The media and elections

Newspaper

A news consumer is someone who looks at, listens to or finds out about the news.

For example, by reading newspapers, listening to podcasts, looking at news websites or watching news updates on television.

All of you are news consumers because you are taking part in Topical Talk Festival!

2024 is a big year for elections – so it’ll be a big year for news consumers too.

It might be difficult to escape news about votes, candidates and policies.

Comments (115)

You must be logged in with Student Hub access to post a comment. Sign up now!

• I personally think that the media is a very good tool for elections. For people to be able to make the right decisions about their country, they need to know what is going on in their country. One of the features of democracy is free press which means there is freedom of media. People actually need to be informed about the actions of political parties and candidates so that they will be able to ascertain the right person for the job.
    People will most likely see more of news about the different candidates running for the election. It may be news about their policies or manifestoes or maybe even things about them that no one knew.
    The media will actually help the people participate in the elections more actively as well as help them make decisions. I support it completely.

1. Intelligent orchard what if you were to be on the situation of not having access to the internet for example you are living in the village and you don’t have a phone or a laptop and the is no internet to access the website that you will use in reading the news and internet what will you do.

1. Hi passionate_reindeer;
        I don't fully support you. Because, news is not only available through the internet but also from various newspapers. Moreover, when there was no internet, everyone used to provide information by reading news papers and hearing people's word of mouth. So I think that information can be provided without using internet. What are your thoughts on this?
        Did you get your question answered? Hope you understand my point.
        THANKS.

1. Hi storytelling _ grab
          I agree because it must not be available on the internet as you said the news can also be gotten by reading the newspaper. The newspaper is not the only way of accessing the news we have different ways

2. Yes of course, I solidly agree with you storytelling crab because government knew that there are places where there is no internet so that is reason why they made newspapers, journals and magazines available and affordable so that people can buy and easily assess the news. Also. Watching television or listening to radio news such as the NTA news is also a good way of getting information without the internet so everything does not depend on the internet.
          Thanks.

3. Hi storytelling_crab
          I solidly agree with you because yes without internet we can still hear the news from different forms like radio, even newspapers. Like those who live in the village without internet how will they go on internet when they don’t have phone or laptop, but they can use their radio to listen to what is happening in the world and also newspaper. Mostly old parents that are not more interested in going on internet, will stay in their various home and read newspapers bought from their children, and they will read and understand what is happening in the world or country at large. I also think that information can be provided without using internet.
          THANKS

1. I agree with you bright_philosophy to an extent that information can also be provided without the use of Internet but did you ever think of underdeveloped countries which still have rural areas where some people don't even have an idea about education, so how will they know what is going on in the world without being literate?

4. You are right about the various sources of news in rural areas, storytelling_crab but how legit and reliable are these news sources?
          With the internet you have a plethora of news sources you can choose from, you can filter the fake or biased out and focus on the legitimate news sources, however with radio or newspaper, you only read what you see and hear, there is no means to search for alternatives except for looking for another radio station, TV Chanel, or newspaper, and even those can be biased as it’s definitely not the consumers funding them but the government and other political parties who might only have their interests at heart.
          Even with words of mouth the story can easily be changed or over-exaggerated.
          In conclusion, information has been transferred since the dawn of time however, the internet is the best form of news consumption.

5. I agree because, people can still access news without having to be using a laptop, phone or any mobile device. Some people have stopped the act of reading newspapers or listening to information being distributed to people by a public talker, rather some people nowadays use their devices and go online to get their news, but they will still need newspapers, because if they find themselves in situations like he/she not having any device or internet access, the person can easily grab their newspaper or go out to listen to public radio's being played (which talks about news), incase he/she has the interest of knowing what has been most talked about lately.
          THANK YOU!

2. I agree with you passionate_reinder because if you are living in the village without a phone, laptop or internet, you will be oblivious on what is happening in the city or if there is an election going on you will not know about it . you will only get a second hand information based on hear say about up coming development and will not have any idea on how the whole thing happened, and whether or not the election was free and fair.

1. HI
          I agree with you triumphant_world because you made a good point. yes you are right living in a village without a phone, laptop or internet is not a good thing because you be oblivious on what is happenning in the city and even if election is going on the villagers will not know and the villagers will not get the oppurtunity to in an election and this is so bad.
          thanks.

2. I agree with your perceptive independence because the media is the best form of network that you can use to get news. But you can also access the news through newspapers. But just imagine you do not have any form of technological device or there aren't any other form of news. The place you are is strongly isolated you would not be able to access the new.

3. I'm not sure about this passionate reindeer because the media is the fastest form of network and a good tool for elections. it has its negatives, for example, if you are in an isolated place without access to technology. The media is like a news platform that informs you about politics and more. In conclusion the media has its ups and downs.

2. I totally agree with you intelligent_orchard.
      The media plays a crucial role in keeping people informed about the actions of political parties and candidates during elections. It helps us make informed decisions and actively participate in the democratic process. It's great that you support the media's role in elections!

1. Hi
        I agree with you caring_spring. Because you're right, the media plays a crucial role in keeping people informed about the actions of the political parties and candidates during elections. Which can keep people updated on the person that is leading with votes. And keeping the citizens updated can make them know more about the candidate.
        Thanks.

3. Yes, I definitely agree with you. The media is a really good source of information. It would help others in the country who might not have an idea on what is going on in the country or help people who also want to know more about a country.

1. Hi
        I agree with you eloquent_pie. Yes you are right the media is a good source of information because it can help in many ways for example the media can help the citizens in telling them the biography of a leader before choosing him.
        Thanks everyone.

2. I agree with eloquent_pie before now, i was told by my teacher that the media serve as a watch dog to the society and the give more knowledge about who you want to vote for and will even make you know about how he or she will take care of your country and how he or she will help poor people in the country and how he or she will be fair to the country.

1. Hi
          I agree with you hopeful_brain. The media serve as a watch to the society and they give the citizens more information about the candidates the citizens want to vote for. So, they will be updated on who is leading in the votes and who has won. If the citizens don't agree on how the person who won they can protests against it.
          Thanks.

3. I agree with you that people can get more information about their country from the media. But the media might try to influence people to vote for a particular candidate.For example an influencer might try to get other people to for a candidate of their choice.And when this is done, people wouldn't be able to choose a candidate of they want to be elected.
        THANK YOU.

4. I agree with you eloquent pie. Media is the work of finding out information about past and current affairs of countries and is a strong job of ideas for others

5. I agree because people that don't know anything about the country or the person going into power can get relevant information on persons through the media and some other can get good information on who to vote for if the person is a good leader or not.

6. Definitely, The media is a very good source of passing information. I say so because as far i have heard in other countries where they don't have phones, Internet, light and television will not be able to know what is going on or be able to communicate with one another to know what issues are going on. The media can also help people who want to know more about a country and know who to vote for. For example, if a bad person comes to people and start to tell them that they should vote for a paticular candidate and that candidate is a bad person we, might end up voting for the person . So that is why I said that the media is a really good source of information so we will know who to vote for.
        Thank you!!!

4. I agree with you and I think that if there are no medias, a lot of people would not know about most of the things happening in their country especially those who are at the inner part of the country with no tools or access to the internet. I also feel advertisements or broadcasting will be a really good tool because in a case like this, when people in the inner part do not have access to the internet, they can get awareness about the things that are happening and be part of it from the people advertising.

1. I agree with you because... If there was no media, many people will not be alert of many things happening in their country. Those who don't have access to the internet will not be able able the to know what is happening but those who see the media on tv show will know what is happening that could be beneficial to the citizens. I say so because if there is no internet today people will not know what is happening, only those who see the media will know what has been happening. media can also help in good voting decisions.

1. I'm not sure about this because in some cases the media is good it can influence people negatively or positively it can affect the way people think or act even their behavior, I do agree with you knowing what happens within your surrounding or outside your surrounding is very important people without access to local news are greatly affected because they are not prepared for any type of danger or threat.
          i do not think the media is that important from m research the constant addiction or reliance for constant information can cause social isolation and reduced real life interactions spending more time on the internet can cause individuals to withdraw from the real world instead more concentrated on a virtual world.
          in conclusion i do not support the use of the media during elections.

1. That got me thinking, knowledgeable_message. How would you inform people about elections and other local news if you don't think the media or the internet should be used?

1. I think that people would be able to make do without the internet, before the net people got news and information so i think people can still resort to going back to the usage of news papers, magazines, radios and the television rather than using the internet i do not think the media should be used because on the media there are so many wrong and highly exaggerated news and false information so if people have access to such devices and are given false information then how dose the media contribute to help share messages in conclusion i think the media should not be used because in my opinion it negatively impacts the news.

5. I agree that media is good because it informs good because it informs voters, promotes clarity, and facilitates public opinions and view but sometime media during elections is bad also .Bad because it sometimes exaggerate the news, spread misinformation and influence opinions.media can also alter the information.

1. Personally I disagree with the fact of what you are saying surrounding the positives of media during elections. Even though it informs voters, it also manipulates the opinions of the readers as seen in the past. This was seen in the election scandal in 2016 surrounding Trump becoming president. The users of Facebook were proven to have "influenced choices at the ballot box" and because of this he ended up as president.
        This shows that the media can negatively affect the results of an election and change the view of people using the social media platform.

Source :
        - The Guardian

1. I strongly agree with you accurate_outcome. I believe that the media can be manipulated by powers that be. there by telling the people things that they want them to hear. There was an election year in my country where a particular media house was shut down by the leading party because they were saying things different from what they wanted. Let us not forget that he who pays the piper dictates the tune.

2. I disagree with you accurate outcome, because the media is good for getting good information i do agree that it has its downsides like its negative impacts on readers. The media is a fast form of network which wires different news from all over the globe which is passed down faster than news reporters even if the facebook has been proven to influence people in different ways some negative some positive all in all it is a good way to get information, it is much faster form of information.

1. I agree with you perceptive_independence, this is because the media is good at getting information around but is not the best way to get correct information around. For instance someone under the name of a leader could make a post online and it may confuse some people because the name may lead to false information.

2. I agree with you chatty_nature because when people have a particular view of a candidate it might change due to the false information spread. In Nigeria a lot of people spread fake news using the platform of social media . When such news is spread a lot of people might change their mind on they want to vote for.

6. I totally agree with your point about media being a very useful tool for the elections , but on the other hand it can be used to trick people into thinking a candidate is friendly and helpful and in real life he could be an completely different person. This can cause a massive problem to the citizens opinion about a candidate and ofcourse to the candidate. For this reason I personally think the candidate should do things in public and not in social media , this will avoid escalating problems about the elections.👍

1. I disagree because...I feel like even if the candidates do things in public, they can still pretend thereby, doing things that they will not ordinarily do just to get sympathy votes from the people.Take for instance in my country:during the election year, we see politicians going round doing things that they don't normally do like cleaning the dirty environment, buying and eating foods from street vendors e.t.c immediately after the election, you don't get to see this things.This means they have publicly deceived the people.

