadvantage of being in a safe place. Imagine a notorious prisoner has just been released from the prison and he was relocated to a very safe neighborhood, he/she could decide to cause ruckus in the environment.
          Being in a safe place helps you to reflect and I think that depending on the kind of people, some may need to be monitored.

THANKYOU.

2. I think it is important, because many people who committed crimes were actually pushed and influenced by others to do them. I have heard of many cases in which the actual criminals tried to blame others for what was their idea, which they also coordinated. They forced others into committing the crimes and it worked.
          I believe that there is a high risk of that kind of people coming and redirecting them towards committing crimes once again after they get out of prison. I think that when people come out of prison, they feel ashamed and some kind of outcast. Because of that, I believe that they should have a safe space to live in. Another important aspect is the fact that they might not have any money and nowhere to go. If they start living on the streets, then I think that it raises the chances of them committing crimes, in order to get by. What I think is a reasonable way to deal with this is to offer them shelter, but also provide a job, so that at some point they will be able to become financially independent. In my opinion, it would ensure that they get integrated into society safely. From my point of view, it is crucial to ensure safety for both citizens, but also those getting out of prison. From my experience, kindness and attention to details transform even the stubbornness of people, and those who seem to be a lost cause. In fact I don't think that anybody is hopeless, whatever society says. They are just being neglected.

3. I agree with consistent engine because in most countries, after a prison sentence, the former prisoners are most likely left on the street with no home. It's very compassionate from Singaporeans as after the prisoners leave prison they can turn their lives around.

4. Hello consistent engine, well you have a point, but I don't think that when you are sentenced to prison, and you are done with your sentence you are helped to get a job.
      Firstly, I will love to ask a question, "what if you are sentenced to life in prison what will happen in this case?
      For me I will try to make use of my opportunity to use my life well before I finally die, and I will also talk to the officers to help me so I can help other communities that will need me.
      Secondly, I don't think that when you are finally set free people will want to give you a job or even a house to live in because if this news of what you did goes round the world there will be no way people will isolate with you because of your past life and that can lead to depression. So, I urge us not to bring peoples past to the present because it can lead to death.

1. Hello brave reindeer, I understand the point you are aiming to make but " how exactly can one sentenced to life imprisonment help other communities in need of him/her" and in which time can he do this, is it within the time he is sentenced and taken to jail or is it in prison ? if so how ? Although I agree with you that after serving their jail term, some ex - convicts might reject the offer of a job and house. I think this might be because most are treated unfairly because of their prison records which might lead to depression as you said, while I suppose some don't just want all that, there'd rather live on their own, stay with family or take therapy to make them feel mentally stable and relaxed from the prejudice of society towards them. At this point due to charming _ artist's point I think the "option " of getting a house or job should be just offered to former prisoners so as the choice to receive therapy and all other thing that can aid the positive progress of an ex convicts life both mentally and socially. And if this offer is rejected, the government should equally see it that at least the ex convict is safe and reliable on their own because they can end up on the streets with no one to see to their safety and well being.

• I think option C "Youth court in New Zealand" which is quite like restorative justice, offers the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better. Here the prisoner confronts the victim and got a chance to amend. In this way, without only regretting, they are able to do something to reduce their crime, to amend and ask for forgiveness. here the prisoner doesn't have to suffer from self-regret because he got a chance to amend and ask for forgiveness. As a result, he will be able to get mental satisfaction and peace. Through talking with the victim, he will get to understand his wrong and the harm he did, and he will never to the same things again. By making amendments, they will be able to leave the past behind and will continue their life learning the lesson from past. In this process, the victim will be able to get compensation, will be able to teach the prisoners their mistake and may solve the issue by talking with the prisoner and will get a chance to forgive them. In the same way, the prisoner gets a chance to compensate or amend and ask for the forgiveness which will make them free from self-regret and will be more likely to reform himself. It will feel like they got a chance to change himself and repent for their mistakes. So, they will more likely reform themselves without having any hatred for the victims who let him get into the prison and self-blaming or regretting.

• In my view, prisons should have multipurposes but the two mains , to my beliefs, are punishment and reformation.
    One example that seems closer to me is the one in the UK, the Cling charity. It involves skills that can later help prisoners even in employment. These practical skills is such a positive aspect for rehabilitation especially, in my opinion the youth.
    Prisoners can find a reason to reshape their perceptions and aim in a more criminal free life.
    Additionally working in a real life environment can prepare them for their after prison life.

1. Hello shining aspect

I like the way you explained you self thereby I am in accordance to what you are saying because as you have said a prison is for punishment and reformation. I personally feel that for prisoners to change/reform I feel first of all the prison must be conducive to live in meaning the prison should not be over populated and it should have working facilities like proper gym equipment to make the prisoners fit. A prison should have a place where prisoners can study and read books. I also think the prison should educate prisoners about living a good life and developing the prisoners entrepreneur skills which can help them in the future when they are done serving there jail term.
      With all these I feel the prisoners will be reformed to better individuals in the society which the rate of lawlessness will be greatly reduced.

Thank you!!!

1. I agree with you grounded seal, prisoners should be given should be given more space that means prisons should not be overcrowded I agree with you on this point because overpopulation is what that could have led to the escape of Fito from prisoners should also be given proper gym equipment to make them fit and healthy with this prisoners feel a sign of love that people still love then and they turn a new leaf.
        It is also good to develop prisoners skills and talents and to make them know they are Still important to the society all this are forms of reformation.
        In conclusion I will say that reformation is the most important purpose of prison and I will also say that with this prisoners can become better people and make our society conducive for us.

2. I agree because... Prisons should have different buildings for those that have committed self-inflicted crimes so that they have different rehabilitation methods to aid their recovery. Prisons should also have different skill facities so that when the prisoners come out they have more opportunities to get jobs.

1. Hello approachable climate

I am in accordance to what you are saying because I personally feel that people who are in prison due to theft should not be mixed with those who come to prison due to murder because if they are mixed I feel there will be a negative influence to the thieves because the thieves may be taught on how to kill and the murderers will be taught on how to steal which this will defeat the purpose of a jail which is to reform criminals.

I feel they should be separated so that they will be given the rehabilitation services required for them. A prison is a place for reformation which I feel yoga should be included so that prisoners will be taught on anger management.

In conclusion prisoners who create minor crimes should not be mixed with those who make major crimes to ensure the safety of the prisoners.

NOTE: No crime is partially good so a crime is a crime so we should not indulge in such.

Thank You!!!

2. I agree with you approachable climate because in order to provide prisoners who have committed self-inflicted crimes with a variety of rehabilitation approaches to support their healing, prisons ought to house inmate populations in separate facilities. Additionally, prisons ought to include a variety of skill sets so that upon release, prisoners will have greater employment.

2. I agree with you because it gives room for prisoners to change and turn a new leaf.

1. How do you think prisoners can change?

1. I believe prisoners can change. First, they need to stop committing crimes and work on improving themselves. They should also encourage others to stop committing crimes too. If other criminals see someone who used to break the law now trying to stop it, they might be inspired to change too. Lastly, they should find jobs that keep them busy and help others. These jobs could benefit society and give them a sense of purpose.

1. I completely agree with your comment about prisoners being capable of changing. When they are in prison, they can undergo various trainings and therapies that can help them understand their wrongdoings and change their behavior. Additionally, they can learn different skills that can benefit them and the community once they are released. By going through these programs, they have the potential to come out as reformed individuals who can contribute positively to society.

1. Hey there! I hope you're having an amazing day filled with lots of joy and laughter. Life is too short to be anything but happy, so make sure you take some time to do the things that bring you happiness. Whether it's spending time with loved ones, trying a new hobby, or simply enjoying a good book, make sure you take the time to enjoy the little things in life. Remember, every day is a new opportunity to create something wonderful, so go out there and make the most of it!

2. The prisoners can only change if they put their minds into changing but if they want to change i would advise you to keep them away from the more dangerous ones then, you give test to know whether they actually want to change and also give trainings. I hope you understand me. Thanks 😊

3. Hi Eva
          That is a good question to answer
          Prisoners can change in a positive way, by transforming through education, improving health condition, and support, addressing hidden factors that form issues and providing opportunities for improving or restoring physical and mental health and restoring somethings in their previous form into society.