7. I strongly agree with you intelligent orchard. I think the media contributes to various uses of our daily lives and help us to complete different tasks we are given. I also think the media assists in elections as well as it does towards distributing news. The media helps in elections by helping the candidates spread the news and also helps voters vote their choice with out any struggles.

1. I partially agree with funny twilight and intelligent orchard because the media sometimes have disadvantages.
        They may projects one party of candidates in a good light regardless whether they are good or not. on the other hand I agree with them because media gives us information about the latest news about our country, also they contribute a lot in creating awareness to the people so that they know more about the candidates and parties before they decide on who to vote for.
        THANK YOU

8. I'm not sure about this intelligent_orchard. Elections held on media is a good idea but if all elections are held on media, that means that those who don't have access to media can't vote. Voting is supposed to be available in a way that everyone can have access to vote for example those living in rural areas can't vote because they don't have access to media. Voting is a right for those qualified to vote, no one should be denied of this rights It isn't right. People should have access vote any where they can access.

9. HELLO intelligent orchard,
      I agree with you because media is the key to elect the right person for the job and the best way to know who would do it best is to look and make research about the candidates. i feel the media is the place to go if one wants to know who to vote for. some media channels however will endorse a candidate no matter the background of the candidate perhaps because the outlet is owned by or was paid by a particular candidate. This becomes a problem when a media outlet supports the wrong person and the person wins. That country will most likely fil because they have the wrong leader.
      THANK YOU!!!

10. Dear Intelligent_planet, I’m in agreement with your comment because we can’t know the true and good leader to vote for without meeting him or her through social media if we aren’t physically close to him or her or rather in another place altogether.
      We can also support a candidate in an election through the help of social media or media as a whole by making videos or flyers about them in social media, and social media has the greatest percentage of influence on people and with that, The media will actually help the people participate in the elections more actively as well as help them make decisions.

11. I agree with you intelligent orchard. The media is a very classically platform where different ideas of individuals are shared, now relating them to elections , media helps people to make right decisions on who to rule them. Social medias like Facebook, messenger, Instagram and twitter are very essential for voting during elections.
      Thanks

1. Interesting comments, how do you think the media steers ' right' decisions?

2. I agree because people that don't know any thing about the leaders can get some other information on what their intentions are on that country and what the are willing to do to make the country to develop in a good way, and people need be informed and aware on who to vote. the media can change the minds of people. the media can also expose any immoral or corrupt acts of candidates which could help people to decide who to vote.

12. yes you are right indeed,the media is very important tool to make one have a confirm information about election going on around us, in addition to the importance to what you have mentioned, the media has also accurately helped in the improvement of the election, when the election is a success, then they would be a great leader, and lastly I would like to ask you a question, is the media capable of being manipulated or changed, and in a situation whereby the media is manipulated would there be still a successful election.

1. Although it might be beneficial in some circumstances, I don't think it's a good idea to influence news related to elections because they are delicate issues that involve state affairs and shouldn't be done so in an unethical manner.

1. Thank you lovely planet for answering to my query, you mentioned that it might not be beneficial due to delicate issues that involve states affairs, in response to what you have mentioned, can you please elaborate more on this issues that the state can face, telling me the examples of this delicate issues, expressing your emotions on how to decrease or stop the issue of manipulating the news and explaining what you mean by being beneficial in some circumstances.

13. I agree with you because, I think the media is good for the election because, the media is the fastest way that people get influenced. Most people also get their news from a trusted source in the media. This can help the people especially youths on who to vote for and who to stand for in the election. social media in particular has become a great source of news and mobilization medium. it spreads news like wild fire and its level of influence is on another level. Therefore, the media is one of the greatest platform that can influence news about elections.

THANK YOU

14. I'm not sure about this because without meeting them and knowing what they can do might cause you making the wrong choice in election.
      Seeing him on social media may just be lies fabricated to vote for him and this will cause regret after election .

15. Hello intelligent_orchard I agree with your standpoint that media is good for elections, but not fully. Starting with the pros of media it could help people make their decision and make it more known that the leaders are good or bad. Though an example of a con could be false advertising with media leading to conflicts and arguments.

16. I completely concur with your extremely valid and well illustrated view. The media is an international manner of getting informed, becoming aware of critical situations and most pivotally making decisions about who is appropriate to be voted in elections. People can generate their opinion and preference about a candidate by watching the action of the so called political parties and therefore be able to be objective. Thus, the media is as you aforementioned the main way you can participate more compliantly and actively in the elective procedure.

17. I agree with you that the media is a really good tool for elections . The media can enlighten people on their country and the things that are going on. It could also tell them about the political parties , give information about the candidate and also his achievement. As a matter of fact, the media is said to be the fourth tiers of government because of the role they play in the dissemination of relevant information to the public.

18. Although the media may be a good tool for elections, there are also plenty of downsides to using the media for elections. You can't believe everything you see in the media. There are so many examples of people spreading lies and rumors about certain politicians when the majority of the time it's not true. I also think that there are many other types of ways to spread news, not just through the media.

1. Interesting comments, courteous_honeyberry. What other ways of speading the news would you suggest?

19. I strongly agree with you intelligent_orchard...the media serves as a mass communication center. It gives the people freedom to communicate and share their opinions, ideas and constructive criticisms. For Instance, the Social media has played major role in publicizing the manifestoes of candidates and also given opportunity to citizens to ask questions on what candidates intends to do if given the chance. In essence, the Media is the voice of the people.

20. Suggest a voter lives in an isolated area with little to no access to the internet and news. How would they find the information you shared?

• Hello,
    The advice I would actually give to us news consumers is that we should be prepared for any kind of news because... different things happen during this period, people should look for both good and bad as it helps in getting the full story of the events that are currently happening, they should not avoid any piece of information only if necessary so that they can piece together the pieces of information they find on the news, I feel like people will see more of the negative aspect as light will be shown on these articles of news so that people can make decisive actions against them. A rather beneficial way to navigate is by following particular bloggers or news casters on websites, especially those that record according to preferences of fans. If people see fake news before, they vote they can change their minds, I feel like this is also classified as deceitful manifestoes as bloggers also lie to win the votes of the people and this could be detrimental as the impact could as well be much.
    I think that the media is exceptional for election as it brings out different perspectives or views on the candidates which come out to be voted for. In the media we can track them down to even their alma matter and find the characteristics they possess.

THANKYOU.

1. I completely agree that the media and news in particular is very essential to any election. An election is a system of deciding a leader that is essential to the entire purpose of democracy. Elections have been a revolutionary way of deciding a leader as it is fair and innovative. 2024 is indeed a big year for elections with at least 15 countries in every continent is holding an election. The media is inevitable part of elections worldwide. I feel that all news whether good or bad should be heard as it could affect the outcome of the election
      Some news can expose the truth about a candidate and this could greatly harm the outcome of the election. And some news can improve the chances of a candidate to win. Some may think that some news channels are being partial yet most of the time it is about who pays for endorsement first..

2. Hello glad_outcome
      I agree with your position which in summary seek for balance in the way we consume news.
      During the season of elections, all kinds of news fly around all in the bit to win election. Huge sums of money are paid to mainline mass media and social media to put out content whether good or bad. To some media outfit, it's a business season and they must cash out on it thereby throwing ethics away. The media can make or mar the destiny of a nation by their content. This goes to say the power of the media in giving people world view.
      My advise to media practitioners is not to trade profit for principles.

• I think that the media is both good and bad for elections, in the sense that it has both its advantages and disadvantages.
    The media is a wonderful way to spread news, and so it is essential in mobilizing the people to vote, educating them on their political rights, keeping them updated on election figures and so much more.
    The major downside of the media, for me, however, is the spread of fake news. If people see fake news before they vote, it could wrongly influence their decisions. For example, if negative fake news is spread about a good party that could actually create change for the better in the country, it might cause the people to vote for another, maybe worse party or leader. Even if positive false news is spread about a bad party or leader. It could mobilize the people to vote for that party, with disastrous consequences.
    Despite the disadvantages, I still feel that the media is an important agent of passing information when it comes to elections. The only issue is that people are really influenced by what they hear. If it is fake, it could cause them to make bad decisions that they may come to regret.

1. What measures can be taken to reduce the amount of false information that is spread during election time?

1. Hello, Olivia!
        Here are some measures that will curb the spread of fake news during election time;
        Firstly, as individuals, we can check out the source of our information on elections to make sure it is credible. We can also check more than one source for a particular piece of news. Relying on one source for news can sometimes give us the point of view of those presenting the news, not our own. We should always do our research before drawing conclusions about a situation.
        In addition, I feel that there should be a main news source that people can rely on that will not distort the truth. I do not, however, feel that it should be owned and run by the government. Some governments are credible and trustworthy, but some governments can use the opportunity to twist the news to favour them, especially if that government is constituted of members of a party that is contesting for elections again. It should be an independent organization established by journalists and news reporters with the primary aim of providing quality, truthful information to the public.
        I also think that people should not jump to conclusions after hearing something. Sometimes, they are just misinformed and end up spreading news that they misinterpreted. We should always be sure of what we're saying before we say it.
        False information is unacceptable at any time, but especially during a crucial period for a state like election time. A lot of attention should be paid to it, to avoid breakdown of law and order, chaos and confusion in a country.

2. 1.Proactive Information Dissemination:
        Education of voters provide clear and accurate information about how to vote, including details on registration, polling locations, and voting methods. This helps combat false information related to voting procedures.
        2.Reporting and Monitoring:
        Reporting mechanisms help establish clear channels for reporting disinformation. Encourage citizens to report false information they encounter online or offline. Prompt action can be taken to address misleading content.
        3.Transparency and Accountability:
        Data Preservation When false information is identified, take it down promptly. However, preserve the data for analysis and transparency. This ensures accountability and allows for investigations if needed.
        4.Targeted Corrective Measures:
        Audience-Specific corrections can Identify individuals or groups affected by disinformation and provide targeted corrective information. Tailor messages to address specific false claims.

3. I think when the government makes sure that every news spread on the web is true, there will be less false information on the media.In my opinion when the government restricts false information on the media there will be a rapid reduction of false information and there will be less misunderstanding on the media about elections and any other discussion.

• Media plays a significant yet invisible role in our decision changing and making , people may say that the guns and drones are the most powerful weapons I certainly disagree to this point in my opinion media holds the power to build an empire and also to wreck it , gather condolences or angry mob , give someone the fame and defame someone . Amidst this it greatly influences the viewer's thoughts on the events especially like voting . It shapes our thoughts about viewing the person it might unleash the foul play of a candidate or raise support for the other one . This helps in the elections campaigns sharing the information of the candidates and their manifestoes. It is really a helpful tool in democracy and I support it .

• I personally think in my own opinion that the media is good for elections. The media's which includes the facebook, the instagram, the twitter, the tiktok , the vemo and the rest of them might sometimes come up with fake news about a particular electoral body may be because they do not like him or her, but nevertheless the media is actually very good.
    Citizens of a country needs to be aware of what is going on in his or her country, through the media all things can happen amicably. When one isn't a fan of watching or listening to broadcast news he or she can make up using the media.sometimesame when people share their opinion about a particular contestant all others might deep think about that person wether he or she would rule them well. In the Democratic sector individuals has the right to vote for any contestant of their choice provided he or she is comfortable with the chosen one.

1. Although I agree with many of the things you said, there are some potential risks for using the media. Not everything you see on the internet is true, especially during elections. Many rumors are spread throughout the media. An example could be that, currently, on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Tv, etc, I am already seeing ads about Joe Biden and Donald Trump. Not everything I've seen spread about these two candidates is true either. This doesn't just apply to elections, but anything in general.

2. Very good points, polite_pomegranate. Citizens do need to be informed about what's going on in their country, but what problems can it cause if they see lies and fake news online or in the media before they vote?

1. Okay,
        When citizens see fake news online before the day of election, I think that they would be discouraged to vote again due to the fear that would be gripped .
        Every human being would always want the best for him or her self, some people would not want to vote for that particular contestants whom they had something bad about and these would cause scarcity of votes during the election.
        Another problem that we might face is lack of trust for social medias, individuals wouldn't love to visit social medias because they think that all is fake and they wouldn't want to even believe the truth again.

• Everyone knows that the social media is global and any news which is posted must be belied by people all over the world and it could affect the election because of the news people may have seen on the social media it might be a negative information about a particular contestant, and because the voters has seen the news on social media it would change the person's mind against that particular contestant and the voters might end up voting for someone who would not manage their country in the right way.
    Because most voters act according to what the viewed on social media, and there are other ways of getting fake news and that is rumors. What people carry around vocally telling their friends and family bad about a person who is contesting for power. People should try and avoid believing in fake news and rumors.

1. Hey enigmatic_singer! I agree with your thoughts about how social media can be a great disadvantage. I just wanted to emphasize many ways we can avoid fake news. You can do this by checking the credibility of the source. If it has .gov or .edu, then it would be safe and reliable. Another way you can avoid fake news is by using AI to check and see if the information is true. Believe it or not, artificial intelligence can actually verify legit information.

• Hi everyone 👋
    I believe that the media is good for elections, because the media can make the citizens aware for the election. Which can make them vote for the right leaders. And because voting for a good leader can make a country progress more.

1. I partially agree with you that choosing a good leader can make a country great and the media might help to give voters more information on who they want to vote for. But I think the media could also show false information about a candidate, leading the people to vote for the wrong candidate. When this happens and the candidate gets elected, this will take the country backwards. therefore I think that the media can also spread false news.

2. I agree because, the media is what makes people aware of what is going on in different places, so if there is an election going on, I think the media should be present to capture everything that was happening in the organized event. Media can also help people to know what some leaders have done for the country, in order of them to become a president, this will help them know which person will be a better president for their country, since they were the ones who voted, also they are the citizens of that country.

• In my opinion news can help election because the people will now the person their voting for. The Media always focus to get new news about election results in Nigeria we declared our new president and informed them about who won and the scores.
    Thank you.

• In my own opinion i strongly believe that the media will play a vital role in terms of election, this is because as we wall know that some people are addicted to a particular channel of a TV or radio or even news paper.
    As a citizen of a particular country who are entitled to know what is going on in your country, and in terms of election,it is true this media that the people will get to know what the candidates has for them like their manifestoes and also the media can also educate the citizens on the achievement that the candidates has made probably when they contested for councilors or chiarman of the local government some years back, this is because the people it is important for the people to know the aim of the candidates that they are to vote for so they will not regret their actions after the election .
    finally, many people trust one particular media or the other, so when this media reminds them them of the importance of voting in an election and also provides them with some of the things that they should know about the candidates definetly they will be triggered to participate, so i strongly support the media completely.

1. I vehemently agree with you educated harmonica. The media is an important platform for getting news . The media has help so many citizens in making decisions and will always help. The media can not just start faking news because it has no gain, before news are posted in the media it would been assatained before being posted. When you talked some years how electing for councilors and local government chairman it got my mind back to the old voting system, there media has really improved them through their shared ideals and that's a very nice one.
      The media is a very confidential page were we share ideas and feelings relating them to elections, it helps is to know the individuals contesting and their objectives. We can also red their manifestos on the media, these would actually help us to make a right choice on who to elect as a president or governor and vise versa.
      The political parties as a system of government whereby people with the same political ideology come together to choose an eligible leader who can rule them perfectly well can also be part of the medias to drop fees backs on any step there take.

• As a passionate news person, mostly during the election periods, I am very much enthusiastic and would advise people to approach news consumption with a different mindset, rather than if its good or bad. Well staying informed is very important, it's essential to sight and know the possible influence of partial reporting or misinformation on voter's decisions during elections. Being sensitive to news sources and fact-monitoring information can help reduce the effects of fake news on the people. A study that I read by Pew Research Center, said about 68% of Americans get their news from social media(Instagram, Twitter/X), this tells us the need for cautious use of news in the technological age where misinformation can spread rampantly. Another advice which could help is, paying close attention to different opinions and exploring trustworthy and reputable sources, which can provide a more well informed and understandable environment for the people. Lastly, the media may play as a key factor in notifying voters, its effects on elections can be both good and bad, depending on your mindset and the accuracy and impartiality of the news.

1. Thank you trustworthy music. I fully agree we should be midfull of the sources and channels on which a particular news story is being broadcasted. Do you have any practical advice for young people whose main media consumption is through social networks? Should they favour mainstream media's websites or even paper newspapers?

• I actually think that media is a very important when it's election period , because the people majorly know what is going on with the use of media, for projecting the latest news updates and vote scores in different voting centers...
    We can also watch live videos of different voting centers to know if there's any rigging in any center and to trace stolen ballot boxes, etc.
    THE MEDIA IS JUST VERY IMPORTANT DURING VOTING, TO AVOID RIGGING AND CHEATING!
    What do you think, fellow topical talkers?

• In my opinion the news does effect voters because when you see issues addressed in the news you immediately think about all the impacts from it and due to this voters choose someone who could help this problem. It could be very beneficial for many as we see improvements in that area when elections finish however, they may be very negative for the country in many other areas that are hidden by voters desperation to prevent one issue they read or watched which could negatively impact others. I think during the time of voting people should have a more broad look at the issues they are presented with and make sure to choose someone who can fix most of the problems and has the least negative traits possible to help the country improve economically and help those who vote to get a better quality of life therefore increasing their life expectancy.

• I think that people should focus on;
    1. Focus on news that affects your voting decision.
    2. Watch out for fake news and verify information.
    3. Get diverse perspectives from different sources.
    4. Be aware of bias and think critically.
    Surely, media can be good and bad for elections. Stay informed and responsible!

• I think a news story that might affect how people vote is when they talk about the affects of people and hat they are doing in are society.In are society we have violence and bullying and pollution.Seein things like this can make you scared and not want to do anything.It could also make you want to be a outcast.That why we should slow down on the negativity in the world and focus on the impacts.

• Media is a frightening tool especially when its in the hands of journalist. Social media is a weapon that never takes in the human life they're dealing with. If you were a journalist would you stop on your news report about a government article because you'd be praying into their personal life. Because of media it is easier for Fake rumors to get out of and if there's a chance of them being your prime minister, how many people wouldn't read about them. Social media can help people proply vote but it can also be a serpent spreading poison across the globe. Media has always been a double sided sword and will always be one.

• During election periods, it's super important for people who read the news to be careful about how they take in information so they can make smart choices. One piece of advice I would give to people about how to consume news around the time of an election is to critically evaluate the news stories they encounter. Not all news sources are reliable or unbiased, so it's important to verify information from multiple sources before forming opinions or making voting decisions. Regarding whether the media is good or bad for elections, the media plays a vital role in informing the public about candidates, policies, and election processes, which is essential for a functioning democracy. I think the media is both good and bad because it serves as a platform for information about election candidates, their policies, and important issues. This allows voters to make informed decisions based on their understanding of the options available. However, the media can use biassed news stories to attract viewers or promote certain agendas. This can lead to voters making the wrong decisions.

• I would like to share my idea in the challenge.
    I think that governments should incorporate with technology or social media part, however, in a different, yet regular way of collaboration! where justice is the main goal in this way of voting so that everyone could have their say HONESTLY.

Governments could launch their own applications where every candidate could be modified in their own specific section in the online application. There could be a pass code given to all citizens associated in this application so that they can vote for whatever section or candidate they desire. There could be several democratic polls or votes hosted every once a while to collect all citizens opinions and choices.

Before ending this comment I would like to say that personally while writing this comment, it really reminded me of the system that this competition is working with as every member of this competition gets to express their own point of view, quite like the democratic-filled features this competition is providing us with, so that was even more thrilling for me to write this comment after realizing that.

• I think the media is an excellent place for elections to be promoted. Unlike other resources, the media is a very diverse platform where people can express their way of viewing things and can share controversial ideas without a problem. The media can expose a person to the different viewpoints of certain topics, like running candidates. Through this, a person can learn multiple things about others and can decide whether or not they are worth their vote. Also, it helps introduce the political subject to younger people or people who aren't aware as much. The media would be able to increase the amount of people interacting with political news and with their environment. The media serves as an advertisement for upcoming elections as well as other events in a local community.

• The media is one of the most helpful and useful tools in elections. For people to know who they will vote for or choose for their country, they need to know what is going on. People also have to know or be informed how the candidates act or what they will do to choose the right one. People may see good things or bad opinions about the candidate that they will choose. The media is a wonderful way to help people participate in elections. I support the media.

1. What other tools are used in elections, how do these work together (or against) the media?

1. Hi, Emma, Lawyer @ Clifford Chance
        When other tools such as protests or alternative candidates are ineffective, and a candidate can resolve the problem, people may criticize or praise that candidate in the media. Technology is another tool that is used against the media by creating fake videos with AI to manipulate people's perception and influence their voting decisions. These are tools that people can use to work together with the media, or against the media.
        Thank you for replying!

• I beleive that the media is good for elections. I say this becasue the informs people about what is going on. Without the media, the entire nation will have a lack of knowledge on everything that is going on. Some effects of this are less people voting, helps citizens achieve their own interests and make decisions that conform with their attitudes and preferences, promotes support for democratic values and , facilitates trust in the political system. Some may argue that the media might provide false or biased information. Though this may happen, there will still be a portion of the media that provides correct information. No information will lead to minisqure or no voting in the nation. I believe that even if some of the information provided is false, it is still better than not knowing anything.

• I think that the media is good for elections because with this people from other countries can advice the country's citizens on the person that they should think that they should vote for. For example, in my country Nigeria, during the elections that took place in February 2023, actors from Marvel movies came and did a video on the candidate that they think should be President even though they were not physically voting.
    Sometimes there are negative sides to this, and that will be that people that are advising from other countries sometimes do not the exact situation that the country is facing, but instead, they get most of there information from news around them. If they advice the citizens on who to vote for, since they are influencers most times, the country's citizens might listen to their advice and sometimes this is bad because what if they are wrong and make the country worse because of the wrong advice that they gave to the citizens.
    In conclusion, I just say that using social media for elections is good but it also has positive and negative sides to it which I just listed above
    THANK YOU.