4. People make mistakes and sometimes end up in prison, a place for those who do wrong. In the past, prisons only punished people, but now we focus on rehabilitation. However, prisons today have problems, like overcrowding and repeat offenders. We can make things better by giving inmates a chance to learn new skills and offering counseling. Some inmates have changed and become good members of society. We need to provide more support like classes and counseling to help more people change.
          Thanks!👋

5. Hey Ava @ Topical Talk!
          I think prisoners can turn to a change by
          -by rehabilitation programs: by making people reflect on what they’ve done they will feel unhappy and change their behavior and habits to help their community after they are released.
          -by family support: they can talk with their families and the family can convince them to be better people after they are released from the prison and try to learn why they committed the crime.
          -by education: they can educate them about the consequences of committing crimes and that it’s wrong to commit and that it is better to seek for help not to result in the life of crime.

6. Hello Eva
          Yes, I do think that prisoners can change. They can change for good. First thing on the list that they can change to become a better person is to stop committing crimes. They can work on themselves to have a better life. They have to put their minds into changing themselves. They must think about their health, future, and education before making the wrong decisions. They must think about themselves and stop thinking about what to do to others.

2. I agree with you brilliant_personality, prisoners need room so that they can show that they are ready to change their behavior.

3. I agree because prisoners can change because they learn new skills that can even get them jobs and the jobs would keep them busy instead of them committing crimes again, also if they learn hospital skills they would see that being a doctor means you can save people's lives so they may try to become doctors and change for the good of humanity.

4. I strongly agree with you about Cling charity because this would help prisoners not to be idle and it teaches them skills which would later help them when the get out of prisoners, This also teaches prisoners moral lessons. A prison should not be based on mainly punishment but also also reforming prisoners to be better citizens.
      But I also like the last option which "allows victims to confront the prisoner and for the prisoner to make amends." I really think when you have offend someone it is important to meet the person that you have offended and apologies for what you have done to the person because it is very important for the person to forgive and forget, I think after a prisoner has finished his stay in the prison he would be reformed and it would help him to have the courage to go back and apologies for the wrong he has done.

• Clink Charity in the UK has a good offer to prisoners.training prisoners in cooking and hospitality will make them turn a new leaf because, mingling with people and people putting their trust in them to the extent of allowing them cook is very intriguing,this will change their perspective about who they are , because if the world could trust them and offer them a cooking job,they will also believe in themselves and turn a new leaf.
    They will also be a decrease in unemployment and crime rate in the society.

Yellow Ribbon providing shelter for the prisoners is also going to solve a problem.those that do not have a house after been released from prison tend to go back to what brought them their.because they will see people committing that same crime and they will feel that,if this crime was really bad why have this people not stop,and instantly he or she will end up in joining hands in committing that same crime.
    It will stop them from invading in peoples property,this is a punishable offence.after sentence most prison do Wal about in the streets and sleep in people house, some of them get rejected by family and friends and this can be very heartbreaking .it can make them feel useless and not worthy of staying among them.

But with provision of housing they will feel loved, happy,safe,secure and trusted.and it will make them become responsive to the world and their self .
    I don't think youth court in new Zealand has a good idea.because allowing the victim confront the prisoner can be very dangerous.this can make the victim commit another crime and make them remember what the prisoner did to them and this could trigger rage,and rage is a toxic fume that spread calamity's "rage drags rags after you"
    The Prisoner will also suffer from injustice because the prisoner has already been punished for his crime why should the victim still need his or her apology,it an emotional blackmail.
    Because we humans like to take laws into our hands which is wrong,but since the law has taken over the case should end there.
    "We can forgive but we can't forget"so victims should not confront prisoners".

1. It's amazing to see organizations like Clink Charity and Yellow Ribbon making a positive impact on prisoners' lives. Providing training in cooking and hospitality can truly help them turn over a new leaf by building trust and self-belief. Offering shelter post-release is crucial in preventing reoffending and giving them a sense of security and belonging. These initiatives can make a significant difference in reducing unemployment and crime rates in society. It's heartwarming to know that there are programs out there focused on rehabilitation and support for individuals who need it the most.

2. I disagree with you on the fact that the youth court in New Zealand is not a good idea. I think it is a really good idea. Forgiving is a good thing but it is really hard to forgive someone who does not ask for forgiveness in the first place. I get the fact that victims are hurt but don't you think they will feel better if the offender tries to make amends. "Actions speak louder than words". The youth court in New Zealand does not just make the offender apologize but tries to get the offender to make amends. Most of the time, prisons just arrest prisoners and compensate the victims without the offender apologising or trying to fix their mistake. The fact is that only when you try to fix your mistake will you truly change. The youth court in New Zealand will make prisoners to amend their ways through action and not words. I think that if you were a victim it will really touch you to see someone who offended you trying their best to make up for it. If you didn't know I want to tell you that we can actually forgive someone who offends us and it is a lot easier when the person willingly tries to make amends.

1. I disagree with the idea of prisoners meeting their victims. Sometimes, if the prisoner is not fully reformed and the victim has not forgiven them, the meeting could result in a worse outcome. In my opinion, it is not a good idea for them to meet in person. If necessary, they can communicate through writing and hope for a positive outcome.

• I think I was most impressed by the Youth Court in New Zealand. We can never solve problems by avoiding them or running away from them. While a prisoner may introspect in the prison, I believe the Youth Court would allow them to face the gravity of their actions. It would give them a chance to brood, truly feel guilty for their actions, and in doing so, embark on the path to forgiveness.
    The Bhagvad Geeta says that only those deserve forgiveness who long for it from the bottom of their hearts. The Youth Court is providing prisoners an opportunity to accept their mistake.
    Those who forgive others do so because they have come to terms with reality as it is. Hence, they know that they cannot rebel against others. They cannot do anything to change the past. so they forgive, forget, and move on with their lives.
    The Youth Court is also allowing the victims and the families of the victims to come to terms with the reality. Maybe, it offers them a peace of mind, by giving them unrestrictive permission to lash out on the prisoners, and thereby, lighten their pain. This way, they can come to terms with the reality, and move on with their pain as well...
    So according to me, the Youth Court is a perfect solution for both - the prisoner and his victims.
    It is the clearest path for stabilisation of both the parties mental health.

1. Hey enthusiastic honeydew, I'm really glad you decided to share this!
      But I disagree with you on this because you said that the Youth Court is the best because it allows the prisoner to reflect on their actions and realize the gravity of their decisions, and make amends with the victims, but that option doesn't really reform too much does it? Think about it like this, what if the victims weren't trying to make amends or come to terms in any way, they just wanted you to feel your worst self because of what you did to them. Would that help to change you or reform you? If someone made me hate myself because of something I did, that wouldn't really help me become a better person, it would just worsen my temper or mood and make me more prone to doing things like that. But unlike the Yellow RIbbon project, it helps me think that there are at least some people looking out for me, who care for me even though I did the things that I did. Because instead of simply kicking me out once I finish my sentence, just to basically prolong that sentence by making the rest of my life uncertain, they at least let me know I have a warm house I can live in, where I can care for myself there instead of on the streets. When you think about it like that, it makes you think that they really do want you to change since they're helping you, and that motivates you even more to reform.

• I think the best out of all of them has to be Youth Court in New Zealand. I have been taught that the best way to resolve conflict is through dialogue. Because of this, i feel like if the victim and the prisoner have a chance to talk then the prisoner will be able to see the pain or damage they have caused. The victim will be able to express their pain and it will give them a sort of relief. Moreover, the prisoner will see how their crime has affected other people and maybe they might want to change. I think it is the best way to reform. This programme can really be of help to the prisoners if they choose to change. Someone won't really know the impact of what they have done unless they see it for themselves. I think it is a really good idea.