• Everything has its advantages and disadvantages but the importance of the media overshadows its disadvantages. The media to serve as the intermediate between the government and the public. It is to keep the public updated on the government's actions and inform the government on the people's public opinion.
    Yet, fake news is the major disadvantage of the media. Fake news affects both the public and the government because it paints the government bad in front of the public and makes the public act based on false foundations. Some journalists make or publish fake or incomplete information for money or fame. Therefore the media should be a group of transparent people who would say the truth no matter what.
    The media is good for elections because they can cooperate with the police and investigate on the transparency and fairness rate of the elections. It can show the fault in our election system and the media can be used as a platform for people to suggest their solutions. The media should also investigate on the moral, social, mental and political backgrounds of the contesting candidates.
    Thank you.

• In this case the things that can affect how people vote, in some cases might have had a bad experience on how they visited the candidate.

• Hello,
    The media plays an important role in elections. In my opinion, I think it is a double-edged sword. When the candidates’ programs are presented honestly and impartially and leave the choice of the most appropriate to the voter, it has a positive impact.
    But when it presents a certain idea and directs voters to a specific person and works to mislead voters, it has a negative impact.
    Therefore, we must have a high degree of awareness in order to choose the best.

• Personaly i think the media can make people mind change as there are lots of people who go out their way and try to find out more and more information about the the two opponents then cause trouble and even maybe start a civil war.

1. What devices can the media use to make people change their minds?

• Hi...
    Mass media and Internet can consume news around the time of an election. I think country Liberation War related historical stories might affect people in choosing right candidate in vote.Media is good for it. The fake and negative news should people look for avoid. People actually need to be informed about the actions of political parties and candidates so that they will be able to ascertain the right person for the job.People will most likely see more of news about the different candidates running for the election. If people see fake news before they vote there will be no democracy and the country might suffer.I also think that internet also play a good role before vote.
    Thank you.

• The media is good for elections if it is well-used. I'll explain: The media is perfect to show what the candidates are promising to society, because many people vote without knowing what are they voting for because they have not read any political program, and if it is shown on the media (which is more accesible annd popular) more people will vote knowing what they are voting. But I think it is only good until this point, because afterwards, as they do polls and write opinion articles, they may influence the vote of the people. Also fake news can make your vote been influenced by what you have read, and not by what you really want.

• One advice I'd like to give to consumers is, to get their facts right before sharing them. They can do this by reading, asking people, because things on the internet can be false or even just allegations against someone or something. In addition, paying attention to accurate coverage of the issues and candidates. For example, if a news report says that one of the candidates is a criminal, it is essential that the story be factually accurate. This is not because any criminal actions should be hidden. It is because this type of story might be seen as influencing voters, and it is very important that all voters are free to make up their own minds. Another example of a news story that might influence voting is one that is published very close to the election. These stories might not give the candidate a chance to respond, and because of that, they might not give a full picture. Also, if very close to the election, such a retraction or correction may not be read by as many people, so the damage might already have been done. So in many countries, news organizations are careful not to publish or broadcast stories that could be seen to influence voters within a specific time period before an election. This type of news should be handled carefully. Everyone, particularly journalists and politicians, should expect and wish to be subject to scrutiny in a healthy democracy. However, the stories have to be fair and professional. Political systems need to include safeguards in order to protect the impartiality and fairness of elections. For example, in the UK, apart from in exceptional cases, political advertising on TV or radio is banned. Also, at election time, there are a number of strict regulations covering TV and radio programs as well as the press.

• I would like to take this oppurtunity to speak mostly on an example of late media mogul and former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi. His entire politcal career was built upon the foundation of him holding all of the major italian networks that weren't publicly funded. And it worked! He was a prime minister for a long time and his popularity was constant.

• I believe that media can played a pivotal role in elections. Media has the power to find out the truth and let the whole world know it. During elections media can find the people who are engaging in corruption and can show the rule color of the leaders. As a result, people will be conscious while selecting the leader. Again, if any corruption and dishonesty is happening during the election, media can also cover it and let the citizen know about it which will result in the true decomarcy elections. At the same time, media should also be refrain from covering false and biased news. Media should never support one particular leader, because media doesn't have the right to influence people's decision in selecting a leader. If media can show the true face of a corrupted leader than it can protect the country and administration from going to the wrong hand. In Bangladesh, during the election, we saw the pivotal role of the media. They showed the true condition of the vote center and also found many people who were doing corruption and giving fake votes. Thus, throughout the election, the media played a great role in doing the election and voting systematically. As media can influence the election in both good and bad ways, for this reason, the citizen need to be careful while seeing any news. They need to check the authenticity of the news then they should take any decisions. If both the media and the people are conscious about the fake news only then the media will be about to play its great role in election. I personally believe that media should be allowed to cover the news of the elections and also to know and let other know about the true condition of the voting center. Only then in one hand we can prevent corruption on the other hand do the election in a democratic way and gift a good leader to the citizen.

• Media plays a very important role in shaping the politics and power dynamics of a country ,it can easily be used to manipulate the minds of the viewers aligning them to a particular party or making them doubt their beliefs about a certain party. Therefore in my opinion Media is bad for elections because usually the media channels fabricate the truth about certain politicians and parties to increase their TRP because obviously they will prioritize their profit, BUT as responsible citizens we have to be self cautious while consuming news from channels and newspaper and to avoid misinformation we should avoid statements made by politicians about each other, instead of focusing on future promises should evaluate the past performances of the ruling party and in conclusion we should make our own conclusions about a party instead of relying on media by trying to find the matters and topics that are not highlighted in the news but are still important. These are my suggestions to someone who is going to vote in an election.

• I think the media is both good and bad when it comes to elections because it depends on what information that is posted on the social media. If the media post bad news about a candidate on the media it can ruin his or her image and make people not to vote for them again but if they post good news about them it can influence people to vote for them because citizens of a country mostly want a leader who displays good manners and characteristics.

• Hello fellow topical talker,
    I feel that the media is a bad think due to the humans themselves. Media coverage of elections can be influenced by bias and partisanship, leading to the dissemination of misinformation, propaganda, and sensationalized content. Biased reporting may favour certain candidates or parties while marginalizing others, undermining the democratic principle of fair and balanced coverage. The profits obtained by the media suggest the wide influence but due to human psychology their is also some form of corruption in the media hindering the people in the world know the ununiform development in certain countries. The news stories that affect how people vote are diverse and multifaceted, reflecting the complexity of political decision-making and the dynamic nature of electoral campaigns. The framing, tone, and credibility of news coverage play a crucial role in shaping voter perceptions and influencing democratic outcomes. Another role player are the stereotypes swaying peoples votes with that as many people think that India is poor but it isn't it is the majority of its people that are. There are the world richest Asian Mukesh Ambani with billions of dollars and they go splurging and thus might affect the perception of the poor. So if the party are rich they might not vote for them. The commercialization of media can prioritize profit over journalistic integrity, leading to the proliferation of infotainment and superficial coverage of elections. Sensationalism and celebrity-focused reporting may overshadow substantive political issues, trivializing the electoral process.

It is a valuable resource simultaneously as it informs about many things and with the access to the internet we can obtain valuable insights into the electoral parties and their agendas to improve the country. Media platforms provide a platform for diverse voices and perspectives, including those of marginalized communities and minority groups. This promotes inclusivity and ensures that a wide range of viewpoints are represented in the electoral discourse. This helps make the media vital instrument while voting.

I feel the negatives might be reduced as equality is promoted through the protests.

Thanks

• It is important for people to watch news programs that explain the electoral programs of the candidates during the elections, as well as television interviews that show this with the candidates. They should also read reliable newspapers that are known not to be biased towards a particular candidate, and that provide a fair and accurate representation of the situation. Additionally, they should watch programs that emphasize this and avoid channels or news programs that are directed or owned by a supporter of a particular candidate. People should pay attention to political news programs during the election period, and they should be issued by a neutral source. Watching fake news before the electoral process will definitely affect the opinions of those who vote and influence their decisions in the elections. Advertising during the election period can be positive if it portrays the true image of the candidates and their electoral programs, but it can also be negative and harm the country's future if it spreads biased news in favor of a specific person. This person may not be qualified for the position they are running for, which would harm the country's future.

• In my opinion, there are benefits and drawbacks to media meddling in elections. For instance, since the media is a news outlet and frequently discusses a wide range of topics, it is possible that if the media disparages a candidate during an election, voters may decide not to support them. On the other hand, if the media promotes a candidate, voters will almost certainly support them.
    Regards

• Hello there In my own perspective i think that during election time, it's super important to be smart about the news you're reading or watching.FIRSTLY👇

1.Pick the Right News:Look for stories that tell you about what the candidates want to do if they win and how it could affect your life. Stay away from stories that are just trying to get you excited or scared without giving you real information.

2. Check Different Sources: Don't just stick to one website or TV channel. Try to read or watch news from different places so you can get different points of view. This way, you can make up your own mind about what's true.

3.Make Sure It's True: If you see something that sounds crazy, check it with other places. There are websites that can help you know if something is true or not.

4.Be Careful on Social Media: Not everything you see on social media is true. Sometimes people make up stories just to get attention. So, if you see something weird, double-check it before you believe it .

5.Learn About the News:Try to understand how news works. There are different kinds of news, like facts, opinions, and stories that are just for fun. Knowing the difference can help you figure out what's important.
    As for whether the media is good or bad for elections, well, it's a bit of both. The media can help us learn about the candidates and what they stand for, which is good. But sometimes, they focus too much on drama and not enough on real issues, which can confuse people. So, it's important to be smart and not just believe everything you hear or see. I really appreciate you for giving me another chance to comment.
    THANKS 🙂💝

• When it comes to consuming news during an election here is some important advice :
    1.People should look at a variety of news outlets to get a well-rounded view. They shouldn't rely on just one source as it may be biased or incomplete.
    2. People have to choose trustworthy news organizations that follow good practices.Also, check if the information is backed up by evidence.
    3. People must think critically and be smart about the news they read. Look for facts, data and different perspectives to form their own opinions.
    4.They must focus on issues, not just candidates. They have to pay attention to the important topics that affect people's lives. Look for news stories that discuss policies and their potential impact on society.
    5.They should be careful of false information that can spread quickly during elections.

Media's impact on elections is neither all good nor all bad. It depends on the integrity and professionalism of the media outlets. The media can inform the public, encourage political discussions and hold leaders accountable. However, problems arise when the media prioritizes ratings or biases over objective reporting. Ultimately, a well-informed and critically engaged public can make better voting decisions, while misinformation and biased reporting can harm the democratic process.

• In my opinion the media is both good and bad for elections. I want to talk about the second question. What news should people look for or avoid? In my opinion, voters should avoid none. Though I think people should look forward to good news about candidates the most because good news about candidates contributes to their overall appeal and how people see them. It builds the trust citizens have in candidates. Voters should support someone they trust in and believe is reliable, competent and has high integrity. Why I say voters should look out for positive news is because some negative news are not true and portray a candidate in a wrong way. Though voters should also look out for bad news because they expose evil. I don't mean that they should believe everything they hear but I mean that they should believe legitimate news in order not to vote for a candidate who is not good. However, voters should critically evaluate both positive and negative news to make proper decisions. So both positive and negative news are important when it comes to voting. Therefore, I think voters should be open to both. The media can lie and tarnish the image of a candidate and also exalt a candidate which is incompetent(this makes it bad) but on the other hand, the media can expose all the bad activities of candidates(this makes it good). Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages even the media.

• The media have a lot of influence in an election's outcome. the media's main purpose is to make money and during an election,the best way to do that is to stir up drama between the different political factions,which might often include some details from their private life. Also,the media might prefer a candidate because he might,for example,give them more funding. So, in order to ensure that their favorite wins,they might use propaganda and slander the name of his opposition. All in all i think the media is a great tool for keeping yourself informed,however i believe that the influence they have in an election's outcome is a bad thing.

• Personally I am of the opinion that the media constitute a bad tool for elections,especially when the time comes for the youth to vote since it is true that teenagers have not formed yet a versatile political view in order to be able to judge a goverment's behavior and its initiatives or opinions.It is also a well-known fact that media sometimes provides people with fake news and try to affect them by promoting bad standars and make them believe unfounded theories and thoughts.Thus when a teenager decide to vote he/she has to be aware of the reality,not being avoided by other people's opinions and of course being mature and politicized.

• In my opinion, the media play a vital role for elections. People learn about what is happening on their country, about the candidates and their actions and it will be easier for them to choose who to vote. Suffice it to say that there are also fake news that may affect people's vote in an negative way. It is not rare that people get influenced by not reliable sourses and do not judge based on facts. I believe that if people avoid unreliable sourses, the media can have a very positive effect on their vote as it will give them important information.

• If people see fake news it can make them change their mind on who the wanted to vote for and this will have a very big impact on the country.It can make them choose a bad leader,teach them the wrong means of voting and will make them waver.People should be careful on the news the listen to because it can either have a very good impact or a very bad impact.People should look for news that will guide them in problem-solving and build their vocabulary they should be informed on good news in order to learn about the country and how it works.I fully know that the media are bad for elections because from what I have noticed the do not keep to the rules of the elections the are easily bribed and that is why a country like Nigeria will never excel because we have corrupt leaders and media who are not honest.

• I at that the media is good to elections because with this, the news of the elections can be broadcasted to different nations and they can share their opinions on what they think. Also, people can have their different opinions on who they think is worthy enough to lead the country to Paradise or the opposite. Most times it is better to heed their advice because they may be gathering their information from an unknown source that is not to be trusted. Other times, they do not know the exact situation that the country is facing and who can solve it. They will usually just pick their opinion from the news that they have seen whether it is true or false. So, I think that it is best for them to keep their distance from the citizens to get out of any manner of trouble and to reduce the condemnation that they may face if the candidate that they influenced the voters to vote for does not win, or in some cases wins but happened to be the wrong leader of the country.
    It is better for countries to pick for themselves and heed any other advice then for them to listen to it when they do not the economic and financial situation of the country.
    THANK YOU.

• HI
    In my perspective I think that the media is good for elections. I say this because if contestants show themselves on the media and their manifesto, it helps the people to know what plan they have for them and their country and it would help the people to make the right choice.

• In my opinion I think we should take a look at the social media as a powerful tool, however, the media can be bad and good for everyone. I believe sometimes people say fake things about people which can also make people lose their trust in the candidate and not vote for them. This has a negative impact on the candidates and the people he or she is representing.
    The media at the same time has the power also to promote a good candidate that may not be popular with the people thereby bringing the person to lime light.
    There is so much power with the media but it all depends on how they want to use it.
    Thank you.

• I believe that the media has its pros and cons when it comes to elections. And the advice I give to people when going on to the media is trying to understand both sides and be patient and calm if someone from the opposing party says about yours, if you are too sensitive talking about politics in general don't go onto social media and get angry and post things about your party and how the opposing team is bad. You make many decisions based on your emotions and not your facts.
    Each and every single person has an opinion on something on this planet and the minority will try to manipulate you into reading fake news and lure you in to agreeing with them. Please do not go onto social media the night before the election as there is a high chance that you may be a victim of fake news and it says something worrying and confuses you about the leader of choice you want to vote for.
    If you want trustworthy news, you can always read a newspaper, only the journalists can write up things in the news that is based on facts and read through many other head journalists before it is published. Online newspapers article is also known for getting reliable news made by the same people from a newspaper companies. But on social media anyone can post anything which can be incorrect or entirely fake but many well-known companies on social media are just there to spread real and accurate news as they know that social media is the fastest way of getting new information and facts so don't be fooled what is fake and what isn't. If you do still read news on social media,
    make sure the article has no spelling mistakes and is written and makes sense be careful and don't fall into the fake media world. Stay safe :)

• We think that news stories that directly effect the reader will be more likely to influence how someone would vote. People should be cautious of over ambitious claims during election periods and ensure they do further reading on topics without taking representatives word for it. News stories should always be researched further for their claims. People should be aware of fake news and ensure that sources have come from reputable sources especially on social media.

• Hello everyone,
    I would say that the media is good for elections because the media is very essential for many workers. Social medias are trusted by so many people because of the the good name they've gotten over these years.
    So many individuals dm not have time to seat and watch the contestants present their manifesto, so they can just be scrolling on any social media platform to get information from people who had watched it and shared on that platform.
    Social media has been tested and proven to be a very tentative and good plat form with all the information needed. The media would help individuals vote for elections without any doubt because people who are living witnesses to the presented manifesto would have shared their opinions about a contestants when many say good things about a particular contestants it would motivate people to vote and vote very well.
    Media can help to stop electoral malpractice with their comments, when so many people votes for a particular person and at the end another person wins it would bring chaos, anarchy and doom, their comments would have to be reviewed.
    Thanks

1. You say "social media has been tested and proven to be a good platform with all the information needed". What evidence do you have? And who might disagree with you?

2. What about the minority masses who don't have access to the media especially in villages , what will they do to access the media and access information that will help them .
      Again I don't agree that the media can help to stop electoral malpractice . Using the Nigerian 2023/ 2024 general elections , nothing was done and I don't think reviewing it will make any change and social media can also help in spreading fake news very fast .
      THANK YOU.

• To answer the question on wether or not the media is good or bad for elections, I would say that it's more or less balanced but leaning alittle more to the good side. The media reports everything and it's usually providing correct information and it is a GREAT way to educate yourself before doing anything. When it comes to elections the media will report about each and every party and what they do, what they dont do, and who speaks the truth and who lies because many reporters such as a famous one I know called Anas Aremeyaw Anas, He is a journalist who focuses human rights and corruption. With such a great journalist like him many corrupt parties were found out which helped to lead people to electing the right leader. We need to look for more people like him or else the truth might be covered up.

• I think involvement of media in government activities is both beneficial but worrying at the same time . On one side, contemplate how astounding it is that we have stages where up-and-comers can truly spread out their thoughts and let us in on what they're about. It resembles a major data buffet during political race time, with discussions and meetings presenting a wide range of viewpoints on the issues that matter. It assists us electors with getting a genuine feeling of where everybody stands. However at that point, there's the other side. When it's all said and done, come on, you can't reject that occasionally the media can be somewhat of a wreck. Counterfeit news, one-sided revealing, and so on. It resembles they're playing a round of phone with reality, and when it gets to us, it's completely wound up. Also, that is risky, you know? Since when individuals begin accepting all that electrifying stuff, it can truly meddle with how they see the world and how they vote. Take virtual entertainment, for instance. It resembles a favorable place for counterfeit news. Studies have demonstrated the way that that multitude of phony stories drifting around can really change how individuals think and even influence political race results. It resembles we're facing a daily reality such that reality is available for anyone, and that is not great for anybody. No doubt while I certainly see the worth in the media keeping things straightforward and considering people responsible, we've additionally became very cautious. We should be savvy purchasers of data, continuously addressing what we see and ensuring we're getting the genuine article. Since by the day's end, our votes count, and we want to go with sure we're settling on informed choices

• If there are news that a certain candidate has done something controversially bad, they are least likely going to be voted or wanted serving the office. And would end up changing a lot of peoples opinions.
    People will see most news of racism, homophobia, transphobia, misogynist or Zionist. People are able to navigate this if one person posts something on the Internet and it goes viral. More people will give the news more attention.
    This would cause people to quickly shift to the other candidate(s).
    I think the media is good for elections because it helps people from good opinions and get to know people going up for elections better. And have a better insight on what they want to do. This would be able to give people a more personal idea on who they want to vote. On the other hand, it'll make things better.

• According to me media is good for elections if it works in a transparent and unbiased manner. Media is beneficial because it provides with the stances of different political leaders on issues, helping us choose what's good for our nation. Media also increases public awareness about campaigns and other election related topiccs. Media holds political leaders accountable for their actions, this way citizens would know when a political leader breaks any rules. Media is also a very accessible way to communicate with bigger audiences through newspapers, TV, comics, phone etc. The news provided by media helps voters critically assess parties. So overall Media is a great for elections if it stays honest and transparent.

• I believe that the news stories that can affect voting include political scandals,economic issues, social issues, public health crises,for eight policy,national security, and coverage of political campaigns and debates.

It's different for everyone,though depending on what they believe and what going on in the world

When looking for news I suggest people look for accurate and trustworthy information from different sources. Try to avoid exaggerated,biased or mislead news. Discuss it with trusted adults to understand better.

Well the question of the impact of the media on elections could be both good and bad ( positive and negative )
    It cam provide valuable information and promote transparency but it can also be biased or sensationalised depending on how the news could be thank you 😊

• I don't think the media is perfect, but it doesn't mean it's terrible either. There are times when the media tries to provide us with news about the candidates and their realities, as well as inaccurate information about the candidates and the election.

• In my view it is difficult not to be influenced when duringbelection time media bombard us with news around the voting.
    These days I think it is better to keep our mind away from news in order to go and vote according to our first beliefs.
    We can of course follow their political views but this can be done beforehand and not the last days.
    Media can help us but only when we can see that journalists share honest views by providing news about all political parties and without judging them.

• HELLO topical takers I agree with you because when some people want something to change the people go to the media and pay them money so that the media will say what they want to say instead of saying what right.
    For example, during election political parties invest huge sum of money to promote their candidate and political party. The media is charged with the sole responsibility of the outcome of the election.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

• Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about how news stories can affect our voting decisions. It seems like newspapers often focus on the negatives of some candidates while only showing the positives of others. And this make us lean towards one candidate over another. But shouldn't we be making our decisions based on facts and what the candidates have done?