1. I completely agree with you because one can only change through proper communication. People say that communication is the key. Prisoners, just like us, are people who understand communication. If the victims tell their side of the story to the criminal, the prisoner may understand how deeply they have hurt the victim. When the prisoner sees the consequence of their action, there is a chance that they may feel sympathy and guilt. As you mentioned, this might be a really helpful and effective way to reform prisoners. Unless the prisoner sees it first-hand, they won't realise their mistake. For example- when kids commit a mistake, adults scold them and tell them what they did was wrong. So over time, the kid realises that this act is wrong and should not be followed. So, just like small children, when prisoners are communicated about their wrong-doing, there is a higher chance of them changing. Hence, I think this is a really good way to reform prisoners.

• I think option A " Clink Charity of UK " offers the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better. Training prisoners in cooking and hospitality skills can be beneficial for several reason. It equips prisoners with practical skills that can increase their employability upon their release. Many prisoners do crimes because of unemployment. If they get training in cooking, they can do something for their livelihood. They will not do crimes again then. Working in professional kitchen environment can instill teamwork, discipline and a strong work ethics. It will bring positivity upon them who may have lacked positive outlets past. Hospitality toward others will makes him believe that we should love others and not to harm them. All these things will make a prisoner better.

• I would pick the clink charity in Uk since they train their prisoners to be more hospitable towards the people around them clink charity in Uk also trains prisoners to control hostility against fellow citizens or inmates it also helps them to develop productive skills to help society and fend for themselves prisoners are not really horrible people most of them are just misunderstood some end up there for reasons that are not reasonable and some were just victims that were counted as accomplices but they should still be taught on the right thing so that they can know how to be better citizens and that is why i pick the clink charity in UK.

• I will choose option C because once the prisoner has been able to get on good terms with the victim it helps them to have a free and clear mind so that when they step out to the society they would not be overcomed with guilt and they will able to live in peace and co-exist with others around them especially those they have wronged.

1. How do you think the prisoner will feel upon initial meet up?

1. Hi Eva @ Topical Talk!
        In my perspective,Upon initial meet-up, the prisoner's emotions could be complex and varied. They might feel a surge of anxiety, wondering what the encounter will bring. Fear could grip them, uncertain of the intentions of the person they are meeting. Curiosity may also arise, as they ponder who this person is and why they are meeting. Additionally, a sparkle of hope might flicker within them, daring to dream of a positive outcome or a connection to the outside world. All these emotions may twist together, creating a mix of anxiety and excitement as they navigate this new encounter.

Thank you!

• Hi, I believe the British option is the best choice for helping prisoners change for the better. It's because this option teaches them skills to get a job, so they can support themselves. Having a job can make a big difference because many people turn to crime when they don't have a way to take care of their family and themselves. Also, teaching them hospital skills could inspire them to see that they can make a positive impact by saving lives. Instead of stealing, they might want to help sick people. This gives them a better chance to change their lives for the good.

1. I agree because, yeah, the main reason people do bad stuff is often because they don't have jobs to take care of their families. So, if prisoners learn skills in jail that can help them get a job later, that job could keep them busy and stop them from doing bad things again.

2. I partially agree with you. In this process, the prisoners will get a secure job and a way of earning which will prevent them to commit further any crime for meeting the basic needs. But this process doesn't allow or give chance to them for amend or seeking forgiveness from the victims. They were sent to prisons as a punishment where they were trained on various skills. But after acquiring the skills, the general people won't accept them quickly due to past record. As a result, they again have to face mental breakdowns. On the other hand, the youth court in New Zealand provides a chance for the offenders to amend and hold responsibility for their actions. They also get a chance to ask forgiveness from the victims. In this process, they don't have to face the harsh experience of living in a prison and can understand their mistakes. So, they are more likely to reform themselves then those people who have spent many years in prisons having a harsh experience.

• okay, as for me I will chose the first option, this is because as we all know that some people who often engage into evil act in the society often engage into it because they have no occupation that will generate income for them. so I think that the best thing to do if for them to get trained so that when eventually they get released, they will find something to hold on to that will be generating them some money, so when they get trained on how to cook and in other hospitality skills, they can from there generate money which will sustain them and then aviod them from engaging into robbery or other evil act that can lead to imprisonent.

• I like the New Zealand option. It highlights the potential for healing and reconciliation through direct communication between victims and prisoners. This approach can provide victims with a platform to express their feelings and offer advice to offenders, ultimately promoting a greater sense of understanding and preventing future harm. Additionally, by addressing the needs of both victims and offenders, this approach aligns with the principles of restorative justice, which prioritize repairing harm and rebuilding relationships. It's heartening to see such a compassionate approach to justice, and I believe it can play an important role in fostering a more empathetic and caring society.

• Well I strongly agree with the youth Court in New Zealand because if victims allowed to comfort those who are offended them might bring up a sense of Unity and cohesion allowing prisoners to seek for forgiveness for their past actions that they committed additionally it brings an opportunity for prisoners to make new friends after they have completed their sentence

1. Interesting ideas. Do you think there are any downsides to allowing prisoners to interact with their victims or victims' families?

1. Well yes I think that they can be downside in allowing prisoners to interact with their victims families because it isn't all the time that prisoners are ready to change if for example now prisoner b meat victim c if both of them amend prisoner b might not truly mean it and if he is allowed to gain access to the family of victim c there will really be problems for victim c family.
        So I don't think that prisoners should be allowed to interact with victims families.

2. I think there are many ups and downs to allowing prisoners to interact with the victim because I think it would affect both the prisoner and the victim especially the victim this is because prisoners and their crimes committed have created exponential trauma to their victims which logically through there past encounters with prisoners wouldn't find it pleasing although not all victims and prisoners have the same habits but I still think people can change for instance if a prisoner meets with the victim trying to make ammends lets say it the victims that started a little feud between them i think this is the best way for all of them to make amends but still would it be logical to allow the prisoner interact with the victim
        I think for the safety of the victim and the family it will be best for the prisoners to have no interaction with the prisoner for safety emotional and mental purposes
        Thank you

• The Yellow Ribbon project in singapore is pretty cool because it gives a chance to people who have been in trouble with the law. It's like a fresh start for them, helping them move on from their past mistakes. when the prisoners leave prison, having a place to live becomes super important. Whithout a stable home, they might end up going back to their old habits, even if they tried to change in prison. So, finding them new homes is a big deal to help them to help them get back into normal life after being released.

1. Really interesting ideas. Can you tell us where you found your evidence?

• I believe the best possible opportunity for prisoners to change is the Youth Court in New Zealand.
    It allows victims to confront the prisoner and for the prisoner to make amends.
    The Youth Court deals with criminal offending by children and young people that is too serious to be dealt with by the police in the community.
    In my opinion, this helps with reformation because if a prisoner is able to appease the victims and actually gain forgiveness that is the first step to a better life and for them to move on. Peace of mind starts with having no form of malicious ties with anybody.

• I feel like what Singapore is doing is the best opportunity offered for prisoners to change for the better because the prisoners know that if they have a good behaviour, upon their release they would have a place to stay and the opportunity to give their lives a fresh start.

1. Interesting point. Please can you give some more detail on this and provide a source for your information?

1. The prisoners knowing that if they put up a good behaviour in and out of prison they will be rewarded with a place to stay and they would not have to go to a problematic house because after they get arrested the house they stayed in would not be the same, it would either be sold, destroyed or would be falling apart in the period of time they were away. They might also be provided resources to live on until they are back to having a stably resourced life away from crime. This is something I put deep thought into.

2. The prisoners knowing that if they put up a good behaviour in and out of prison they will be rewarded with a place to stay and they would not have to go to a problematic house because after they get arrested the house they stayed in would not be the same, it would either be sold, destroyed or would be falling apart in the period of time they were away. They might also be provided resources to live on until they are back to having a stably resourced life away from crime. This is something I put deep thought into.

• In my opinion, Clink Charity in the UK offers the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better because
    the programme gives prisoners important job skills, which helps them find jobs when they get out and makes them feel good about themselves and responsible. Learning these skills helps them get real jobs and be more independent financially, so they're less likely to commit crimes again and can be respected members of society. Furthermore, it shows that even though they made mistakes in the past, they can still learn and grow into better people. It's like giving them a second chance to make things right and prove themselves. Plus, by having a job and earning their own money, they don't have to rely on others as much, which can make them feel more confident and capable.