I believe that the news should be all about giving us the real deal on what each candidate has accomplished and what they stand for. No biased papers that try to make us support one candidate over another. Fake news can throw us off track and make us vote for someone who might not be the best choice.

The media can also be a great source of information if it's done right. It can help us see which candidate is going to make a positive impact on our country.
    So I believe that the media is positive and negative in elections.

1. The media is a very good tool in persuading people but I only think they should talk about the elections and not the candidates as it's pretty much black mail and if we choose someone who destroys our countries ravages our lands and causes riots and wars what would be left. The media has almost complete control over the minds of the people and something needs to be done.

2. Rightly said.
      In my opinion, the news should focus on providing unbiased information about each candidate's achievements and beliefs. Biased coverage that aims to sway our support towards a specific candidate should be avoided. Misleading news can lead us to make uninformed decisions and vote for less suitable candidates.

When done correctly, the media can serve as a valuable resource for understanding the potential impact of different candidates on our country. Thus, I believe that the media plays a dual role of both positively and negatively influencing elections.

Thanks......

• The media can be very influential over elections across the world. Different news broadcasters can very often provide a bias opinion on a political candidate or party; this can influence people to vote in certain ways as they are not provided a fair rounded report of all the available parties or candidates. There are often news stories which have been released by unreliable sources. this can cast a negative view on individuals or political parties.

Social media is a big news platform for young people but this is not monitored effectively and can often lead wrong or misleading information. People can become reliant and obsessed with information they are exposed to on social media. It is not just news platforms but also the opinions of other individuals that is plastered over social media. Peoples opinions can be very strong and one sided; they are less likely to give a rounded fair opinion covering all sides of the argument and this can become persuasive and misleading to others.

People should form their own opinions after reading different political parties or individuals manifestos rather than rely on one source. People should not feel pressured to vote in the same trend as their friends or families. It should be a individuals decision and people should take it seriously as it effects their future.

• I think that if media provides balanced information and remain unbiased, it is undoubtedly good for elections. Media provides many incidences, situations and information regarding what has happened and what will. But, media offers views of some parties and they criticize others, they work in favor on one, which means they work partially. So, we don't receive the best information, because it has some truth and some incorrect or untold incidences.
    Thus, if media do not support one party and provides everyone's opinions, it is not at all bad for elections.
    Secondly, in a country like India, elections play a major role and citizens believe in elections, they from all over India watch news regarding elections, and if the news provided to them are not fair and if it's fake, people would largely criticize media and over all impact won't be good.

• 'Media' is a term which plays an important role in a democratic country it helps us to play an important role as a aware citizen of our country..but nowdays the nws around us is usually not real..but how?.. because today media is not that independent to bring up real news infront of us...today what we see in the news is generally influential or fake..now the media which was known for its real news is being supportive to wealthy people it's a shame for a democratic country to have situations like these especially during elections when a citizen has to caste his or her vote to give the responsibility of thier country to the hands of true and hardworking candidate... independent media is one of the important pillar of a democratic society to tell what's good and bad for us and our country's future..for a 18 year young person to cast their vote require an honest review of each candidate..this all can happen only if the media is able to protect itself and us from being control with any particular community or candidate and this will lead to safe and secure future tommorow for our country...!!

• i think that media is a good tool for election because with media it can spread information of election with media it will encourage people to vote.

1. What might be some disadvantages of the media during elections?

1. hi!
        Social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, and Google hold the potential to alter civic engagement, thus essentially hijacking democracy, by influencing individuals toward a particular way of thinking.

2. hi!
        Social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, and Google hold the potential to alter civic engagement, thus essentially hijacking democracy, by influencing individuals toward a particular way of thinking.

• During an election, it is important for people to be mindful of the news they consume. Certain news stories can influence how individuals choose to vote, so it's crucial to seek out information from reliable and unbiased sources. It is advisable to look for news that presents a balanced view of different perspectives on important issues. People should be cautious of sensationalized or clickbait headlines, as they may not provide accurate information. By being selective with the news they consume and considering various viewpoints, individuals can make well-informed decisions during election season.

1. How could someone know if the source they have chosen is a reliable news source, discreet_lynx?

• If media function unbiased and not influenced by any political party they provide useful information to all the voters.
    Fake news can lead to tragic situations when a not suitable leader can be elected and create big problems to the country because of mishandling such as unbearable taxes, destruction of economy, miscommunication between neighboring countries.
    Media owe to citizens the truth and show the facts as they are. They shouldn't take a stand or misinform if they want the best for their country

1. I think that this is a very good observation. Can you think of any ways to make sure that the media are unbiased and do not decide to report fake news in order to support a particular political party, regardless of what the truth is?

1. Hi Phil , such a difficult response for me . I do not know how to provide the best ways but for me it all depends on the ethics of a reporter/ journalist and of course the company someone works.
        A journalist is the best person to provide accurate information and on this is based the ideology of his job
        A person that wants to do his job in the best way is the person who will provide only the truth no matter what

• In my opinion, I believe that negative news about a chosen candidate can influence how people vote. However, if the candidate is known for their integrity, patriotism, and sincerity, the impact may be limited. Additionally, economic hardships in the country can also sway voters away from the candidate's party. For instance, in Nigeria, before the last election, the government introduced a policy for a cashless economy, which made it difficult for people to access cash. This policy led to a shift in people's party preferences, highlighting how government actions, rather than news coverage, can influence voting decisions.

• Hi, topical talkers! I think that people should be very careful with negative and positive news about certain political parties. For example, a political party which hasn't done much in the previous years, but has started to work extra hard lately: In my opinion, it should be crystal clear that they are doing it all for votes. I doubt that they will continue to get involved in solving different matters, after the elections. The chances of them continuing afterwards is quite low. From my point of view, it is a bit shameful to try to trick people into voting you like that. Unfortunately, plenty of people are willing to do it. I believe that people should consult not only the current news, but also news from the past. That way, they will be able to see who has actually done something and deserves to be voted. Since the media is pretty much our only possibility of knowing what is happening and who is doing what, I think that the sources are crucial. In my opinion, a source that has lied before is very likely to do it again. I believe that once you have started doing something, it is particularly hard to stop. I am totally willing to offer people a second or even third chance, but I wouldn't really risk it when it comes to something with such a big impact, like elections. I would much rather be safe, than sorry.

• I think if people see fake news before they vote, they may end up voting for a candidate that will be unreliable, dishonest or do not have the interest of the people at heart. This will only mean that the people are mislead and the country is doomed from the beginning .

1. I think that is a really good point. Do you think that there is anything people could do to check whether a piece of news they have seen is fake news or not before they vote?

1. While I'm not the original commenter, I believe that a good way to check if news is fake is to check with multiple reliable sources. Oftentimes, when a news story is true multiple news stations would report on it. Along with that, you can check online to see if a news story is reliable. In the article (if they have one) about the story, check for sources and the source's website domain. Generally, the most credible website domains are .edu and .gov. If the sources they used are .edu or .gov, it will most likely be reliable.

• I personally think that media are the most important think for elections because they are the ones that publish allí the campaines yo the public si peoplr can vote for their favourite candidate. The bad think of this is that they media can get influenced by their interests for the best candidates and hoe they can benefit thenselves.

• I think the media can be both a good and a bad tool for elections. It can be good for campaigning, and informing the consumer on what the candidate plans on doing to help the country. The media is also seen all over the world, which would be very helpful for the people running. But the media is also known for lots of lies. You cant trust everything you see on the internet, the media can spread rumors about the other candidate. For example, in the 2020 U.S elections, on television, social media, newspapers, etc, there were so many many ads talking bad about Biden and Trump. These ads can affect the way people vote by persuading them to vote for the "right" candidate. When looking at news, make sure it is coming from a reliable source.

1. You make some good points! How do you make sure your news comes from a reliable source?

1. You can make sure that your news comes from a reliable source by checking for credibility by doing a quick search to see if it is a reputable news outlet, checking if the article is written by a credible author, or even simply checking if the article is up to date. If you still aren't sure if its a reliable news source, try to find some more articles that may be more reliable.

• I believe the media could be a bad tool for elections. When people watch or listen to the media it can generate bias. If an idol that somebody looks up to endorses a president most people will vote for that president instead of thinking about it theirselves.

• In my opinion, I feel that the media is good for elections because it is a good way to get information about the election. The media can also promote certain candidates through ads. Because of this promotion, more people can vote for a candidate. People should try to avoid ads that are bashing on a candidate just to get them to vote for the person who made the ad. People should search for good information about the candidates though. Fake news can cause serious problems because if a bad candidate is saying bad stuff about a good candidate. More people will vote for the bad one.

• I would advise the people to find news about the election by watching television because not a lot of people use newspapers anymore. I think this idea would allow people to find news about the election easier.

• I think that I would tell people to focus, and to do research on all of the candidates before casting your vote. People might want to avoid looking at newspapers or articles posted by random people. I think that they should see more of the articles that are posted by the candidates about themselves.

• News stories can be good for elections, but only from trusted news sources that you may know will tell the unbiased truth. If when the person running was younger they did something that most people would see as 'problematic', it could ruin or lower their chance of being able to win the election. People should avoid news that is thrown into their face with "Vote for this person, because they're the best!", it gives no real reason and is usually just trying to get their own opinions out quick. Instead, people should look for news that gives real reasons as to why a certain person should be voted for and proof of their character. More than likely, you'll see the more opinion based news stories, that are just yelling in your face who you should vote for. You can stick with trusted news sources for information about who you would like to vote for. Seeing fake news that leads to who you vote for could lead to bad people getting positions of power(not like they haven't already), and this could have great negative impacts on the economy.

• The media can be both good and bad for elections. Perhaps a way that the media can be good for elections is from disclosing dreadful secrets that the candidate has kept hidden away. This would be for the purpose of knowing what that select politician has done wrong so the voters can be aware of the downsides that could happen if they would select that person for whatever role that they would be running for. The media can more than often be bad for elections since those candidates are at competition. This can lead to foul ways of winning by disclosing false or semi-false statements about their fellow competitors. When I would listen to the radio, I would often hear exceedingly negative statements about the competition just to give themselves the advantage. To combat this, voters should always listen to more than 1 source that is trusted and reliable. Politicians could sometimes also spread rumors about other entrants. Anyways this is just the average politician trying to run for a position so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they would do this.

• I think that the media is good for election because I think that a citizens of our respective countries, we would like to know what is going on in our countries and if we should be concerned about something, then the media would be our source and it very important to keep citizen of countries involved in the affairs of the country. I also think that although the media should be keeping us informed, it sometimes doesn't give u the full picture of an issue they only show the good part of the new instead of the good and bad especially in Ghana, when election time is around the corner, that is when our political leaders start to develop structures around their respective constituencies in order to get more vote from their people and I think this wrong and that the media should remain impartial when they are posting news stories. Thank You.

• Media has a great influence on the people. It can change the perspective of how the people will know a person, like good or bad. Media should be careful to not be bias to a political party especially during the elections because it can affect the views of the people.

1. Thank you charming context. This is very good point. We know however that media are often linked to one or another political movement. What do you think will help readers to view biais (e.g., a media literacy course at school, double check the information with other sources, etc.)?

1. As you said nowadays schools lack media education which helps them to navigate the complex media landscape and engage critically with the world around them.So i think it should be implemented in schools as it would helping in the later stages of their life for example like identify bias etc

• An unbiased media body is always good for an election as it will always present the truth about the candidates running for office. When an independent body presents both the positives and negatives of a candidate, the public will be better aware of who they are voting for, their principles, and what changes they will bring to the nation. I believe people should avoid news sources that are biased or paid by groups to mold the news, bending the truth. If people see fake news, they are most likely to give their precious votes to those who are undeserving or incapable of bringing the changes to the nation that the other party might be. Voters should distinguish between factual reporting and opinion, treating each accordingly. Social media platforms have become hotbeds for misinformation and "fake news”. Navigating this requires a critical eye and, whenever possible, verification of claims through reputable sources.

• I think the media is bad for elections, just like how the media convinces you to buy things I think it could persuade people into voting for someone if you don't look at all the facts. The media is known for only telling one side of stories and not having all the facts which could cause you to make bad decisions. If a person really wants to use the media to decide who to vote for during elections they should find sources that are neutral. They tell all the facts and not just what one candidate wants you to hear about them. If people listen to fake news they could end up voting for someone that doesn't have the people's best interest at heart. I would not recommend using media while looking for the right candidate, I say do your own research instead of just listening to the news or social media.

• I believe it's important for people not to avoid or pick and choose news sources. When you favor one news source over another, you might miss out on valuable information that could benefit you in the future.

The type of news people should pay attention to is global news, which provides insights into events happening around the world. By understanding global events, individuals can learn from different countries' governance practices and contribute to positive changes in their own country.

It's important to approach news with a critical mindset, considering both positive and negative aspects. For example, if a news story highlights something beneficial, one should take note of it, but also be aware of potential drawbacks or opposing viewpoints.

Encountering fake news, especially before an election, is harmful for both political candidates and the news industry. False information can damage a candidate's reputation and erode public trust, leading to legal consequences for the news outlets responsible.

News outlets play a crucial role during elections as they inform the public about candidates' platforms and help voters make informed decisions. They serve as a bridge between the government and the people, providing valuable updates on policies and candidates' promises.

• HEY! topical talkers.
    This topic is very interesting and compulsive which needs to be discussed on. The media is an online place where news and topics can be broadcast. Yes, the media can greatly affect elections. Journalists broadcasting news on elections could be false at times.Some journalists may want voters on the one side of the party and disregard the other side of the political party.By doing this, journalist may frame and plan against the other party.Just to get voters on their side.
    But even though the media can affect elections negatively, The media can also have other positive effects.
    But how do you know the media is always telling the truth?

• Media have the power to influence the public a lot .
    In a way they are the ones that can inform us who are the candidates of the election and what they represent.
    These are the news we need to hear and watch.
    I don't belive that media show fake news especially about politicians.
    Ok they may not reveal everything but not spread fake news.
    But if this happens, it can mislead the public and guide them into voting someone according to their preferences.
    How can we e sure the truth?
    By following the leaders actions through their campaign and by having the ability to judge them according to our values

• Well, it is obvious that when there is an election going on, people tend to be news consumers. However, in the media it is very frequent to witness fake news which are presented right before the start of elections. This often happens either because by promoting a specific candidate they can enhance their reputation and draw more attention and publicity or because they desire to satisfy their avail and financial needs.
    In my perspective, media plays an important role in how people perceive candidates and it also helps them cultivate their opinion. So, by watching a news stories which shows for instance a candidate doing something immoral and against political policies, people can change their mind and choose another one who seems more compelling and promising. Therefore, the media in my view, has a negative impact on people's view as it is possible that they are thinking about individual gain, not the collective one and they can also misinform people.

• In my opinion the use of media in election is very important in some of the case the people cannot vote to the right person by some difficulty so by the help of media we can keep people aware about that . And in comming generation we can do online election it will be easier than now election
    THANK YOU

• When consuming news around the time of an election, it is important to be critical and discerning about the information you are receiving. Like Be aware of bias,Fact-check information However, the media can also contribute to polarization, misinformation, and sensationalism. It is important for individuals to be critical consumers of news and to seek out reliable sources of information. Ultimately, the media can be a powerful tool for democracy, but it is up to individuals to navigate it responsibly.

• I think the media is bad for the elections because anybody could post anything on there. Whether it's fake news or real news, we wouldn't know. Anybody could start rumors, and if people can't spot that it is fake news, then there would be even more conflict and hate. People will spread misleading information and could ruin the candidates' reputation. But, real government websites would provide us with accurate information that we can rely on.

• To me media is very good for the environment because, if there was a lockdown in a country that would hold its election in some weeks they can camping online let me give a scenario if politician A campings on the road only and politician B campaigns on the road and the media he will get more votes because he campaigned on both the road and in the media
    THANK YOU!

• When consuming news around an election, it's important to be critical and verify information from multiple reliable sources. Look for balanced reporting and fact-check claims before forming opinions. Stay informed, but also take breaks to avoid information overload.

• Greetings,
    Today, media can cause a great impact on any topic or field. Like wise,I think that media causes a balancement of good as well as bad things for elections. For the good effects, it can spread awareness in people about elections, choosing candidates,the country's situation, policies, election rights and many more . But it can also cause negative or bad effects like false information, biasness etc. causing damage to the country. I think that people should look for the country situation, election rights and both good and bad aspects for full information .
    Thank you

• I believe that the media has both good and bad things to do with elections. The good thing is letting the people know about the candidates giving them a chance to expand their platform to get more votes. But the bad thing is misleading information because if one person didn't like a candidate and started to spread bad rumors on the media it can seriously affect the candidates campaign which could lead to losing elections if the rumours get popular enough. This is why I believe candidates have to be extra careful with the media and what they say while being exposed to it.

• I guess that the media is very important when it comes to elections because candidates who are not truthful are prone to cheat during elections, and the only way that people can find out is through the media platforms like face book, WhatsApp, Instagram and so many more.
    You could also use the social media to support a candidate during the elections by sending videos, audios, pictures and flyers about a canister either to support a candidate or to expose the candidates wrong deeds, to decrease the votes that the candidate is likely to get.

• Yes I think media is good for elections because it's a wide way way to spread who and why to vote for a candidate. It shows people what decisions to make when voting. But it can also be bad because media can spread fasle information. But in general this is the quickest way for candidates to try and make you vote for them.

1. Yes, I agree with you free_armadillo the media is a very good medium to spread the news about elections because it is the most seen platform around the world, the media is like the press, it speaks the truth and factual findings that people post on it, this way people may be able to know the truth about the campaigners and it will be easier for them to decide who they are voting for. But at the same time the media is a great influencer that many people take to their own advantage, some liars may post wrong and false news on campaigners and sabotage their campaigns. All in all the media is the easier, faster and accurate for the people to decide.

• well news stories which can influence an individual's perspective of a leader to vote is what he/she has done in the past or through the ages ,to be honest we as Nigerian citizens never voted for bola Ahmed tinubu most us believe that he came into power after some fraudulent practices ,the reason why most Nigerians were so reluctant when he won was because the people had heard a few things about him that discouraged them from voting him as president but it may have been that the people were not listening to official news about him ,rather they were listening to rumors about him which caused people to despise him in such a short period of time ,and usually it is more of the rumors that people see about a person they do not see most of the official news about the individual that is being spoken about ,another issue is that the rumors might have not even been true ,we as Nigerians were anticipating peter obi as our leader because the news that we have heard about him,but we do not know if he had other intentions(other suspicious intentions).

• During the lead-up to an election, it's crucial for individuals to approach news consumption with a critical mindset. Diversifying news sources allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the political landscape, as different outlets may provide varying perspectives on candidates and issues. Verifying information before sharing helps combat the spread of misinformation, which can be rampant during election seasons. Considering the political leanings of news sources can also provide context to their coverage, helping individuals recognize potential biases. By focusing on substantive reporting that delves into policy positions and election platforms, rather than sensationalism or personality-driven narratives, individuals can make more informed decisions at the ballot box. Engaging with critical thinking skills enables individuals to discern fact from fiction and navigate the complex media landscape with confidence and discernment.
    Thanks!

• The role of media in elections is complex and multifaceted, neither inherently good nor bad, but rather dependent on various factors. On one hand, media serves as a crucial platform for disseminating information about candidates, their policies, and the electoral process, thus fostering informed citizenry and promoting democratic participation. It can hold politicians accountable by scrutinizing their actions and statements, serving as a watchdog for the public interest. Additionally, media can amplify diverse voices and perspectives, facilitating dialogue and debate on important issues. However, media can also perpetuate sensationalism, bias, and misinformation, which may undermine the integrity of the electoral process and manipulate public opinion. Ultimately, the impact of media on elections depends on its adherence to journalistic principles of accuracy, impartiality, and integrity, as well as the critical engagement of the audience in evaluating and discerning information. Thus, while media can be a powerful force for democracy, its influence on elections is contingent upon its ethical conduct and the discernment of its audience.
    Thanks!

• I say that to consume news it is best to do your own research on trusted websites. (such as .gov .edu) Websites that end in .gov or .edu are the best for research because they are either government or education websites. Websites like Wikipedia allow anyone to edit and create false evidence this could affect how people vote and/or choose how they move on with life.

• Media plays a vital role to present or convey any information. Most of the people just accept all things which is shared by media even they don't confirm is it wrong or right. But our educated young nation and social media is very very updated they can raise their voices against any issue. But we can say media role is so powerful in society. We have to be careful and do research before accepting any given information. Some people believe on the fake need without research they are effected it's consequences and later understand why we believe on media.

• Hello,
    Media and elections , good or bad?
    Personally I think that the media is a great tool for politicians during election time . I think this because the politician will be able to show their country what they can do for their country . This would also work the opposite way round and media might prove that they are not a very good politician which will mean a better person might be elected .
    On the other hand, people may think that media is not good for elections as it can change someone mind about the election . People may think that this is bad because as a member of the public you should only think for your beliefs and not try and join a crowd .
    Overall I think that media is good for elections and it will show the members of that country what politicians are like .
    Thank you for reading,
    Good day .

1. I agree with you. With the increase of media and especially social media we are now informed about everything.
      Politicians can present to us their views and their plans for the future of our country and then we can judge whether we will follow their opinions.
      Additionally media is the only fast medium of information. So voters can have the opportunity to learn what the leaders are doing and saying almost daily.

• I think people should sometimes avoid bad news.I think that looking at the bad news can make you sad and want to shut yourself off from the world.Especially seeing violence and other bad things.So maybe every now and then you can get caught up with some bad news ut you should not always be exposed to it.