• Each of the reformative programs mentioned offers valuable and beneficial opportunities for prisoners to change for the better, but if I had to choose, I would pick the Clink Charity in the UK, which trains prisoners in cooking and hospitality skills, giving the best opportunity for transformation. Learning practical skills like cooking and hospitality not only equips individuals with remarkable talents upon release but also aids a sense of responsibility, teamwork, and transformation. Moreover, these skills are contagious and can open doors to employment and entrepreneurial actions, providing a way to successful reformation into society. While all three programs address different aspects of rehabilitation, the vocational training taught by the Clink Charity directly talks about the employability and personal development needs of prisoners, offering them marketable skills and a sense of purpose which are significant for successful reformation.
    It's amazing to see how different countries go about prisoner rehabilitation, reflecting their unique societal values and challenges. Each program has its benefits, and a combination of such initiatives could provide a prosperous approach to prisoner reform, addressing different aspects of their lives and experiences.

• I think the clink charity in the UK because, after they leave prison, they would be able to get a job and help earn money for their living. They wouldn’t be broke or homeless and feel hopeless. If their mental state goes down again because they don’t have anywhere to go or any money at all, then there would be a high chance for them to commit another crime to support themselves again. If they get injured or sick, they would also be able to cure their own selves without using any money. They could also be able to work as a doctor which provides them a lot of money for them. It’s also a good deed, being able to “make up” for their mistakes.

• Hey there! Thanks for sharing these examples of reformative programs. Each of them offers unique opportunities for prisoners to change for the better.

Personally, I think the Youth Court in New Zealand provides a great opportunity for prisoners to make amends and learn from their actions. By allowing victims to confront the prisoner, it creates a space for accountability and understanding. It gives prisoners a chance to directly face the consequences of their actions and make things right. This process can be transformative and help foster empathy and personal growth.

However, I'm open to hearing other arguments from fellow students. It's always interesting to consider different perspectives and see if they can change my mind. Let's keep the conversation going!

• I think that the UK offers the best opportunity to prisoners and it will be more helpful. Training prisoners into changing their manners and develop new skills will be the most affective. Cooking will help prisoners after completing their sentence to keep a household and a a family. By learning hospitality skills they can get a job in a hotel or somewhere else to survive. In our country we have a similar system to train prisoners. I completely agree with this because prison is a place where it can make prisoners better not worse.

• In my personal view, the youth Court in New Zealand is a very effective project because they allow the victims to interact with prisoners. With this way prisoners have a chance to understand their faults and change their mentality.
    Additionally with this type of communication, the government and the prison staff will also know if the prisoners have regretted about the crimes they have committed. It's the best way for them to learn from their actions.

• I totally agree with project A in the UK and I think it is a very effective measure. In my country we have almost the same. It is a project second chance schools where prospers can be taught different skills in order to be ready and productive when they get out of prison.
    They can learn from a new language up to pottery. They have different classes they have to follow where specialist teachers guide them throughout this project.
    With this way they are occupied creative with something they chose and at the same time by being educated they can reform their views.

1. When I saw this topic this is what I thought . second chance schools we have in our country. They function for a lot of years and they have such a great educational value. I could also add that our school provides many stuff needed for this by fundraising especially at Chrismas or during holiday seasons.

• Prisons house the most dangerous people in the world. But they are people nothing less. They should be given a second chance. Learning a skill like cooking or hospitality can help them calm and ease their souls. If a prisoner learns a skill , he may be slowly part of the society.

1. Hi sensible_speech you are right.
      If a prisoner learns a new job, he becomes a productive citizen. His thinking consciousness will increase. Being efficient he can earn by doing any moral work. As a result, he will no longer be neglected in society. So he will not do any bad thing. I think that only then, a prisoner can become an honest person. thank you.

• Hi amazing friends
    I choose Clink Charity in the UK because it will enable prisoners to learn how to welcome guests and treat them as expected. This skill can help them to even become better by learning how to interact with people without offence. I also feel that the cooking skills can offer them the opportunity to even start a job when they leave prison because when they are well trained in cooking, they can start a small restaurant of their own or can even select the food they can cook best and sell it on the street or anywhere and when they earn more money, it can give them a chance to open a bigger business.
    I APPRECIATE YOU FOR READING MY COMNENT
    THANK YOU😄👍💯

• I totally agree with project A. This is the best effective project for prisoners to not only reevaluate their actions but to understand that by using your educated skills you can offer to society something really positive.
    Additionally as for project C I can't think how a victim can confront a criminal when the victim is still in shock or hasn't overcome the criminal act. For me in order to succeed this a lot of specialist people need to be involved.

• After viewing all three options, I have come to the conclusion that the one that could radical change prisoners behaviour and help them turn their life around, is the reformative program of Youth court in New Zealand. This programme offers not only an opportunity for prisoners to repent for their actions but also a chance for victims to associate with them and comfort them face to face.
    To begin with the former, committing a crime can be very harrowing and arduous, thus for most of the offenders there is always a sight of guilt and liability. Thus, giving them the "golden" opportunity to make amends and make up for their actions is a great start for their individual change and their ensurement of a better future.
    To continue with the latter, a one-to-one negotiation can give a mutual chance for both victims and offenders to hear the perspective of each other. The offenders can apologize for their brutal actions and if everything goes right, then the victim and the offender can reconcile.
    Taking everything into account we can say without hesitation that the youth court in New Zealand is the most compelling reformative program which can frankly make a difference for prisoners and make them responsible and compliant citizens.

• Hey there! I wanted to share my thoughts on the Yellow Ribbon Project in Singapore. I appreciate this initiative because it helps prisoners find new homes after their release. Without a place to call home, ex-prisoners might resort to crime to earn money, which can lead them back into the prison system. The Yellow Ribbon Project is a great step towards preventing this and supporting people in their transition to a new life.

1. I agree with you. I also feel that the best option is the Yellow Ribbon project in Singapore because, in my opinion, everybody deserves to have a place to lay their head at night, a place to call home. When one does not have a home it is always a life filled with stress and mental agony, now imagine somebody just released from prison his family might not accept him back, the society turn its back on him, if he has shelter then that is a good place to start from.
      Most times, the things that push criminals to commit crimes might be because they need money to get a good place to stay and feed or they need money to pay a loan that they borrowed. Supportively, I think that giving the prisoners houses will be a great opportunity for them to come clean and change for good, I also think that if supplies are given to them to start with then the pressure on them will be reduced, and they might become a better citizen with just this headstart.

• I think amongst the rest, I'd pick Youth Court in New Zealand because in youth court systems, victims have the chance to directly confront the offenders, and this process fosters empathy and understanding. When prisoners face the real impact of their actions on victims, it can shift the focus from mere punishment to healing and personal growth. Youth courts also promote accountability—being responsible for your own actions. When confronted by victims, prisoners are more likely to reflect on their behavior, acknowledge the harm caused, and seek ways to make amends. Restorative justice isn’t just about short-term consequences. It aims for lasting behavioral changes. By addressing the root causes of criminal behavior and promoting empathy, the Youth Court contributes to reducing recidivism. In addition, for victims, confronting the offender provides an opportunity for closure and healing. It allows them to express their pain, ask questions, and seek answers directly from the person who harmed them. Look at it this way Restorative justice is just a community—victims, offenders, and their support networks. By involving everyone affected, it strengthens community bonds and reinforces the idea that rehabilitation benefits society as a whole.

• I think that the best option is the yellow ribbon project in Singapore because that helps them know they will have a place to go to when they come out of prison and it keeps them off the street and that is good because research shows 25-30% of homeless people are mentally ill and take drugs. And some mental illnesses can make you act irrationally and end you up back in prison. But I also like the idea of the clink charity in the uk because they are learning really helpful skills in a real life work environment whilst helping them gain academic experience which could help them get a job when they get out of prison. But overall I yellow ribbon project is the best

1. I agree because... "It is true that prisons should assist prisoners in finding homes after their release. If they are not provided with housing assistance, they may resort to committing crimes to acquire new homes and appliances. This is not something we want as it only perpetuates the cycle of crime."

• I think that Clink Charity in the UK will be great for prisoners. Generally many people work illegally for lack of a good employment. They engage in immoral activities like theft, extortion, fighting, robbery to support themselves and their families. Basically, many of them do this because of their lack of skills. In this case, if we can make the prisoners skilled then they can easily earn by doing any honest work. Mainly for this reason, I agree with the UK opinion.
    Thanks for give me a chance to present my thoughts and opinions.

• My original thought: I believe that the idea of allowing prisoners to make amends with their victims is the most useful way to allow a prisoner to be reformed, as, if someone is to make amends, they must show real emotion to show that they truly do regret their actions and wish to have a second chance. Also, this allows prisoners to know how they should act towards people in the civilised world ( or, semi-civilised world ) that we know today.
    My thoughts after reading other comments: After reading many comments, my overall thought has been changed. Many people have mentioned the fact that prisoners may often not have homes when they have been let out, mostly because of family abandonment or rejection, so they become homeless. therefore I now believe that the yellow ribbon project in Singapore is the most helpful. Thank you to all the people that helped inspire my thought.

• I think option one would be the best, not because I live in the uk, but because i think it's a fun and exciting way to use up your time, but also to amend your bad choices. The other bit talks about hospitality, which is a very important part of learning how to treat others with respect and kindness. Also, after reading consistent engine's thought, I realised that the yellow ribbon project in Singapore could also be extremely useful, as prisoners might struggle after leaving prison, as their family might not want them because of what they had done. Thank you consistent engine!

• I think that the best option is the Youth Court in New Zealand as it helps prisoners realise what they have done wrong and how it has impacted not only themselves but other people, which is the main aim of reformation. It also allows victims to find closure in whatever has happened to them and their family.

In regards to the other two options, they don't necessarily help with the reformation of prisoners and instead help them live after prison. If they don't understand what they have done wrong, then they have not been reformed. Giving someone a house after prison doesn't teach them the difference between right and wrong and instead almost rewarding them for their crimes.

Reformation has to focus on finding the balance between teaching and punishment. Unfortunately, I don't believe that any one of these options completely does this, but the Youth Court in New Zealand is the closest to reaching this balance and achieving reformation.

• I quite agree with all the projects
    First about A, developing practical skills throughout their jail sentence is the best reformative solution.
    If we need to be human, provide housing is also a key factor. We can't just say that we punish them and then we totally ignore them. In this way they will feel totally neglected from the community and there is a chance of reversing back to their bad habits.
    As for C, it could only work for me I'd the victims are result of minor crime acts and they are totally sure that can psychologically do it.

• I think the Youth Court in New Zealand can offer opportunities for prisoners to transform for the better. But there is a concern that coming across the victim could probably trigger past events and make the prisoner repeat their actions. Some prisoners might blame the victim for their time in jail bringing down their sense of remorse. On the other hand, some prisoners may really want to seek to make amends, acknowledge their mistakes, and try to change for the better when they are released. In the end i feel it all depends on the prisoners' mindsets and the emotional experiences they have during their time in prison.

• Hi everyone,
    I considered all these programs and this I what I came up with.
    OPTION 3:"Youth Court in New Zealand"
    I believe that the Youth court in New Zealand is the best reformative program. I have chosen this option because it "allows victims to confront the prisoner and for the prisoner to make amends". This makes an opportunity for a prisoner to have a change of mind, it offers for an interaction between a victim and the offender and in this process the prisoner can tell the reasons for doing what he did and can be spoken to by professional psychiatrists so that he/she can become better.
    OPTION 2:"Yellow Ribbon project in Singapore."
    ANALYSIS: Well, my issue with this program is that it only enables prisoners' safety after release. This just means that the prisoners do not go through any program that can help to improve. The advantage is that it helps the prisoners with a basic necessity of life, hence providing for them and giving them a basis for a new start after their release.
    OPTION 1:"Clink Charity in the UK."
    ANALYSIS: This program is good because it helps prisoners to contribute to the society after they are released, but where the problem comes in is that these prisoners are now sent to remote places such as hospitals and restaurants. Just imagine that the go to the hospital without an actual change of heart, they can cause much harm.

• I think all of the options offer the best opportunity to change because the are some certain things that they have to learn so that they can keep themselves busy and forget about their old life of committing crime. For option A if they are able to learn how to cook and other skills they will not steal because they can startup a business and make their own money. For option B I think it is the most essential because it is a main need of life,if prisoners are able to find housing for themselves they will have a place to stay rather than robbing innocent people for their own house. For option C through the reformative programmes the prisoner will learn how to apologize and ask for forgiveness in a formal way their will be peace between they people he wronged and peace within himself because of clear conscience.

• In my opinion, clink charity in the UK providing very important role in trainings about cooking and hospitality skills because this is very important and very demanding skills of the market. After training, prisoners can start their own business in future.

• Hello,
    I think 'Clink charity in UK' offers the best oppurtunity for prisoners to change for better. Traning prisoners
    in cooking and hospitality skills is better for prisoners. If prisoners will be active in good activities it will
    be easier to run prison properly without any problems. Many prisoners get involved in crimes because they have no work to do and earn some money for their basic needs. So, if prisoners will get involve in practicals works, then if someday they will come out from prison, they maynot be in condition to do crimes.

1. I agree with ineffable_recipe. I also believe that the Clink Charity offers the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better. Training for prisoners is critical as it gives them skills to improve their chances of getting a job when they are released from prison and this also lowers the possibility of reoffending. When prisoners are trained in cooking and hospitality skills, this aids in bridging the gap and reduces the labour shortage in the hospitality sector. The lives of prisoners and the general public are enhanced as it provides ex convicts a feeling of achievement which will help improve their mental health and general well being.

• I think clink charity in UK is also a very good option because after the prisoners go to the prison they are taught cooking and hospitality so the one who realise this when he/she comes out of jail then they can do the jobs of cooking or any work in the hospital. The people are taught hospitality skills from that they could earn some money or take the jobs of cooking food and earn money and leave the things because of which they have to go to prisons.

• Hello, Here is my analysis on all these options.
    Option A: The Clink Charity in the UK: I think that it teaches them skills which are helpful after their release from prison and could change their characters in the sense that if they learn cooking skills, they can be able to start businesses and even new lives, also if they learn hospitality skills, they can become better people with changed character.
    Option B: The Yellow Ribbon Project In Singapore: I think that it teaches them where and how to find houses in the society after their sentence rather than rejoining criminals in their hideouts, which is a useful tool in making the prisoners re-socialize with other people in the community.
    Option C: The Youth Court in New Zealand: I think that this method of reformation is also a good one because it allows the prisoner and the victim to be able to sort out their differences by dialogue rather than the prisoner doing it by revenge when he is released from the prison.
    Personally, I love the all the options here but in all due respect will rather refer to the third and first options as the best reason being they both teach the prisoners skills and give them a chance to reconcile with the victims. I would still like to say Kudos to all these organisations and their creative ways of reformation of prisoners in the society.
    THANK YOU.

1. I agree because...I also think the Yellow Ribbon project in Singapore is pretty cool. Prisoners often have nowhere to go after completing their sentence. They have no financial support, no housing and no food. The only exceptions are those who are opportuned to have families or friends who are willing and able to accept them back after their sentence or people who still have money saved up. I have always thought🤔 "What happens to the other prisoners who don't have this privilege". I think the Yellow Ribbon project is also thinking from this perspective. Prisoners are still people and therefore they have a right to their basic needs which are food, water and clothing. When they are in prison, these needs are only provided in jail but the ones outside are basically dormant. Prisoners often need a little kick or pat on the back to help their former lives get started again and I think the Yellow Ribbon project is really trying to make that happen by helping prisoners find housing after completing their sentence. Helping prisoners find housing after their sentence allows them to be better psychologically and socially stable after getting out of prisons. Which is why I really like the Yellow Ribbon Project.