• Hello!
    I think that people should make sure that the source where they get information is reliable because people might post fake news about a candidate that a citizen has decided to vote for, and the voter's decision might change on his or her vote. News consumers should avoid posts making negative statements about a candidate because the person might just want to attract a kind of confusion and change of mind in voting. I think the media is explicitly bad for elections because fake news might be published, and it can affect the voters decision. So, I feel that the best solution is to block all social media pages until elections are over so in this case, the only source of news, will be the TV news which is highly reliable.
    Thank you!

• I feel that media can be useful tool for the people to understand what is going around in the country and get deep information about political parties and their policies if media is unbiased. Unfortunately, according to my opinion, not all media and news platforms are unbiased these day, especially in India. Needless to say that most of the population can be swayed by the power of news and media, this may include religious events, attending to only good policies of one party, rumours and in general praising. Rumours are another key factor in this area, giving and example without revealing identities, recently some news channels had started the rumour of a major opposition party leader joining the party in power, this way not at all true, in fact there was nothing even related to this going on in the state. Now we all can imagine that with this piece of information coming from the news, people supporting that particular leader might start to support the other party. This is just an example of how some media sources have become a political stunt(this is just my thought process, I don't want to pinpoint anyone). Now there still are many positive factors to media in elections, while some media sources may be biased there still exists many that are mainly focused on delivering the truth and current affairs to the people. If people recieve the right facts about all parties and elections equally, media can be a valuable asset for the elections. Needless to say there is still hope left with many major news sources being unbiased. I suggest that we should be promoting these channels so that the whole country can prosper.

• Some news stories that might affect how people vote are negative ones. For example, if there is a very popular candidate that's is about to win an election and a negative or not so good news story or report comes out then many people might not be very encouraged to vote for that certain person anymore. Also, positive news stories might affect how people vote as well because if a positive news story comes out about a person it might encourage people to vote for that person instead of someone else. Some news that people should look for are positive ones. I think that people should look at positive news stories and reports because it can influence their decision and help them make the best vote for them. People should see less of negative news stories. People should avoid seeing these because this can change the way that people see a certain person. They should navigate this by turning bad news stories off. Some problems that might be caused if people see fake news stories before they vote is that a certain person might lose an election due to fake news.

1. Hi chatty_knowledge I like where you're coming from but if everyone turned off the negative news stories "off" then it would be a very one-sided view of the world. Do you think there might be a better way to find a balance?

• I think people should all the news that is somehow related to the works done by just political party as these may affect there vote and it is common tactic used by most political parties to take some of the most influential people in there team and make those guys speak publicly in favor of the party making tis image in public pure an clean.

• Media is a special and best tool for common people to know more about the happenings in their country and ongoing things around the globe. Media can be a boon too and can negatively impact people too. In India, we find media in every part of our routine, may a person doesn't watch television or may be busy. He will still get to know about the news and the media and the ongoing topics among them. It even becomes more active during elections and 2024 is playing a great significance because it might be our current prime minister's 3rd consecutive year of ruling. Thus we are every day noticing various things in the media about their view on politicians or the government. This also helps the people to know the correct person to vote.

• I believe that the media is good for elections. It makes us aware of what various parties are doing and what promises they are making. Many news channels also give a recap of all the things a particular party has done till date. With this, people can decide to either change the government or keep it the same.

It is also very beneficial to the political parties. Through media, they can analyze how many people are going to choose them and what are the needs of people. When the party is aware of the needs then only it will be able to take actions according to their wishes. This therefore is a win-win situation for the political party as they are getting people to choose them and the people as their voices are being heard through the media.

• In my opinion, it depends on the media used for the said elections. For instance, if we use a strongly moderated program, like talkobox (made up), we wouldn't have to worry about any issues with the people voting. However, if something like Twitter was used to hold elections, it could be very problematic because of the false information on the platform. Twitter also has millions of accounts, and people can create multiple accounts under the same alias to rig their candidate in favor. However, talkobox would be able to detect replicas by requiring you to be on the website for at least 1 day to vote. That is why I think we still need to wait to use media to vote.

• I think the media is more of a gateway for herding behavior in humans. Depending on whether you think that the government should be able to manipulate the psychology of humans to their advantage. And this herding behavior can be strengthened or weakened by the country’s voting system. An alternate voting system where candidates are ranked by each voter will weaken the effectiveness of herding behavior when it comes to voting. If everyone gets one vote (called plurality voting) and the majority wins, herding behavior has a stronger effect. I personally think that the media is neutral for the elections. I think that there’s a misconception that manipulation is a bad thing, when in reality, it surrounds us and guides us in a direction that you simply can’t resist.

• I think that some news stories that could affect how people vote could be advertisements that degrade other political parties by saying they do things better than others or saying they can do better and if people see that in the media they might be deceived into voting for someone that in reality, they would never vote for.

I think people should look for unbiased news on elections which look at all political parties in the same way without making one seem better than the other because this could allow the viewer to look at each candidate and choose who they truly believe will do good.

If people are too see fake news before they vote this could make things very unfair and unbalanced because fake news could be saying things about a political party that makes them seem bad or lesser and this could make people not want to vote for them when in truth, they could have been a better choice but because of the fake news, were degraded by it. Which is why i believe people should be very careful when looking at news about elections or any news in general because you want to make sure your getting real news and not fake news.

• In my opinion many news stories are biased because of the media. Many people trust what they find on the internet or sites such as TikTok or Facebook which leads to the spreading of fake news. This could lead to many problems such as a person supporting one candidate over another spreading false information about the one who they are not voting for so more people vote for who they want. The media spreads the word about elections and the top news stories of them but also causes controversy and even surfaces stories that could or could not be true that affect the votes from candidate to candidate. The media is neutral for elections as it depends on the information people lay their eyes upon whether it be false or true.

• I think media can sometimes be very useful during elections if the media house is not biased towards any political party . That's because if it is a supporter of the political party it will be very misleading. But is it happens to be non biased political group this will be very useful for the citizens to discover the reality of the political party , and what actually are the initiatives of that party and how can it benefit the citizen . this will improve the country as every political party with the fear of being exposed will now only do the rightful task developing the country new heights.

1. I think this is a good observation. Can you think of any ways that a citizen could determine whether a media house was biased to one particular political party?

1. Yes, A citizen can assess media bias by examining the sources, like ownership and funding, and analyzing the content itself. The citizen can include checking for emotionally charged language, unbalanced coverage, and missing perspectives. Citizens can Compare reports of the same event from different outlets with varying political leanings, fact-checking claims, and utilizing media bases to further analyze.

• I think that negative news stories might affect how people vote because they might have had something good in their minds that they wanted to vote about but then they hear something bad happening in the news and they might suddenly change their mind, or it could be the other way round. I think that people should avoid good news and bad news because if it was bad then you could start worrying about it too much and it might be difficult to concentrate on your work and might not be aware of your surroundings. However, if it was good news then you wouldn't be aware of what dangers there could be in the world and throughout your whole you could be thinking that this is a peaceful perfect world. Furthermore, multiple people see more of bad news than good, this is because there is a lot going on around the world and most of it is bad things happening: wars, climate change, killing and animals getting endangered. Moreover, if people would be given fake news and would find that it wasn't real then they most likely are to get cross and have arguments and fights with whoever informed them about it. Finally, I think that the media is good for elections as several people could join the discussion and have their ideas and opinions shared, also people who couldn't make it to the election in person can join too to get their ideas published. In addition to this, if someone disagrees with someone else and gets cross they are most likely to injure someone or have a fight with them -they were to be in person-, however if they are on the media then they are most likely to just text each other than having a fight and might even be able to solve the problem.

• Hello! I say that the media can be a good and bad tool for elections. This is because of the lasting affect on the media. If a presidential candidate post a video of them doing an activity to feed the homeless, people are going to remember that and take that into thought when they are voting. This is an example of a positive outcome from using the media for elections. On the other hand, if a presidential candidate says something outrageousness gets caught on the media, people might feel offended or hurt. They would feel obligated not to vote for that person. To conclude, the media can be a good and bad tool for elections. It has it’s good outcomes and it’s not so good ones.

• I think that the media is good for elections because it informs the people of the things that are going on in their country. Through the media people can share their opinion on these topics. What you see in the media will 100% influence your opinion but that's not always a bad thing . Even though there are risks, i believe that the media is very important to keep the people updated and aware of the current things going on with the candidates. If people aren't being informed they will be less interested in the matter and they might not even cast a vote or will do so at random. This is because during elections the media tries to encourage people to vote and without it then people might not feel that same pressure or encouragement.

• People might be affected by conflicts or diplomatic negotiations, cheating , scandals, the sudden change of a political leader. People should avoid Press news because there is no such thing as unbiased news sources this has to do with opinions , commentary, and analysis. People are very intrigued by negative news because that is what attracts the public eye. They are also interested i natural disasters, talk about celebrities, breaking news, news about where they come from they and this can be navigated by researching and checking the sources of the information as fake news spreads faster they also need to find professional journalism. I f people are exposed to fake news before elections they can be mislead, manipulated, diminish democracy. In my opinion I think media is both positive and negative for elections but i agree with elections having a big impact on elections as it gives accountability, public discussions, and also bring out convincing speeches for the public.

• I would give them these points:
    Diversify your news sources: To get a balanced perspective, try to read from a variety of sources, including those that may challenge your views. Be mindful of echo chambers and filter bubbles.
    Look for evidence-based reporting: Prioritize news outlets that provide factual information backed by credible sources, rather than opinions or rumors.
    Avoid sensationalism: News that evokes strong emotions may be designed to grab your attention, not necessarily to inform.
    Watch out for fake news: Verify information with multiple sources and fact-checking websites.
    Stay informed on key issues: Focus on news stories that cover important policy issues, candidate platforms, and voting procedures.
    Consider the impact of news on your decisions: Reflect on how your news consumption might influence your vote, and actively seek out alternative viewpoints to make an informed choice.
    As for the challenge, media plays a crucial role in elections by providing information to the public. It can be both positive and negative. On one hand, it helps voters make informed decisions. On the other, media can negatively impact elections by spreading fake news or biased information, increasing polarization, and influencing voter behavior. So it’s important to balance freedom of the press and responsible journalism to ensure media contributes positively to democratic processes.

• Hello everyone,
    I think that the media is a good thing for elections. However, you need to be careful because some media is not true or fake. firstly, you need to search about the election more than once. You might face a problem:
    which is fake and which is true? Well, in that point you will need to read and listen about the topic a lot and ask other people about it. Although, some people might fall in the fake ones so the situation for this problem is to start warning other people that this information is wrong.

Very well , so now we knew how to make sure if the information is fake or real and we also knew what should you do if fell in the fake information. So now let's answer the question: should you avoid the news?
    Well, should not avoid the news but you should also search more and more and get a lot of information about the topic before you do anything.

My advice to you is that do not only search once, search a lot about the topic before you do anything.