• I go with project A as a same project is running in my country.
    Educational institution provide prisoners an opportunity to get skills that will later help them re enter the society.
    It is agreat change for inmates to better themselves and develop skills that may later help them with employment.
    While some.may criticize them for not being affective in general it has positive feedback and propose a sense of community inside prisons.

1. Respectfully, I think I am going to disagree with you. I see where you are coming from when saying it helps form a community inside prisons, but this community won't help them once they have left at the end of their sentence. Having these basic life skills will be useful in later life, however they won't help prisoners re enter society.

When speaking in terms of employment after they have left prison, prisoners are less likely to be hired because of their past crimes. Especially when it comes to hospitality they are very unlikely to be hired because of the fear they might commit another felony in front of customers.

It is a chance for inmates to better themselves as you have said, but it doesn't help fix the root cause of why they committed a crime and to try and prevent further crimes.

1. I understand that you have a point. Of course inmates is difficult to reenter society but this doesn't mean that we don't have to do anything.We can't say that is better to just be in prisons. Even a small educational.program can help them at least rethink about themselves in prison. They will have a meaning in life and education cam show them that with three skills they cam use their mind and their hands for meaningful purpose and not for stealing or whatever. At the first place education is the key to reavulate life and themselves.

1. Yes you are right. The program Second chance schools is a reformative program that if it is run appropriately will have a very meaningful purpose. It needs to be constantly evaluated and supported by funding from the government. After all people that are teaching there have to be paid and be provided with suitable materials.
          Personally what it's lacking is the constant coverage of media so as people can even volunteer to help by providing some of these materials.

• One of the reasons why the Ballon d'Or ceremony is always tense is because it is very difficult to distinguish between various good contenders and a similar situation has confronted me in this case. The three programs listed above are very essential and effective when looking at reformation, but all come from diverse angles of approach which I find very intriguing. The first is derived from the need for vocational skills after sentence to enable victims to be financially dependent and productive citizens. The second is aimed at giving victims shelter and hope that all hope is not lost, motivating them to fight harder to make a difference. But the third one stands out for me. It goes beyond mere human sight and overviews; it deals with the heart. Many people are being haunted all their life with the guilt of their wrongdoing and the awareness that the person that they offended may have not forgiven them owing to the fact that they did not have an opportunity to make amends but, this gives them the opportunity to make right what they have done wrong. My faith as a Christian teaches me to live at peace with all men and this suggestion is in full support of that, therefore it has my complete endorsement.

• I strongly believe at second chances for prisoners. Despite their criminal records I believe that there is good in everyone. There are many ways for a criminal to change and many organizations that support this idea but for me the greatest of all of them Is the organization Youth Court in New Zealand which allows victims and prisoners to improve their relationships and forget their past.
    I think this is the best choice because then prisoners and victims can come closer. The victim may forgive the prisoner like that and the prisoner may feel bad for what he has done and never do it again. Who knows? This might be the start of a great friendship.

• It seems to me that all of them have a purpose to offer. I believe that project B is more practical for prisoners. Many of them when they end their jail sentence are looking for a house to live.
    However the owners of the houses don't want to rent to them because they are afraid of them or they know that they can't pay them. Even if they are reformed they are stigmatized, because of their criminal record.
    By project B they can find easily home which is one of their basic needs in order to restart their life.

• Hi topical talkers!
    For me Each option helps prisoners in different ways, but it's hard to say which one is best. They're all valuable because they address different needs prisoners have. Learning job skills, finding a home, and facing consequences for their actions are all important for helping prisoners change for the better. It depends on what each prisoner needs most.

Each approach tackles prisoner reformation differently:
    1. Clink Charity in the UK: This helps prisoners learn skills like cooking and serving food. It's good because it can help them get a job when they leave prison.

2. Yellow Ribbon project in Singapore: This helps prisoners find a place to live after they leave prison. It's important because having a stable home can help them stay out of trouble.

3. New Zealand's Youth Court: Here, victims can talk to the people who hurt them, and the people who did wrong can try to make things right. This helps them understand what they did and maybe change their behavior.

Each of these programs can help prisoners become better people in different ways, depending on what they need.

Thank you!

• Reformation is the process of changing someone for they better. For option A I agree because prisoners should learn a skill to keep themselves busy because being idle can make someone do terrible things. If prisoners can learn how to cook they will be able to start up a small business and even provide for their families. For option B I agree because prisoners are humans and also can not live without shelter because it is one of they most essential needs of a person. The option that is they best is option C because if prisoners can make amends and confront they victim they have wronged it will give them a mentality that when you offend somebody you are to ask for forgiveness and there will also be peace in a society when people always makes amends. It helps prisoners to apologize and make amendments to people they have wronged.

• According to me, the Yellow Ribbon Project is the best. The reason behind this is that many prisoners find it difficult to find housing in their society as many people avoid selling houses to such prisoners. Not only this if the neighborhood is bad then it might mentally affect the prisoner. So the government should help the person find a house in a better neighbourhood where he can live peacefully

• So far, I feel the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better is the Youth Court in New Zealand. This is because I feel when victims get the opportunity to confront the prisoners, I feel the prisoners might be able to come to the realization that they have deeply hurt the people around them and if they continue what they are doing they might just continue to hurt more people and I feel this will push them to end their life of crime and reform in order to become better people because no matter what I still believe that criminals are still humans and no matter how hardened they might seem I still believe they have emotions even if it is just a tinge of emotion and this sentiment or emotion could help them feel sorry for the people they hurt and they might decide to change.

• I am mostly on project C Youth Court in New Zealand because it includes children or very young offenders. For this reason UT is the best policy against them. They are still shaping perceptions and any minor criminal act , if dealt with a reformation mind can be reevaluated.
    Victims being included in this process may help young people to restore faith in humanity and think carefully about their bad actions.
    They need a chance to be put in the right road and what better than an adult, or the victim to show them the wrong way.

• I think the option that offers the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better is the Yellow Ribbon Project in Singapore. I think this because in a lot of cases, once a prisoner has served their sentence, they are treated as second-class, no matter the severity of their crime, some thieves' credit scores go way down after they are convicted. And after word gets out of their incarceration nobody will want to hire them, and they won't have many opportunities to restart their lives. But this option is one of the most ethical, and kind options. Because a prisoner's first priority after getting out is turning a new leaf, what better way could they do that than with a house? Housing is one of the basic rights that every human being deserves. This option instead of treating them like animals, naughty children, or second-class citizens, the Singaporeans behind this treated the prisoner like a normal human being with rights to basic needs like housing. Not just that, but that's also one task taken off of the list of priorities of a newly freed prisoner, like a source of food and water, and a job. And from a prisoner's point of view, being given this right when in other situations you would be stuck without it, motivates you even more to reform yourself. That's why this option is the best, most ethical, and most helpful to the reformative process.

• In discussing about the effectiveness of reformative programs for prisoners, each option has unique opportunities for prisoners to change for the better of the society. Among the three, the Youth Court in New Zealand is my number 1 as it's offering the best opportunity for meaningful transformation. This is because it enables direct person-to-person interaction between victims and offenders, offering a forum for compensation, responsibility, and possibly reconciliation. By encouraging conversation and recognising the impact/effects of their actions, prisoners have a chance to sincerely address their behaviour and make amends, providing personal growth and understanding. The second-best option, the Clink Charity in the UK provides a practical and vocational training in cooking and hospitality skills, which can enable prisoners to equip tangible skills for future employment and reintegration into society. This is actually valuable, but it isn't facing the behavioural issues, which will not speed inner change. The third-best option, the Yellow Ribbon project in Singapore aids prisoners with housing opportunities, it mainly focuses on reintegration into the society rather than attacking the causes of criminal behaviour or improving personal growth. So in summary, while the other two serves an important role in reintegration, they may not provide the same level of reformative potential as the Youth Court in New Zealand.

• In my opinion I think that option New Zealand is the best option because it is giving the prisoner a chance to make amends.

• I feel the option that might help the prisoners the most would be the Clink charity because it will teach them an extra skill and this would give them a new purpose. Prisoners may have low self-esteem and feel stuck in their ways. If prisoners learn new skills, they will use it in life and they could start earning a living from it. That is why I think option A is the best.

• Well I agree with the option that involves Singapore because to me I think that if prisoners are allowed to go an housing it might take them away from the life of crime for example criminal C has no housing and that's why he became a criminal to acquire housing and was later taken to jail if he was allowed to go an housing after his life of crime it might drive him from the life of crime as a way of showing his gratefulness.

• In my opinion, I think the Yellow Ribbon Project is the best one as after finishing their sentence, the are often left without homes as most relatives and family members are too embarrassed or cross to let them stay. It is a really good thing to do and people are so happy because of the project. Also they can starve, have a lack of water or energy and also can be laughed or jeered at by people on the streets.

• In my opinion, all of these ways of reforming prisoners are good but the one that stood out to me the most was the Youth Court in New Zealand. This is because it first of all helps with the victims to forgive the prisoner and it takes a lot for the prisoner to make up to it and ask for forgiveness for their crime. Doing this could help prisoners appologize and learn from their mistakes so they wont do it again. So overall the Youth Court could both help the victims and prisoner so It stood out in a great way.
    Thank you.

• The option I agree with the most is the UK trains prisoners in cooking and hospitality skills. Alloqing prisoners to engage in this type of activites allows them or ,ight allow them to get employed after their sentence like prisoner D learning how to teach or cook definitely after his sentence he will be able to get a job and earn money driving him away from the life of crime

• For me, I think that the Clink Charity in the UK helps the most. I say this because I think that if this offers the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better, it is a caring and loving restaurant that thinks everybody deserves a second chance. So personally I think that the Clink Charity is a restaurant that wants to help prisoners to know that once you come out of the prison you are not a useless person, they want to show that prisoners can always earn money when they come out of prison, that you do not need to go back to a life of crime, you can always still fit back into the society prisoner or no prisoner. That is why they are giving out employment and teaching opportunities. An example of a prisoner that has been changed due to the Clink Charity Programme is Rob (currently a chef at the Clink Charity) is 39-year-old that was jailed for five years for a drugs-related offence. Now, Rob has become a better person who is ready to get back up and not going into a life of crime.
    THANK YOU.

• In New Zealand, there's a special court for young people who break the law. In this court, something special happens: the victims, the people who were hurt by the crime, get to talk to the person who did it. This is important because it helps the person who did the wrong thing understand how their actions hurt someone else.
    Imagine if you did something wrong to a friend, like breaking their toy. If they told you how sad they were because of what you did, you might feel sorry and want to fix things. That's what happens in this special court. The person who did the wrong thing gets to hear directly from the person they hurt. This makes them understand better how their actions affect others. But I think it doesn't stop there. The person who did the wrong thing also gets a chance to make things right. They can do something to show they're sorry, like fixing what they broke or helping out in some way. This helps them learn to take responsibility for what they did and make things better. So, by letting both sides talk and find ways to fix things, this special court helps people learn from their mistakes and become better. THANKS FOR
    UNDERSTANDING 🙂💝

• I personally think that all three options are great for reforming prisoners as teching the prisoners general life skills will prepare them for life outside of prison when they get released and finding them a home will help support them on their journey when they are released. However the Youth court project in New Zealand seems so stick out to me the most. This is because giving the prisoners a chance to talk through with the victims of their crimes sparks conversations on the motivations of the prisoners and why they do such things or why they did the certain offence to that certain person. This may lead to more understanding of intentions and even research into the mindsets of criminals. This project would also help the prisoners regain relationships and have a chance to apologise and talk through their actions with their victim. This could again give officers and prison workers more understanding and background information to the previously committed crimes.

Having done some research on this project, youth court is aimed at criminal offending children and young people and deals with almost every young person charged with an offence. However the youth court does not deal with serious offences such as murder and manslaughter (these serious offences are directed to residences of youth justice or even transferred to the district court where a jail sentence is considered). The youth court is a place of last resort and came about when New Zealand had a transformation on how they treated justice for their younger citizens. During conferences they discuss with a large group of people which includes the young person who committed the crime, the victim, a justice coordinator, police officers and other relevant people.

• I believe the best way for prisoners to become better is what new Zealand youth court is doing for the prisoners, most prisoners that are brought into prisoner come out and find out a better way to make their lifes better and if they share it with other prisoners that have similar problems I believe they would learn from their mistake and learn from another person that have gone through what they gone through.

• I think the youth court in new Zealand is the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better because after offending someone you need to reconcile with that person in other to restore a good and secure relationship with that person so I think that prisoners also need to reconcile with every one they have offended when they were still doing wrong but this just my opinion I would love to choose all the options but I can choose only choose one

1. Interesting ideas. Are there any downsides to allowing prisoners to connect with their victims or victims' families?

1. Enabling communication between prisoners and victims' families carries inherent risks. The offender could exploit these interactions to gather sensitive information about the victim's family, including their whereabouts. Additionally, in cases involving domestic violence or stalking, direct communication may worsen tensions and put the safety of the victim and their family members at risk.

• Personally, I agree with Clink Charity when they say that "In the UK trains prisoners in cooking and hospitality skills". I agree with them because it is a sort of punishment that is actually good for the prisoners. It also teaches them basic life skills they will need when they get released. In addition to all that it also provides them with entertainment in that boring building named prison where justice is payed.

• In my perspective, I believe that option "C" or Youth Court's idea was the best option out of the three. I believe this is reformation, for victims or relatives of the victim/victim to confront the prisoner. The victim or the relative can share to the prisoner what their troubles or problems are after what the prisoner did. After the prisoner's sentence the prisoner should feel a sense of empathy only if they actually changed and feel sorry for the victim and amend their mindset to not commit any more crimes.
    If that works then the prisoner may ask for forgiveness of what she/he has done. After it all is set and done, the prisoner would leave the actions He/She has done in the past and live peacefully. He/She would later become a normal citizen and be free of his criminal past and also would live life normally instead of just a prison where they get treated poorly.

• I think that the best option is the clonk charity in the UK because when ex convicts are taught valuable social skills such as hospitality and cooking, It could help them to attain both the services that the other above listed institutions offer because when prisoners are able to be hospitable, they would be trusted which would help them to obtain these necessities.

• Within the UK, Clink Charity provides training to prisoners in cooking and hospitality skills. In Singapore, the Yellow Ribbon project assists prisoners in finding housing once they have served their sentence. New Zealand's Youth Court allows victims to face the prisoner and for the prisoner to seek reconciliation. Considering these options, which approach do you find most impactful in supporting prisoner rehabilitation and reintegration into society? What I think is the first one in my opinion.

• To me,the best is Youth Court in New Zealand because in this case, the prisoners are being confronted and they are being shown on how to make amends for the betterment of the society and themselves. When these prisoners are shown how to make amends, it will reduce the amount of prisoners we have in prisons everyday. I think that the governments also have a role to play in this by providing job opportunities for people. With that, we will not really be having much prisoners to the present day because they will be so busy with their works and they could eventually be of help to others in prisons by telling them their own story or making amends.

• This is a very difficult question to answer. In my opinion, I believe that the Youth Court in New Zealand is the best option here. If you are a victim, you would want revenge. To make amends, you have to follow the law and don't cause any havoc. Yet again, the Clink Charity in the UK teaches vital life skills. Cooking and giving hospitality is very important. If you go hungry, you can cook a meal. If someone needs your help or if you want to give shelter to the homeless, you have learnt to give hospitality, you can give them the necessities to live.

• 1. The yellow ribbon project is the best one in my opinion because it helps prisoners get back on their feet because after awhile of being in prison for like 10 or 15 years they will have no where to go. I think the yellow one is the best one because it will help prisoners when they get out after doing their time and they will obviously have no where to 2.go so the person who the prisoner hurted or strike from will help them get money or a job. Many prisoners don't like to be in a cell because prison is dirty, uncleam, and you have to shower with other people with no privacy, the food is terrible because they can give u mold food without caring.

• I think the best offer is provided by the UK, Clink Charity to change prisoners for the better, which trains them in cooking and hospitality skills. In this way, prisoners would actually learn something, instead of getting involved in criminal activities, or stealing. Also, after imprisonment, this would help them to earn and become independent.
    Additionally, I feel this is correct because it can turn out to be an effective punishment for whatever the crime they have committed and it can be an efficient way for prisoners to understand their skills, abilities, accordingly working upon it.
    Further more, it can provide a purpose for prisoners if they actually focus on their talent.

• I think project Yellow Ribbon is the best as I some prisoners do crimes so that at prison they are fed and get comfortable beds to sleep in at night. So after being used to the ' luxury ' life in prison, these unwealthy prisoners will be inspired to try and purchase an abode to live this way for the rest of their life, but they might need help to find out where to get the money to do so. That is where the Yellow Ribbon project comes in. Once these prisoners are equipped with the knowledge to be able to be a civilised citizen of their nation, they will advance into a priviledged life and will never have to practise the art of crime ever again. If this happens to many prisoners, the amount of crimes around the nation will plummet significantly.

1. Yes I disagree with you because it is not fair.
      people made a crime and then after they get out of prison they will get a new home because they made a crime.

1. What criteria does someone need to meet for Yellow Ribbon to support them with housing?

2. I disagree because they could sort the prisoners into why they did the crime. The prisoners who did crime to get fed and to sleep comfortably, they can be helped, while the others will live a normal prison life.

• I think teaching prisoners cooking and hospitality skills through programs like Clink Charity in the UK can help them in many ways. For example, it can make them more likely to find a job after they are released. This is because jobs in these industries often need people with these skills, so having training can help them get hired. By learning new skills like cooking and hospitality, prisoners can feel better about themselves and become more confident. This can be a big change for people who may have felt left out or lost before. Overall, programs like Clink Charity not only teach practical skills but also give prisoners a chance to change their lives for the better.
    Thank you!

• I believe reformation is the most important part of the prison system and that prisoners who transition into society should receive more help and provide a way to intergrate into society which will help prevent them going back into prison

• Although all the options are quite good, I believe that the Yellow Ribbon Project in Singapore is the best option since studies show that prisoners find it very hard to find housing after being released from prison. After being released from prison, the poor people need to brave the difficulties of homelessness as well. This causes people to commit even more crimes, including theft. People need food and water to survive, and if the released prisoners do not have these things, then they might steal them, despite not wanting to. This will get them arrested again.
    However, the other options might also have some potential. For example, the Clink Charity in the UK could help former prisoners learn hospitality skills, which, after a long time in prison, would have been deterred a lot. Cooking is also a very important skill when living life outside of jail.
    In addition, the Youth Court in New Zealand is also a key part to reformation in the country since being able to say sorry helps to prevent any hate and future feuds.
    Nevertheless, I still believe that the Yellow Ribbon Project in Singapore is the best option for prisoners to change for the better, since most released prisoners find it incredibly difficult to find housing after being set free.

• In my opinion, I believe the Youth Court in New Zealand offers the best opportunity since some prisoners that go to jail might commit a crime and go to prison because of an accident with the victim and that might leave the prisoner and the victim off a bad ending and then when the prisoner gets out you wouldn't want their relationship to be bad. Also, the prisoner might want to apologize or the victim might want an apology.

• I strongly believe the first (1) option will help change prisoners lives for the better, because cooking can help them become professional chefs and open their own restaurant to help get money, which can change some of their lives since they just got out of prison. I think the hospitality skills that can be thought to a prisoner will help some of them with their mental well-being, since he/she will be curing patients, which will help them have enough money to even open up their own hospital with employees.

• In my view, Choice C, which includes offering help for emotional well-being, stands apart as the best way to deal with guaranteeing the prosperity and maintenance of jail staff. I accept this since it straightforwardly handles the main drivers of staff feeling hazardous and disappointed in their jobs. How about we check out at the case of HMP Liverpool in the UK. Back in 2018, an assessment report raised serious worries about the emotional wellness of the two detainees and staff there. Accordingly, the jail did whatever it may take to improve psychological well-being support for staff, for example, offering more admittance to advising administrations and presenting prosperity programs. The result? Staff started to feel more upheld and much improved ready to manage the difficulties they experienced working. By giving need to psychological wellness support, penitentiaries can develop a stronger labor force, prompting more secure and more joyful working circumstances for all interested parties.

• In my opinion, the option that provides the best opportunity for prisoners to change for the better would be the Clink Charity from the UK, as it trained prisoners skills that could be very useful for them when they eventually finished their sentence and get out of jail. These skills could get them jobs that could provide them housing, this could reduce the chances of prisoners reoffending crimes once they get out of prisons. The Clink Charity is also helping professions like cooking and hospitality, by training more people to be able to work in those fields.

• Every country has its own set rules for people to do things.
    The UK has a different set of rules than the US or New Zealand. You can’t expect the UK to have the same set of rules for the reformation of the prisoners.
    If every Country has the same rules than depending on the country that the rules are inhabited from,
    the rule can either be a death penalty or something very terrible.
    According to Places On Earth That Have No Laws (grunge.com), there is no place on earth that does not have any rules.
    THANK YOU

• I think the most reformative organization is the Youth Court in New Zealand. A peaceful society has a higher development rate than a chaotic society. Therefore, to develop faster, peace must be among our top priorities. Making peace with your offender or someone you offend can attract a sudden help from that person. The person may be rich, generous or mentally mature enough to easily forgive and move on.
    The Clink Charity in the UK is the next best option. Prisoners need to be taught that crime is not the only way to be successful. They should be taught vocational skills such as cooking and tailoring to restart their life on a new foundation. They can even be given small shops or capital to begin their own business.
    I feel the Yellow Ribbon Project is the least important because some prisoners had houses since before their sentence which they could have left in the hands of family members and friends. Housing is not an effective approach in reformation.
    Thank you.

• In New Zealand, the approach to prisoner rehabilitation emphasizes victim confrontation and offender accountability is better for many reasons but mainly because it has more pros than cons than the other selections. In my opinion Victim confrontation allows victims to express their feelings, ask questions, and seek closure. It promotes a sense of justice and healing which should be what a prison is for. Secondly, Offenders are directly confronted by the impact of their actions, fostering a sense of responsibility and remorse. Thirdly, Encouraging offenders to make amends can lead to personal growth and rehabilitation. But as much as there are some good, there are also some negative parts about it like First, Victim confrontation can be emotionally challenging for both victims and offenders. Secondly,Ensuring safe and respectful interactions between victims and prisoners is crucial. And finally, This approach may not directly address the harm caused to victims. even though this approach has a lot of cons the other ones have even greater risks than New zealand.

• i think the best option is the Clink Charity as the poisoners as not only does it potentially help them get a job so they learn what hard work is. Using this they could get a home and become a better person through their skills as a cook and do something with their life such as follow old dreams and live a peaceful life

• I think that the Clink Charity offers the best opportunity for offenders after prison, as it gives them the skills that can provide them with a job and earn an income, therefore meaning that they do not have as much free time. This means that there is less time for them to fall back into their wrongdoing, and also the reason that many fall into a life of crime in the first instant is due to poverty- although it isn't likely that these jobs will provide a great amount, it would be enough.

• I think the option that provides the best opportunity for prisoners to change themselves for the better is the Youth Court in New Zealand. I think so because prisoners, while meeting with the victims, could apologize for their previous actions and while talking to the victim they would be reminded of the cruelty of their actions and feel accountable for them. I think when the realization of what they've done dawns upon them they change and would never try to repeat what they did. They would actually feel guilty for what they have done and this guilt might make them try to make things right. Incase the victim accepts their apology and forgives them they might be able to forgive and work on themselves and make amends.

• I think Clink charity is bringing out the best opportunity for the prisoners as training the prisoners is highly beneficial for them . This will open wide range of career options for them motivating them to live a normal life as , now they'll have a job (because skill learnt in the prison) , a steady source of income and a house to live in eliminating all the reasons because of which they stole something or committed a crime.